5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
fiveallive
May 18, 2015, 4:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
There a lot armchair Prem fans who watch on the telly instead of supporting their home town club which is up to them, back in the 05/06 season we were in the top 3 of League 2 all season and struggled to get 6,000 back then and the tickets where cheaper back then aswell so alot of people will not pay to watch us play Braintree, Dover etc. Plus we have always struggled against the relegation teams of the division since we have been in Non-League the likes of a Southport, Nuneaton.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 40
Tangerine Chris
May 18, 2015, 4:36pm
Old git with a sense of humour
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: -24
Funny that, because 7 days ago he said this:

PAUL Hurst says there won't be many changes at Blundell Park this summer – whatever the result at Wembley.

Read more: http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.....y.html#ixzz3aVMXXfeQ
Follow us: @GrimsbyTel on Twitter | grimsbytel on Facebook

seems to have changed his mind a bit quick

IF YOU PLAY FOR THE BADGE ON THE FRONT OF YOUR SHIRT
THEY WILL REMEMBER THE NAME ON THE BACK OF IT

You can change your wife, your house, your car, but you can never change your team.
Chairmen come and go, boards come and go, but the fans remain.
They are the one true constant

Eddie Thompson OBE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 40
GiveUsAG
May 18, 2015, 4:43pm

Neither above nor beneath
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +530
Quoted from Tangerine Chris
Funny that, because 7 days ago he said this:

PAUL Hurst says there won't be many changes at Blundell Park this summer – whatever the result at Wembley.

Read more: http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.....y.html#ixzz3aVMXXfeQ
Follow us: @GrimsbyTel on Twitter | grimsbytel on Facebook

seems to have changed his mind a bit quick

Too be fair, as Hurst mentioned yesterday(?), he would love to keep this squad together, but it'll be the budget that dictates whether he will be able to or not. I think it's fair to say the majority of fans agree?

[IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/mvnser.png[/IMG]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 40
Badger57
May 18, 2015, 5:36pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,896
Gold Stars: 30
Got to say I'm rather worried by PH's assertion that we won't have the means to start the season as we finished this financially speaking.
It makes this season all the more understandable as it sounds like the plan all along was to stay in touch and then push at the end hoping the momentum saw us through the playoffs.  It explains the seeming negativity of PH early in the season also.
A very risky strategy then, and one that failed ultimately, and one that sounds like we will have to endure again.
It makes me all the more annoyed too as we could have walked the league this year with the team who ended the season.
Oh for a generous rich benefactor!  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 40
moosey_club
May 18, 2015, 7:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Setting the scene pre season in a positive manner will encourage and maintain some of the positivity.

Last pre season we had bold statements from the top that were'nt backed up and the only news coming out of the club was of yet another striker turning us down, statements of how we had probably the 4th best squad and our target was to achieve the play offs. Not particularly encouraging and then the pre season fixtures were'nt exactly awe inspiring either.

This pre season we need...
to retain key players, Pearson, Magnay, Mckeown, Disley, LJL, Toto
a marquee signing up top nice and early
interesting/spicy pre season fixtures particularly at home
strong clear (achievable) messages from the club

Also it would be good if the media dept could conjure up some more short films to keep spirits high.

Talking of which when is your film due Sutton/Wrawbs?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 40
rancido
May 18, 2015, 8:10pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
We are carrying a few players who have hardly figured this season and they could be released with very little affect to the squad. Remove 4 players and replace with 2 more versatile ones and that gives us a saving and a better squad.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 40
BIGChris
May 18, 2015, 8:45pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Badger57
Got to say I'm rather worried by PH's assertion that we won't have the means to start the season as we finished this financially speaking.
It makes this season all the more understandable as it sounds like the plan all along was to stay in touch and then push at the end hoping the momentum saw us through the playoffs.  It explains the seeming negativity of PH early in the season also.
A very risky strategy then, and one that failed ultimately, and one that sounds like we will have to endure again.
It makes me all the more annoyed too as we could have walked the league this year with the team who ended the season.
Oh for a generous rich benefactor!  

PH said we couldn't have afforded the squad that we had at the end to have all been on board all season. This was viable because the lottery winners injected £50k via a share purchase with the caveat that the money was spend on team strengthening.

Maybe they will add some more although I fully accept that it is for them to decide and nobody else
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 40
KingstonMariner
May 18, 2015, 9:45pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I know that £50k was only the second half of the season but it's not a massive amount. Crowd funding as suggested by the initial poster might not be a bad idea if it's done quickly and ride the wave of positivity.

I know previous attempts like Keep the Mariners Afloat campaign weren't always successful, but then we have examples like the Joe Waters and Ivano Bonetti appeals.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 40
HackneyHaddock
May 18, 2015, 10:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Could the club do something so that exiled supporters could make a financial contribution and also feel part of the club?  Some sort of promotion "Bond" where maybe we could pay £100/200 towards the playing budget in return for a tour of the ground or a chance to watch the team train, or the odd mention on twitter or in the programme?  

I'd even sponsor a Junior season ticket for a kid back in the area who'd like to go but whose parents can't afford to take them, on the basis that the club get £90 they otherwise wouldn't get, plus another £100 in food, drink, merchandise over a season, plus £50 in ticket sales because they might bring a paying mate or relative five or six times over the season.  

Just a few ideas, and they may well be a lot of trouble to organise or already have been looked at, but I think a lot of people, especially those of us who maybe get to half a dozen games a season (most of them away so putting money into other clubs) would love the chance to be part of the big push.  A thousand people putting in £100 each, would raise a significant amount.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 40
mariner83
May 18, 2015, 10:14pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
Maybe they could do something like a pie & a programme for a £X (not sure if that's possible with it being outside caterers?).

Vouchers for say 3 games for £45 for shift workers who can't have ST?

They need to carry on with the great PR we've had this season as well. Loved the videos &  sticker album
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 19 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Squad Retention and Attendances

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.