Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Doe anyone think Slade should stay ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 255 Guests

Doe anyone think Slade should stay ?

This thread currently has 8,994 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
rancido
January 14, 2018, 11:47am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from OllieGTFC

Yeah your probably right, thing is he knows these leagues I really don’t get it tbh something is not right at the club specially at the top it’s shambles, maybe right for Slade to take a break from football like most of managers do

He KNEW these leagues but not any more , judging by our performances of late. It's ok blaming what's at the top, to me that is another issue, but Slade is responsible for what players are at the club, who we play and how they play. Performances of late and in general demonstrate ( at least to me )  that none of these three criteria have been met by RS to produce a team capable of entertaining the fans and achieving anything other than mid-table ( at best ) mediocrity.
The most annoying thing is that JF didn't have to sack Bignot in the first place especially if Coventry hadn't sacked RS. I know there was talk of one or two senior players not liking Bignot's training regime but seeing as one of them went in the summer and the other is near the end of his career then surely that shouldn't really have influenced things. It seems more like a case of " the tail wagging the dog " and unfortunately JF appears to have listened to the " tail"

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 50
mariner91
January 14, 2018, 11:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,644
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from rancido

He KNEW these leagues but not any more , judging by our performances of late. It's ok blaming what's at the top, to me that is another issue, but Slade is responsible for what players are at the club, who we play and how they play. Performances of late and in general demonstrate ( at least to me )  that none of these three criteria have been met by RS to produce a team capable of entertaining the fans and achieving anything other than mid-table ( at best ) mediocrity.
The most annoying thing is that JF didn't have to sack Bignot in the first place especially if Coventry hadn't sacked RS. I know there was talk of one or two senior players not liking Bignot's training regime but seeing as one of them went in the summer and the other is near the end of his career then surely that shouldn't really have influenced things. It seems more like a case of " the tail wagging the dog " and unfortunately JF appears to have listened to the " tail"

It was significantly more than one or two and included one of his own January signings (Clements) allegedly. Getting rid of Bignot was not the mistake. This is the same Bignot who's Chester side lost against those part-time footballing giants East Thurrock United yesterday and has managed 4 wins from 20 games. And before you say "different club, different circumstances" or something along those lines, you've just spent the last half hour saying how Slade's last two sackings prove he was a "dinosaur". You can't have it both ways. Personally, I'm of the opinion that they're both shite but both manage to get jobs because they talk a good game.

As it stands our board has made one good managerial appointment in the last 16 years and that was made because their top targets (who are all much further down the pyramid than Hurst now) all said no. They made the right choice in getting rid of Bignot but Slade was a very poor appointment. They need to take their time when Slade is sacked (he will be eventually) and get some external guidance to make sure they don't make a third terrible appointment in a row
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 50
nightrider
January 14, 2018, 12:01pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
What's his payoff- £120,000ish?
A lot of money. We could buy a good striker for that
That's not to mention his back room staff of which there are what, 3?

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 50
Mariner93er
January 14, 2018, 12:11pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,728
Gold Stars: 28
Well where are those players now, with the performances worse than under bignot?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 50
Swansea_Mariner
January 14, 2018, 12:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
Why would all the backroom staff need to go, I assume the next manager will need a strength and conditioning coach and a sports scientist?

Also that 120k is quickly replaced when match day income returns to it's pre Slade level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 50
marinernige
January 14, 2018, 12:18pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +578
Gold Stars: 17
'Fenty' thinks so , by keeping Slade,  Fenty keeps the pressure off himself , if the current run continues ,then JF can then sack RS ,and then tell us he's listened to the fans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 50
ginnywings
January 14, 2018, 12:23pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,124
Gold Stars: 548
After my rantings of last week i decided to just sit back and see what happens in the window. The club made their statement and i thought, ok, let's see what you do, over to you. But i do worry about the direction we are heading and can see similarities to when we fell out of the league, so will air my thoughts on this.

I think it's more important to look at the appointment to begin with. The club must have known (and if they didn't, they should have) that the hiring of Slade would be massively divisive and that he wouldn't be afforded the same leeway as another manager would simply because of his past. We now have a manager who is deeply unpopular and is losing games too, which is an untenable position. I think it's more than likely we will lose the next 2 games as well and the pressure will just keep ratcheting up. I don't think i have heard manager out chants so quickly in a tenure as this one. All i hear at every game is, "we shouldn't have brought him back" and i think the board, not for the first time, have totally misjudged the fans feelings.

I also think it was a lazy appointment. The board decided for good or bad that Bignot had to go and from the rumblings we have heard, it seems he was causing havoc behind the scenes, so fair enough. We are safe in the league and have the rest of the season to find the right guy. But it is now apparent that instead of sacking Bignot and then looking for a new manager, the manager being available was the reason Bignot went when he did. A 'perfect' solution was there for the taking as far as the board were concerned and Slade could come in with no pressure and spend the rest of the season assessing the squad. I think the appointment of Wilko was to assuage the fans and i very much doubt he was requested by Slade. He looks like he was shoehorned into the job and i have no knowledge of him ever doing anything of note in the game on the management side anywhere else. Subsequent signings of players linked to Wilko's past have largely been a complete dud, so one has to ask about his role in all this too. In short, the club have got it wrong again i am afraid to say.

So where do we go from here? I'm certain that JF will be running all this through his head right now and i don't envy him. Do you stick, or do you twist when the future of the football club is once again on the line? It should never have got to this stage, but somehow at GTFC, it always does.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 50
horsforthmariner
January 14, 2018, 12:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,619
Gold Stars: 9
I never called for Hurst or Bignot’s head but I am desperate for Slade to get the sack. We play dreadful dreadful garbage football. Of his signings only Dembele looks quality. Hooper, Dixon and particularly the truly god awful Kelly wouldn’t get games in the national league north.

Since this time last year we’ve got rid of Bogle, Disley, Pearson and look where it’s got us.

If we don’t get rid of this of duffer now we’ll be stuck in a relegation dog fight.

SLADE OUT
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 50
Grantham_Mariner
January 14, 2018, 1:13pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,184
Gold Stars: 51
Even if he does turn it around and we finish in the play-offs (extremely unlikely) I rarely do not like his style of football or how he sets a team up.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 50
HertsGTFC
January 14, 2018, 1:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from horsforthmariner
I never called for Hurst or Bignot’s head but I am desperate for Slade to get the sack. We play dreadful dreadful garbage football. Of his signings only Dembele looks quality. Hooper, Dixon and particularly the truly god awful Kelly wouldn’t get games in the national league north.

Since this time last year we’ve got rid of Bogle, Disley, Pearson and look where it’s got us.

If we don’t get rid of this of duffer now we’ll be stuck in a relegation dog fight.

SLADE OUT

We never really “got rid of Bogle” but we largely squandered the money IMHO.

I completely agree with you. What frustrates me is yesterday at least half a dozen times Dembele, Mills and Davis all got in good positions to put the ball in the box but amounted to nothing as they either did not have the composure or there was nobody in space that is purely down to poor coaching and nothing else.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Doe anyone think Slade should stay ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.