Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Another wembley defeat for hurst.
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 312 Guests

Another wembley defeat for hurst.

This thread currently has 11,717 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
April 9, 2018, 10:46am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from grimsby pete

AND

Hurst never moved in over 5 years.

No, but he never said he was intending to. I have heard several times over the last year that the Cowleys are looking to move to Lincoln. It's not that difficult if they meant it. I think it's probably wishful thinking by Imps fans, as they try to convince themselves that their manager will be staying around. Hurst wouldn't have stayed here for 5 years had he got us promoted as quickly as the Cowley's did with Lincoln. Good managers are ambitious managers and there is only so far they can go with Lincoln.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 70
Impish2
April 9, 2018, 10:56am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +55

The problem with Ipswich is well known - no money. To get a “name” would mean a big investment plus a bigger transfer budget than McCarthy’s. It must have crossed their minds that the Cowleys are relatively local and a manager on the way up is better than one on the way down.

As far as style of play, the Cowleys are bright. They will not clone the Lincoln method but they will use a higher pressure game than Ipswich fans have been used to. The Cowleys would be adaptable. Hurst isn’t. Shrewsbury are playing exactly like Grimsby just with some better players in a league where fewer sides are outright cloggers. Hurst will do OK, he may even get promoted but to win things he would have to be a lot better tactically in selections and during games.

Anyone would have to pay compensation to Lincoln as both Danny and Nicky are under contract until 2021. Pocket money to some teams yes, but not for others.

I don't see any Lincoln fans thinking that the Cowleys will stay for ages, it's what happens and who we appoint in the future when they leave that will be important. The good news for us is the infrastructure and investment is in place to carry on (hopefully) but any manager appointment is a lottery.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 70
Ipswin
April 9, 2018, 11:07am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from ginnywings

Been looking? For nearly 2 years?

Jolley moved here within the month.

True but houses are cheap on West Marsh  

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 70
ginnywings
April 9, 2018, 11:07am

Recovering Alcoholic
I think that should Lincoln come close to or win promotion this season, the sharks will be circling and someone will take a punt on them. Enjoy it while you can. That's all us smaller clubs can do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 70
ginnywings
April 9, 2018, 11:08am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Ipswin

True but houses are cheap on West Marsh  

Even cheaper on the East Marsh.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 70
Ipswin
April 9, 2018, 11:09am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Impish2

Probably is but I reckon a club like Ipswich will want a chosen name to take the reigns, maybe an ex player or someone that has more FL experience.  If/when they leave they owe us nothing, hoping we can get a little more time from them first.

Favourites are Tony Mowbray if they can prise him away from Blackburn or the current manager at Venlo in the Dutch Eredivisie

Private Message
Reply: 25 - 70
Ipswin
April 9, 2018, 11:10am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Even cheaper on the East Marsh.  

True! I can just see him stepping out of a terrace on Stanley Street

Private Message
Reply: 26 - 70
1mickylyons
April 9, 2018, 11:11am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
Might I suggest you see how many Manager`s Ipswich have had in the last 50 years and compare that to Lincoln or Grimsby it will be staggering? I would say the Ipswich job is one of the very best in football traditionally and you have the potential to really do well and sustain top flight football. This in turn could be in the case of the Cowleys who are young and should be ambitious a stepping stone to something bigger still West Ham for example who I believe they supported? The Cowley`s are on the way up but this is a golden period for them and in turn the Imps it won`t last it isn`t sustainable at Lincoln City even if they make League 1 or dare I say it the Championship. If they turn down Ipswich what are they waiting for realistically? Take Paul Hurst had a great Season on paper so far if they fail to get promoted and people track back through his results he consistently gets teams up the top of the table but seldom delivers a prize.This will handicap him with potential suitors he will aquire the rep of being a nearly man.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 70
ginnywings
April 9, 2018, 11:28am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Ipswin

True! I can just see him stepping out of a terrace on Stanley Street

In full riot gear.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 70
ginnywings
April 9, 2018, 11:32am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Might I suggest you see how many Manager`s Ipswich have had in the last 50 years and compare that to Lincoln or Grimsby it will be staggering? I would say the Ipswich job is one of the very best in football traditionally and you have the potential to really do well and sustain top flight football. This in turn could be in the case of the Cowleys who are young and should be ambitious a stepping stone to something bigger still West Ham for example who I believe they supported? The Cowley`s are on the way up but this is a golden period for them and in turn the Imps it won`t last it isn`t sustainable at Lincoln City even if they make League 1 or dare I say it the Championship. If they turn down Ipswich what are they waiting for realistically? Take Paul Hurst had a great Season on paper so far if they fail to get promoted and people track back through his results he consistently gets teams up the top of the table but seldom delivers a prize.This will handicap him with potential suitors he will aquire the rep of being a nearly man.

He can take the crown abandoned by Slade. To be fair to Hurst, he has actually won stuff, albeit at a lower level. If you play the percentages as he does, you are as likely to lose as win.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Another wembley defeat for hurst.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.