Marinerz93
November 19, 2017, 11:01am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from 140067
John Fenty is a fan, a big one at that and he's put his money in. Why hasn't someone come forward to take over the club then?
John Fenty in terms of league success is the least successful Chairman/director in our history. Great fans do not make great chairman.

Unlike others I don't think he is a big of a fan as people make out he is, he is a businessman and most businessmen are opportunists. Simply why no one has come forward to take over is the debt hold Fenty has over the club, due to his hiring and firing policy over 2 relegations and 10 years of decline, he has lumbered the club the cost of his mistakes, and no one wants to clear that. Would you buy a car then pay double on top the what the car is worth for previous repairs due to poor maintenance, I wouldn't.

Fenty has surrounded himself with yes men or people who can't challenge his position due to the massive debt he has saddled the club with. It's funny that we had a multimillionaire businessman in MP his experience alone worth more than Fenty's debt and what happened for him to leave the board, the Mullens, lottery winners, what happened to them.

Without Fenty it's argued we would have gone into administration with him we are were we are, stagnant, and we are stagnant for the reasons outlined in the 2nd paragraph.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 83
HertsGTFC
November 19, 2017, 11:12am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
I am not convinced JF put money into GTFC purely for business reasons as it would give him no real chance of any ROI. Though it's clear the current model gives him complete control unless a Euro millions winner fancies a new toy.

The reality I there is no value in GTFC as an investment opportunity so the likelihood of any movement in the board room is slim at best.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 83
Garth
November 19, 2017, 12:06pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from grimps

This is the problem !
I said recently that Woods team that neverr won for 20 odd games often outplayed the other team but never won, crap teams can play well and lose alot , good teams can play bad and win.
Under Hurst we often played what I would say wasnt very exciting and was often what I thought was lucky to win , maybe thats the difference ?

Actually you are correct but in fairness  he did have strikers of the calibre of Podge and Omar, with the additions of Nolan and Arnold, four players who would have made us a tasty team in this league if they were still here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 83
HertsGTFC
November 19, 2017, 12:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from grimps

This is the problem !
I said recently that Woods team that neverr won for 20 odd games often outplayed the other team but never won, crap teams can play well and lose alot , good teams can play bad and win.
Under Hurst we often played what I would say wasnt very exciting and was often what I thought was lucky to win , maybe thats the difference ?

Did many non league teams play "exciting" football when we where down there? Maybe that's the way it is at that level if you want to get up.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 83
sam gy
November 19, 2017, 12:46pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
I’d imagine the same applies for League 2. It’s not as if anyone in this league is playing sexy football.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 83
barralad
November 19, 2017, 1:09pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from arryarryarry

Seen the highlights and when they scored we had 4 players in the six yard box excluding McKeown and they had 1 player.

So if Collins wasn't trying to defend the cross, what the frig was he supposed to be doing?

Aren't you and Hagrid missing the essential point that any decent team should really get away with one seemingly catastrophic mistake at home?

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 83
chaos33
November 19, 2017, 1:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
It's a good point Barra. We don't have the players or the attacking intent to deal with conceding though do we, or so it seems.

Too many of our offensive players are poor. There seems to be no directive on attacking. No ideas. Nothing up the sleeve. Just the old 'let's hope for a set piece, a decent cross or an opposition error. It's no good is it. That's no plan. Trying to 0-0 your way to safety.
As Ginny mentioned yesterday - how many shots did we manage in the last 10 minutes of yesterday's game? Any pressure on Carlisle at all? Any pressure on any of our BP opponents in recent weeks? Nope. Pi$$ poor.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 83
Ipswin
November 19, 2017, 1:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Did many non league teams play "exciting" football when we where down there? Maybe that's the way it is at that level if you want to get up.

We'll find out next season

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 83
grimsby pete
November 19, 2017, 2:05pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
I saw Hurst on the BBC before yesterdays game and he looked and sounded a different bloke that was here for 5+ years.

Maybe it's because they are top of the league or it could be he is happy working for some HONEST people ( his words not mine )

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 83
jock dock tower
November 19, 2017, 2:09pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Quoted from Cambs Mariner
What about when the non chairman loses the fans?

The non chairman doesn't have any fans as far as I know.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 83
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.