Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Should this be Fenty's last season to get us up.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 287 Guests

Should this be Fenty's last season to get us up.

This thread currently has 8,327 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
BIGChris
June 1, 2015, 6:29am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
I THINK with FGR the money Vince puts in is via Sponsorship and donations opposed to loans. It's probably to reduce the tax liability on Ecocity or whatever his company is called?
I therefore think that despite FGR paying out huge wages I'd be surprised if they have any debt

The above is purely guesswork
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 58
Maringer
June 1, 2015, 7:18am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
And Ecotricity only makes money due to the green energy subsidies received from the government. Fundamentally, the taxpayer is funding FGR!

(All other forms of energy production receive subsidies from the government as well, however).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 58
rancido
June 1, 2015, 4:08pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from headingly_mariner

GTFC is not a hotel. Getting back into the football league was said to be worth a 1million, the added costs of being in the league make it unlikely that the £3 million would be recouped without great success.
The club is not a good prospect outside of the football league, I'm not even sure it would be a good prospect in the league.

I know GTFC isn't a hotel but it is a business and if run as such with a sound business plan then there is no reason why it can't be successful. I used the hotel as an example but there have been many cases of other businesses being sold for very small amounts but carrying the debts on to the new owner.
The analogy with a hotel isn't as ridiculous as you imply. Both depend on customers coming through the door and trying to ensure they keep coming. Overheads can be extremely large and you have to compete with other similar establishments. Once a hotel loses it's trade and gets a bad name then it is extremely difficult to entice the customers back ( sound familiar ? )

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 58
Rodley Mariner
June 1, 2015, 4:22pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from rancido

I know GTFC isn't a hotel but it is a business and if run as such with a sound business plan then there is no reason why it can't be successful. I used the hotel as an example but there have been many cases of other businesses being sold for very small amounts but carrying the debts on to the new owner.
The analogy with a hotel isn't as ridiculous as you imply. Both depend on customers coming through the door and trying to ensure they keep coming. Overheads can be extremely large and you have to compete with other similar establishments. Once a hotel loses it's trade and gets a bad name then it is extremely difficult to entice the customers back ( sound familiar ? )

Without wanting to get bogged down in this when things are very positive, if it was as easy as you make it sound then how have we ended up in the Conference with £3m debts? How long realistically do you think it might take for somebody to make £3m from owning GTFC? Unless it is a very wealthy benefactor then who on earth would take on that level of debt to own the club?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 58
Southwark Mariner
June 1, 2015, 4:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 82
re: does GTFC have any other debt than JF's £2m? yes there's a small amount borrowed from the bank but nothing to worry about I don't think. £338,000 still remaining at the end of 2014 acounts that we're repaying £50,000 each year. We've also finished contributing to JF's pension pot.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 58
rancido
June 1, 2015, 4:41pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

Without wanting to get bogged down in this when things are very positive, if it was as easy as you make it sound then how have we ended up in the Conference with £3m debts? How long realistically do you think it might take for somebody to make £3m from owning GTFC? Unless it is a very wealthy benefactor then who on earth would take on that level of debt to own the club?

I'm not saying it is easy. If you follow all my comments then you will notice that I suggested that £3 million for a football club with the potential we could have is not such a large amount in the business world.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 58
Rodley Mariner
June 1, 2015, 5:12pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from rancido

I'm not saying it is easy. If you follow all my comments then you will notice that I suggested that £3 million for a football club with the potential we could have is not such a large amount in the business world.

I think it's an absolutely huge amount for a 'business' who have been making loss after loss in an industry where all but a few do exactly the same. Throw into the mix that we have very few assets and we are desperately in need of new 'premises' which it has been impossible to secure for more than 20 years and it doesn't sound that great a proposition to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 58
Yoda
June 1, 2015, 5:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,161
Gold Stars: 71
The most Mr Fenty will ever get for the club is 1 pound and the new owner taking over the debts.

I think Fenty is hanging on for the new stadium to be built there could be some opportunity to make some money off surrounding developments with his construction company.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 58
TAGG
June 1, 2015, 10:31pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from wembley_double98
If this football club was John's sole business, he would be bankrupt and on the streets.
Fortunately, he is a successful business man in other ventures and due to his passion for
GTFC he has stood to the challenge of a resurrection to the football league, lets hope it will be next season.
He has been man enough to admit his mistakes and thrown down 'the Gauntlet' for perspective buyers to
come forward, not many takers there..
For the first time in many years there seems to be a togetherness and belief amongst the fans and players.
He is a massive Town fan, get behind him.

...no, I am not John!

UTM!

Well John you turned Town from a very good league club into a 6 season non league team with your ineptitude at running this club.
You should stick your hand in your pocket (the club have no money because of the debt that's built up under your watch) and give the manager by far the best budget in this excrement league to give Town the best chance of promotion.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Should this be Fenty's last season to get us up.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.