Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Why does the fishy get laughed at ..
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 24 Guests

Why does the fishy get laughed at ..

This thread currently has 11,506 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
cmackenzie4
February 7, 2017, 1:02pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
A great forum to be a member of, some great debates on the main fishy and non football forum, thanks to Rob for keeping it going, I've met a few posters on here and all are good people.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 60
Tommy
February 7, 2017, 1:08pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Agree with ginnywings, think some slag this forum off to be different. But I bet those people still log on here and read it anyway.

That facebook fans group is absolutely laughable and 90% of the posts in it are beyond a joke.
Twitter is a mix of the ridiculous and good common sense posts - but at least you choose which people to follow so if someone's constantly spouting rubbish you can just unfollow them.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 60
diehardmariner
February 7, 2017, 1:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,410
Gold Stars: 532
This forum is no different to Twitter and the Facebook group, in that it's full of positive people, negative people and mass hysterical over-reactions.

The difference is the pace of the conversation.  On Twitter it's so fast that unless you're engaging in a conversation immediately after the game, it's gone.  Forgotten about by Sunday morning as something else has taken over, something totally unrelated to GTFC.

On here it's just focused on GTFC and football in general and come Monday morning the game from the weekend or the aftermath is still the hot topic of conversation.

The ability to converse your opinions on the subjects in more than 140 characters makes it a complete opposite to Twitter because you can be far more in depth and make a better attempt at getting your point across.

I like The Fishy and I like Twitter but I find sometimes this forum frustratingly goes off topic too easy whereas Twitter is just too fast and feels like people clawing to get have their opinion heard, rather than listening to what others are saying.    For me it's a good balance of both worlds.  Twitter for immediate reactions - Fishy for more detailed thoughts. Twitter is about what's happening right now, The Fishy is more like talking the events of the day/week over in the pub.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 60
VinnyGTFC
February 7, 2017, 2:32pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +125
Gold Stars: 20
It's quite heavy of people who criticise people's opinion when they don't have a constructive alternative. There are some quite arrogant keyboard warriors. Which is a shame for those who want to discuss their club
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 60
Cloudy
February 7, 2017, 2:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Out of the 10-15 people I attend games with only one other uses the fishy and then only as an observer. I don't think he has ever posted.
Most view it as vicious and full of crackpots, the majority of whom don't attend games very often.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 60
Chips44
February 7, 2017, 2:36pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +127
I regularly go on other club's forums,usually the opposition before and after we play them.  One thing comes instantly to mind, they're all very similar,full of adverts,and, I assume ,a franchised format.Compared to The Fishy they are often difficult to find the thread you are looking for. I think The Fishy is a,one off,and a unique excellent forum.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 60
Chris Packit
February 7, 2017, 2:45pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -143
Self-praise is no recommendation. Wouldn't it be better to ask those doing the laughing?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 60
moosey_club
February 7, 2017, 2:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,202
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from Chris Packit
Self-praise is no recommendation. Wouldn't it be better to ask those doing the laughing?

Only if you want to learn something.....obliviously ignorant is my preferred position  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 60
lukeo
February 7, 2017, 3:45pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,328
Gold Stars: 140
for me it's one of the busiest football forums around and although at times I've come off because it's either gone boring (close season) or theirs to many trolls (not felt this for a while) But overall 90% I think the fishy is good. It has its good sensible posters, some strange, random, the odd troll..
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 60
geir
February 7, 2017, 3:56pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9
I agree with all the praise from people here! The Fishy is really special - one of the best forums around for any team.
Comparing this forum with the forum for my hometown club Rosenborg is not difficult, I would say that there may be longer threads on that other forum but due to the excellent and sometimes humourous posts on this forum - the Fishy is winning my attention every time. There is a reason why I am on that other forum once every year, and here almost every day.
This forum is a goldmine for a fan and I think the club may underestimate the positive value it has. Besides, when travelling to England to watch Grimsby, the people on this forum has been very helpful in replying to some of my silly questions and even in offering their assistance towards getting tickets and so on. Much appreciated!
Unfortunately, when contacting certain people in official positions at the club, I have experienced no reply at all. And before someone asks: NO - this has nothing to do with John Fenty. Actually, he sent me a very nice mail, without me asking for it a couple of years ago, so I have no reason to blame him whatsoever. He is an asset for this club and should be treated as such. Criticism is good, but only when it is fair.
Going back to my mail: maybe my questions or proposals were seen as irrelevant, but I still expect an answer. So if more people than me experiences this; then we go to the Fishy to get our answers or discuss our proposals. Sometimes it ends up with "Operation Promotion" and other helpful things for the club.
I hope Bignot, who seems to be very much aware of the fans, will be told that he should take a look around here. In my opinion he should welcome such passionate fans more than he is scared off. And I think he would like the banter around here most of the time.

Thank you for inviting me in and thank you to this forum for all the good times.
May this forum rule Britannia for decades to come!

Up the Mariners!

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Why does the fishy get laughed at ..

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.