HertsGTFC
February 10, 2018, 10:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from 75
Keepers: JM is injured, he's needed replacing anyway since we came up. Killip is improving to be fair, it's a lot on his shoulders mind. Kean hasn't impressed before his injury.

Right backs: Mills is decent, no more than that. Davis a great pro, truly brilliant pro and I see him training like a loon in the gym when I go. He's probably been cardio training with the team in the morning, but he's a central midfielder who can't get around any more. Still first name on the team sheet for me and captain over Clarke.

Left Back: Only left back Dixon is shite. I won't mess about here. Squad of 34 pros and only one left back.

Centre Backs: The ageing skipper Clarke is worse than the great Pearson we brilliantly released as he was coming to his prime. I believe they are building a statue of him in Wrexham already. Osborne is carrying a bit of weight, he seems more interested in fighting with teammates and constantly bowing to his prophet than defending. Collins showing real signs of ageing, off the ball in particular IMO.

Centre midfield: Mr Invisible Berrett, Mr improved a lot, still not scored any goals despite a millions shots on goal and gives the ball away Summerfield, Rose who is good and shite in the same game, he says asthma isn't a problem, he will as it's his living so why so up and down in the same game? Clifton must be shocking to be kept out of the team by these clowns.

Left midfield: Real toughie here, we have Woolford who has his slippers on and seeing his days out, Wilks who looks out best player since signing but keeps getting taken off (and he's a striker apparently).

Right Midfield: The right wing is Dembele who was brilliant up to about ten weeks ago but is apparently injured, then plays, badly then is injured the next game. What's going on there?

Forwards:
Matt is a clumsy donkey who shows the ball on his right foot all the time, doesn't bother shielding it, Vernon is looking his age, we have loan players like Jackson who is clearly on his way down but could be the saviour, Vermam or something like that (I lose track of the names), who is a clever player. Can Vernam and Jackson play together given their size? I don't see how. Plenty of other strikers to mention, I haven't that long.

I've missed a few, possibly unfair, possibly I've had enough. But I look at this squad of misfits, apparently there is a good team spirit and the dressing room is jovial and they are all in it together. I doubt most of them know their 'mates' names as I have proper lost track.

Great management Russ, you've got rid of all the players with some ability, brought in ageing journeyman and young lads on loan with no ties to the club. Done particularly well to get rid of any creativity we had, good luck on being a 'builder' when most players apart from the proper excrement ones are out of contract or over 35. Slade could not have done a worse job of dismantling a side if he tried. So inept it is beyond belief.

We've seen this before, and we know how it goes. Slade has to go, Fenty has to go.

Would agree with pretty much most of that apart from since he's been injured we have missed Macca, Mills isn't that good IMHO and if the front players where shooting let alone scoring you would not be commenting on Summerfield's lack of goals.

The ineptitude that RS has shown is shocking in reality we ate relaying on Dads Army and a bunch of young and in some cases unfit loanees to keep us up.

Slade Out - Now FFS  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
Mrs Doyle
February 10, 2018, 10:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
This side has relegation written all over it most of the best players have gone the rest of the squad are not up to standard and have been made up by quick fix journeymen that have no affiliation or ambition to play for us let alone a relegation battle.

Despite what Slade says the contracted players nope ALL the players must be as confused as he is how can that be a tight-knit squad???

Slade looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights don't think he even knows how many loanees we have I know I don't.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
Mariner_09
February 10, 2018, 11:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
This is the biggest concern for me. Since last January we have signed 26 new players! 26! Tell me how many of those have improved us? I’d say 3, Dembele, Osborne and Jones. Two of those have gone thanks to Slade’s systematic extermination of the Bignot era. Our best players this season (for me McKeown, Davies, Mills, Collins, Dembele, Summerfield) all but one of those are Hurst signings. Notice a pattern occuring? I have no faith in Slade who has assembled this squad of dross and now proceeds to parade it around every week which only exacerbates the glaring deficiencies in his recruitment policy, i.e. getting rid of our best players and signing crap zimmer frame ready ones.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
Marinerz93
February 10, 2018, 11:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Mariner_09
This is the biggest concern for me. Since last January we have signed 26 new players! 26! Tell me how many of those have improved us? I’d say 3, Dembele, Osborne and Jones. Two of those have gone thanks to Slade’s systematic extermination of the Bignot era. Our best players this season (for me McKeown, Davies, Mills, Collins, Dembele, Summerfield) all but one of those are Hurst signings. Notice a pattern occuring? I have no faith in Slade who has assembled this squad of dross and now proceeds to parade it around every week which only exacerbates the glaring deficiencies in his recruitment policy, i.e. getting rid of our best players and signing crap zimmer frame ready ones.

You say that but all the decent players are over priced and as we know Fenty likes BOGOF, and I wish both Fenty and slade would.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
Earnyourstripes
February 11, 2018, 12:02am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: -67
Lets be fair currently Town are like a jigsaw, They go to peices in the box (both boxes)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
RichMariner
February 11, 2018, 12:19am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
I see no investment. Other than Dembele, who may yet turn out to be someone that never really kicks on to the next level, we have nothing to sell.

The players we have brought in are either going to retire after leaving us, or are going to return to their parent clubs. There's nothing to work with.

If, at the end of this season we're still a League 2 club, the summer will be another clear-out.

If Slade was truly building something, he'd have the foundations in place by now.

The first thing Scott & Hurst did in the transfer market was buy McKeown, Pearson, Disley and Hearn. That was in 2011. McKeown's still with us, we got six years from Shaun, same from Dis, and Hearn had a three-year deal that was blighted by injury - but he was a cracking player when fit.

That's what you call a spine of a team. That's something you could build around.

Slade hasn't come close to doing anything of the sort. He's had two transfer windows and he's royally fukked things up.

And John Fenty has funded it.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
Marinerz93
February 11, 2018, 12:56am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Quoted from RichMariner
I see no investment. Other than Dembele, who may yet turn out to be someone that never really kicks on to the next level, we have nothing to sell.

The players we have brought in are either going to retire after leaving us, or are going to return to their parent clubs. There's nothing to work with.

If, at the end of this season we're still a League 2 club, the summer will be another clear-out.

If Slade was truly building something, he'd have the foundations in place by now.

The first thing Scott & Hurst did in the transfer market was buy McKeown, Pearson, Disley and Hearn. That was in 2011. McKeown's still with us, we got six years from Shaun, same from Dis, and Hearn had a three-year deal that was blighted by injury - but he was a cracking player when fit.

That's what you call a spine of a team. That's something you could build around.

Slade hasn't come close to doing anything of the sort. He's had two transfer windows and he's royally fukked things up.

And John Fenty has funded it.

Sladeball says in one of his interviews managers need at least 4 transfer windows to get a settled team  

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
Sigone
February 11, 2018, 1:16am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
Slade says he's a builder, when given time has had success..where has that been..he only ever builds half a house..hes a real life petrocelli(that may be lost on our younger viewers)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
davmariner
February 11, 2018, 1:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,911
Gold Stars: 79
Some excellent posts on this thread which sum up how depressing our situation is. Wake up John. Put your Tory ego to one side and actually put a stop to this. Six years of hard work getting out of non league is being destroyed by your disgraceful mate Slade who has managed this in less than a year.

Slade is a chancer.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
Mrs Doyle
February 11, 2018, 6:56am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Worst still he talks about "Building a squad" but he had a decent spell BEFORE this season and all close season to address this but failed.

Now he as systematically dismantled the squad and brought in loads of quick fix loans in the vain hope that he may save the season???

So this begs the question:

When does this "building" actually begin Mr Slade???
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › State of the squad

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.