Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Paul Hurst on becoming Shrewsbury boss
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 22 Guests

Paul Hurst on becoming Shrewsbury boss

This thread currently has 17,073 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Rick12
October 24, 2016, 6:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from headingly_mariner

After being tapped up by who?
True

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 77
stevethefish
October 24, 2016, 6:04pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +773
Gold Stars: 66
After it all happening over the last 4 days.... I think it's the best solution all around.

Paul did a good job for us and I will be sad to see him go...nearly 6 years is enough though.

Sounds like we have got our compensation.

Shrewsbury whether we like it or not, have invested in infrastructure - your work surroundings are important to breed success (I know working in a company that doesn't!) and they are a league above... So it's progression for him.  

Wish him luck and now our chance to push on for the future.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 77
Mariner55
October 24, 2016, 6:13pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +237
Wouldn't have hurt Hurst to acknowledge and thank the fans.  I think he allowed himself to be influenced too much by a small number of people in the Main Stand.  What about the amazing away support?  Doubt he'll experience that at Shrewsbury: bet there won't be 1,200 of them at Southend on Saturday singing Paul Hurst's Blue and whatever colour it is army.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 77
stevethefish
October 24, 2016, 6:16pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +773
Gold Stars: 66
I 100% agree with you Mariner55.

He should have left today And said goodbye and started at Shrewsbury tomorrow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 77
grimps
October 24, 2016, 6:48pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,994
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Mariner55
Wouldn't have hurt Hurst to acknowledge and thank the fans.  I think he allowed himself to be influenced too much by a small number of people in the Main Stand.  What about the amazing away support?  Doubt he'll experience that at Shrewsbury: bet there won't be 1,200 of them at Southend on Saturday singing Paul Hurst's Blue and whatever colour it is army.  

I was just about to type the same thing , 5 years here and supported all over the country by our excellent fans and he couldn't even say thanks for the memories.
A few whingers have got to him over the years and that was when we was winning most weeks , god knows how he'll flap under the pressure of a relegation battle, fortunately Shrewsbury haven't got many fans so it might not be too be for him  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 77
chipsandgravy
October 24, 2016, 6:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +3,538
Gold Stars: 34
It happens in every walk of life. People go to other jobs because of a variety of reasons - football is no different. Hurst probably needed a new challenge and maybe the last five years sucked the life out of him. Personally it sucked the life out of me watching it.
The wholesale changes of the team at the start of the season was to me his way of giving himself a new challenge but it now looks like it wasn't enough. This season he seemed far more relaxed and on the money is his assessment of games but ultimately whether he felt under-resourced or not totally appreciated or just needed a new motivation we will probably never know.
I am disappointed he has gone but will always be thankful he got us out of that god awful league.
The one big thing for me was the way it all unravelled. Not one person comes out of the saga with any credit at all and was a most unedifying few days I can remember. It only serves to remind me that the fans are well down the pecking order when it comes to gaining a little respect. Two fingers were well and truly shown to us by all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 77
chaos33
October 24, 2016, 6:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
They get 5000 at home and they'll expect a bit better than he's managed in home games this season at Town. If Hurst thinks they're not going to give him stick if he fails to deliver, then he's got a shock coming. Mind you, I guess he can always send out Doig if the going gets tough or some local journalist asks him a remotely challenging question. Shrewsbury will need better because they are 6 points adrift and in need of a big turnaround. I can't see flakey/flukey1-0 away win tactics being enough to save them so some fresh ideas are needed. Better get on that 3G pitch and have a word with the strengthening and conditioning coach then.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 77
RoboCod
October 24, 2016, 7:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
-13 goal difference is pretty horrific and will take some turning around.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 77
Ipswin
October 24, 2016, 7:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
I still can't believe he has gone there to be honest. I just don't see it at all with Rotherham, Sheff U et al inevitably coming vacant in the future when he has more than a dozen games in the Football League under his belt but Shrewsbury? What the fuk for?

Don't misunderstand I am not sorry to see him go I didn't particularly rate him (we scraped back into the league last season by the skin of our teeth, something he should have achieved much earlier if he was that good) but I feel strangely insulted that any manager (however small) should choose to leave Grimsby Town for bleedin' Shrewsbury FFS.

Perhaps that wave and applause to the fans at Cambridge was a goodbye rather than an acknowledgement of that constant chant about 'Paul Hurst's Black and White Army' which totally silenced the home lot

Wayne Burnett for me - none of the bigger names will want to know us and he did OK with a sh!te situation at Dagenham and actually has more league experience than Hurst. Don't know what he's been doing since 2015 tho'

I'd also welcome Groves back with open arms I think he's at Bristol City at the moment

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 77
October 24, 2016, 7:15pm
Guest User
Quoted from Ipswin

Wayne Burnett for me - none of the bigger names will want to know us and he did OK with a sh!te situation at Dagenham and actually has more league experience than Hurst. Don't know what he's been doing since 2015 tho'

I'd also welcome Groves back with open arms I think he's at Bristol City at the moment

Appointing managers on sentiment is a part of the reason why we had that spell in the conference. Don't forget that Burnett assembled a squad in which got relagated to the conference. We all have opinions but experience of managing a successful team is a must in my opinion. Time will tell...
Reply: 59 - 77
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Paul Hurst on becoming Shrewsbury boss

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.