Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Another wembley defeat for hurst.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 183 Guests

Another wembley defeat for hurst.

This thread currently has 11,715 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
April 9, 2018, 11:37am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from ginnywings

He can take the crown abandoned by Slade. To be fair to Hurst, he has actually won stuff, albeit at a lower level. If you play the percentages as he does, you are as likely to lose as win.

I think PH is a decent Manager and he is very good at setting up a team and getting points on the board however when it comes to key games and getting the job done in big games he more often than not fails.Shrewsbury had more than an hour to break Lincoln down and failed and we saw this at Grimsby loads of times that shocking tactical nouse when Plan A failed it`s Paul Hurst`s Achilles heel .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 70
Impish2
April 14, 2018, 8:05am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +55
According to Clive Nates on the radio last night, the Cowleys are about to put pen to paper on another contract at Lincoln. Doesn't look likely they will be going to Ipswich or anywhere else sometime soon. What it does do though is make another club have pay even more for compensation should they leave. Looks like they are still aiming to buy a house(s) locally to bring their families up from Essex too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 70
topuphere666
April 14, 2018, 8:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Impish2
According to Clive Nates on the radio last night, the Cowleys are about to put pen to paper on another contract at Lincoln. Doesn't look likely they will be going to Ipswich or anywhere else sometime soon. What it does do though is make another club have pay even more for compensation should they leave. Looks like they are still aiming to buy a house(s) locally to bring their families up from Essex too.

Contracts mean nothing nowadays. They are probably signing the deal to safeguard Lincoln financially for a few more years. If you don’t go up I fully expect them to leave this summer. If you do get promotion then they’ll stay
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 70
HertsGTFC
April 14, 2018, 8:50am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Impish2

As someone once said "well he would say that wouldn't he"?.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 70
dapperz fun pub
April 18, 2018, 8:17am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from 1mickylyons

I think PH is a decent Manager and he is very good at setting up a team and getting points on the board however when it comes to key games and getting the job done in big games he more often than not fails.Shrewsbury had more than an hour to break Lincoln down and failed and we saw this at Grimsby loads of times that shocking tactical nouse when Plan A failed it`s Paul Hurst`s Achilles heel .

Similar pattern developing at the business end of the season again for hurst and take a look a Henderson for Charlton's second   , I fancy Rotherham for the play off spot winners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 70
diehardmariner
April 18, 2018, 8:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,600
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from Impish2

Anyone would have to pay compensation to Lincoln as both Danny and Nicky are under contract until 2021. Pocket money to some teams yes, but not for others.

I don't see any Lincoln fans thinking that the Cowleys will stay for ages, it's what happens and who we appoint in the future when they leave that will be important. The good news for us is the infrastructure and investment is in place to carry on (hopefully) but any manager appointment is a lottery.

It is a lottery and you only have to look at us to see how easy it is to get it wrong, very wrong.

When Hurst left the feeling was that we were in a strong position, we had a side that needed some subtle tweaks and we would have been there or thereabouts at the end of the season.  We were adopting a policy of bringing talent through from non-league with a view to operating at a profit and despite a complete lack of effort from the club, gates were up.

Some even felt that Hurst moving on was the right time, that he had taken us as far as we could go, that a new manager was needed to take us to the next level.  I was one of those.  The appointment of Bignot was widely acknowledged as a good one and exactly what we needed, in reality it was a disaster followed by an even bigger disaster six months later.  Within a year our hope was gone, our policy of buying cheap to develop and sell was abandoned, we had a squad of aging journeymen and even worse the club blamed us for everything.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 70
RichMariner
April 18, 2018, 12:21pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
I was a big supporter of Hurst and was sorry to see him go. He was steady, if not spectacular - and, crucially, he delivered. It might not have been quick enough for some, but I enjoyed supporting us when he was in charge.

However, if there was one thing that really niggled away at me about his management was how his teams were far more expressive before the January transfer window, and then we'd tighten up and play safety-first football and do just enough to get where we (roughly) wanted to be.

Then we had no momentum for the play-offs.

I remember looking into our margins of victory before and after January. Generally speaking, our biggest wins were all before Christmas and our 1-0s followed in the new year.

Shrewsbury haven't been winning games by huge margins at all this year, but yet again it looks as though he's got his team playing tighter and more defensive since January.

It's a very obvious trend to me. Something happens to him in January. When things are going well, he'll never go for the jugular. He'll tighten up, play to not lose and do enough to make the play-offs - then it's difficult to break off the shackles of that mentality.

I do wish him well, and I'd like to see Shrewsbury in the Championship ahead of others that are in the race for promotion. But if you're an opposition manager you'll find a way to beat him at this stage of the season - it's one of his very few weaknesses.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 36 - 70
rancido
April 18, 2018, 12:27pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

It’s very effective though but agree it won’t work so well up the pyramid

It didn't do Wimbledon any harm when " The Crazy Gang " played for them. It's not what I want to watch but " the end justifies the means ".

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 70
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 18, 2018, 12:56pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from rancido

It didn't do Wimbledon any harm when " The Crazy Gang " played for them. It's not what I want to watch but " the end justifies the means ".

They were not the first team to do it. Watford were very successful even in Europe with a route one system under  Graham Taylor using Ross Jenkins height and Luther Blisset's speed. But the ace of Route One was John Beck, another former Lincoln manager who used this at Cambridge to batter the opposition into submission. He would leave long grass in the corners so they could belt the ball into the channels without it going off for a throw or goal kick. They would hose the pitch down before games and also soak the away dressing rooms which were left unheated in the winter.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 70
Impish2
April 18, 2018, 1:29pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +55
Quoted from topuphere666

Contracts mean nothing nowadays. They are probably signing the deal to safeguard Lincoln financially for a few more years. If you don’t go up I fully expect them to leave this summer. If you do get promotion then they’ll stay

We shall see, DC intends to bring his family up here and I don't think he would say that a few days ago if he intended on leaving in the summer. I don't doubt the contracts are about safeguarding us in case they leave, I just don't see them leaving in the summer regardless of whether we go up or not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Another wembley defeat for hurst.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.