March 27, 2018, 5:25pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Civvy at last

I think the quality of the opposition might have something to do with it Pete 🤔

I suspect that our first team would struggle to score against a side from the blind Olympics.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
oochiad
March 27, 2018, 5:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,716
Gold Stars: 28
Leaky defence in the reserves also......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 27, 2018, 6:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Civvy at last

I wouldn't have thought so.  I reckon he's the most talented of our strikers.  Just happens to have the worst attitude !!

Totally agree, iffy attitude but if we want someone to hold the ball and hopefully score the odd goal then think he is as good as we have, maybe not the greatest compliment but may be worth a try if we are trying to play the ball on the floor.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 22
sam gy
March 27, 2018, 6:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
It’s an odd one with Hooper. I think he’s scored the same amount as Matt, with less than half of the amount of starts. So you’d assume if he’d have started the same amount of games we’d have had a few more goals!

There’s something not quite working for him though.

As for the ressies, I think we made a bunch of changes and brought on youngsters towards the end.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
sonofmadeleymariner
March 27, 2018, 7:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from sam gy

There’s something not quite working for him though.

Same thing that wasn't working for him at Vale he's lazy. All the quality in the world won't get you anywhere without effort.

I don't mind Roy Keane making ÂŁ60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
Mighty_Mariner
March 27, 2018, 7:35pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
I still maintain that Hooper is probably our most technically gifted striker, however he let's himself down with his work ethic at times. Unfortunately you can't coach heart!

I've never understood professional footballers who don't give 100% every game. Do they not realise how long lucky they are to be able to play football and get paid for it. Surely the very least a fan can expect is every player working their socks off and putting their bodies on the line.

How a player can walk off the pitch knowing they've given less than the required effort and still look at themselves in the mirror!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 27, 2018, 9:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
I still maintain that Hooper is probably our most technically gifted striker, however he let's himself down with his work ethic at times. Unfortunately you can't coach heart!

I've never understood professional footballers who don't give 100% every game. Do they not realise how long lucky they are to be able to play football and get paid for it. Surely the very least a fan can expect is every player working their socks off and putting their bodies on the line.

How a player can walk off the pitch knowing they've given less than the required effort and still look at themselves in the mirror!

Totally understand where you are coming from, as most of us would give our right arm to play football (or have the ability to) at any decent level.

But, am sure many of us have walked into our office/workplace and thought 'what am I doing here/I can't be bothered today'

It's a shame, because walking onto a pitch in front of 4000 people in a (half decent!) stadium, should be enough to put a spring in your step

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 22
jamesgtfc
March 27, 2018, 10:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,956
Gold Stars: 190
The thing I don't get with footballers not putting effort in is the potential financial rewards on offer in what is a short career. At the top end of League 1, wages can be life changing and even more so as you progress up to the Premier League.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
Maringer
March 28, 2018, 12:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
I think Hooper probably covers plenty of ground when he plays so there isn't perhaps the lack of effort that you might think. It's just that he's not a battler - he's not going to back into defenders and doesn't get 'stuck in' in the way that some players do. This is why it was a terrible idea to try and play him as a target man, something which Slade attempted a few times. He took his goal against Colchester pretty well, as I recall - outpaced the defender, held off the challenge and finished well so he's not completely lacking in effort.

I know he played alongside Vernon in a few games, but has he ever played alongside Matt? Might be worth a punt, especially if we can get wide men putting some crosses into the box.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 22
Northbank Mariner
March 28, 2018, 1:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
And to make things worse, look at the tweets from yesterday, Kelly was delivering "great balls" into the box........never seen a decent ball into our opposition box all season and if we ever do Matt would be there but couldn`t reach it as he hasn`t got the ability to jump over a snake!!....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Reserves Face Stags

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.