10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
friskneymariner
November 8, 2017, 11:29am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
I would like to take the opportunity to make a fulsome apology to J.F. I have long held the view that his business prowess in being able to run a football club is somewhat lacking.

However to discover that he has been able to divest the club of the hassle that comes with running the bars on matchday's with all the problems of staffing stock ordering and accounting in return for a one off yearly payment of £30,000 which gives the Trust a representation on the board that has virtually no power: pure genius.

Perhaps he has some magic beans he would like to sell.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 93
MuddyWaters
November 8, 2017, 12:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from realist
I just want a club I can be proud of again.  A bit of a run in the cup, some edge of the seat excitement occasionally during a game.
Instead, we have a duff manager who plays the most boring football ever, and a major shareholder who fleeces the supporters trust and won't stand up for his customers when they are abused. To rub salt in the wounds he has his family sticking up for him on here. I am on the verge of giving up. Fenty has killed my love of Town and football

Well said - Fenty couldn't give a f**k about the fans just as long as they come through the gate. Instead of taking back his loans on costs that have been brought about by his mistakes, he should be investing in a team that puts bums on seats and is worthy of a new stadium.
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 93
barralad
November 8, 2017, 2:20pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,193
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I can't believe Barra is actually playing down the Trust's role in making the bars more successful! I can see that a lot of it is down to Sharon, and not wanting to take anything way from her, but who appointed her, who gave her the support, opened up the away bar, the Sid Wheelhouse bar.....

Simple fact is, the bars were not making anything like the money they are now before the Trust took over. We never got plaudits from away fans about facilities in the Osmond before (impossible to estimate but that probably helps encourage people to come back).

So, no I don't accept that we are just giving the club money back that it would have made anyway. At the most I would say we should return the profits to the club up to a capped amount. Anything else should come with strings.

Obviously the amount that gets returned to the club one way or another has to be reduced because the Trust cannot go on making losses, until membership can be boosted again. Perhaps the trust should be more bullish in its approach. Given the way Fenty has ridden roughshod over fans' and the Trust's wishes on the Checkatrade Cup and his silence on the Stevenage farrago, it's time to start calling out these sorts of things as damaging to the long-term economic position of the club as they'll drive people away. It's time to stop worrying about rocking the boat as the pilot is steering it onto the rocks anyway.

My original reason for contributing to this thread was to counter what was in my view an unfair impression that GTFC are bleeding the Trust dry. I suggest if you haven't already done so that you read Cloudy's earlier contribution which gives a good account of the situation. The accounts show that we make considerably more per season than the club claim back. I'm surprised that neither you nor Civvy have recognised my original point that without the bars income the Trust would have no chance of ever making 30K which would mean no Trust presence on the club board. You may belong to the group of fans/members who think that we should leave the board anyway. It's not a view that I subscribe to personally but I accept it is a valid position. However the majority of members who have made their views on this subject known think that we should retain our position. I'm not aware of the history of the bars in respect of the differences in levels of income although I will say my colleagues deserve plenty of credit for maximising the number of outlets. From my perspective there is little else I can say...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 93
MuddyWaters
November 8, 2017, 2:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from barralad

My original reason for contributing to this thread was to counter what was in my view an unfair impression that GTFC are bleeding the Trust dry. I suggest if you haven't already done so that you read Cloudy's earlier contribution which gives a good account of the situation. The accounts show that we make considerably more per season than the club claim back. I'm surprised that neither you nor Civvy have recognised my original point that without the bars income the Trust would have no chance of ever making 30K which would mean no Trust presence on the club board. You may belong to the group of fans/members who think that we should leave the board anyway. It's not a view that I subscribe to personally but I accept it is a valid position. However the majority of members who have made their views on this subject known think that we should retain our position. I'm not aware of the history of the bars in respect of the differences in levels of income although I will say my colleagues deserve plenty of credit for maximising the number of outlets. From my perspective there is little else I can say...

I'm a bit concerned about this 'quid pro quo' arrangement. What happens if the bars make £25k for example? No seat on the board?
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 93
barralad
November 8, 2017, 2:40pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from Civvy at last

Thankyou Bax.

This is exactly the point I am trying to make. Sharon was a Trust appointment, and just as we judge JF by his managerial appointments (good or bad) we can say the same regarding this issue.
I am by no means trying to undermine the fantastic job Sharon and team have done. Not for one moment.  But Barra is indicating that the bars would have been a success whoever was in charge of Sharon and her team.  This clearly not the case.  Sharon has been given backing and the tools to do the job by the TRUST. Which also helps her and her team to be as successful as they have been.  I very much doubt if this would have been the case had the trust not stepped in.  Fair point Barra ?

It's a fair point with the proviso that it makes the assumption that had the Trust not taken up the offer then the bars would've just carried on as they were. The fact that the club made the offer suggests that J.F. realised that all was not well in the world of bars. There are a whole host of things the club could've done to remedy the situation without the Trust being anywhere on the horizon.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 93
barralad
November 8, 2017, 2:46pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I'm a bit concerned about this 'quid pro quo' arrangement. What happens if the bars make £25k for example? No seat on the board?

Now that is where Sharon and The Trust do make significent contributions. There are people on The Trust Board with a wealth of marketing skills. Remember we went through six years of non-league with lower gates and certainly lower away followings yet to my knowledge our ability to meet the target was never ever in danger.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 93
KingstonMariner
November 8, 2017, 4:50pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from barralad

Oh I read Cloudy's contribution. He said the bars were a shambles before the Trust took them over and the staff had neither the skills not inclination to make it better.

Yet you seem to be undermining your own work by saying,
'By giving them 30K per annum we are simply giving them back money that was already theirs.'

'It doesn't matter which organisation has overall control it is the staff at the sharp end who make the difference.'

I wasn't questioning whether running the bars hep the Trust meet the £30k target. I actually belong to the group of members who think the Trust should be on the board. In fact I think we should have a controlling interest. And the more I see of the way the club is run and is heading, the more I think it necessary.

I'm questioning why you would undermine your own efforts by making the two statements I've quoted. And I'm also questioning why it's one rule for the Trust and another for other club directors. It's iniquitous.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 93
barralad
November 8, 2017, 5:32pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Oh I read Cloudy's contribution. He said the bars were a shambles before the Trust took them over and the staff had neither the skills not inclination to make it better.

Yet you seem to be undermining your own work by saying,
'By giving them 30K per annum we are simply giving them back money that was already theirs.'

'It doesn't matter which organisation has overall control it is the staff at the sharp end who make the difference.'

I wasn't questioning whether running the bars hep the Trust meet the £30k target. I actually belong to the group of members who think the Trust should be on the board. In fact I think we should have a controlling interest. And the more I see of the way the club is run and is heading, the more I think it necessary.

I'm questioning why you would undermine your own efforts by making the two statements I've quoted. And I'm also questioning why it's one rule for the Trust and another for other club directors. It's iniquitous.

I'm sorry (a bit) that you think I'm undermining our efforts. To be clear as someone who has been there from the start, I believe the Trust''s main contribution was to entice Sharon back to the fold. That in itself was a masterstroke and once she was "in house" the "old" staff came back and after a Trust sponsored refurb we hit the ground running.
I cannot and will not speak about the differences between the way we oversee the running of the bars and how they were run previously. Firstly it isn't my place and secondly I have no first hand knowledge of what the arrangements were.
As I said in my reply to Civvy earlier there is a massive assumption being made about the way the bars would have been run if the Trust had declined J.F's offer. I genuinely believe that there was significant disquiet about the performance of the bars so things would have changed anyway and there were several things that could've been done to sharpen up that aspect of GTFC.
I will concede I could have worded the 30K bit a little better but you seem unwilling to accept that bar a few strategic decisions made by the board as a whole the success of the bars can be laid ENTIRELY at the door of Sharon and her staff.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 93
grimsby pete
November 8, 2017, 6:00pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I think I understand now but Ian will correct me if I am wrong,  

Fenty told the Trust you can run the bars and any money you make you can keep,

Apart from £30,000  which you will give to the club,

So if you are making over £30,000 its a good deal for all.

Knowing how Town fans like the odd tipple or two ( me included ) the Trust should be quids in for years to come.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 93
KingstonMariner
November 8, 2017, 11:36pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from barralad

I'm sorry (a bit) that you think I'm undermining our efforts. To be clear as someone who has been there from the start, I believe the Trust''s main contribution was to entice Sharon back to the fold. That in itself was a masterstroke and once she was "in house" the "old" staff came back and after a Trust sponsored refurb we hit the ground running.
I cannot and will not speak about the differences between the way we oversee the running of the bars and how they were run previously. Firstly it isn't my place and secondly I have no first hand knowledge of what the arrangements were.
As I said in my reply to Civvy earlier there is a massive assumption being made about the way the bars would have been run if the Trust had declined J.F's offer. I genuinely believe that there was significant disquiet about the performance of the bars so things would have changed anyway and there were several things that could've been done to sharpen up that aspect of GTFC.
I will concede I could have worded the 30K bit a little better but you seem unwilling to accept that bar a few strategic decisions made by the board as a whole the success of the bars can be laid ENTIRELY at the door of Sharon and her staff.

Not unwilling Barra. I think you're being very honourable in praising Sharon and her team. Fair play.

But it's a bit like saying the French won at Austerlitz purely because of the efforts of the Grande Armee soldiers. Yes they were the best trained army in Europe, but if Napoleon hadn't put them there and given them what they needed, it wouldn't have happened. To stretch this metaphor even more, John Fenty is Louis XVI.

PS, you yourself highlighted Cloudy's contribution, and he specifically said the bars were a shambles before.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 93
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners Trust AGM

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.