Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Next Manager Odds
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 290 Guests

Next Manager Odds

This thread currently has 36,097 views. Print
20 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Mighty_Mariner
February 15, 2018, 12:09pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Ipswin

So some out of work 'bigger' name (or some lower league unknown) comes in after Wilko's two games on a two year, or even a six month contract, and loses the next two, then what do we do? It could go on and on and on

I don't have absolute confidence in Wilkinson (and I certainly don't have confidence in Fenty and Co to pick the right man in a panic stricken rush) but if anyone knows the squad and can change things quickly because of that more intimate knowledge then its him obviously. He appears to have done intercourse all I agree but how much of that was down to Slade we don't know. I certainly think the players will react to him and pull together.

We're not going down anyway it's a massive over reaction

I agree that our position is perilous but I don't think we'll go down, luckily there appears to be a few teams that are even worse than us.

The point with appointing someone external is a fresh set of eyes with no pre-conceptions, and can view the players and squad as a whole with a complete clean slate. The players also may just see Wilko as an extension of Slade.

Whichever way we decide to go it's going to be a gamble, it's just I think it's slightly less of a gamble with someone with recent management experience.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 197
davmariner
February 15, 2018, 12:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,911
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from BIGChris
Anyone who knows me will know that I am very concerned about the running of GTFC at boardroom level, however I do have some sympathy over having to make another choice of manager.
Over recent years the club have tried many ‘types’ of solution. Promote from within similar to the way Liverpool did in their glory years? Groves, Rodger, Woods  are hardly a ringing endorsement of this although going back a little further Dave Booth certainly was.
Get an experienced manager in some will tell you. In the modern game Russell Slade was about as experienced as they come whilst Mike Newell had also a fair few games under his belt as a manager.
Get a younger, up and coming manager? Marcus Bignot seemed like a kid in the sweetshop and not just with a taste for ‘fruitloops’.
The above illustrates that it isn’t just the ‘type’ of manager but the man himself who we hope will make the difference. It really does seem that there is a fair amount of ‘luck’ involved in football management selection given that so many are dismissed as failures within 18 months or so. This is far from a Grimsby Town phenomena.
Looking at the candidates linked on social media, Phil Brown and Stuart McCall fit the experienced selection, Paul Wilkinson the ‘in-house’ choice whilst Craig Elliott carries the flag for up and coming. Robbie Stockdale gets lots of support but I understand he has not applied but would certainly be interested in chatting if the club asked.
I would not rule anyone in, or out, but I would want answers from any candidate to help be see the wood from the trees. Playing style is more important now that maybe in the past, primarily because of the way so many fans saw the reign of Russell Slade. We need a manager who will at least try to play the right way, a passing style but maybe just a winning one for the time being! I hope the board don’t underestimate the value of getting the fans onside for once
I would desperately want someone with serious drive & ambition. One of the things that stood out for me about Paul Hurst was his work ethic. Virtually every single night, he and Chris Doig were out watching games, building up a virtual encyclopaedic knowledge of players. I appreciate he wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea but for me he was always likely to be successful because of the effort he put in and the camaraderie he built within his squads.
Is drive and ambition limited to the up and coming or even a first time manager?  Kevin Phillips, Sol Campbell, Cameron Toshack or Danny Butterfield all fit the ‘first time’ type although Butterfield is a bit left field given his very limited experience.
I doubt it would be feasible to get someone like Gary Brazil? An experienced ‘developer’ of talent who has stood in on several occasions as a caretaker at Forest. This choice would get by backing if the club were to go along with my views about trying to build a DNA for GTFC.  This involves a policy of bringing our youth players through but also getting ourselves known as a club where youngsters released from higher up the footballing food chain get a chance, provided they have the right attitude. Brazil would be ideal in this sort of ethos and his knowledge of the early 20 somethings at many clubs would be really useful.

Maybe the way to go is a younger guy with an experienced head alongside? A Morecambe and Wise or even a Bignot and Slade!!
I think all the above really tells us is that there is no right or wrong. The board just need to do the background checks, speak to people in the game and keep their fingers crossed they get it right, because the wrong choice now could finish the club.
Whoever gets the job the fans have little choice but to support him and I sincerely hope they do. The fans don’t pick the manager and a glance at social media will tell you that neither should they! There are nearly as many names as some clubs have fans. A very, very difficult choice but hopefully not an impossible one to get right with thorough process and a large slice of luck

UTM

Good to see you back Chris. I agree with you about the managerial issue and share your concerns about the running of the club. But what can we do about it? Without wanting it to become a debate about the trust, but I know many would say join them if you’re unhappy. My understanding is that the new chair is sympathetic to the current regime and that they have no plans to rock the boat. So that’s not really an option. We need to channel all of this concern in a fan group that will put together a plan for regime change. Ideally led by you Chris.

UTM

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 197
malkamalka
February 15, 2018, 12:16pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
Nobody fancy Gary Monk?

Kept Swansea in the Premier League before being sacked for a "big name" who did even worse;
Stabilised Leeds, then left due to budget restraints;
Had Middlesboro' 8th in the Championship, then got sacked. Replaced by Tony f***ing Pulis and now they are, erm, 9th!

A young Manager WITH experience, and perhaps, if GTFC were prepared to pay him a handsome package (ie excellent bonuses), he might be attracted to the idea of "building".

The alternative is cheap, untried, past it or done nothing!

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 197
Ipswin
February 15, 2018, 12:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from malkamalka
Nobody fancy Gary Monk?

Kept Swansea in the Premier League before being sacked for a "big name" who did even worse;
Had Middlesboro' 8th in the Championship, then got sacked. Replaced by Tony f***ing Pulis and now they are, erm, 9th!

A young Manager WITH experience, and perhaps, if GTFC were prepared to pay him a handsome package (ie excellent bonuses), he might be attracted to the idea of "building".

I think he would be a great choice but sadly I suspect he would rather stick pins in both eyes than come to BP. Fenty won't offer anything like the right money and if he thought Leeds had budget restraints wait till he sees the Grimsby Town  budget

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 197
Mighty_Mariner
February 15, 2018, 12:41pm
Pontoonite
Quoted from malkamalka
Nobody fancy Gary Monk?

Would be a great appointment but never gonna drop to league 2! Perhaps for a Luton/Portsmouth/Coventry calibre club but not a Grimsby Town one unfortunately!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 197
MarinerDevil
February 15, 2018, 1:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,739
Gold Stars: 80
I don't think anyone has mentioned Dave Challinor (AFC Fylde manager) yet?

A former Bury defender, he's overseen Fylde's meteoric rise from the Northern Premier League Division One North in 2011 to the National League play-off positions.  I don't imagine that the appointment of someone who has only managed Colwyn Bay and AFC Fylde would set fans' hearts racing, but he could be worth keeping an eye on.  It's also worth noting that Fylde's owners are seriously ambitious, with a plan to reach the Football League by 2022 and a brand new stadium recently built, so I'd imagine he's had a good budget to play with.  

But a manager on a run of form such as his should not be underestimated.  He's also won awards for his teams' exemplary disciplinary records, suggesting he's adept at man-management.  He'll have a good knowledge of non-league too.  

Just one to think about.

*Edit - Just realised that Challinor is the player that broke Martin Pringle's leg, so not sure how warmly he would be welcomed by Town fans    *
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 197
Mighty_Mariner
February 15, 2018, 1:34pm
Pontoonite
Heres one right out of left field... How bout former England women's manager Mark Sampson? Some baggage admittedly, but I can't see him partaking in any extra-cirriculur activities (allegedly) with any of our players.

Unproven maybe in the professional, men game but clearly very tactically aware, young, fresh ideas. Worth the gamble?!? (awaits the flurry of red crosses)

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 197
forza ivano
February 15, 2018, 1:39pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,172
Gold Stars: 265
godd to see you back Big Chris - have missed your input on here
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 197
Mariner_09
February 15, 2018, 2:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
So Robbie Stockdale is playing Billy Big balderdash then, I think it is worth a gamble with him, he’ll have new ideas, have loads of knowledge of the better players released by Championship and Premier League clubs. He is, by all accounts, a very good coach who would perhaps be more tactically astute and better at developing players than our last 2 managers. I doubt he’d be that expensive, certainly no more so than Slade. I think we need to hope that we get a dead cat bounce this season and therefore get enough to stay up and then, if we go down that route, accept that Robbie would make some mistakes and then see if he learns from them. As a fanbase we would have to be patient and the board would also have to be prepared for some potentially dodgy signings etc but barring a relegation scrap next season we’d need to stick with him and back his philosophy and ideas. If that type of manager was appointed we’d need to decide on a philosophy and carve out an identity and sign players and use tactics based on that philosophy.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 197
arryarryarry
February 15, 2018, 2:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
I heard yesterday that the club are probably looking at an experienced manager, Phil Brown for example
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 197
20 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Next Manager Odds

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.