Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Should this be Fenty's last season to get us up.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 231 Guests

Should this be Fenty's last season to get us up.

This thread currently has 8,315 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
fleabag1970
May 31, 2015, 2:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
Quoted from chaos33
He's worse than you!  

Back handed compliment but ill take it .......

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 58
rancido
May 31, 2015, 3:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Now I'm not sure this is a healthy thing to debate now as the playing side of the club is the most positive it has been in years but how could anyone be expected to pay 3 million for the club? It is club in the conference that operates at a large loss. The state it is in if someone with money to put in wants to take it over it should go for a token fee and the loans be written off to allow the club to progress.

The club is currently in a position were it is loaned money to operate each season, sadly the budget has not quite been big enough to get us up over the last few seasons. Since we have been in this league we have seen clubs with ambitious budgets generally promoted, I'm thinking of Fleetwood, Crawley and Mansfield, it may be cautiousness, lack of ambition or funds but we haven't really had a big go at the title since we've been in this league.
If the loans are to be paid back when the club is successful surely this must be as a league club? And surely the best way to do that is with a more ambitious budget?

Personally I was pleased with the squad last year and thought it would see us into the play offs, but I genuinely think that the benign loans remove the chance of anyone taking the club on. Nobody is going to pay 3 million for the club and then have to pump the funds in to make it right.

There have been many instances where businesses have been sold for a nominal amount but the buyer takes on the debts. I was living in Torbay in the late 70's and one of the biggest hotels in Torquay was sold for  £1 but the buyer took on debts of £1 million pounds. JF has come in for a lot of criticism on how he has run the club ( some justified but also some with no basis whatsoever ). Surely then it follows that somebody with a better business mind or a fresh input could make the club successful again. On that basis then a club with the " potential " to get back into the league and with a realistic fanbase of 4,000 to 5,000 could be a good prospect to take on for approx. £3 million.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 58
Marinerz93
May 31, 2015, 4:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from rancido

There have been many instances where businesses have been sold for a nominal amount but the buyer takes on the debts. I was living in Torbay in the late 70's and one of the biggest hotels in Torquay was sold for  £1 but the buyer took on debts of £1 million pounds. JF has come in for a lot of criticism on how he has run the club ( some justified but also some with no basis whatsoever ). Surely then it follows that somebody with a better business mind or a fresh input could make the club successful again. On that basis then a club with the " potential " to get back into the league and with a realistic fanbase of 4,000 to 5,000 could be a good prospect to take on for approx. £3 million.

We really need to stop going over how JF has run this club, the nominal amount of money will always be debateable. The stumbling block from what I was told many moons ago was apart from a grossly inflated sale price, JF and PF at the time to become life long directors.  So as you see, it's not just about the money, it could also be about level of involvement.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 58
KingstonMariner
May 31, 2015, 4:54pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from MuddyWaters

But this is the point. Let's say operation promotion (the Trust initiative) raises £100,000 (1000 x £100) and improved season ticket sales raise another £60,000, that sort of increase in budget pays a decent salary to 4 extra players. Having re-signed the majority of the squad that came so close, we are giving ourselves a real fighting chance without costing the board (Fenty) a penny. That said, there's also the prospect of increased gate money if we start well - extra 300 per home game is worth approx £5k a game.

Off the extra (season) ticket sales you'd have to take 1/6 in VAT and possibly also off the Op.Promo money, depending on how the money ends up in the club's coffers. Then you've got employer's costs such as NI and pension contributions. That £160k could soon drop to not much more than £100k. Judging by the sums being bandied around what FGR are paying that won't be much more than one good striker.

Worth having, but it won't affect the size of the squad much.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 58
headingly_mariner
May 31, 2015, 6:07pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,317
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from rancido

GTFC is not a hotel. Getting back into the football league was said to be worth a 1million, the added costs of being in the league make it unlikely that the £3 million would be recouped without great success.
The club is not a good prospect outside of the football league, I'm not even sure it would be a good prospect in the league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 58
barralad
May 31, 2015, 10:37pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,268
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Off the extra (season) ticket sales you'd have to take 1/6 in VAT and possibly also off the Op.Promo money, depending on how the money ends up in the club's coffers. Then you've got employer's costs such as NI and pension contributions. That £160k could soon drop to not much more than £100k. Judging by the sums being bandied around what FGR are paying that won't be much more than one good striker.

Worth having, but it won't affect the size of the squad much.

Isn't VAT 20% (rhetorical question-I've just sorted out the latest Trust VAT liability). I'm not sure why VAT would come into Operation Promotion though  

Incidentally if I was an FGR fan I'd be getting a bit worried. We talk about John Fenty's (financial) commitment but they must be living on a knife edge of him deciding he's had enough-there or thereabouts for a couple of years, less than 1000 home gates...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 58
barralad
May 31, 2015, 10:39pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from headingly_mariner

GTFC is not a hotel. Getting back into the football league was said to be worth a 1million, the added costs of being in the league make it unlikely that the £3 million would be recouped without great success.
The club is not a good prospect outside of the football league, I'm not even sure it would be a good prospect in the league.

I feel as though I ought to know the answer to this but I don't...Do we owe any other sizeable sums of money other than J.Fs £3m?

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 58
KingstonMariner
May 31, 2015, 11:04pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from barralad

Isn't VAT 20% (rhetorical question-I've just sorted out the latest Trust VAT liability). I'm not sure why VAT would come into Operation Promotion though  

Incidentally if I was an FGR fan I'd be getting a bit worried. We talk about John Fenty's (financial) commitment but they must be living on a knife edge of him deciding he's had enough-there or thereabouts for a couple of years, less than 1000 home gates...

It is 20%. So if a ticket is £12 inc VAT then it's £10 excluding VAT, 20% of which is £2. i.e. 1/6 of the total price. Presumably the same applies to any extra revenue, not just tickets.

Are there no financial fair play rules in the Conference?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 58
headingly_mariner
May 31, 2015, 11:13pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,317
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from barralad

I feel as though I ought to know the answer to this but I don't...Do we owe any other sizeable sums of money other than J.Fs £3m?

I don't believe the club owes anyone else any substantial amounts.
I suppose it can be a blessing and a curse, I blessing in that the only person the club owes enough to put the club in trouble is the one person that would lose the most. A curse because it stops anyone else taking the club on or putting any money in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 58
barralad
June 1, 2015, 12:05am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from KingstonMariner

It is 20%. So if a ticket is £12 inc VAT then it's £10 excluding VAT, 20% of which is £2. i.e. 1/6 of the total price. Presumably the same applies to any extra revenue, not just tickets.

Are there no financial fair play rules in the Conference?

Oh yeah...(It's very late!!)

For VAT to be added I'm pretty sure you have to be selling something which with the Operation Promotion thing we won't be! (Disclaimer:- VAT is weird so I could be way off the mark)

Dunno about FFP but they seem to be spending a lot of money on not very large resources i.e. gate monies etc.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Should this be Fenty's last season to get us up.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.