9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
November 18, 2017, 5:25pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Not much to report really. It was much better than the last home game and we were better than Carlisle, who looked just as poor as every other side that have come here this season, but as is our wont, we gifted them a goal with poor marking and you just knew we wouldn't get a serious shot at their goal after that, never mind an equaliser. Rotating front players today and none of them look like a proper striker.

Two poor sides, boring as fook. Apathy reigns at BP.
Logged Offline
Private Message
jimgtfc
November 18, 2017, 5:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,070
Gold Stars: 44
With all due respect Ginny we got a point in the last home game... nothing today.

I used to enjoy writing my in depth opinion on each game on the just back thread, but just can’t be bothered anymore.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 83
Gaffer58
November 18, 2017, 5:33pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
What is it with when they have a corner we bring everybody back into the box, there is no outlet so when we clear it they just automatically have the ball with nobody pressing them, hence they already start another attack, it has been this way all season, Slade has not got a clue!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 83
mimma
November 18, 2017, 5:35pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
Not leaving a player up when defending a corner is criminal. Even more so when a goal down.
Football is awful under Slade. Too negative, frightened to attack, stand off, always second to the ball, no belief.

When they had the ball they had options, with players moving into space to receive the ball. We were the exact opposite. When we have the ball there is no movement what so ever resulting in aimless balls that are easy to defend. We are too quick to get back to defend, but very slow to attack when we get it.

Something has to give soon, and it will be Slade that goes, paying the price on percentage football with no skill involved.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 83
Perkins
November 18, 2017, 5:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Just a quick thank you to Carlisle Utd today for demonstrating to everyone at Blundell Park what a goal actually looks like.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 83
cmackenzie4
November 18, 2017, 5:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
In all my time of supporting Town I don’t think I’ve ever bern as unenthusiastic as I am now about Town, me and my lad was just saying today that we’ve lost all interest at this moment in time. 👎

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 83
ginnywings
November 18, 2017, 5:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from jimgtfc
With all due respect Ginny we got a point in the last home game... nothing today.

I used to enjoy writing my in depth opinion on each game on the just back thread, but just can’t be bothered anymore.

I'm more of an entertainment type fan than a results one. We may have got a point last time but it was more dismal a game than today by far. 1 point, 0 points, whatever.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 83
Bigdog
November 18, 2017, 5:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from ginnywings
Not much to report really. It was much better than the last home game and we were better than Carlisle, who looked just as poor as every other side that have come here this season, but as is our wont, we gifted them a goal with poor marking and you just knew we wouldn't get a serious shot at their goal after that, never mind an equaliser. Rotating front players today and none of them look like a proper striker.

Two poor sides, boring as fook. Apathy reigns at BP.

Would we be better Ginny if we dispensed with the big men up top ie Matt, Hooper and Vernon? Play either Cardwell or Jones as a sort of false number nine with Dembele, DJ and Osbourne as the three behind? You don't need to be a big guy to hold the ball up, just need to be quicker to the ball. That big slow target man theory was left in the 20th century..

Don't know what K Osbourne has to do to get a game. We've no pace at the back and we also concede free headers, so what's the point of playing Collins and Clarke together? Osbourne's quicker and definitely better on the ball.

Didn't agree with Slade's signings in the summer. He's totally stuffed us and we've got 30 players on our books and only one left back and he's shite..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 83
Hagrid
November 18, 2017, 5:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,391
Gold Stars: 529
Tbf i dont think the 2 CBS are bad at all, least of our worries
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 83
sapper mariner
November 18, 2017, 5:47pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +486
Gold Stars: 7
Toothless.

Ubique
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 83
ginnywings
November 18, 2017, 5:53pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Bigdog

Would we be better Ginny if we dispensed with the big men up top ie Matt, Hooper and Vernon? Play either Cardwell or Jones as a sort of false number nine with Dembele, DJ and Osbourne as the three behind? You don't need to be a big guy to hold the ball up,  just need to be quicker to the ball.  That big slow target theory was left in the 20th century..

Don't know what K Osbourne has to do to get a game. We've no pace at the back and we also concede free headers, so what's the point of playing Collins and Clarke together? Osbourne's quicker and definitely better on the ball.

Didn't agree with Slade's signings in the summer. He's totally stuffed us and we've got 30 players on our books and only one left back and he's shite..

Possibly, but Slade won't do anything like that. He's too old school and besides i just don't think we have good enough players in the squad. His and Wilko's recruitment has been shockingly bad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 83
Mendonca1995
November 18, 2017, 5:55pm
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
vernon has to be one of the worst strikers I’ve ever seen at town what does he do why does slade keep starting him he’s meant to score goals and as past stats prove it’s obvious he can’t its getting worse game by game crowds dropping by 100-200 each time something had to give and fast

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 83
MuddyWaters
November 18, 2017, 5:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from ginnywings

Possibly, but Slade won't do anything like that. He's too old school and besides i just don't think we have good enough players in the squad. His and Wilko's recruitment has been shockingly bad.

Almost as bad as Fenty's.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 83
Hagrid
November 18, 2017, 5:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mendonca1995
vernon has to be one of the worst strikers I’ve ever seen at town what does he do why does slade keep starting him he’s meant to score goals and as past stats prove it’s obvious he can’t its getting worse game by game crowds dropping by 100-200 each time something had to give and fast

Thought he did okay with his headers and hold up play but he will never score a goal, but saying that we dont create chances anyway! Second half i cant remember a shot
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 83
chipsandgravy
November 18, 2017, 5:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,586
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from ginnywings

I'm more of an entertainment type fan than a results one. We may have got a point last time but it was more dismal a game than today by far. 1 point, 0 points, whatever.

So you are. I seem to remember you said the same under Hurst's reign. Eloquently I may add!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 83
headingly_mariner
November 18, 2017, 6:02pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
We were the better side, but we are struggling with a budget strikeforce. Time for a changes. Fenty Out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 83
Bigdog
November 18, 2017, 6:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Mendonca1995

We played Carlisle at home this time last year on a TUESDAY night which are generally less well supported. Attendance, 4800, so we're more than 1k down a game at present and it's going to get worse. Fenty's decisions are costing the club around £20k a week. Over a season that's £500k.. Yet he's not accountable to anyone because he LOANED us some money FIFTEEN years ago..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 83
zorro_is_a_Mariner
November 18, 2017, 6:27pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Bigdog

We played Carlisle at home this time last year on a TUESDAY night which are generally less well supported. Attendance, 4800, so we're more than 1k down a game at present and it's going to get worse. Fenty's decisions are costing the club around £20k a week. Over a season that's £500k.. Yet he's not accountable to anyone because he LOANED us some money FIFTEEN years ago..

I think it was bignots second game at home in charge that why it would be a bit higher but I do agree it's dropping quiet quickly this season.

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 83
oldun
November 18, 2017, 6:36pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Today we could have had the game won in the first 20 mins. Had plenty of posession and forward play. Jaisimi and Dembele caused them all sorts of problems and Summerfield supported very well. But for some excellent saves by their keeper we would have been 2 goals to the good by half time. Davies and Mills were getting forward. We were in control at the back. However Vernon and Hooper don't look like they will score. I was disappointed in Mitch Rose today who did not contribute much to the team. Our one serious defensive mistake cost us a goal and after that we huffed and puffed in desperation but never looked likely to score, It does not matter which strikers are playing, none of them are going to be regular scorers. Must stick with Jaisimi and Dembele must stay as wide players for Tues, maybe young Cardwell could have a go up top. Nothing to lose.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 83
MuddyWaters
November 18, 2017, 6:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Hoping Berrett's fit for Tuesday - Rose was anonymous. Also hope Davies and Mills are retained as the full backs and we look at a different attacking set-up. Mills or DJ for my MOTM.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 83
fleabag1970
November 18, 2017, 6:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
And JF just gave himself 200k ............ must be reward for his time in charge or it could be 100k of op money ?????

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 83
TAGG
November 18, 2017, 7:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,960
Gold Stars: 124
I was hoping to see a goal with having four changes.

No chance of that.

First half was not so bad with Rose looking good after a lot of time off and Carlisle not looking all that.

Was optimistic for the second half but after about 5 minutes realised I must have been living in parallel world.

The twit in the hat made four changes in personnel but absolutely no change tactics.

His substitutions were like for like and made things worse.
He can't change a system to save his life.

Let's look at his insistence of packing the box for any opposition dead ball situations. Every Town fan is sick to death of it.
Their goal today was a direct result of this tactic.
We have in Dembelie one of the quickest players in the league and one of the smallest so what advantage does he give us being in our box for corners?????
He and another need to bee outside our box for an out ball.

I can't for the life of me see how Fenty ever appointed a manager that is well on the way down, who had been sacked three times in the previous twelve months and was excrement the first time around.

We will be relegated because we can't score.

I can't fault the players for their endeavour today but if you play to Slades instruction it's gonna make any player look excrement.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 83
londonmariner2
November 18, 2017, 7:06pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: -24
Gold Stars: 1
I personally didnt think it was that bad today. A fairly even game with chances which could have gone either way.
Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 83
moosey_club
November 18, 2017, 7:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,209
Gold Stars: 225
Well....Carlisle pretty poor i thought....only looked a danger when we switched off....which we did on maybe four occassions..Collins and Davies twice getting in a muddle in the first half which Macca saved one and they overran a second....then again for their goal, giving them so much room on the right to pick out the goal scorer and also with that backpass that Macca just managed smother and smuggle away from their striker.

As for us... brighter first half, managed to get behind them a few times but little end result. At least we had wingers that would attack with a bit of pace but i thought Siriki was quiet today. We faded as the game went on though.  Jamie Osbourn didnt look ready to play to me but would have much rather seen him in the centre as opposed to being on the wing.

Russ just needs to face facts, our strikers are static, incapable of beating a man, they are not quick ,they rarely face or run towards the opposition goal, there are virtually no signs of a partnership being formed between any of the permutations tried so far and as if that wasnt bad enough....they are very poorly supported from centre mid, our deliveries from out wide and set pieces is shocking and 90% of the balls they receive are at or above shoulder height......wonder why we cant score ?
Vernon....doesnt score, hardly shoots, cant recall him assisting a great deal either yet he seems to be the No.1 choice.....i am utterly perplexed as to how someone has managed to get as many games with the stats he is producing.

Tuesday could be very significant for Russ now. Didnt hear post match but i presume he was disappointed that our first half dominance didnt result in a goal and not taking chances has cost us again...

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 83
arryarryarry
November 18, 2017, 7:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Nor sure I agree with the views they were worse than us, a fairly entertaining game by two poor sides.

I thought they edged the game, they could have had a couple of goals like we could have had in the first half but second half they were more dangerous than we were, in fact I cant remember a shot on target for us in the second half.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 83
arryarryarry
November 18, 2017, 7:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from moosey_club
Well....Carlisle pretty poor i thought....only looked a danger when we switched off....which we did on maybe four occassions..Collins and Davies twice getting in a muddle in the first half which Macca saved one and they overran a second....then again for their goal, giving them so much room on the right to pick out the goal scorer and also with that backpass that Macca just managed smother and smuggle away from their striker.

As for us... brighter first half, managed to get behind them a few times but little end result. At least we had wingers that would attack with a bit of pace but i thought Siriki was quiet today. We faded as the game went on though.  Jamie Osbourn didnt look ready to play to me but would have much rather seen him in the centre as opposed to being on the wing.

Russ just needs to face facts, our strikers are static, incapable of beating a man, they are not quick ,they rarely face or run towards the opposition goal, there are virtually no signs of a partnership being formed between any of the permutations tried so far and as if that wasnt bad enough....they are very poorly supported from centre mid, our deliveries from out wide and set pieces is shocking and 90% of the balls they receive are at or above shoulder height......wonder why we cant score ?
Vernon....doesnt score, hardly shoots, cant recall him assisting a great deal either yet he seems to be the No.1 choice.....i am utterly perplexed as to how someone has managed to get as many games with the stats he is producing.

Tuesday could be very significant for Russ now. Didnt hear post match but i presume he was disappointed that our first half dominance didnt result in a goal and not taking chances has cost us again...

I could mention a rumour I heard today.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 83
moosey_club
November 18, 2017, 7:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,209
Gold Stars: 225
Quoted from arryarryarry

If it was from Matt Dean i would ignore it  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 83
Bigdog
November 18, 2017, 7:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

Because if you play two slow centre halves they naturally drop deeper. Consequence, the midfield drops deeper further isolating the forwards and limiting the opportunity for midfielders to make dangerous runs beyond the forwards or creative advanced support play. The forwards being so far from the central defenders means the distribution to them is made more difficult. And as RS has just said in his interview, he's had to bring everyone into our box to defend set pieces because we were conceding too many. Having to do this is hardly a ringing endorsement of our central defending skills. On the face of it, Collins and Clarke might not seem to be doing that badly but there are hidden tactical consequences for their deficiencies that affect overall team performance.. Free header again today wasn't it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 83
arryarryarry
November 18, 2017, 7:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

Were you in the bog when they scored?
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 83
mimma
November 18, 2017, 7:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
They scored from a corner which was half cleared, they had the freedom of the park to cross, and they scored from a free header. We had everyone back in the area yet they still had all the room they wanted.

what's the point of pulling everyone back if they all ball watch and go to sleep?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 83
ginnywings
November 18, 2017, 7:58pm

Recovering Alcoholic
We brought back everyone to defend a set piece which was cleared to an unmarked man on the edge of the box, who then passed to a wide man without Davies being tight to him and he then crossed to a player who got in front of his marker and flicked in a header. It was a good finish actually, the type our forwards never do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 83
headingly_mariner
November 18, 2017, 7:59pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ginnywings
We brought back everyone to defend a set piece which was cleared to an unmarked man on the edge of the box, who then passed to a wide man without Davies being tight to him and he then crossed to a player who got in front of his marker and flicked in a header. It was a good finish actually, the type our forwards never do.

The type that hit the net  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 83
Hagrid
November 18, 2017, 8:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Were you in the bog when they scored?

Wasnt their man. Must have been you who missed it!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 83
lukeo
November 18, 2017, 8:18pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,354
Gold Stars: 143
I didn't go but by what I've read it's a slight improvement. It's funny isn't it. Because how bad we've been playing lately and how poor everything it is not accepted. Yet if this was a few games ago and we tried to play well and lost 1 0, although we would be disappointed we'd accept that you win some and lose some.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 83
arryarryarry
November 18, 2017, 8:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

Wasnt their man. Must have been you who missed it!

Erm, free header in the  middle of the 6 yard box with Collins stood right behind him.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 83
Hagrid
November 18, 2017, 8:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Looks like it was rose's man too me and he let him go. Watch the highlights
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 83
MuddyWaters
November 18, 2017, 8:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

Rose was dreadful today, particularly 2nd half.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 83
Caveman
November 18, 2017, 8:41pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +767
Gold Stars: 17
What are highlights ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 83
Maringer
November 18, 2017, 8:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
I didn't think Carlisle were bad at all. Not brilliant by any means but they passed it around better than us, had better central midfielders and more threatening strikers. Despite this, we still had more opportunities to score so their defence obviously wasn't great. Just a pity their keeper played well.

Keeping all the players back for set pieces is an idiotic choice, regardless of the fact we may have been conceding goals from set pieces.

It might reduce the number conceded by one or two over the season, but it pretty much negates any chance of us scoring many goals on the counter. At the very least, have somebody (Dembele, perhaps?) standing ten yards outside the area so they can stop an opponent easily picking up the ball at the edge of our box and give us a slight chance of a break. I say Dembele because of his height, not because he's quick, because he's just not. Nippy over a few yards but caught over a longer distance relatively easily. Unfortunately, we don't have anybody with real pace since Bolarinwa was sent out on loan, not that he was getting in the squad in any case.

Today, as so often this season, the problem was that not enough players were performing consistently well. If a winger beats a man the cross or following pass is invariably poor. If we get in a good cross which finds our player, the shot is then poor or weak. If a player takes a difficult ball down well, their next touch is often poor. Too often, a good pass is followed by a terrible first touch by the teammate. Worst of all is the decision making when in attack is generally terrible. It would be interesting to see just how many of our nascent attacks are ruined by our poor choices or individual errors as opposed to good opposition defending. There is no continuity in the team at the moment so, even against average defences, we never put them under real pressure to force enough errors.

I'm not really sure where the problem lies. Is it that the players just aren't good enough or is it that the quality of training and coaching/style of play is the issue?

Young players such as Dembele and Jaiyesimi making the wrong decisions much of the time is understandable but when you've got seasoned professionals such as Collins, Davies, Clarke and Vernon doing the same, you've got a real problem. The stupid nature of some of the errors is the most frustrating thing - ignoring obvious passes, messing up easy passes, poor control for no reason and the like.

The surprise is that Slade's style relies on simple things being done correctly, but that is far from what is occurring here. Our only chances tend to come from individual skill, set pieces or opposition errors. Surely we should be creating more chances with the overall style of play?

Dare I say it, but the reason Summerfield has been one of our best players of late is because he is doing the simple stuff correctly. Gets the ball, passes it in quickly. Wins a challenge, moves the ball on to a teammate. OK, today he gave it away on a couple of occasions but generally he's been one of the few players (apart from the defenders) who are doing the basics consistently. Ditto for Berrett who has offered a lot more than Rose did today for most of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 83
Croxton
November 18, 2017, 9:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 33
Yes, Summerfield tries to up the tempo but Hooper and Vernon are slow to react and fail to battle for possession. When DJ gets it to feet he links play well but he and Dembele need others to support. A little bit of Jack Lester about DJ's game. JT tried to suggest to RS that DJ could have played inside when subs where made but RS waffled his way out of it. If he keeps to his system we are doomed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 83
chaos33
November 18, 2017, 9:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,870
Gold Stars: 353
I think the aspect that infuriates me the most is that not only is Slade's philosophy/system so limited, but  to just blindly go on sticking to it when you patently haven't got the players to make it work just looks like sheer bloody mindedness, or lunacy. This could cost us our league place!

FFS - look at the goals return, the lack of wins, the sickening lack of chances created, the endless tedious home non performances......it not working!!! To just blindly plod on regardless is asking for disaster.

Somethings got to change John. Probably you, or him.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 83
mariner91
November 18, 2017, 9:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,578
Gold Stars: 260
Hopefully both Chaos.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 83
Grimbiggs
November 18, 2017, 10:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
A better game then of late at home, pretty even, with us having the better chances. First half was pretty good from us, and if it wasn't for their keeper we could have been two up, a brilliant save particularly from the header. Jaiyesimi started brightly, adding more pace and creativity, whilst fading in the 2nd half, he must surely be a regular in that position. I thought Rose was poor, being well off the pace today, whilst Dembele seems to be getting marked out of games now. It was nice to see Osbourne make I return, and I would like to see him start Tuesday night. I will reiterate what others have said, and voiced my opinions vehemently throughout the match, WHY OH WHY do we not leave somebody upfront when the opposition have dangerous free-kicks and corners, this has been happening for far too long, and when we do clear the ball it just invites further pressure!

What has also been blatantly obvious from the beginning of the season, is that we have a toothless attack, it doesn't matter who starts, this must be the worst bunch of strikers we've had in years, come the new year this needs addressing urgently. I'd personally send Matt back to Blackpool, as a big striker he offers nothing.Anyway whilst we conceded a soft goal, I don't think we defended to badly,

So overall two very average sides, who are unlikely to trouble either end of the table, and who are going to finish in mid-table obscurity....UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 83
Theimperialcoroner
November 18, 2017, 11:04pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,141
Gold Stars: 102
ABIV?

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 83
louth_in_the_south
November 18, 2017, 11:52pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,656
Gold Stars: 94
Once a manager loses the fans his days are numbered.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 83
Cambs Mariner
November 18, 2017, 11:56pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +1,233
What about when the non chairman loses the fans?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 83
LH
November 18, 2017, 11:57pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,459
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from Cambs Mariner

He lingers for years and starts withdrawing his benign loans.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 83
Cambs Mariner
November 19, 2017, 12:10am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +1,233
Because he has already stated to the public that the loans are benign and that he would never put the club in financial difficulty by taking said loans out of the club, they are something he can never take without a legal battle. Unless of course the next owner of GTFC agrees to pay him all of the money owed or both parties agree a settlement fee.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 83
forza ivano
November 19, 2017, 12:15am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from arryarryarry

Oh go on then, I do like a nice juicy rumour!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 83
LH
November 19, 2017, 12:20am

Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,459
Gold Stars: 172
I don’t think taking 20% of annual profit would put us in financial peril although I do think £200k could be the difference between turgid, number-maker-uppers and reasonably entertaining, play-off hopefuls.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 83
arryarryarry
November 19, 2017, 5:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

Oh go on then, I do like a nice juicy rumour!

Well, you did ask.

I heard yesterday that RS had two games to turn it round or he could be gone. So one down and it's not looking good.

However, don't shoot the messenger.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 83
arryarryarry
November 19, 2017, 6:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

Seen the highlights and when they scored we had 4 players in the six yard box excluding McKeown and they had 1 player.

So if Collins wasn't trying to defend the cross, what the frig was he supposed to be doing?
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 83
grimps
November 19, 2017, 6:29am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,095
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from londonmariner2
I personally didnt think it was that bad today. A fairly even game with chances which could have gone either way.
Utm

This is the problem !
I said recently that Woods team that neverr won for 20 odd games often outplayed the other team but never won, crap teams can play well and lose alot , good teams can play bad and win.
Under Hurst we often played what I would say wasnt very exciting and was often what I thought was lucky to win , maybe thats the difference ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 83
Mrs Doyle
November 19, 2017, 6:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Once a manager loses the fans his days are numbered.

Slade must be use to it by now after Coventry fans had to endure much of the same. he's on his way down like a lot of our defence.

We are screaming out for a striker who can score goals.

Having to shore up the defence at set pieces shows how bad thing are and how much faith Slade as in our defenders.

Opposing teams must think its their birthday all their defenders parked on the edge of the area no pressure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 83
TheRealJohnLewis
November 19, 2017, 9:09am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Because he has already stated to the public that the loans are benign and that he would never put the club in financial difficulty by taking said loans out of the club, they are something he can never take without a legal battle. Unless of course the next owner of GTFC agrees to pay him all of the money owed or both parties agree a settlement fee.

There are NO such things as a benign loan.  IT'S A CLUCKING LOAN! There is no agreement in place as to when the loans will be paid back which is the most worrying aspect as he could start to recall at any point. There would be no legal battle, nothing. Just because Fenty say's he won't recall his loans doesn't mean he can't.

Even though the club made a profit last year the accounts are still negative, so by taking £200K, he's increasing the chance of putting the club in financial difficulties.

Private Message
Reply: 54 - 83
November 19, 2017, 9:44am
Guest User
Look I've seen a lot worse, from Bobby Kennedy (he did bring Matt Tees back though), Tom Casey, Bobby Roberts, Alan Buckley's first two months (probably a hangover from the previous dreadful season), Lennie Lawrence's last two months in charge, Nicky Law (dreadful), Mike Neul and Neil Woods.
John Fenty is a fan, a big one at that and he's put his money in. Why hasn't someone come forward to take over the club then?
John Fenty in terms of league success is the least successful Chairman/director in our history. Great fans do not make great chairman.
50/50 split over Slade coming back with the fans, now probably 85/15 in favour of wanting him gone. I'm in the 85%.
There was a feeling that Wilko was a reasonable appointment but mmmmm.
Support your Team, not the manager or chairman, unless they are doing well.
I remember standing in the boys stand paying my 2s3d entry my pocket money was 1/2 Crown, standing in the snow in November watching Bradford Park Avenue play Town. Now that was a bad match.
Reply: 55 - 83
KingstonMariner
November 19, 2017, 10:41am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
In answer to your question thedonusthedon, does his behaviour look like that of someone who you’d want to work with or who can work with partners? He shows absolute disdain for his major stakeholders.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 83
Marinerz93
November 19, 2017, 10:49am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

There are NO such things as a benign loan.  IT'S A CLUCKING LOAN! There is no agreement in place as to when the loans will be paid back which is the most worrying aspect as he could start to recall at any point. There would be no legal battle, nothing. Just because Fenty say's he won't recall his loans doesn't mean he can't.

Even though the club made a profit last year the accounts are still negative, so by taking £200K, he's increasing the chance of putting the club in financial difficulties.

Under the Parkers shares fiasco with MP being a multimillionaire do you think after Parker would have been forced to buy all Fenty's shares under article 9 that Fenty would have wanted his loans paying in full.

That would sort of explain why he off loaded £500k worth of shares to the trust and why Fenty put a block on the trust accepting any more shares from Mike Parker.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 83
HertsGTFC
November 19, 2017, 10:52am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Didn't go yesterday due to work but my dad said we created more chances then in previous games but the finishing was dreadful.

You have to ask yourself why couldn't Slade bring in a half decent striker? how likely is it that he has the connections to do it in Jan?

Though he got some wrong in general Hurt seemed to have a good scouting network and despite him being a deluded tw@t Bignot has left us with Jones & Osborne. What can RS muster? Feels like it's just failures from clubs where he has also failed.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 83
TheRealJohnLewis
November 19, 2017, 10:58am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from Marinerz93

Under the Parkers shares fiasco with MP being a multimillionaire do you think after Parker would have been forced to buy all Fenty's shares under article 9 that Fenty would have wanted his loans paying in full.

That would sort of explain why he off loaded £500k worth of shares to the trust and why Fenty put a block on the trust accepting any more shares from Mike Parker.

Quite possibly, a bit of damage limitation by MP, so he didn't have to fork out another 3-4 million.  

Private Message
Reply: 59 - 83
Marinerz93
November 19, 2017, 11:01am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 140067
John Fenty is a fan, a big one at that and he's put his money in. Why hasn't someone come forward to take over the club then?
John Fenty in terms of league success is the least successful Chairman/director in our history. Great fans do not make great chairman.

Unlike others I don't think he is a big of a fan as people make out he is, he is a businessman and most businessmen are opportunists. Simply why no one has come forward to take over is the debt hold Fenty has over the club, due to his hiring and firing policy over 2 relegations and 10 years of decline, he has lumbered the club the cost of his mistakes, and no one wants to clear that. Would you buy a car then pay double on top the what the car is worth for previous repairs due to poor maintenance, I wouldn't.

Fenty has surrounded himself with yes men or people who can't challenge his position due to the massive debt he has saddled the club with. It's funny that we had a multimillionaire businessman in MP his experience alone worth more than Fenty's debt and what happened for him to leave the board, the Mullens, lottery winners, what happened to them.

Without Fenty it's argued we would have gone into administration with him we are were we are, stagnant, and we are stagnant for the reasons outlined in the 2nd paragraph.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 83
HertsGTFC
November 19, 2017, 11:12am

Barley Wine Drinker
I am not convinced JF put money into GTFC purely for business reasons as it would give him no real chance of any ROI. Though it's clear the current model gives him complete control unless a Euro millions winner fancies a new toy.

The reality I there is no value in GTFC as an investment opportunity so the likelihood of any movement in the board room is slim at best.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 83
Garth
November 19, 2017, 12:06pm

Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from grimps

This is the problem !
I said recently that Woods team that neverr won for 20 odd games often outplayed the other team but never won, crap teams can play well and lose alot , good teams can play bad and win.
Under Hurst we often played what I would say wasnt very exciting and was often what I thought was lucky to win , maybe thats the difference ?

Actually you are correct but in fairness  he did have strikers of the calibre of Podge and Omar, with the additions of Nolan and Arnold, four players who would have made us a tasty team in this league if they were still here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 83
HertsGTFC
November 19, 2017, 12:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimps

This is the problem !

Did many non league teams play "exciting" football when we where down there? Maybe that's the way it is at that level if you want to get up.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 83
sam gy
November 19, 2017, 12:46pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,416
Gold Stars: 53
I’d imagine the same applies for League 2. It’s not as if anyone in this league is playing sexy football.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 83
barralad
November 19, 2017, 1:09pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from arryarryarry

Seen the highlights and when they scored we had 4 players in the six yard box excluding McKeown and they had 1 player.

So if Collins wasn't trying to defend the cross, what the frig was he supposed to be doing?

Aren't you and Hagrid missing the essential point that any decent team should really get away with one seemingly catastrophic mistake at home?

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 83
chaos33
November 19, 2017, 1:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,870
Gold Stars: 353
It's a good point Barra. We don't have the players or the attacking intent to deal with conceding though do we, or so it seems.

Too many of our offensive players are poor. There seems to be no directive on attacking. No ideas. Nothing up the sleeve. Just the old 'let's hope for a set piece, a decent cross or an opposition error. It's no good is it. That's no plan. Trying to 0-0 your way to safety.
As Ginny mentioned yesterday - how many shots did we manage in the last 10 minutes of yesterday's game? Any pressure on Carlisle at all? Any pressure on any of our BP opponents in recent weeks? Nope. Pi$$ poor.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 83
Ipswin
November 19, 2017, 1:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Did many non league teams play "exciting" football when we where down there? Maybe that's the way it is at that level if you want to get up.

We'll find out next season

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 83
grimsby pete
November 19, 2017, 2:05pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
I saw Hurst on the BBC before yesterdays game and he looked and sounded a different bloke that was here for 5+ years.

Maybe it's because they are top of the league or it could be he is happy working for some HONEST people ( his words not mine )

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 83
jock dock tower
November 19, 2017, 2:09pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164

The non chairman doesn't have any fans as far as I know.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 83
MuddyWaters
November 19, 2017, 2:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jock dock tower

Squarkus, sonik & Fishy Fishtails.....the list goes on.
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 83
grimsby pete
November 19, 2017, 2:29pm

Exile
Quoted from MuddyWaters

160  to 3 then

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 83
Mrs Doyle
November 19, 2017, 9:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I am not convinced JF put money into GTFC purely for business reasons as it would give him no real chance of any ROI. Though it's clear the current model gives him complete control unless a Euro millions winner fancies a new toy.

The reality I there is no value in GTFC as an investment opportunity so the likelihood of any movement in the board room is slim at best.  

Not sure any clubs are regarded as investments to me they are rich mens status symbols or extentions of their ego's.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 83
Marinerz93
November 19, 2017, 10:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jock dock tower

Just under 11% of the fishy are either related, part of the inner circle or just can see any wrong in him. I'm guessing it's only 2 or 3 members with no connection to JF who voted for him.

Private Message
Reply: 73 - 83
HertsGTFC
November 19, 2017, 11:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

Just under 11% of the fishy are either related, part of the inner circle or just can see any wrong in him. I'm guessing it's only 2 or 3 members with no connection to JF who voted for him.

Where did the 11% come from?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 83
arryarryarry
November 19, 2017, 11:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Aren't you and Hagrid missing the essential point that any decent team should really get away with one seemingly catastrophic mistake at home?

Catastrophic mistake? it was excrement defending as has happened over the past few weeks that have cost us goals.

I don't know if you made the game, but they could have scored three in the first half with effectively two one on ones and a free header that they should have done better with, so not just the one mistake.

Private Message
Reply: 75 - 83
Marinerz93
November 20, 2017, 12:12am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Where did the 11% come from?

The poll on Fenty, where does the fishy stand? Nearly 46% (64) want him gone , a fraction over 11% (16) to carry on as he is, Just under 18% (25) want him to start a process to clear the debt, 25% (35) want him to appoint a Chairman to run the club. Clear the majority on here want change both on and off the field.

Private Message
Reply: 76 - 83
1mickylyons
November 20, 2017, 8:24am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from MuddyWaters

How many brothers does John have?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 83
HertsGTFC
November 20, 2017, 10:21am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

The poll on Fenty, where does the fishy stand? Nearly 46% (64) want him gone , a fraction over 11% (16) to carry on as he is, Just under 18% (25) want him to start a process to clear the debt, 25% (35) want him to appoint a Chairman to run the club. Clear the majority on here want change both on and off the field.

Ta!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 83
grimsby pete
November 20, 2017, 11:31am

Exile
Quoted from 1mickylyons

How many brothers does John have?

Well he will have when he goes to join that monastery I have enrolled him at.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 83
MuddyWaters
November 20, 2017, 11:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

Well he will have when he goes to join that monastery I have enrolled him at.

There were 3783 who appeared to have taken a vow of silence on Saturday. (There looked less than that to me!)
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 83
ginnywings
November 20, 2017, 12:04pm

Recovering Alcoholic
The 200 odd Carlisle fans were not silent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 83
MuddyWaters
November 20, 2017, 12:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
The 200 odd Carlisle fans were not silent.

Fair point - did you think there were 3600 Town?
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 83
ginnywings
November 20, 2017, 12:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Fair point - did you think there were 3600 Town?

It looked sparse but i have never been one of those that believe the club massage the figures. It only equates very roughly to 1200 in each of the three home stands, so seems about right to me. Must be a couple of thousand in the Upper and Lower alone i would have thought.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 83
9 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.