Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › State of the squad
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 123 Guests

State of the squad

This thread currently has 4,661 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
February 10, 2018, 6:39pm
Guest User
Keepers: JM is injured, he's needed replacing anyway since we came up. Killip is improving to be fair, it's a lot on his shoulders mind. Kean hasn't impressed before his injury.

Right backs: Mills is decent, no more than that. Davis a great pro, truly brilliant pro and I see him training like a loon in the gym when I go. He's probably been cardio training with the team in the morning, but he's a central midfielder who can't get around any more. Still first name on the team sheet for me and captain over Clarke.

Left Back: Only left back Dixon is shite. I won't mess about here. Squad of 34 pros and only one left back.

Centre Backs: The ageing skipper Clarke is worse than the great Pearson we brilliantly released as he was coming to his prime. I believe they are building a statue of him in Wrexham already. Osborne is carrying a bit of weight, he seems more interested in fighting with teammates and constantly bowing to his prophet than defending. Collins showing real signs of ageing, off the ball in particular IMO.

Centre midfield: Mr Invisible Berrett, Mr improved a lot, still not scored any goals despite a millions shots on goal and gives the ball away Summerfield, Rose who is good and shite in the same game, he says asthma isn't a problem, he will as it's his living so why so up and down in the same game? Clifton must be shocking to be kept out of the team by these clowns.

Left midfield: Real toughie here, we have Woolford who has his slippers on and seeing his days out, Wilks who looks out best player since signing but keeps getting taken off (and he's a striker apparently).

Right Midfield: The right wing is Dembele who was brilliant up to about ten weeks ago but is apparently injured, then plays, badly then is injured the next game. What's going on there?

Forwards:
Matt is a clumsy donkey who shows the ball on his right foot all the time, doesn't bother shielding it, Vernon is looking his age, we have loan players like Jackson who is clearly on his way down but could be the saviour, Vermam or something like that (I lose track of the names), who is a clever player. Can Vernam and Jackson play together given their size? I don't see how. Plenty of other strikers to mention, I haven't that long.

I've missed a few, possibly unfair, possibly I've had enough. But I look at this squad of misfits, apparently there is a good team spirit and the dressing room is jovial and they are all in it together. I doubt most of them know their 'mates' names as I have proper lost track.

Great management Russ, you've got rid of all the players with some ability, brought in ageing journeyman and young lads on loan with no ties to the club. Done particularly well to get rid of any creativity we had, good luck on being a 'builder' when most players apart from the proper excrement ones are out of contract or over 35. Slade could not have done a worse job of dismantling a side if he tried. So inept it is beyond belief.

We've seen this before, and we know how it goes. Slade has to go, Fenty has to go.
ginnywings
February 10, 2018, 7:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
My theory is that when we had the 'unequivocal' statement, the club was presented with a list of targets by Slade and Wilko, which we quickly realised that we couldn't afford with the massive squad of dross we have draining the budget. The statement mentioned that we were only 10 points from the play offs and well clear of the bottom, and that most clubs take time to build once they get back into the league. So i think that the club more or less decided right there, that we were safe for this season (yeah right) and that we would need to spend the rest of the season ticking over, while getting as many of the big earners out as possible. Bye bye, Asante, Osborne, Clements and criminally, our best player Jones. We could get by with the the players that no-one else wanted to take off our hands, the contracted players who we couldn't shift and a sh1tload of loanees. We barely have a contacted player on the pitch now and come the end of the season, there will be a natural massive clear out with all the contracts coming to an end, and all the loanees going back to their parent clubs. This to me looks like what has happened, though i have to say that i have no evidence of this, it's just my take on it. In short, they have made it all about next season and totally taken their eye off the ball. Weeks after that statement, they were still talking play-offs, despite much evidence to the contrary. Not so much sleepwalking, as sleeping.

Now football fans, can you see a flaw in that plan, because the board clearly couldn't ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
grimsby pete
February 10, 2018, 7:16pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from 75
Keepers: JM is injured, he's needed replacing anyway since we came up. Killip is improving to be fair, it's a lot on his shoulders mind. Kean hasn't impressed before his injury.

Right backs: Mills is decent, no more than that. Davis a great pro, truly brilliant pro and I see him training like a loon in the gym when I go. He's probably been cardio training with the team in the morning, but he's a central midfielder who can't get around any more. Still first name on the team sheet for me and captain over Clarke.

Left Back: Only left back Dixon is shite. I won't mess about here. Squad of 34 pros and only one left back.

Centre Backs: The ageing skipper Clarke is worse than the great Pearson we brilliantly released as he was coming to his prime. I believe they are building a statue of him in Wrexham already. Osborne is carrying a bit of weight, he seems more interested in fighting with teammates and constantly bowing to his prophet than defending. Collins showing real signs of ageing, off the ball in particular IMO.

Centre midfield: Mr Invisible Berrett, Mr improved a lot, still not scored any goals despite a millions shots on goal and gives the ball away Summerfield, Rose who is good and shite in the same game, he says asthma isn't a problem, he will as it's his living so why so up and down in the same game? Clifton must be shocking to be kept out of the team by these clowns.

Left midfield: Real toughie here, we have Woolford who has his slippers on and seeing his days out, Wilks who looks out best player since signing but keeps getting taken off (and he's a striker apparently), the right wing is Dembele who was brilliant up to about ten weeks ago but is apparently injured, then plays, badly then is injured the next game. What's going on there?

Forwards:
Matt is a clumsy donkey who shows the ball on his right foot all the time, doesn't bother shielding it, Vernon is looking his age, we have loan players like Jackson who is clearly on his way down but could be the saviour, Vermam or something like that (I lose track of the names), who is a clever player. Can Vernam and Jackson play together given their size? I don't see how. Plenty of other strikers to mention, I haven't that long.

I've missed a few, possibly unfair, possibly I've had enough. But I look at this squad of misfits, apparently there is a good team spirit and the dressing room is jovial and they are all in it together. I doubt most of them know their 'mates' names as I have proper lost track.

Great management Russ, you've got rid of all the players with some ability, brought in ageing journeyman and young lads on loan with no ties to the club. Done particularly well to get rid of any creativity we had, good luck on being a 'builder' when most players apart from the proper excrement ones are out of contract or over 35. Slade could not have done a worse job of dismantling a side if he tried. So inept it is beyond belief.

We've seen this before, and we know how it goes. Slade has to go, Fenty has to go.

Mr Fenty please read this again and again then make a decision.

Well put Vicar .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 25
grimsby pete
February 10, 2018, 7:20pm

Exile
Quoted from ginnywings
My theory is that when we had the 'unequivocal' statement, the club was presented with a list of targets by Slade and Wilko, which we quickly realised that we couldn't afford with the massive squad of dross we have draining the budget. The statement mentioned that we were only 10 points from the play offs and well clear of the bottom, and that most clubs take time to build once they get back into the league. So i think that the club more or less decided right there, that we were safe for this season (yeah right) and that we would need to spend the rest of the season ticking over, while getting as many of the big earners out as possible. Bye bye, Asante, Osborne, Clements and criminally, our best player Jones. We could get by with the the players that no-one else wanted to take off our hands, the contracted players who we couldn't shift and a sh1tload of loanees. We barely have a contacted player on the pitch now and come the end of the season, there will be a natural massive clear out with all the contracts coming to an end, and all the loanees going back to their parent clubs. This to me looks like what has happened, though i have to say that i have no evidence of this, it's just my take on it. In short, they have made it all about next season and totally taken their eye off the ball. Weeks after that statement, they were still talking play-offs, despite much evidence to the contrary. Not so much sleepwalking, as sleeping.

Now football fans, can you see a flaw in that plan, because the board clearly couldn't ?

If you have not been 100% sure after reading Vicars post then read Ginny's again and again until you come to the right conclusion Me Fenty. PLEASE

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
chaos33
February 10, 2018, 7:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Great post by vicar.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
crusty ole pie
February 10, 2018, 7:52pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,310
Gold Stars: 62
Bit harsh on Macca we where holding our own if not spectacular until his injury
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 25
chaos33
February 10, 2018, 7:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Yeah agree. Apart from the Macca assessment. Compared to his counterparts he's positive strength in the squad!

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
February 10, 2018, 8:38pm
Guest User
Maybe fair comments about James Mckeown who has been a fine servant. We know this club, as it stands doesn’t care about past achievements or players who have gone beyond the call of duty.

Players who have gone out into the community, players who have excelled, their contracts are allowed to expire.

James has errors in him, but is the least of our problems at the moment. He deserves better than this club to be fair to him, bet he ends up at Wrexham one day soon.
Reply: 7 - 25
Marinerz93
February 10, 2018, 8:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
You employ an out of date sacked 3 times in 18 month on his way out manager you get what you deserve Fenty. You created this shambles now clear it the intercourse up and when you have done fixing your member up, don't let the door hit you on the backside as you leave, and leave your keys at reception.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 10, 2018, 8:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,502
Gold Stars: 64
Watched my first game back in 1965 and honestly believe this is the worst town team I have ever seen. That inludes the team that came 23rd in 69/70, at least we thought they might score !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 25
HertsGTFC
February 10, 2018, 10:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from 75

Left midfield: Real toughie here, we have Woolford who has his slippers on and seeing his days out, Wilks who looks out best player since signing but keeps getting taken off (and he's a striker apparently).

Right Midfield: The right wing is Dembele who was brilliant up to about ten weeks ago but is apparently injured, then plays, badly then is injured the next game. What's going on there?

Forwards:

Would agree with pretty much most of that apart from since he's been injured we have missed Macca, Mills isn't that good IMHO and if the front players where shooting let alone scoring you would not be commenting on Summerfield's lack of goals.

The ineptitude that RS has shown is shocking in reality we ate relaying on Dads Army and a bunch of young and in some cases unfit loanees to keep us up.

Slade Out - Now FFS  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
Mrs Doyle
February 10, 2018, 10:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
This side has relegation written all over it most of the best players have gone the rest of the squad are not up to standard and have been made up by quick fix journeymen that have no affiliation or ambition to play for us let alone a relegation battle.

Despite what Slade says the contracted players nope ALL the players must be as confused as he is how can that be a tight-knit squad???

Slade looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights don't think he even knows how many loanees we have I know I don't.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
Mariner_09
February 10, 2018, 11:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
This is the biggest concern for me. Since last January we have signed 26 new players! 26! Tell me how many of those have improved us? I’d say 3, Dembele, Osborne and Jones. Two of those have gone thanks to Slade’s systematic extermination of the Bignot era. Our best players this season (for me McKeown, Davies, Mills, Collins, Dembele, Summerfield) all but one of those are Hurst signings. Notice a pattern occuring? I have no faith in Slade who has assembled this squad of dross and now proceeds to parade it around every week which only exacerbates the glaring deficiencies in his recruitment policy, i.e. getting rid of our best players and signing crap zimmer frame ready ones.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
Marinerz93
February 10, 2018, 11:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_09
This is the biggest concern for me. Since last January we have signed 26 new players! 26! Tell me how many of those have improved us? I’d say 3, Dembele, Osborne and Jones. Two of those have gone thanks to Slade’s systematic extermination of the Bignot era. Our best players this season (for me McKeown, Davies, Mills, Collins, Dembele, Summerfield) all but one of those are Hurst signings. Notice a pattern occuring? I have no faith in Slade who has assembled this squad of dross and now proceeds to parade it around every week which only exacerbates the glaring deficiencies in his recruitment policy, i.e. getting rid of our best players and signing crap zimmer frame ready ones.

You say that but all the decent players are over priced and as we know Fenty likes BOGOF, and I wish both Fenty and slade would.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
Earnyourstripes
February 11, 2018, 12:02am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: -67
Lets be fair currently Town are like a jigsaw, They go to peices in the box (both boxes)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
RichMariner
February 11, 2018, 12:19am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
I see no investment. Other than Dembele, who may yet turn out to be someone that never really kicks on to the next level, we have nothing to sell.

The players we have brought in are either going to retire after leaving us, or are going to return to their parent clubs. There's nothing to work with.

If, at the end of this season we're still a League 2 club, the summer will be another clear-out.

If Slade was truly building something, he'd have the foundations in place by now.

The first thing Scott & Hurst did in the transfer market was buy McKeown, Pearson, Disley and Hearn. That was in 2011. McKeown's still with us, we got six years from Shaun, same from Dis, and Hearn had a three-year deal that was blighted by injury - but he was a cracking player when fit.

That's what you call a spine of a team. That's something you could build around.

Slade hasn't come close to doing anything of the sort. He's had two transfer windows and he's royally fukked things up.

And John Fenty has funded it.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
Marinerz93
February 11, 2018, 12:56am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner
I see no investment. Other than Dembele, who may yet turn out to be someone that never really kicks on to the next level, we have nothing to sell.

The players we have brought in are either going to retire after leaving us, or are going to return to their parent clubs. There's nothing to work with.

If, at the end of this season we're still a League 2 club, the summer will be another clear-out.

If Slade was truly building something, he'd have the foundations in place by now.

The first thing Scott & Hurst did in the transfer market was buy McKeown, Pearson, Disley and Hearn. That was in 2011. McKeown's still with us, we got six years from Shaun, same from Dis, and Hearn had a three-year deal that was blighted by injury - but he was a cracking player when fit.

That's what you call a spine of a team. That's something you could build around.

Slade hasn't come close to doing anything of the sort. He's had two transfer windows and he's royally fukked things up.

And John Fenty has funded it.

Sladeball says in one of his interviews managers need at least 4 transfer windows to get a settled team  

Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
Sigone
February 11, 2018, 1:16am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,608
Gold Stars: 5
Slade says he's a builder, when given time has had success..where has that been..he only ever builds half a house..hes a real life petrocelli(that may be lost on our younger viewers)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
davmariner
February 11, 2018, 1:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,860
Gold Stars: 75
Some excellent posts on this thread which sum up how depressing our situation is. Wake up John. Put your Tory ego to one side and actually put a stop to this. Six years of hard work getting out of non league is being destroyed by your disgraceful mate Slade who has managed this in less than a year.

Slade is a chancer.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
Mrs Doyle
February 11, 2018, 6:56am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Worst still he talks about "Building a squad" but he had a decent spell BEFORE this season and all close season to address this but failed.

Now he as systematically dismantled the squad and brought in loads of quick fix loans in the vain hope that he may save the season???

So this begs the question:

When does this "building" actually begin Mr Slade???
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
ex-merseymariner
February 11, 2018, 7:58am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,397
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Worst still he talks about "Building a squad" but he had a decent spell BEFORE this season and all close season to address this but failed.

Now he as systematically dismantled the squad and brought in loads of quick fix loans in the vain hope that he may save the season???

So this begs the question:

When does this "building" actually begin Mr Slade???

It's right that a manager builds a squad but you would hope he would have a plan before he starts instead of just grabbing whatever he can find out of the nearest bin and hoping it all fits together.....

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
February 11, 2018, 8:19am
Guest User
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

It's right that a manager builds a squad but you would hope he would have a plan before he starts instead of just grabbing whatever he can find out of the nearest bin and hoping it all fits together.....

That's all we've done for years. No real plan, no real ethos. We've waited until the last day of the transfer window and signed whatever is left. Almost like the bargain bin at Tesco's.

Personally, I would concentrate on the spine of the team, the centre backs, the central midfield and the centre forwards should be experienced, although not over 30 years old unless an outstanding opportunity presents itself. I'd generally do for youth in the wide positions.
Reply: 21 - 25
TheRealJohnLewis
February 11, 2018, 9:28am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
I didn't want to start another thread on this so I'll add it to this thread.

It's been mentioned in numerous thread that players are not fighting for their shirts and are not going the extra mile for our club.  My observation goes back to the 0-3 defeat to Yeovil when Clifton actually managed to get some game time.  There was a lot of criticism at the time slating Slade at the time as it would have a negative effect on Clifton, but I think it gave him a platform to shine whilst all the other player waddled around not giving a excrement.  I watched the extended highlights with interest and there was only one moment in the game that stood out for me.  It was in the dying minutes of the game, defending and nothing left to play for and Clifton threw himself in front of the ball to block a shot. Clifton should be ahead of Summerfield, Berrett and Rose.

https://youtu.be/2obN_Ww6Bkw?t=1m54s I don't know how to embed the video.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
Gaffer58
February 11, 2018, 2:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
But that's just one of the many problems with Slade, he gives Clifton some game time in a match that was lost, but will not even put him on the bench for other games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
grimsby pete
February 11, 2018, 3:37pm

Exile
How do you build anything worth looking at Russ ?

Next season we should have just needed a couple or three signings to finish the jigsaw,

BUT

What have we got ?  a set of defenders that are at the end of their careers who will be another year older,

A few players that are not good enough and will not get any better,

If you were an architect Slade I would not employ you to design an outside shithouse.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
lew chaterleys lover
February 11, 2018, 3:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from davmariner
Some excellent posts on this thread which sum up how depressing our situation is. Wake up John. Put your Tory ego to one side and actually put a stop to this. Six years of hard work getting out of non league is being destroyed by your disgraceful mate Slade who has managed this in less than a year.

Slade is a chancer.

Yes Slade has to go, but whoever replaces him will struggle, or perhaps make a success of it but quickly move on, because of the leadership of the club.

Fenty is the biggest chancer. He has basically put the club on hold in pursuit of the new stadium, as noble as that is.

If you don't invest in the club you go backwards, so we are going backwards at a rate of knots.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › State of the squad

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.