Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Why does the fishy get laughed at ..
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 15 Guests

Why does the fishy get laughed at ..

This thread currently has 11,447 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
February 7, 2017, 4:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from geir
I agree with all the praise from people here! The Fishy is really special - one of the best forums around for any team.
Comparing this forum with the forum for my hometown club Rosenborg is not difficult, I would say that there may be longer threads on that other forum but due to the excellent and sometimes humourous posts on this forum - the Fishy is winning my attention every time. There is a reason why I am on that other forum once every year, and here almost every day.
This forum is a goldmine for a fan and I think the club may underestimate the positive value it has. Besides, when travelling to England to watch Grimsby, the people on this forum has been very helpful in replying to some of my silly questions and even in offering their assistance towards getting tickets and so on. Much appreciated!
Unfortunately, when contacting certain people in official positions at the club, I have experienced no reply at all. And before someone asks: NO - this has nothing to do with John Fenty. Actually, he sent me a very nice mail, without me asking for it a couple of years ago, so I have no reason to blame him whatsoever. He is an asset for this club and should be treated as such. Criticism is good, but only when it is fair.
Going back to my mail: maybe my questions or proposals were seen as irrelevant, but I still expect an answer. So if more people than me experiences this; then we go to the Fishy to get our answers or discuss our proposals. Sometimes it ends up with "Operation Promotion" and other helpful things for the club.
I hope Bignot, who seems to be very much aware of the fans, will be told that he should take a look around here. In my opinion he should welcome such passionate fans more than he is scared off. And I think he would like the banter around here most of the time.

Thank you for inviting me in and thank you to this forum for all the good times.
May this forum rule Britannia for decades to come!

Up the Mariners!

The sooner we are out of Europe and can ban European community posters writing sensible, happy posts like this the better  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 60
HertsGTFC
February 7, 2017, 4:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,630
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from VinnyGTFC
It's quite heavy of people who criticise people's opinion when they don't have a constructive alternative. There are some quite arrogant keyboard warriors. Which is a shame for those who want to discuss their club

There are certainly some "popular trends" on here and going against popular opinion is not always welcomed by some.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 60
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 7, 2017, 4:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
One thing I notice is there are a lot of exiles like me who find the Fishy a reminder of our home town club. When I was a student my mother used to send me Matt's exploits in the Saturday Telegraph and that was the best we could do in those days. There was no interaction and no way even to even put a point of view because the Telewag didn't do sports letters.

So personally I am very grateful for the Fishy and, like most things Fishy, I am happy to take it with a pinch of salt where necessary.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 60
Hagrid
February 7, 2017, 4:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,987
Gold Stars: 507
i love posting on here and reading the various debates, think theres some excellent posters and some not so good ones.. but all at the end of the day we love GTFC. Fishy means town is 24/7 not just a saturday afternoon

Havent met anyone off this site bar one gentleman who sits behind me at the games who is a genuine friendly bloke and we often start our discussions talking about this site

i also find it fascinating reading the thoughts of the older posters who talk about years gone by with such fondness for our club
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 60
lukeo
February 7, 2017, 6:52pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 133
Moosey you keyboard warrior  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 60
KingstonMariner
February 7, 2017, 8:55pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Chips44
I regularly go on other club's forums,usually the opposition before and after we play them.  One thing comes instantly to mind, they're all very similar,full of adverts,and, I assume ,a franchised format.Compared to The Fishy they are often difficult to find the thread you are looking for. I think The Fishy is a,one off,and a unique excellent forum.

I agree. What I've seen of other forums (not that many to be honest) is that the format is often messy and full of distracting adverts and poor background colour. The Fishy is pretty clear and easy to read. Well done to Rob for that.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 60
KingstonMariner
February 7, 2017, 9:05pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Whilst it's got its share of people I disagree with and daft comments and its irritations, I wouldn't change the Fishy. I don't do Twitter bar lurking at the odd post so can't comment. Same with Facebook.

I've noticed a certain sniffiness on the Codalmighty and the Codpod about the Fishy. Whilst I like both of them, when they look down their noses at the Fishy it makes me realise why people get drunk off with 'student types' who are up themselves banging on about people who are 'meta-football' and generally 'doing it wrong'.

So more power to the Fishy. Warts and all.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 60
Mrs Doyle
February 7, 2017, 9:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
The fishy seems to be read by most of GTFC lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 60
LH
February 7, 2017, 9:31pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
How do you know it's excrement if you claim you don't read it?
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 60
toontown
February 7, 2017, 9:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
Yeah credit to Rob, i often find other forums far less readable.  The fishy does seem to over-react to each individual result but i guess that is pretty natural, i think its a great website and i really enjoy reading it, its intersting but it also makes me laugh out loud sometimes - thanks everyone for making it what it is!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Why does the fishy get laughed at ..

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.