Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 27, 2018, 10:43am

Starting Xl: Killip, Hall-Johnson, Sawyer, Keeble, Kelly, Jaiyesimi, Hooper, Cardwell, Powells, Saunders, Slater.

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/march/reserves-face-stags/
Posted by: Tommy, March 27, 2018, 3:15pm; Reply: 1
https://twitter.com/officialgtfc/status/978629345454510080?s=19
Posted by: devs, March 27, 2018, 3:36pm; Reply: 2
Is the above a urine take?
Posted by: Civvy at last, March 27, 2018, 3:39pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from devs

I wouldn't have thought so.  I reckon he's the most talented of our strikers.  Just happens to have the worst attitude !!
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 27, 2018, 3:44pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from devs

I'd say not

Didn't you see his goal against Wycombe earlier in the season? Best individual goal from a Town player this season I'd say
Posted by: Tommy, March 27, 2018, 3:54pm; Reply: 5
Finished Town 3-5 Mansfield after Town were 3-1 up. Some very late Mansfield goals (maybe after some changes I don't know).

Goals: Hooper, Cardwell, Jaiyesimi (pen)
Posted by: darren9, March 27, 2018, 4:05pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I'd say not

Didn't you see his goal against Wycombe earlier in the season? Best individual goal from a Town player this season I'd say

Not much competition though is there?
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 27, 2018, 4:18pm; Reply: 7
How come the reserves can score plenty but the 1st team find it nearly impossible ?
Posted by: Civvy at last, March 27, 2018, 4:19pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from grimsby pete
How come the reserves can score plenty but the 1st team find it nearly impossible ?

I think the quality of the opposition might have something to do with it Pete 🤔
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 27, 2018, 4:30pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from darren9

Not much competition though is there?

That is very true! 😉
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, March 27, 2018, 5:25pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Civvy at last

I think the quality of the opposition might have something to do with it Pete 🤔

I suspect that our first team would struggle to score against a side from the blind Olympics.

Posted by: oochiad, March 27, 2018, 5:30pm; Reply: 11
Leaky defence in the reserves also......
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, March 27, 2018, 6:11pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Civvy at last

I wouldn't have thought so.  I reckon he's the most talented of our strikers.  Just happens to have the worst attitude !!

Totally agree, iffy attitude but if we want someone to hold the ball and hopefully score the odd goal then think he is as good as we have, maybe not the greatest compliment but may be worth a try if we are trying to play the ball on the floor.
Posted by: sam gy, March 27, 2018, 6:16pm; Reply: 13
It’s an odd one with Hooper. I think he’s scored the same amount as Matt, with less than half of the amount of starts. So you’d assume if he’d have started the same amount of games we’d have had a few more goals!

There’s something not quite working for him though.

As for the ressies, I think we made a bunch of changes and brought on youngsters towards the end.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, March 27, 2018, 7:31pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from sam gy

There’s something not quite working for him though.

Same thing that wasn't working for him at Vale he's lazy. All the quality in the world won't get you anywhere without effort.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, March 27, 2018, 7:35pm; Reply: 15
I still maintain that Hooper is probably our most technically gifted striker, however he let's himself down with his work ethic at times. Unfortunately you can't coach heart!

I've never understood professional footballers who don't give 100% every game. Do they not realise how long lucky they are to be able to play football and get paid for it. Surely the very least a fan can expect is every player working their socks off and putting their bodies on the line.

How a player can walk off the pitch knowing they've given less than the required effort and still look at themselves in the mirror!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, March 27, 2018, 9:01pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
I still maintain that Hooper is probably our most technically gifted striker, however he let's himself down with his work ethic at times. Unfortunately you can't coach heart!

I've never understood professional footballers who don't give 100% every game. Do they not realise how long lucky they are to be able to play football and get paid for it. Surely the very least a fan can expect is every player working their socks off and putting their bodies on the line.

How a player can walk off the pitch knowing they've given less than the required effort and still look at themselves in the mirror!

Totally understand where you are coming from, as most of us would give our right arm to play football (or have the ability to) at any decent level.

But, am sure many of us have walked into our office/workplace and thought 'what am I doing here/I can't be bothered today'

It's a shame, because walking onto a pitch in front of 4000 people in a (half decent!) stadium, should be enough to put a spring in your step
Posted by: jamesgtfc, March 27, 2018, 10:12pm; Reply: 17
The thing I don't get with footballers not putting effort in is the potential financial rewards on offer in what is a short career. At the top end of League 1, wages can be life changing and even more so as you progress up to the Premier League.
Posted by: Maringer, March 28, 2018, 12:19pm; Reply: 18
I think Hooper probably covers plenty of ground when he plays so there isn't perhaps the lack of effort that you might think. It's just that he's not a battler - he's not going to back into defenders and doesn't get 'stuck in' in the way that some players do. This is why it was a terrible idea to try and play him as a target man, something which Slade attempted a few times. He took his goal against Colchester pretty well, as I recall - outpaced the defender, held off the challenge and finished well so he's not completely lacking in effort.

I know he played alongside Vernon in a few games, but has he ever played alongside Matt? Might be worth a punt, especially if we can get wide men putting some crosses into the box.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, March 28, 2018, 1:14pm; Reply: 19
And to make things worse, look at the tweets from yesterday, Kelly was delivering "great balls" into the box........never seen a decent ball into our opposition box all season and if we ever do Matt would be there but couldn`t reach it as he hasn`t got the ability to jump over a snake!!....
Posted by: Cloudy, March 28, 2018, 1:41pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
And to make things worse, look at the tweets from yesterday, Kelly was delivering "great balls" into the box........never seen a decent ball into our opposition box all season and if we ever do Matt would be there but couldn`t reach it as he hasn`t got the ability to jump over a snake!!....

Dont believe what comes out of the clubs twitter feed ( especially during games) I've seen things like 'just past the post' when a shot is closer to the corner flag or 'blocked on the line' when the shot has barely reached the penalty spot.
Posted by: lowerfindus, March 28, 2018, 3:02pm; Reply: 21
I was at the game yesterday and JJ did indeed hit a fine shot into the top corner and Sam Kelly did out some decent crosses in. It was a mix of youth and first team and there where a couple of promising performances against a young but huge bunch of Mansfield hackers.

Our two centre backs where too small to cope with their strikers but our young left back Oli Saunders (I think) looked half decent aswell as Sawyer in midfield. Hall Johnson had a good game and it was interesting to see Jolley constantly getting him to over lap the winger and attack he space confront of him. If he gets our first team full backs doing that we will all be pleased.

Had a chat with Jolley at half time and he was very interesting to chat footy to. Watched the whole game. Buckley, woods also viewing the game with Wilko running things from the sidelines.

Might be a few more injured players back in contention for friday going on what he said. The issues with fragile minds is definitely a massive problems. More so than actual ability.
Posted by: Mariner_09, March 28, 2018, 3:16pm; Reply: 22
The issue of fragile minds has been the case even into last season as we only collected 4 points from losing positions all season (all of them against Carlisle) so this isn’t a new thing. It’s certainly something Jolley needs to sort out in the short term and long term as it’s a big problem if you conceded first every week.
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 11:36am