ex-merseymariner
February 11, 2018, 7:58am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Worst still he talks about "Building a squad" but he had a decent spell BEFORE this season and all close season to address this but failed.

Now he as systematically dismantled the squad and brought in loads of quick fix loans in the vain hope that he may save the season???

So this begs the question:

When does this "building" actually begin Mr Slade???

It's right that a manager builds a squad but you would hope he would have a plan before he starts instead of just grabbing whatever he can find out of the nearest bin and hoping it all fits together.....

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
February 11, 2018, 8:19am
Guest User
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

It's right that a manager builds a squad but you would hope he would have a plan before he starts instead of just grabbing whatever he can find out of the nearest bin and hoping it all fits together.....

That's all we've done for years. No real plan, no real ethos. We've waited until the last day of the transfer window and signed whatever is left. Almost like the bargain bin at Tesco's.

Personally, I would concentrate on the spine of the team, the centre backs, the central midfield and the centre forwards should be experienced, although not over 30 years old unless an outstanding opportunity presents itself. I'd generally do for youth in the wide positions.
Reply: 21 - 25
TheRealJohnLewis
February 11, 2018, 9:28am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
I didn't want to start another thread on this so I'll add it to this thread.

It's been mentioned in numerous thread that players are not fighting for their shirts and are not going the extra mile for our club.  My observation goes back to the 0-3 defeat to Yeovil when Clifton actually managed to get some game time.  There was a lot of criticism at the time slating Slade at the time as it would have a negative effect on Clifton, but I think it gave him a platform to shine whilst all the other player waddled around not giving a excrement.  I watched the extended highlights with interest and there was only one moment in the game that stood out for me.  It was in the dying minutes of the game, defending and nothing left to play for and Clifton threw himself in front of the ball to block a shot. Clifton should be ahead of Summerfield, Berrett and Rose.

https://youtu.be/2obN_Ww6Bkw?t=1m54s I don't know how to embed the video.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
Gaffer58
February 11, 2018, 2:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
But that's just one of the many problems with Slade, he gives Clifton some game time in a match that was lost, but will not even put him on the bench for other games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
grimsby pete
February 11, 2018, 3:37pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
How do you build anything worth looking at Russ ?

Next season we should have just needed a couple or three signings to finish the jigsaw,

BUT

What have we got ?  a set of defenders that are at the end of their careers who will be another year older,

A few players that are not good enough and will not get any better,

If you were an architect Slade I would not employ you to design an outside shithouse.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
lew chaterleys lover
February 11, 2018, 3:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,752
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from davmariner
Some excellent posts on this thread which sum up how depressing our situation is. Wake up John. Put your Tory ego to one side and actually put a stop to this. Six years of hard work getting out of non league is being destroyed by your disgraceful mate Slade who has managed this in less than a year.

Slade is a chancer.

Yes Slade has to go, but whoever replaces him will struggle, or perhaps make a success of it but quickly move on, because of the leadership of the club.

Fenty is the biggest chancer. He has basically put the club on hold in pursuit of the new stadium, as noble as that is.

If you don't invest in the club you go backwards, so we are going backwards at a rate of knots.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › State of the squad

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.