HertsGTFC
November 7, 2017, 1:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from headingly_mariner

That is not clear, it's just your opinion. Lots of people would disagree with that and some would argue we'd have been better off without his involvement.

In wrote "Though I am now bored with the history but it's clear that in essence John saved the club with his financial support or if he didn't the money he put in certainly helped" so are you saying we did not need the level of personal funds he put into the club, though it's a while back I seem to remember we did not have a pot to p1ss in.

How much as he put in personally? What impact did it have on the cash flow? What would the alternative investments (donations) look like? Who else seriously came forward with similar amounts? Where would we have got the money from ? Did his finance keep us from a winding up order? etc... etc.. etc...

The topic is more about how we move forward that debating history that neither of us have the full facts about.      

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 93
MuddyWaters
November 7, 2017, 3:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,242
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from grimsby pete
When John Fenty asked me to phone him he assured me that his benign loans would not put people off from investing in Town.

He informed me that if a person came forward who wanted to invest X amount of pounds but they could not also give him his loans back. He could live with that as long as the deal was right for the club.

So all we need is a rich man/woman or business to come forward with the money and John would step down.

He also said he has spent money of trying to find investors to no avail up to now but he will  continue looking.

If you believe him and I do all we need is that person to come forward,

PS    I am neither a Fenty fan or a hater but I think it is wrong the Trust have to pay £30,000 a year to be on the board and as a lifetime member I hope they do not have to pay a fee any more

The trust would still provide funding for the club to which the money could be directed were the Trust feels it is needed..

With respect Pete, it's alright telling you that over the phone but it's not what a potential investor's accountant would see.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 93
realist
November 7, 2017, 7:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,685
Gold Stars: 41
Sonik talks out of his backside.  We have had potential major investors wanting to get involved  and they  have all left .
Why? Because of Fenty. If your poisonous clan left the club I bet the investors would return.
  Secoundly, the trust is made up of volunteers  and despite there hard work the trust makes a loss whilst the rich non chairmen pays off debt. I find this incredulous. If fenty had one once of decency he would return some money to the trust. The trust should also get some professional advice because they have such a poor deal with the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 93
crusty ole pie
November 7, 2017, 7:43pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,327
Gold Stars: 66
If the trust failed to make a profit this year what its chances of meeting its obligation to the club next year, if that is the case will we lose our place on the board ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 93
MuddyWaters
November 7, 2017, 7:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I'm not knocking the Trust or the initiative to put the club in the heart of the community but isn't it more than slightly ironic that, in that case, the club is in the sole control of one man who charges the fans' trust for a seat on the board where their stance/opinion/viewpoint can be ignored?
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 93
friskneymariner
November 7, 2017, 8:09pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
I was fully aware the Trust were only being fed crumbs off the table,didn't realise they were paying 5 star prices.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 93
KingstonMariner
November 7, 2017, 8:46pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I'm not knocking the Trust or the initiative to put the club in the heart of the community but isn't it more than slightly ironic that, in that case, the club is in the sole control of one man who charges the fans' trust for a seat on the board where their stance/opinion/viewpoint can be ignored?

This much was obvious years ago when JF pointed loaded gun at the Trust's head and the Trust (board and membership) caved in. Hopefully everyone's learned the lesson.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 93
MuddyWaters
November 7, 2017, 8:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

This much was obvious years ago when JF pointed loaded gun at the Trust's head and the Trust (board and membership) caved in. Hopefully everyone's learned the lesson.

Mmm..
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 93
barralad
November 7, 2017, 11:01pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
I'll repeat what I said in the Twit thread. John Fenty offered the Trust the option of running the bars. Without the money from the bars we would have no hope whatsoever of raising 30K annually. If we didnt run the bars then either the club would or they would be put out to tender. If it were the former then the club would get the money from the bars and would use it however they saw fit. The club get no more from the deal than they would if they were running the bars themselves. In fact it is perfectly possible that the club could get less than if they ran the bars. The accounts show we make significantly more than 30K. The "losses" come from falling memberships (after the zenith of Operation Promotion year) and far fewer organised events through the year.
However it is dressed up without the bars we couldnt make the necessary contribution. The club didn't need to offer us the bars.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 93
moosey_club
November 7, 2017, 11:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from barralad
I'll repeat what I said in the Twit thread. John Fenty offered the Trust the option of running the bars. Without the money from the bars we would have no hope whatsoever of raising 30K annually. If we didnt run the bars then either the club would or they would be put out to tender. If it were the former then the club would get the money from the bars and would use it however they saw fit. The club get no more from the deal than they would if they were running the bars themselves. In fact it is perfectly possible that the club could get less than if they ran the bars. The accounts show we make significantly more than 30K. The "losses" come from falling memberships (after the zenith of Operation Promotion year) and far fewer organised events through the year.
However it is dressed up without the bars we couldnt make the necessary contribution. The club didn't need to offer us the bars.

i think its fairly obvious now that many of us didnt realise that there was a 30k per annum obligation with the seat on the board, whether that be our own fault for not paying enough attention or the Trusts for not making it clearer before now.

Dont think anyone is doubting how nice it is to have bars available for supporters or how much they maybe worth to the trusts fundraising.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 93
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners Trust AGM

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.