Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: immariner, May 18, 2015, 2:15pm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32780754

Most have said that they love this squad of players we now have and that they want to see them stay together as we've been pretty formidable in the last 15 games or so, losing only 1 in normal time. The players clearly like playing for the club and the fans have responded. Pittman and others have said it is the best group of lads they have ever played with. However, with our predicted budget next season we won't be able to keep them together according to Hurst. Is it time for the fans to put their money when their mouths are and start turning up in their droves? We can do it next year if we keep this group together. There is a belief and a togetherness now that we haven't had in over a decade and we can do better than a 3,500 home average to support our club.
Posted by: chicaneuk, May 18, 2015, 2:19pm; Reply: 1
Maybe the club could consider some crowd funding initiatives beyond regular merchandise, to try and draw in additional revenue to try raise revenue to keep key players? I'd love to go on a tour of Blundell Park for example - dressing rooms, boxes, etc. In all my 5-6 years of going all I've ever seen is the Pontoon!!
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 18, 2015, 2:23pm; Reply: 2
Attendances will be dictated by signings at the start of the season and results as the season goes on. Therefore cash has to be put on the table to attract the players that will deliver promotion.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 18, 2015, 2:23pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from immariner
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32780754

Most have said that they love this squad of players we now have and that they want to see them stay together as we've been pretty formidable in the last 15 games or so, losing only 1 in normal time. The players clearly like playing for the club and the fans have responded. Pittman and others have said it is the best group of lads they have ever played with. However, with our predicted budget next season we won't be able to keep them together according to Hurst. Is it time for the fans to put their money when their mouths are and start turning up in their droves? We can do it next year if we keep this group together. There is a belief and a togetherness now that we haven't had in over a decade and we can do better than a 3,500 home average to support our club.

Need to get the fans onside right from the off. Start winning games from match one and the floaters will stick with it instead of drifting away as they have the previous seasons. The last 15 games have galvanised the club and fans and we need to build on that right from the first game next season. Upping the average gate to over 4000 and a bit of luck in the cup would go a long way to bridging the financial gap. Hope we can keep the bulk of this squad and add one or two quality signings in the right areas.
Posted by: psgmariner, May 18, 2015, 2:45pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from chicaneuk
Maybe the club could consider some crowd funding initiatives beyond regular merchandise, to try and draw in additional revenue to try raise revenue to keep key players? I'd love to go on a tour of Blundell Park for example - dressing rooms, boxes, etc. In all my 5-6 years of going all I've ever seen is the Pontoon!!

You can do that already. Ask Dave Smith. It's ace - highly recommended.
Posted by: GiveUsAG, May 18, 2015, 3:09pm; Reply: 5
We need to keep the positivity, that will rub off onto the locals of the towns (Grimsby and Cleethorpes, and surrounding areas I guess).

With this "so proud to be GTFC" attitude / atmosphere surrounding the fans and club at the moment, I believe the attendances will be higher next season because we have gained interest and the 'belief' factor. I also notice there's a sense of pride too.

It wouldn't surprise me if we'll be favourites to win the league next season. There's so much belief at the moment, it's like nothing I've experienced in the 7 seasons I've supported the Mariners. And it feels great. I feel really proud to be a town fan.

I can't help but think and believe we will be fighting for the tittle next season, and that's before any transfers are done. I've heard many fans and seen many fans comment saying "we'll be champions next season", and you can tell, they really believe it.

So I think we'll see a rise season ticket sales for next season. I'm already excited for next season (is it just me? lol).
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 18, 2015, 3:21pm; Reply: 6
The fans will only turn up if the team can start to play at the start of the season like they did the end, shitty results against teams that ended up being relegated or just above will not bring the fans back in droves as you put it.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 18, 2015, 3:55pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from arryarryarry
The fans will only turn up if the team can start to play at the start of the season like they did the end, shitty results against teams that ended up being relegated or just above will not bring the fans back in droves as you put it.

not strictly true. yes, our fans drift away very quickly after 1 or 2 poor results but equally they are very quick to resume their support given a bit of encouragement and hope. 2 examples were the away followings at rovers this year and at cheltenham ,the first game of the infamous relegation season.
the trouble is we always seem to start staggering rather than running!
i do think its important for the club to recognise that they have to 'strike while the iron is hot' and do their best to exploit the atmosphere of positivity. get the season ticket advertising up and out there asap etc
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, May 18, 2015, 3:59pm; Reply: 8
i would only release 4/5 but replace them with 2/3 quality signings
Posted by: cmackenzie4, May 18, 2015, 4:00pm; Reply: 9
Good post by the original poster!  I will certainly be attending more games next season and my lad will be getting a season ticket ( gift from me ) I will also be taking my wife and daughter to the games, we need to get as many through them turnstiles as possible!
Posted by: fiveallive, May 18, 2015, 4:05pm; Reply: 10
There a lot armchair Prem fans who watch on the telly instead of supporting their home town club which is up to them, back in the 05/06 season we were in the top 3 of League 2 all season and struggled to get 6,000 back then and the tickets where cheaper back then aswell so alot of people will not pay to watch us play Braintree, Dover etc. Plus we have always struggled against the relegation teams of the division since we have been in Non-League the likes of a Southport, Nuneaton.
Posted by: Tangerine Chris, May 18, 2015, 4:36pm; Reply: 11
Funny that, because 7 days ago he said this:

PAUL Hurst says there won't be many changes at Blundell Park this summer – whatever the result at Wembley.

Read more: http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Grimsby-Town-boss-keen-squad-happens-Wembley-Play/story-26475065-detail/story.html#ixzz3aVMXXfeQ
Follow us: @GrimsbyTel on Twitter | grimsbytel on Facebook

seems to have changed his mind a bit quick
Posted by: GiveUsAG, May 18, 2015, 4:43pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Tangerine Chris
Funny that, because 7 days ago he said this:

PAUL Hurst says there won't be many changes at Blundell Park this summer – whatever the result at Wembley.

Read more: http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Grimsby-Town-boss-keen-squad-happens-Wembley-Play/story-26475065-detail/story.html#ixzz3aVMXXfeQ
Follow us: @GrimsbyTel on Twitter | grimsbytel on Facebook

seems to have changed his mind a bit quick

Too be fair, as Hurst mentioned yesterday(?), he would love to keep this squad together, but it'll be the budget that dictates whether he will be able to or not. I think it's fair to say the majority of fans agree?
Posted by: Badger57, May 18, 2015, 5:36pm; Reply: 13
Got to say I'm rather worried by PH's assertion that we won't have the means to start the season as we finished this financially speaking.
It makes this season all the more understandable as it sounds like the plan all along was to stay in touch and then push at the end hoping the momentum saw us through the playoffs.  It explains the seeming negativity of PH early in the season also.
A very risky strategy then, and one that failed ultimately, and one that sounds like we will have to endure again.
It makes me all the more annoyed too as we could have walked the league this year with the team who ended the season.
Oh for a generous rich benefactor!  
Posted by: moosey_club, May 18, 2015, 7:35pm; Reply: 14
Setting the scene pre season in a positive manner will encourage and maintain some of the positivity.

Last pre season we had bold statements from the top that were'nt backed up and the only news coming out of the club was of yet another striker turning us down, statements of how we had probably the 4th best squad and our target was to achieve the play offs. Not particularly encouraging and then the pre season fixtures were'nt exactly awe inspiring either.

This pre season we need...
to retain key players, Pearson, Magnay, Mckeown, Disley, LJL, Toto
a marquee signing up top nice and early
interesting/spicy pre season fixtures particularly at home
strong clear (achievable) messages from the club

Also it would be good if the media dept could conjure up some more short films to keep spirits high.

Talking of which when is your film due Sutton/Wrawbs?

Posted by: rancido, May 18, 2015, 8:10pm; Reply: 15
We are carrying a few players who have hardly figured this season and they could be released with very little affect to the squad. Remove 4 players and replace with 2 more versatile ones and that gives us a saving and a better squad.
Posted by: BIGChris, May 18, 2015, 8:45pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Badger57
Got to say I'm rather worried by PH's assertion that we won't have the means to start the season as we finished this financially speaking.
It makes this season all the more understandable as it sounds like the plan all along was to stay in touch and then push at the end hoping the momentum saw us through the playoffs.  It explains the seeming negativity of PH early in the season also.
A very risky strategy then, and one that failed ultimately, and one that sounds like we will have to endure again.
It makes me all the more annoyed too as we could have walked the league this year with the team who ended the season.
Oh for a generous rich benefactor!  

PH said we couldn't have afforded the squad that we had at the end to have all been on board all season. This was viable because the lottery winners injected £50k via a share purchase with the caveat that the money was spend on team strengthening.

Maybe they will add some more although I fully accept that it is for them to decide and nobody else
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 18, 2015, 9:45pm; Reply: 17
I know that £50k was only the second half of the season but it's not a massive amount. Crowd funding as suggested by the initial poster might not be a bad idea if it's done quickly and ride the wave of positivity.

I know previous attempts like Keep the Mariners Afloat campaign weren't always successful, but then we have examples like the Joe Waters and Ivano Bonetti appeals.
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, May 18, 2015, 10:02pm; Reply: 18
Could the club do something so that exiled supporters could make a financial contribution and also feel part of the club?  Some sort of promotion "Bond" where maybe we could pay £100/200 towards the playing budget in return for a tour of the ground or a chance to watch the team train, or the odd mention on twitter or in the programme?  

I'd even sponsor a Junior season ticket for a kid back in the area who'd like to go but whose parents can't afford to take them, on the basis that the club get £90 they otherwise wouldn't get, plus another £100 in food, drink, merchandise over a season, plus £50 in ticket sales because they might bring a paying mate or relative five or six times over the season.  

Just a few ideas, and they may well be a lot of trouble to organise or already have been looked at, but I think a lot of people, especially those of us who maybe get to half a dozen games a season (most of them away so putting money into other clubs) would love the chance to be part of the big push.  A thousand people putting in £100 each, would raise a significant amount.
Posted by: mariner83, May 18, 2015, 10:14pm; Reply: 19
Maybe they could do something like a pie & a programme for a £X (not sure if that's possible with it being outside caterers?).

Vouchers for say 3 games for £45 for shift workers who can't have ST?

They need to carry on with the great PR we've had this season as well. Loved the videos &  sticker album :)
Posted by: LH, May 18, 2015, 10:16pm; Reply: 20
I suggested crowd funding or paying a bit extra on top of my season ticket price earlier on a different thread and got two red crosses. I'm glad other people see it as a good option. We can't rely on wealthy shareholders entirely and even though we contribute every time we enter BP, go to the club shop or buy a pint in the bar if we are going to to be competitive with a reduced budget we're going to have help to plug the gap with extras where possible. The easiest way being joining the Trust.
Posted by: friskneymariner, May 18, 2015, 10:23pm; Reply: 21
The best way we  can financially help the club is to commit to season tickets as early as possible,whilst that may not be possible for everybody the club could introduce easy payment methods.
Posted by: KK_DOG, May 18, 2015, 10:31pm; Reply: 22
The club did a five year season ticket, must be over 5 years ago now. I didn't take it up but they could do that again to inject some cash.
Posted by: mariner2000, May 18, 2015, 10:53pm; Reply: 23
Just as an out there suggestion is there anyway we as a town/region could lead the way and stop/change Saturday local legue fixtures for kids/ teens etc??  

They are tomorrows supporters and yet they can't get to games as they have their own games to attend.   IO know they can't all play on Sunday due to the lack of pitches but what other suggestions/options are there?
Posted by: immariner, May 19, 2015, 12:24am; Reply: 24
Quoted from HackneyHaddock

I'd even sponsor a Junior season ticket for a kid back in the area who'd like to go but whose parents can't afford to take them, on the basis that the club get £90 they otherwise wouldn't get, plus another £100 in food, drink, merchandise over a season, plus £50 in ticket sales because they might bring a paying mate or relative five or six times over the season.  

I absolutely love that idea and could definitely see it as a trust initiative. I probably couldn't stretch to a full season ticket but the idea of exiles who can't get to games subsidising junior tickets (Grimsby is of course a deprived area), helping them get to games and hopefully creating life-long supporters, whilst supporting the current playing budget, fills me with hope. It's a very community-centred idea and Grimsby Town is a community club.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 19, 2015, 12:35am; Reply: 25
Agree. Sounds like a win-win-win suggestion. Kickstart-a-Mariner? ;)

Be interested to hear from any of the Trust Board and any one involved in social services/third sector organisation about this. Might be issues we haven't thought about.
Posted by: GiveUsAG, May 19, 2015, 7:54am; Reply: 26
I'd like to see more offers on tickets, both season tickets and match day tickets. One I'd like to see 'family season tickets' and 'family day out tickets'. Say 2 adults 2 juniors, or / and 1 adult 1 junior get in for £X amount. And not to be restricted to just the main stand, I think we'd sell more if they could choose which stand they want to be in.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 19, 2015, 8:44am; Reply: 27
We do have the loudest and best fans in this league if we keep the key players here and add a couple more with our 12th man we should romp next season. Grit, determination seem to be bonded in this squad. There is no doubt our team that ended this season were the best in the league of that I am certain. The damage was done ist half of the season getting rid of Aswad Thomas and a few other dis tractors and bringing in new faces was a master stroke on Hursts part the players and the fans spirits visibly lifted.  
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, May 19, 2015, 9:04am; Reply: 28
Great to see ideas flowing like this.

Most of the suggestions are along the lines of lots of people putting a little bit more in, which is great. But there's also the economic model of a small number of people putting lots of money in (to complement the other ideas, not replace them).

Just like in kickstarter appeals for music artists trying to get a new album out. Most people will put £10 in and get a CD back. But 1 or 2 might pay a few grand to spend a few days with the band on tour or something like that.

We know Grimsby isn't a wealthy area in general but I am certain there are Town fans who are doing extremely well for themselves financially. Perhaps there are one or two who would pay over the odds to have a stand named after them for a season or be an official member of the squad or something like that.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 19, 2015, 9:09am; Reply: 29
It's got to be a two way thing. Whatever the figures, the club need to spend some Wembley cash to get us over the line with the final few pieces of the jigsaw. I know it doesn't guarantee anything and I know I'm not a big fan of PH, but having come so close, he has earned another chance.

Good signings and a good start will generate income - an increase of 300 on the average home gate would generate £5000 per home game. There is a genuine belief that we can get back to the Football League but it has to happen soon.
Posted by: maxfox44, May 19, 2015, 9:54am; Reply: 30
I wonder if PH saying that it will be hard financially to keep the squad together was actually aimed at some of the players and their agents.

It's hardly a great position to be in by saying "yeah, we got loads of extra cash from this match and next season we can push the boat out".
Posted by: Garth, May 19, 2015, 10:08am; Reply: 31
Quoted from maxfox44
I wonder if PH saying that it will be hard financially to keep the squad together was actually aimed at some of the players and their agents.

It's hardly a great position to be in by saying "yeah, we got loads of extra cash from this match and next season we can push the boat out".

Good point
Posted by: BIGChris, May 19, 2015, 10:10am; Reply: 32
Some good suggestions.

I have put an e-mail together following a PM from Grim Rob and sent it to the Trust board to see if they think they can help/assist either directly or hopefully in conjunction with the club
Posted by: pizzzza, May 19, 2015, 10:26am; Reply: 33
I know it has been mentioned umpteen times before but the Pontoon singeing section really needs to move to the middle. Look at the atmosphere created at Wembley as the noise spread in BOTH directions throughout the crowd. Get the Ponny bouncing every game and people will want to come, the attendence will rise naturally.
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 19, 2015, 10:45am; Reply: 34
Great stuff everyone!

I think it's absolutely essential that the club capitalise on this wave of determination in the face of Sunday's defeat.  

As soul-destroying as it was to lose on penalties, it seems to have made the fan-base even more determined.  

A point me and the people travelling with me on Sunday made was that even though the 13,000 was deemed a disappointing number we compared it to the higher numbers that went to the Wrexham and MK Dons finals.  The difference was that previously it felt like it was a smaller number of those really invested in the game with the rest day-trippers, Sunday felt like everyone of the 13,000 bought into it.   That's a wonderful footing for the club this summer to work on.  
Posted by: BIGChris, May 19, 2015, 10:49am; Reply: 35
Quoted from diehardmariner
Great stuff everyone!

I think it's absolutely essential that the club capitalise on this wave of determination in the face of Sunday's defeat.  

As soul-destroying as it was to lose on penalties, it seems to have made the fan-base even more determined.  

A point me and the people travelling with me on Sunday made was that even though the 13,000 was deemed a disappointing number we compared it to the higher numbers that went to the Wrexham and MK Dons finals.  The difference was that previously it felt like it was a smaller number of those really invested in the game with the rest day-trippers, Sunday felt like everyone of the 13,000 bought into it.   That's a wonderful footing for the club this summer to work on.  

Exactly. We commented that Rovers had 20,000 tourists in their27,000 whilst our lot bought into being a fan
Posted by: Chrisblor, May 19, 2015, 10:57am; Reply: 36
Yep, my usually quiet Dad and (Portsmouth supporting!) girlfriend were joining in with the singing all match. Really hope this enthusiasm continues into next season and spurs the players on.
Posted by: LeeVanCleef, May 19, 2015, 11:46am; Reply: 37
After reading this thread and some of the ideas, putting some of those ideas together I've come up with this...

Putting the idea of crowd funding and child sponsorship together.

What about an initiative to perhaps fund 50/100 junior season tickets (for arguments sake I'm talking senior school age). So what happens is, we fund the cost of say 100 season tickets, all allocated in the same section of the ground so they are all sat together.
Every week, 2/3/4 schools in the local area are allocated an amount of tickets (lets say 4 a week so that they each get 25). The schools are notified well in advance when it will be their turn and any child at the school has the option to enter a ballot to "win" a free ticket to a game.
I suppose the schools could run a permission slip system in case some parents are not happy about little Johnny going all the way to BP without them.
The club could perhaps provide 1 or 2 free adult tickets for each school so that there is some sort of adult supervision as I'm sure there would be one or two teachers that wouldn't mind going along for the chance to go to a game for free.
I don't know how many schools there are in the area so I don't know if this would cover them all, I cant see that it wouldn't and perhaps some schools would get the opportunity to run this twice in the season.
I'm not a parent, but I would be more than happy to donate the cost of one or two season tickets if something like this was implemented. With 23 home games a season, this could effectively give the opportunity for 2300 different kids to get to watch one home game of the season for "free". Even if just 10% of that number started attending more regularly that would boost us massively.
Maybe the trust could even take on the administrative role of organising it to boost their profile and take some of the burden away from the club.

Just my thoughts.
Posted by: LH, May 19, 2015, 11:48am; Reply: 38
Multibuy tickets were mentioned above and have been numerous times in the past. Surely it's worth a trial for a season? I like the fixed price for 3 games but how about an alternative idea of paying full price for 3 games and then getting a fourth for say a tenner? That keeps someone interested for as long as 2 months and would surely bring in some matchday revenue on those days too.

Another idea I've seen mentioned before is a season card which would be in addition to season tickets for regulars who may not attend every game or those who need to pick and choose their games. They would pay a fee (£20 maybe) for a card that guarantees a seat of their choice for every game of the season provided they "activated" their seat by purchasing their ticket before say Friday evening or lunchtime on matchday. This could prove popular amongst shift workers etc and even some exiles. The two lads I have a season ticket with are looking like they won't be renewing this time due to work and financial reasons. I know that when we've tried to get extra tickets near us in the past we have sometimes struggled to get near us so if they're wanting to sit with me for bigger games (and who could blame them) they either need to be in early in ticket sales or lucky.

I appreciate their may be logistical problems with this idea but even with my limited knowledge this could even be done on a spreadsheet. This could also be used as another stage in the sales of away tickets as I know some have been disappointed in the past despite attending many games over a season.

Finally, we find ourselves involved in the FA Trophy and the FAC4QR again this season. How about anyone who buys a ticket to these games gets £2 off their next match ticket as a reward? Possibly boost gates and therefore is unexpected cash in both ticket and matchday income. The problems I can see with this one is ticket prices have to be agreed by the two clubs and the FAT being the worst competition of all time and even if we had strippers and free beer in the trust bar for those games people still wouldn't come.
Posted by: LH, May 19, 2015, 11:57am; Reply: 39
Oh and extend the Young Adult season ticket age range up to 22/23/24/25. Get kids involed and keep them involved by not pricing them out when they turn 18/21 or whatever it is now.
Posted by: big al, May 19, 2015, 12:20pm; Reply: 40
Some really good ideas. What is clear in all these posts is the shared sense that we can really go places and we can make a difference if we work together. It was there for all to see on Sunday and it can be a motivating force next season. Powerful stuff.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 10:46am