Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Next Manager Odds
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 343 Guests

Next Manager Odds

This thread currently has 36,098 views. Print
20 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
supertown
February 14, 2018, 5:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,440
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from Ipswin

I didn't know a big L2 club was after him, he's bound to choose them before us

Seriously what is all this crap about Elliott. What is it about Boston United managers that gets Fenty all aroused? Is it because they are cheap I wonder. (The only decent manager to come out of Boston is about to take Mansfield into the playoffs this season)

We can't afford to take a risk on a manager from one league below never mind two FFS, If Fenty is determined to appoint someone in a hurry, which I really hope he isn't  (IMO Wilkinson, with the help I hope of Moore, will get the best out of what we have got) I'd rather leave it until the end of the season personally but if he does jump in please not Elliot or anyone else from the non-league.

Hang on, JF hasn’t mentioned him , you are talking crap
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 197
RichMariner
February 14, 2018, 6:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
This is a crucial and difficult appointment to make.

Right now we need a fixer - someone who can lead us to safety by whatever means (even if it’s horrible football).

Then, if we survive, we’ll need a builder in the summer.

I wouldn’t want us lumbered with a short-term appointment from the summer onwards, but if we employ a more visionary (but young/risky) manager now it might not guarantee us safety.

If you see what I mean.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 101 - 197
devs
February 14, 2018, 6:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 30
Whoever we appoint will be a roll of the dice
We appointed Buckley from non league Kettering after two successive relegations
What a risk and what a result!

So why are some people pooping themselves over Craig Elliot?

He has had 3 promotions in 4 seasons - Hurst had also got Ilkeston and Boston promoted

When Elliot took over at Boston they were 3rd bottom and now they are safely in 8th/9th

He has the winning habit, knows what it  takes to produce results etc

Sure, he lacks experience but every manager has to start somewhere in EFL

I think Stockdale is a far bigger risk - never been a manager

Also.... can some people think before they post about a legend and great player like Paul Groves "should never be let near the club again"

Complete disrespect and moronic
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 197
Cloudy
February 14, 2018, 6:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from devs
Whoever we appoint will be a roll of the dice
We appointed Buckley from non league Kettering after two successive relegations
What a risk and what a result!

So why are some people pooping themselves over Craig Elliot?

He has had 3 promotions in 4 seasons - Hurst had also got Ilkeston and Boston promoted

When Elliot took over at Boston they were 3rd bottom and now they are safely in 8th/9th

He has the winning habit, knows what it  takes to produce results etc

Sure, he lacks experience but every manager has to start somewhere in EFL

I think Stockdale is a far bigger risk - never been a manager

Also.... can some people think before they post about a legend and great player like Paul Groves "should never be let near the club again"

Complete disrespect and moronic

This 'Buckley came from non league Kettering' remark is true of course but previously his record was impressive at Walsall taking them to the League Cup semi final. He was hardly an untried or inexperienced novice
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 197
H19P1
February 14, 2018, 6:48pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
Interesting names in the frame with a wide range of fors and against.

Fingers crossed for whoever's appointed takes to the job like duck to water and takes us to new beginnings.

Optimistic with the ride ahead for the best fans on the planet 😍
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 197
Ipswin
February 14, 2018, 6:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from supertown

Hang on, JF hasn’t mentioned him , you are talking crap

Just wait and see - he mentioned contact from a lot of applicants (out of work dossers probably) and some others the club will be speaking to given permission. I can't see any manager in his right mind who is currently in a job in L1 or L2 applying so I suggest anyone we would need permission to speak to is in non-league.

Personally I would favour, if we must go non-league, to wait and see which of the disappointed managers from the 6 or 7 who are currently in the promotion mix from the Conference are available come May. The Wrexham bloke if they don't make it for example

Sadly it looks like Fenty is worried and is therefore keen to make an early appointment (which normally means a wrong choice) Elliott would be a wrong choice right now (and probably in May too given who else might be available) Wilkinson (and hopefully Moore having an input) can do it.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 197
realist
February 14, 2018, 6:52pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,684
Gold Stars: 41
Yes. And it is not moronic or disrespectful to talk of Groves and Woods in Such a manner. Groves took the first relegation in a poor manner and continued to do it again. He is a fool who put his own situation before the club. Many a good player has had there reputation tarnished by going into management.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 197
Mighty_Mariner
February 14, 2018, 7:06pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Ipswin

I didn't know a big L2 club was after him, he's bound to choose them before us

Seriously what is all this crap about Elliott. What is it about Boston United managers that gets Fenty all aroused? Is it because they are cheap I wonder. (The only decent manager to come out of Boston is about to take Mansfield into the playoffs this season)

We can't afford to take a risk on a manager from one league below never mind two FFS, If Fenty is determined to appoint someone in a hurry, which I really hope he isn't  (IMO Wilkinson, with the help I hope of Moore, will get the best out of what we have got) I'd rather leave it until the end of the season personally but if he does jump in please not Elliot or anyone else from the non-league.

The ONLY decent manager to come out of Boston?

So you are completely disregarding another one who not only got Town promoted (however many seasons it took) miraculously saved Shrewsbury from almost certain relegation and is about to take them up to the Championship!

And why are you so against managers from non-league? Haven't our most successful managers in recent history come from non-league?

Yes, Marcus Bignot didn't quite pan out as we'd all of liked but if you look back through the threads of when he was appointed, you will find the majority of us were happy with his appointment and agreed Fenty has made a good decision going for young and up and coming rather than journeyman 'merry go round' manager.

As another poster above has remarked... You're talking crap!!!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 197
Ipswin
February 14, 2018, 7:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

The ONLY decent manager to come out of Boston?

So you are completely disregarding another one who not only got Town promoted (however many seasons it took) miraculously saved Shrewsbury from almost certain relegation and is about to take them up to the Championship!

And why are you so against managers from non-league? Haven't our most successful managers in recent history come from non-league?

Yes, Marcus Bignot didn't quite pan out as we'd all of liked but if you look back through the threads of when he was appointed, you will find the majority of us were happy with his appointment and agreed Fenty has made a good decision going for young and up and coming rather than journeyman 'merry go round' manager.

As another poster above has remarked... You're talking crap!!!

He took us out of the non-league eventually and then cupped his ear like he had won the Champions League

What other 'most successful managers in recent history come from non-league' are you referring to? Buckley managed Walsall in the league before he came here remember (and was only at Kettering as Walsall got rid)

We need someone who knows the club and the squad for the rest of this season or, if Fenty insists on jumping in, someone who has had experience and success in the league preferably in relegation fights , not someone hoping to step up from non-league to a 'massive club' (not) like Grimsby Town (we can get someone with non-league experience if we go down!) This isn't the moment for 'up and coming'

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 197
ginnywings
February 14, 2018, 7:27pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,119
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Ipswin

Just wait and see - he mentioned contact from a lot of applicants (out of work dossers probably) and some others the club will be speaking to given permission. I can't see any manager in his right mind who is currently in a job in L1 or L2 applying so I suggest anyone we would need permission to speak to is in non-league.

Personally I would favour, if we must go non-league, to wait and see which of the disappointed managers from the 6 or 7 who are currently in the promotion mix from the Conference are available come May. The Wrexham bloke if they don't make it for example

Sadly it looks like Fenty is worried and is therefore keen to make an early appointment (which normally means a wrong choice) Elliott would be a wrong choice right now (and probably in May too given who else might be available) Wilkinson (and hopefully Moore having an input) can do it.

Whose to say it's a manager? Could be an assistant or a coach at a higher level. Stockdale for instance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 197
20 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Next Manager Odds

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.