Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Classic Threads  /  
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, February 7, 2017, 8:34am
Clearly the club & lazy journalists read the fishy so why do people on other social media outlets call the fishy full of cranks etc is the fishy full of knowledgeable gtfc fanatics with a valid view or is it full of wum with nothing else to do ?
Posted by: supertown, February 7, 2017, 8:43am; Reply: 1
Bit of both really, like all social media sites, but everyone knows the WUM,s
Posted by: Cloudy, February 7, 2017, 8:59am; Reply: 2
If you need to ask..............  ;) ;) ;)
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 7, 2017, 9:04am; Reply: 3
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Clearly the club & lazy journalists read the fishy so why do people on other social media outlets call the fishy full of cranks etc is the fishy full of knowledgeable gtfc fanatics with a valid view or is it full of wum with nothing else to do ?

Dappaz, forgive my ignorance but what is a "WUM"?  
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 7, 2017, 9:06am; Reply: 4
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Dappaz, forgive my ignorance but what is a "WUM"?  

Wind Up Merchants.
Posted by: GrimRob, February 7, 2017, 9:15am; Reply: 5
“Heart-stopping envy is the sincerest form of flattery.”

― Anna Godbersen, The Luxe
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 7, 2017, 9:16am; Reply: 6
Quoted from Les Brechin

Wind Up Merchants.

Thanks Les.......
Posted by: AussieMariner, February 7, 2017, 9:23am; Reply: 7
Thanks for asking Herts because I didn't have AFC either
Posted by: golfer, February 7, 2017, 9:49am; Reply: 8
Quoted from AussieMariner
Thanks for asking Herts because I didn't have AFC either

What does AFC mean FFS-YAF   :)
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, February 7, 2017, 9:52am; Reply: 9
Quoted from GrimRob
“Heart-stopping envy is the sincerest form of flattery.”

― Anna Godbersen, The Luxe

True and I suppose these people on especially Twitter who despise the fishy still seem to be reading it  8) I mean we're else would you get the chairman of a club interacting with the fans  (icon_eek)
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 7, 2017, 9:58am; Reply: 10

"The Fishy" is probably on the whole no different to any other fans forum.

I don't even have a problem with the WUM's as long as they stay within the rules, I think they "spice things up" at times.

Posted by: Maringer, February 7, 2017, 10:05am; Reply: 11
Nah. Trolls don't add anything to a forum - their whole purpose is to disrupt and cause trouble to gain attention.

Best thing to do is just try to ignore them completely.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, February 7, 2017, 10:21am; Reply: 12
I mean we're else would you get the chairman of a club interacting with the fans  (icon_eek)
Eastleigh for one lol.  I don't really take much notice of other forums though.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 7, 2017, 10:22am; Reply: 13
Quoted from Maringer
Nah. Trolls don't add anything to a forum - their whole purpose is to disrupt and cause trouble to gain attention.

Best thing to do is just try to ignore them completely.

Some do make me laugh though

ie. Dicko's  version of Henderson's recall to United because Marcus threw him under bus for having a poor game.

;D ;D
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, February 7, 2017, 10:25am; Reply: 14
Brighton and Sunderland forums are fairly placid relaxed manner even when they are doing shite.

When we are doing shite, all hell breaks loose. Sack the manager even though he's been here a few weeks! The Board are rubbish! Player <insert name> is shite get rid etc. One extreme to the next lol.
Posted by: Rik e B, February 7, 2017, 10:34am; Reply: 15
I might be wrong but the fishy possibly an older average age than the facefook twàtter crowd?
Posted by: wiggers, February 7, 2017, 10:49am; Reply: 16
Apart from one or two posters, I find this forum is full of great discussions, banter, and gossip. If certain people don't like it, they can do one!! Long live the good ship fishy and all who post in her.
Posted by: highcliff mariner, February 7, 2017, 10:51am; Reply: 17
Quoted from Rik e B
I might be wrong but the fishy possibly an older average age than the facefook twàtter crowd?

Id think that , some of the FB groups make this place look like a place of reason ( in the main) and from what I've seen of Twitter , that's even worse .
UTM
Posted by: livosnose, February 7, 2017, 10:54am; Reply: 18
Just need Macca Bilk back .... hasn't been the same since .... :)
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 7, 2017, 10:56am; Reply: 19
Quoted from Rik e B

I think the older posters on here are the sensible ones  ;)
Posted by: ginnywings, February 7, 2017, 11:09am; Reply: 20
It's like when a band gets popular and people say, i liked them when no-one else had heard of them. Some people just like to "be different" to the crowd and think they are cool because of it. Anything that's popular gets slated by some.
Posted by: 97 (Guest), February 7, 2017, 11:42am; Reply: 21
This forum infuriates me at times, but I've been here (and the fishcake) in one form or another since 1998. In fact, I remember asking someone if the 98 play off final was going to be on Sky as I couldn't afford to get down there.

So, in summary - it's down to loyalty. And being scared of change. And new technology. And going outside.  
Posted by: Mallyner, February 7, 2017, 11:48am; Reply: 22
Quoted from grimsby pete

Some do make me laugh though

ie. Dicko's  version of Henderson's recall to United because Marcus threw him under bus for having a poor game.

;D ;D

He obviously misinterpreted recent news headlines, about young players being under certain coaches.  :)

Such as the Crewe bus.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 7, 2017, 12:00pm; Reply: 23
Apart from looking at other L2 teams usually after we have played them I only go on the Fishy.

It does feel like many posters take time to think about what they write which again is not evident with other clubs boards I have seen.

I reckon we have a good cross section of posters on here which is good, red cross and green tick thing needs scrapping though as it adds nothing.
Posted by: Fat Cobra, February 7, 2017, 12:01pm; Reply: 24
Out of bitterness, were they declined membership after the extreme vetting process?

They'll never reach the dizzy heights of whisky drinker or vodka drinker.
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 7, 2017, 12:10pm; Reply: 25
One of the best fans forums there is for me. You obviously get the WUM's but you come to know who they are and take most things said with a pinch of salt but despite various other GTFC messageboards popping up over the years, there isn't one anywhere near as busy as this one and Rob deserve a lot of credit for that.

It's also good as certain posters seem to know things that are going to happen even before the club does.  ;D

Long live The Fishy.
Posted by: barralad, February 7, 2017, 12:22pm; Reply: 26
When I joined The Fishy the first thread I clicked on was about the relative merits of Werthers toffees started by the late,great Icey. There were characters like Maccabilk who are much missed IMO but the bottom line is that The Fishy has always looked after its own. Bike to the Bank started on here. Seemingly the whole site rallied round one night to help a fellow fishyite who was experiencing dark times and as a direct result of posting on here I've met people that I'm proud to call friends.
Echo what Les says. Long Live The Fishy..
Posted by: moosey_club, February 7, 2017, 12:47pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from barralad
When I joined The Fishy the first thread I clicked on was about the relative merits of Werthers toffees started by the late,great Icey. There were characters like Maccabilk who are much missed IMO but the bottom line is that The Fishy has always looked after its own. Bike to the Bank started on here. Seemingly the whole site rallied round one night to help a fellow fishyite who was experiencing dark times and as a direct result of posting on here I've met people that I'm proud to call friends.
Echo what Les says. Long Live The Fishy..

The embryonic idea of Operation Promotion was from here as well.

I was in the ticket office last week getting my Luton tickets and saw MB in the office, i asked him if he had any news ahead of the game and he started to engage when the rest of the office piped up " it will end up on the fishy, say nothing...we dont like the fishy !! "  MB then walked off !!!  ;D
Posted by: ginnywings, February 7, 2017, 12:47pm; Reply: 28
Didn't the idea for Operation Promotion germinate on this here board? If nothing else, that is a great achievement.

Edit- Moosey beat me to it.
Posted by: wigworld, February 7, 2017, 12:53pm; Reply: 29
You must be twice as sensible as me, then Pete!  :P

Quoted from grimsby pete

I think the older posters on here are the sensible ones  ;)

Posted by: cmackenzie4, February 7, 2017, 1:02pm; Reply: 30
A great forum to be a member of, some great debates on the main fishy and non football forum, thanks to Rob for keeping it going, I've met a few posters on here and all are good people.
Posted by: Tommy, February 7, 2017, 1:08pm; Reply: 31
Agree with ginnywings, think some slag this forum off to be different. But I bet those people still log on here and read it anyway.

That facebook fans group is absolutely laughable and 90% of the posts in it are beyond a joke.
Twitter is a mix of the ridiculous and good common sense posts - but at least you choose which people to follow so if someone's constantly spouting rubbish you can just unfollow them.
Posted by: diehardmariner, February 7, 2017, 1:53pm; Reply: 32
This forum is no different to Twitter and the Facebook group, in that it's full of positive people, negative people and mass hysterical over-reactions.

The difference is the pace of the conversation.  On Twitter it's so fast that unless you're engaging in a conversation immediately after the game, it's gone.  Forgotten about by Sunday morning as something else has taken over, something totally unrelated to GTFC.

On here it's just focused on GTFC and football in general and come Monday morning the game from the weekend or the aftermath is still the hot topic of conversation.

The ability to converse your opinions on the subjects in more than 140 characters makes it a complete opposite to Twitter because you can be far more in depth and make a better attempt at getting your point across.

I like The Fishy and I like Twitter but I find sometimes this forum frustratingly goes off topic too easy whereas Twitter is just too fast and feels like people clawing to get have their opinion heard, rather than listening to what others are saying.    For me it's a good balance of both worlds.  Twitter for immediate reactions - Fishy for more detailed thoughts. Twitter is about what's happening right now, The Fishy is more like talking the events of the day/week over in the pub.
Posted by: VinnyGTFC, February 7, 2017, 2:32pm; Reply: 33
It's quite heavy of people who criticise people's opinion when they don't have a constructive alternative. There are some quite arrogant keyboard warriors. Which is a shame for those who want to discuss their club
Posted by: Cloudy, February 7, 2017, 2:32pm; Reply: 34
Out of the 10-15 people I attend games with only one other uses the fishy and then only as an observer. I don't think he has ever posted.
Most view it as vicious and full of crackpots, the majority of whom don't attend games very often.
Posted by: Chips44, February 7, 2017, 2:36pm; Reply: 35
I regularly go on other club's forums,usually the opposition before and after we play them.  One thing comes instantly to mind, they're all very similar,full of adverts,and, I assume ,a franchised format.Compared to The Fishy they are often difficult to find the thread you are looking for. I think The Fishy is a,one off,and a unique excellent forum.
Posted by: Chris Packit, February 7, 2017, 2:45pm; Reply: 36
Self-praise is no recommendation. Wouldn't it be better to ask those doing the laughing?
Posted by: moosey_club, February 7, 2017, 2:56pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Chris Packit
Self-praise is no recommendation. Wouldn't it be better to ask those doing the laughing?

Only if you want to learn something.....obliviously ignorant is my preferred position  :)
Posted by: lukeo, February 7, 2017, 3:45pm; Reply: 38
for me it's one of the busiest football forums around and although at times I've come off because it's either gone boring (close season) or theirs to many trolls (not felt this for a while) But overall 90% I think the fishy is good. It has its good sensible posters, some strange, random, the odd troll..
Posted by: geir, February 7, 2017, 3:56pm; Reply: 39
I agree with all the praise from people here! The Fishy is really special - one of the best forums around for any team.
Comparing this forum with the forum for my hometown club Rosenborg is not difficult, I would say that there may be longer threads on that other forum but due to the excellent and sometimes humourous posts on this forum - the Fishy is winning my attention every time. There is a reason why I am on that other forum once every year, and here almost every day.
This forum is a goldmine for a fan and I think the club may underestimate the positive value it has. Besides, when travelling to England to watch Grimsby, the people on this forum has been very helpful in replying to some of my silly questions and even in offering their assistance towards getting tickets and so on. Much appreciated!
Unfortunately, when contacting certain people in official positions at the club, I have experienced no reply at all. And before someone asks: NO - this has nothing to do with John Fenty. Actually, he sent me a very nice mail, without me asking for it a couple of years ago, so I have no reason to blame him whatsoever. He is an asset for this club and should be treated as such. Criticism is good, but only when it is fair.
Going back to my mail: maybe my questions or proposals were seen as irrelevant, but I still expect an answer. So if more people than me experiences this; then we go to the Fishy to get our answers or discuss our proposals. Sometimes it ends up with "Operation Promotion" and other helpful things for the club.
I hope Bignot, who seems to be very much aware of the fans, will be told that he should take a look around here. In my opinion he should welcome such passionate fans more than he is scared off. And I think he would like the banter around here most of the time.

Thank you for inviting me in and thank you to this forum for all the good times.
May this forum rule Britannia for decades to come! :-)

Up the Mariners!
Posted by: moosey_club, February 7, 2017, 4:01pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from geir
I agree with all the praise from people here! The Fishy is really special - one of the best forums around for any team.
Comparing this forum with the forum for my hometown club Rosenborg is not difficult, I would say that there may be longer threads on that other forum but due to the excellent and sometimes humourous posts on this forum - the Fishy is winning my attention every time. There is a reason why I am on that other forum once every year, and here almost every day.
This forum is a goldmine for a fan and I think the club may underestimate the positive value it has. Besides, when travelling to England to watch Grimsby, the people on this forum has been very helpful in replying to some of my silly questions and even in offering their assistance towards getting tickets and so on. Much appreciated!
Unfortunately, when contacting certain people in official positions at the club, I have experienced no reply at all. And before someone asks: NO - this has nothing to do with John Fenty. Actually, he sent me a very nice mail, without me asking for it a couple of years ago, so I have no reason to blame him whatsoever. He is an asset for this club and should be treated as such. Criticism is good, but only when it is fair.
Going back to my mail: maybe my questions or proposals were seen as irrelevant, but I still expect an answer. So if more people than me experiences this; then we go to the Fishy to get our answers or discuss our proposals. Sometimes it ends up with "Operation Promotion" and other helpful things for the club.
I hope Bignot, who seems to be very much aware of the fans, will be told that he should take a look around here. In my opinion he should welcome such passionate fans more than he is scared off. And I think he would like the banter around here most of the time.

Thank you for inviting me in and thank you to this forum for all the good times.
May this forum rule Britannia for decades to come! :-)

Up the Mariners!

The sooner we are out of Europe and can ban European community posters writing sensible, happy posts like this the better  :P
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 7, 2017, 4:16pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from VinnyGTFC
It's quite heavy of people who criticise people's opinion when they don't have a constructive alternative. There are some quite arrogant keyboard warriors. Which is a shame for those who want to discuss their club

There are certainly some "popular trends" on here and going against popular opinion is not always welcomed by some.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 7, 2017, 4:33pm; Reply: 42
One thing I notice is there are a lot of exiles like me who find the Fishy a reminder of our home town club. When I was a student my mother used to send me Matt's exploits in the Saturday Telegraph and that was the best we could do in those days. There was no interaction and no way even to even put a point of view because the Telewag didn't do sports letters.

So personally I am very grateful for the Fishy and, like most things Fishy, I am happy to take it with a pinch of salt where necessary. :)
Posted by: Hagrid, February 7, 2017, 4:56pm; Reply: 43
i love posting on here and reading the various debates, think theres some excellent posters and some not so good ones.. but all at the end of the day we love GTFC. Fishy means town is 24/7 not just a saturday afternoon

Havent met anyone off this site bar one gentleman who sits behind me at the games who is a genuine friendly bloke and we often start our discussions talking about this site

i also find it fascinating reading the thoughts of the older posters who talk about years gone by with such fondness for our club
Posted by: lukeo, February 7, 2017, 6:52pm; Reply: 44
Moosey you keyboard warrior  ;D
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 7, 2017, 8:55pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Chips44
I regularly go on other club's forums,usually the opposition before and after we play them.  One thing comes instantly to mind, they're all very similar,full of adverts,and, I assume ,a franchised format.Compared to The Fishy they are often difficult to find the thread you are looking for. I think The Fishy is a,one off,and a unique excellent forum.

I agree. What I've seen of other forums (not that many to be honest) is that the format is often messy and full of distracting adverts and poor background colour. The Fishy is pretty clear and easy to read. Well done to Rob for that.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 7, 2017, 9:05pm; Reply: 46
Whilst it's got its share of people I disagree with and daft comments and its irritations, I wouldn't change the Fishy. I don't do Twitter bar lurking at the odd post so can't comment. Same with Facebook.

I've noticed a certain sniffiness on the Codalmighty and the Codpod about the Fishy. Whilst I like both of them, when they look down their noses at the Fishy it makes me realise why people get drunk off with 'student types' who are up themselves banging on about people who are 'meta-football' and generally 'doing it wrong'.

So more power to the Fishy. Warts and all.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, February 7, 2017, 9:26pm; Reply: 47
The fishy seems to be read by most of GTFC lol
Posted by: LH, February 7, 2017, 9:31pm; Reply: 48
How do you know it's excrement if you claim you don't read it?
Posted by: toontown, February 7, 2017, 9:34pm; Reply: 49
Yeah credit to Rob, i often find other forums far less readable.  The fishy does seem to over-react to each individual result but i guess that is pretty natural, i think its a great website and i really enjoy reading it, its intersting but it also makes me laugh out loud sometimes - thanks everyone for making it what it is!
Posted by: Brisbane Mariner, February 7, 2017, 9:59pm; Reply: 50
For mine I really like the Fishy as it keeps me close to my club and the news that I cant get from other sources - I say news but obviously you have the sift the wheat from the chaff but in general we have great posts and discussions. There are some that wish to spoil it but they're everywhere! As someone who cant get to games regularly I say well Rob and well done Fishy mates! 8) 8)
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 7, 2017, 10:07pm; Reply: 51
The Fishy allows fans of differing opinions to voice them. It lets us let off steam after a sh!t game. It lets us make friends and it even (on occasions) gives us access to the Chairman/GYFR/Major Shareholder.

For that, Rob deserves massive credit. The only issue I have is when the powers that be wanted to censor. The Fishy, in order to maintain its' integrity must and should retain its' independence.

Power to the fans of GTFC - you are (most of you anyway), the best fans in the country, Long live The Fishy!
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 7, 2017, 10:22pm; Reply: 52
Living in Suffolk and not in the best of health lately the Fishy tells me all I need to know about what is going on at my club,

I love the banter although there does not seem as much of it on here lately,

BUT

Some of the threads make me laugh out loud and cheers me up no end,

Long live the Fishy.
Posted by: Rick12, February 7, 2017, 10:38pm; Reply: 53
Fishy for me is a great site.Yes there are a few trolls but overall really like it.Comes across as the heartbeat of the club eg place to read what fans are thinking

Iam sure players and managers read it as well
Posted by: Caesar, February 8, 2017, 9:08am; Reply: 54
I think the reason the Fishy can get laughed at is that there are some ridiculous posts and sadly we respond to ridiculous posts as they get our emotions reacting while sensible well reasoned posts we nod or agree too and then forget about.  

All formats do it too though, on Twitter there is a poster called Ian Melladay whose profile describes him as "once a red always a red" He was tweeting about how useless Bignot was at half time against Carlisle when we had actually had a fairly decent first half and been unlucky to be 1-0 down.  His tweets get commented on by people like Matt Dannat and Cod Almighty because they are plainly daft and make people react. The people responding with more reasoned arguments get overlooked, we know we should ignore trolls but it is just that instinct that is so hard to fight.

So from the outside looking in people will see the posts after the Stevenage game when I think there were 2 threads that were later merged calling for Bignot to go, and lots of hysterical posts about just how bad it was (For the record it was truly awful imo) and laugh at the reactions, without necessarily reading the responses. If you add in the fact that people already have the impression that the Fishy is full of crackpots you go on and see overreactions and that simply confirms that they are right in their view, no need to look any further.  

After a few years of this kind of process whereby people think the fishy is bonkers, see a post that confirms it and ignore everything else and it kind of becomes a shorthand for bonkers, that at least is my thesis on why the Fishy gets laughed at.  

I have actually found myself using the fishy and posting less recently but still think it is a great forum to be honest.  I have met a couple of people on here for travel to Town games and people have been eager to help me.  Have met others just on general away days and always been able to have a good chat and laugh.  Most of the discussions are either interesting or genuinely funny, and those who laugh at it should engage really as others have said, this is a place where many people who share the same obsessions share their thoughts about that obsession, if you are obsessed enough to read it then engage and discuss, and if you think trolls are taking over, come on here and post more stuff and take back control from the trolls.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 8, 2017, 11:30am; Reply: 55
Quoted from lukeo
Moosey you keyboard warrior  ;D

Thats me. Luckily for you as i never leave the house i wont be able to smash your face in for pointing that out.  :P

Posted by: 97 (Guest), February 8, 2017, 11:37am; Reply: 56
[quote=39007 on Twitter there is a poster called Ian Melladay whose profile describes him as "once a red always a red" He was tweeting about how useless Bignot was at half time against Carlisle when we had actually had a fairly decent first half and been unlucky to be 1-0 down.  His tweets get commented on by people like Matt Dannat and Cod Almighty because they are plainly daft and make people react.[/quote]

Guilty of this. He's an absolute whopper though.

Posted by: Civvy at last, February 8, 2017, 12:20pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from moosey_club

Thats me. Luckily for you as i never leave the house i wont be able to smash your face in for pointing that out.  :P

You can do far more damage though moosey.
You can relentlessly Red Cross his posts. Causing sleepless nights and psychological damage beyond relief  ;D
Posted by: moosey_club, February 8, 2017, 12:54pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from Civvy at last

You can do far more damage though moosey.
You can relentlessly Red Cross his posts. Causing sleepless nights and psychological damage beyond relief  ;D

oooohhhhhhhh.... (spiteful)

No... not my style....i believe that all are entitled to an opinion and a forum on which to express them so regardless of how stupid some of them are i do not believe they should be marked down for expressing themselves ..
i also believe that children are our future and if we teach them they can lead the way,
i believe  that for every drop of rain that falls ...a flower grows,
i believe i can fly ( if i get on a plane),
i believe in a thing called love..
and that love is in all our hearts and can be spread through appreciation and acceptance of each others views and opinions  and if we all did that this world would be a better place.

Love and peace to all posters *  

* i reserve the right to change my opinion if someone posts something totally fking stupid.
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 8, 2017, 12:58pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from moosey_club

oooohhhhhhhh.... (spiteful)

No... not my style....i believe that all are entitled to an opinion and a forum on which to express them so regardless of how stupid some of them are i do not believe they should be marked down for expressing themselves ..
i also believe that children are our future and if we teach them they can lead the way,
i believe  that for every drop of rain that falls ...a flower grows,
i believe i can fly ( if i get on a plane),
i believe in a thing called love..
and that love is in all our hearts and can be spread through appreciation and acceptance of each others views and opinions  and if we all did that this world would be a better place.

Love and peace to all posters *  

* i reserve the right to change my opinion if someone posts something totally fking stupid.

I  ;)

Posted by: Marinerz93, February 8, 2017, 7:57pm; Reply: 60
I wouldn't say people laugh at the fishy, I would say they sneer, and the sneer they give is weighted with jealousy. This is one of the most busiest forums around, and has a great mix of people which have differing views.

There are great debates on here and like other boards you get the odd slanging match. What is more evident on here than other boards is the passion and fighting spirit we have.

I wouldn't change one poster on here even if I don't agree with them. We together make this the envy of those who hold their manhood cheap.

Sometimes the fishy is too clever for those who use face friends and twatter  ;)
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 9:42am