Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › What's your taste in music then?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 19 Guests

What's your taste in music then?

This thread currently has 84,799 views. Print
98 Pages Prev ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 Next All Recommend Thread
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 7, 2023, 2:57pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,301
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from Les Brechin

I remember hearing Dignity when it first came out and when I saw they were releasing "Raintown" I tried everywhere in Grimsby to find it but couldn't. In the end I got my brother to get it for me from Tower Records in London where he lives. One of my favourite bands too.

If we're doing 'all our yesteryears'....

I saw them at Trent Poly just before Raintown came out, they were excellent.

Then went to see them at the Concert Hall in Nottm maybe 5 years later and Ricky Ross says:

Nottingham holds a special place in our hearts. Just before Raintown came out we were struggling and seriously thinking about breaking up. But we played at the Poly and had a great night, it was the first time a crowd really responded to us and we decided to keep going. If you were in that crowd at the Poly, thank you.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 930 - 977
Chalky
November 7, 2023, 4:04pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +518
Gold Stars: 21
Deacon Blue are a hugely underrated band considering how good their albums are,Ricky’s vocals are superb but Lorraine’s are on a different level if you ask me,I’ve got all their albums except the latest boxset which has a bonus disc included with their previous albums so basically I would be shelling out seventy notes for one album,love their acoustic version of Dancing In The Dark from it,Twist and Shout and When Will You Make My Telephone Ring never get boring to me

Dignity is and always be a crowd pleaser and it’s not unusual for the crowd to join in (right from the start if you are lucky)

You from Nottingham DCT,I’m presuming not?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 931 - 977
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 7, 2023, 5:47pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Chalky
Deacon Blue are a hugely underrated band considering how good their albums are,Ricky’s vocals are superb but Lorraine’s are on a different level if you ask me,I’ve got all their albums except the latest boxset which has a bonus disc included with their previous albums so basically I would be shelling out seventy notes for one album,love their acoustic version of Dancing In The Dark from it,Twist and Shout and When Will You Make My Telephone Ring never get boring to me

Dignity is and always be a crowd pleaser and it’s not unusual for the crowd to join in (right from the start if you are lucky)

You from Nottingham DCT,I’m presuming not?

Nope, Grimsby born and bred but went to Trent and lived in Nottingham for about 15 years in total - loved the place. I live down south now.

I love live music and have seen 100s of bands live...if I'm ever asked what the best venues are I always mention Rock City, it's a brilliant place to see a band. Haven't they just changed the name of it?

I saw a lot of bands at the Trent Poly Union on Shakespeare St as well. Bought all my records from Selectadisc.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 932 - 977
Rick12
November 7, 2023, 6:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45

I love live music and have seen 100s of bands live...if I'm ever asked what the best venues are I always mention Rock City, it's a brilliant place to see a band. Haven't they just changed the name of it?

A band I love and have seen live is Ocean Colour scene. Some of their music for me is top draw  and were excellent live. All the crowd singing in unison with the group on one  of their songs  " profit in peace "will stay with me forever " we don't want to fight no more ".

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 933 - 977
Chalky
November 7, 2023, 7:38pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +518
Gold Stars: 21

M

I saw a lot of bands at the Trent Poly Union on Shakespeare St as well. Bought all my records from Selectadisc.

Rock City is still Rock City unless they’ve changed their name very recently and as you say it’s a brilliant venue for live bands,Selectadisc was one of the best record shops in Nottingham back in the day ,it was run by a Notts fan who did a fanzine that got sold at home games
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 934 - 977
cmackenzie4
November 7, 2023, 7:47pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.24
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Listening to them Deacon Blue tracks took me right back, I had some great times back then, great music and happy memories, it’s amazing how music can take you back to periods in your life.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 935 - 977
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 8, 2023, 9:15am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Rick12
A band I love and have seen live is Ocean Colour scene. Some of their music for me is top draw  and were excellent live. All the crowd singing in unison with the group on one  of their songs will stay with me forever " we don't want to fight no more ".

I've got Moseley Shoals somewhere on CD (it might even be a cassette!). I wasn't a huge OCS fan, I went for the more leftfield bands in Britpop like Kula Shaker, Gene, Shed 7, Charlatans and Echobelly. The whole Oasis v Blur thing bored me.

But not knocking OCS, they were (are?) good.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 936 - 977
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 8, 2023, 9:20am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Chalky

Rock City is still Rock City unless they’ve changed their name very recently and as you say it’s a brilliant venue for live bands,Selectadisc was one of the best record shops in Nottingham back in the day ,it was run by a Notts fan who did a fanzine that got sold at home games

The best gig I've ever been to was at Rock City. I bought tickets to see The Waterboys and between buying the tickets and the gig Whole of the Moon went into the charts.

The place was packed, there was sweat dripping off the walls and the band were amazing. It was an epic night.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 937 - 977
Sandford1981
November 8, 2023, 11:52am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Rick12
A band I love and have seen live is Ocean Colour scene. Some of their music for me is top draw  and were excellent live. All the crowd singing in unison with the group on one  of their songs  " profit in peace "will stay with me forever " we don't want to fight no more ".

I love OCS too but I rate their lesser known songs more than their crowd pleasers.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 938 - 977
Sandford1981
November 8, 2023, 11:52am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 939 - 977
98 Pages Prev ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › What's your taste in music then?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.