4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
ivanosandwich
January 19, 2018, 9:10am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,470
Gold Stars: 17
They probably do research a potential new club but how much do they put into it will give an indication of the likelihood that they will sign.

If they are researching for hours, they will undoubtedly learn about the away following, crowdfunder etc.

Unfortunately this month, they will get to the team manager column and close the computer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 37
Garth
January 19, 2018, 10:06am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Or they might just fancy a change and join a club thats on the verge of some significant changes,  which could give them a regular playing spot and an interesting remainder of the season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 37
Ipswin
January 19, 2018, 10:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Perhaps it's just as well they find out in advance what a totally flipping shambles GTFC is rather than being taken in by the baldy one's bullshit and the smarmy face of Fenty. It would certainly help to avoid any more Osbourne's et al

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 37
RichyMills
January 19, 2018, 11:06am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +100
I reckon players are most likely to ring up their fellow players who've been at the club and ask them what to expect, and would they recommend it. Also maybe ask what a player thinks of the manager too.

Same as any job I guess

arguing the case for Barry Conlon since 2010

Tweeting @richymills
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 37
headingly_mariner
January 19, 2018, 11:11am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ska face

They probably do, which makes you wonder what sort of impression they get when there’s a 97-page thread PINNED to the top of the “other board” where fans can chuck about phrases like “mongo wogchops” on page 1?

Of course, when a player claimed he’d been subjected to similar language away at Halifax one year, he was “making it all up”.

I'd not noticed that before. It's bizarre that it exists on this forum, it's not just players, what impression does it give to our fans who are not white, straight and men?

I remember the game and Toto was clearly incensed by something. It was sad to see people shrug it aside and phrases like 'playing the race card' make me shudder.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 37
Bigdog
January 19, 2018, 11:12am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from 120790
When players are considering a transfer or loan period, I wonder if they research fans forums and message boards to get a feel of the current atmosphere and feel for the club?

“Grimsby want me, let’s have a little look at what their fans are saying about the place right now”

Yes, and any player worth their salt wouldn't sign for a manager who seems like a dead man walking and leave then exposed to whether a potential new manager rates them. In the back of their minds, they may also wonder where they'd be playing their football in a few months if Slade stayed.. Chester? Solihull? Barrow? Or back to the club they had recently left.

At the end of the day, it's the board's ultimate responsibility to change fan opinion. By now they know what the fans require for them to return. It's up to the board if they want to change the manager or make radical changes in the boardroom. Message board content is driven by the actions of a select few at the top and what happens on the pitch. Of course at GTFC we are constantly being told it's the other way around and the fans are culpable for everything that is wrong at the football club..

The player could easily have a look online and learn from recent events that GTFC are a bit of a shambles, then look on The Fishy, CA, Twitter etc and deduce, no wonder the fans are peed off..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 37
ska face
January 19, 2018, 11:57am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,653
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I'd not noticed that before. It's bizarre that it exists on this forum, it's not just players, what impression does it give to our fans who are not white, straight and men?

I remember the game and Toto was clearly incensed by something. It was sad to see people shrug it aside and phrases like 'playing the race card' make me shudder.

I mentioned this to GrimRob over a year ago, who felt the need to discuss it with the moderators, and they collectively found nothing wrong with it. Which is why I’ve not really posted since then.

GrimRob is happy to censor anyone on here at the request of Fenty and hand out your personal details, but there’s nothing wrong with any of that. Says it all.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 37
MarinerMal
January 19, 2018, 12:09pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +784
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from 120790
When players are considering a transfer or loan period, I wonder if they research fans forums and message boards to get a feel of the current atmosphere and feel for the club?

“Grimsby want me, let’s have a little look at what their fans are saying about the place right now”

Yep, it's the fans fault players aren't signing just like it's the fans fault we are in the position we are in. Nothing to do with the manager or board at all.

I doubt players check fans forums at all when considering a move.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 37
RichyMills
January 19, 2018, 12:33pm
Coke Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

Yes, and any player worth their salt wouldn't sign for a manager who seems like a dead man walking and leave then exposed to whether a potential new manager rates them. In the back of their minds, they may also wonder where they'd be playing their football in a few months if Slade stayed.. Chester? Solihull? Barrow? Or back to the club they had recently left.

At the end of the day, it's the board's ultimate responsibility to change fan opinion. By now they know what the fans require for them to return. It's up to the board if they want to change the manager or make radical changes in the boardroom. Message board content is driven by the actions of a select few at the top and what happens on the pitch. Of course at GTFC we are constantly being told it's the other way around and the fans are culpable for everything that is wrong at the football club..

The player could easily have a look online and learn from recent events that GTFC are a bit of a shambles, then look on The Fishy, CA, Twitter etc and deduce, no wonder the fans are peed off..

but if you're out of contract or a free agent then a job's a job, isn't it?

Tweeting @richymills
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 37
RichyMills
January 19, 2018, 12:38pm
Coke Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner

That incident almost derailed the whole season. It was clear something happened. A player wouldn't make that up, why would he? The squad were clearly affected by it too but the club swept it under the carpet after initially saying it would be reported to the police (it wasn't).

The club doesnt have a good record on race, does it?

Tweeting @richymills
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Players own research

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.