Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Another wembley defeat for hurst.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 174 Guests

Another wembley defeat for hurst.

This thread currently has 11,664 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 23, 2018, 4:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
He no doubt has a limited budget and he has concentrated on the loan market. I think he has done well in his Hurstian percentage way. When you think they were relegation candidates when he went there he has turned things around. Certainly his sides are hard to beat but once again his team does not score goals. His leading scorer in the league only has 10.

Is it nerves that makes Hurst so conservative, so poor at tactical subs, or does he just not know how to inspire his team when the chips are down? Coming after the Lincoln game the fans are not surprisingly anxious. To struggle against Bury who have had a terrible season is a bit ridiculous when you need a win to stay in touch with the auto places. Almost as though they have given up, job done, let’s wait for the play offs. Maybe it will work but personally I would not wager on Shrewsbury to go up now.

I don’t know but I suspect Jolley could be a better bet in a one-off situation.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 70
1mickylyons
April 24, 2018, 7:30am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,260
Gold Stars: 54
He no doubt has a limited budget and he has concentrated on the loan market. I think he has done well in his Hurstian percentage way. When you think they were relegation candidates when he went there he has turned things around. Certainly his sides are hard to beat but once again his team does not score goals. His leading scorer in the league only has 10.

Is it nerves that makes Hurst so conservative, so poor at tactical subs, or does he just not know how to inspire his team when the chips are down? Coming after the Lincoln game the fans are not surprisingly anxious. To struggle against Bury who have had a terrible season is a bit ridiculous when you need a win to stay in touch with the auto places. Almost as though they have given up, job done, let’s wait for the play offs. Maybe it will work but personally I would not wager on Shrewsbury to go up now.

I don’t know but I suspect Jolley could be a better bet in a one-off situation.

I remember Town failing miserably to beat Guiseley at home under PH and the crowd were very frustrated by the lack of shots on goal.I agree his sides were usually hard to beat and excellent at grinding out results especially away from home but the Achilles heel was failing to kill teams off at home.Also overturning a goal deficit by virtue of no plan B seemed to crop up a few times.Based on results PH would merit 7/10 on the Manager scale for me which is very good but I don`t see him being higher .Most fans want fast attacking football and the end result of winning the prize and for that he would need to change something.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 70
Maringer
April 24, 2018, 10:37am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
7/10 would probably be right for me as well.

If he'd been a bit better, we'd have been competing for automatic promotion in the Conference a little more, despite being outspent by a few teams. The best managers can make something happen, even on limited resources. We were always 1 or 2 players away from being a really good side in the Conference - possibly due to budget constraints, I suppose.

I don't really think Hurst's tactical approach made a massive difference. Lower-division players aren't generally capable of free-flowing football and I was always quite happy when opposition teams tried to pass it out from the back as we'd invariably nab a chance or two.

My biggest issue for some years is that we've been really poor on the counter-attack and that's not something you can really get away with if you're going to defend in depth. Perhaps I was just spoiled during the Buckley Mk. I and II eras where we had some players who were very good at breaking forward?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 70
1mickylyons
April 24, 2018, 11:06am
Special Brew Drinker
Arnold,Amond and Bogle all displayed that ability usually fed in by Nolan
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 70
Maringer
April 24, 2018, 11:16am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Even with those players in the team, I remember us butchering no end of decent counter-attacking opportunities. Nothing compared to this season, of course, but still could have been better.

I suppose you have to expect that lower-division players won't be great on the break, but some of the passes and decision-making have been just dire over the past decade.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 70
1mickylyons
April 24, 2018, 11:27am
Special Brew Drinker
Over the recent years I have followed Town we always seem to have been short of midfield player`s who could link defence and attack with a killer pass or ghost past the opposition and make something happen at whatever level? Disley and Nolan were our best midfielders of recent seasons before that you would have to go way back to Bolland to find a decent midfielder in my opinion. I have grown to like Summerfield but his passing is a major flaw so is his lack of goals for minutes played however he would be the perfect foil for a Nolan type midfielder to kickstart the type of counter attacks we all long to see.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 70
KingstonMariner
April 24, 2018, 11:38pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Hurst really has 'overachieved' at Shrewsbury. He's done an excellent job there. Some of the same comments some of us made have surfaced at Shrewsbury apparently. One Shrews fan told me at the weekend that he always leaves it too late to make a substitution. I guess he's just spoiled though because he remembers them in the (proper) Second Division in the 80s  .

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 70
pen penfras
April 25, 2018, 7:31am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Maringer
7/10 would probably be right for me as well.

Interesting sentiment. 7/10 is what I would say for Hurst when here, however it appears to be being used as a way to say he wasn't that good. I'd say how many managers have we had that are better than 7/10? Probably only Buckley in my lifetime.

What Hurst has achieved at Shrewsbury is truly remarkable. To take a side that 18 months ago looked doomed, then turn it around and one year later be challenging for promotion is incredible. I'm sure some of their fans will be disappointed now, but if you offered them 3rd place last season, every single one of them would bite your hand off.

I don't expect Shrewsbury to get promoted through the play offs, but not because of Hurst. I think he had terrible luck when here in the playoffs. The problem for Shrewsbury is that they will be disappointed and their position will put more pressure on them. A team that just sneaks in has less pressure and is on a high from making it. It's a bit of a leveller psychologically.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 70
1mickylyons
April 25, 2018, 10:31am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

Interesting sentiment. 7/10 is what I would say for Hurst when here, however it appears to be being used as a way to say he wasn't that good. I'd say how many managers have we had that are better than 7/10? Probably only Buckley in my lifetime.

What Hurst has achieved at Shrewsbury is truly remarkable. To take a side that 18 months ago looked doomed, then turn it around and one year later be challenging for promotion is incredible. I'm sure some of their fans will be disappointed now, but if you offered them 3rd place last season, every single one of them would bite your hand off.

I don't expect Shrewsbury to get promoted through the play offs, but not because of Hurst. I think he had terrible luck when here in the playoffs. The problem for Shrewsbury is that they will be disappointed and their position will put more pressure on them. A team that just sneaks in has less pressure and is on a high from making it. It's a bit of a leveller psychologically.

7/10 is not meant to be a criticism I was giving what I think is a fair assessment of his ability and like you in my time he is only bettered by AB and arguably Laws? The point being can PH do better and get to 8 or 9 on a scale? Yes he can in my opinion because he is relatively young still but he would need to change and take more risk in games especially the big ones and personally I don`t see that happening?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 70
FishOutOfWater
April 25, 2018, 1:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Hurst really has 'overachieved' at Shrewsbury. He's done an excellent job there. Some of the same comments some of us made have surfaced at Shrewsbury apparently. One Shrews fan told me at the weekend that he always leaves it too late to make a substitution. I guess he's just spoiled though because he remembers them in the (proper) Second Division in the 80s  .

You've just brought back a very pleasant memory for me KM

First game of the 1980/81 season at Gay Meadow... and the first time I had ever seen us play at that level

Took an age to get to the ground as we'd been stuck in traffic for some country flower show but just made it there in time to see us as a 2nd Division side

A gloriously sunny day with Kev Drinkell equalising for us after going behind and everyone behind the goal going crazy

Don't think I'll ever see us at that level again but what great days they were following the Town  

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 69 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Another wembley defeat for hurst.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.