This thread currently has 6,887 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
May 18, 2015, 1:25pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
I know that some of you may view this message with some scepticism, however I just wanted to take a moment to congratulate you on what was a fantastic performance today, speaking as a Bristol Rovers fan. I've attended almost every home game this season, and most of our away games. I've seen three of our five league defeats 'in the flesh' as it were, and today has been the most bittersweet day of them all. I cannot fathom how we won, I spent a good proportion of today's final simultaneously confused and embarrassed by how you played us off the park (both on and off the, err.. park) and I want to, in the least patronising way, pass along both congratulations and commiserations.

Speaking as the 'victor' this is a relatively easy message to write. I've had a brief scan of your forum and the way with which the vast majority of you have reacted has been amazing (I cannot see that I would have been nearly so level-headed). You were the better team today, let us not fool ourselves, you were the better fans, louder and less stifled by the occasion, and you were the most deserving, on the day, of promotion to the Football League.

I sincerely hope that your graciousness in defeat is not a result of a reluctant resignation to conference obscurity (I don't think it is, actually) because Grimsby Town have a place in League football, and higher than League Two. You are a "proper" side, as much as that is a horrid cliche, and you proved that so well today and if I was a Grimsby Town fan I would be more proud today than I can express because you were fantastic.

I hope I've not laid it on too thick, I've had a few celebratory drinks because my team won today and I take solace in the fact that they've been fantastic all season, but I will always wish that we had held on at Dover, not just so that we would have been crowned champions but also because I truly believe you would have beaten Barnet or Forest Green comfortably, and that would have been just.

I know it will hurt for a long time and I know this won't necessarily mean a lot, and even less to some, but I almost never take the time to post to my own club's forum, let alone one of another's. And I will definitely, one-hundred percent be rooting for you next season.

Good luck.

Tim BRFC.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
MuddyWaters
May 18, 2015, 1:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from GrimRob
I know that some of you may view this message with some scepticism, however I just wanted to take a moment to congratulate you on what was a fantastic performance today, speaking as a Bristol Rovers fan. I've attended almost every home game this season, and most of our away games. I've seen three of our five league defeats 'in the flesh' as it were, and today has been the most bittersweet day of them all. I cannot fathom how we won, I spent a good proportion of today's final simultaneously confused and embarrassed by how you played us off the park (both on and off the, err.. park) and I want to, in the least patronising way, pass along both congratulations and commiserations.

Speaking as the 'victor' this is a relatively easy message to write. I've had a brief scan of your forum and the way with which the vast majority of you have reacted has been amazing (I cannot see that I would have been nearly so level-headed). You were the better team today, let us not fool ourselves, you were the better fans, louder and less stifled by the occasion, and you were the most deserving, on the day, of promotion to the Football League.

I sincerely hope that your graciousness in defeat is not a result of a reluctant resignation to conference obscurity (I don't think it is, actually) because Grimsby Town have a place in League football, and higher than League Two. You are a "proper" side, as much as that is a horrid cliche, and you proved that so well today and if I was a Grimsby Town fan I would be more proud today than I can express because you were fantastic.

I hope I've not laid it on too thick, I've had a few celebratory drinks because my team won today and I take solace in the fact that they've been fantastic all season, but I will always wish that we had held on at Dover, not just so that we would have been crowned champions but also because I truly believe you would have beaten Barnet or Forest Green comfortably, and that would have been just.

I know it will hurt for a long time and I know this won't necessarily mean a lot, and even less to some, but I almost never take the time to post to my own club's forum, let alone one of another's. And I will definitely, one-hundred percent be rooting for you next season.

Good luck.

Tim BRFC.

Yeh thanks...for nothing,
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 27
FishOutOfWater
May 18, 2015, 1:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Anyone else see this write up..

A fair enough assessment from their perspective imho

http://www.westerndailypress.c.....74-detail/story.html
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 27
LH
May 18, 2015, 1:30pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,457
Gold Stars: 172
I'd be gracious in victory if we'd been outplayed for most of the game and won on a penalty shootout. Bore off with how nice their fans are ffs.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 27
forza ivano
May 18, 2015, 1:40pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,135
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
Anyone else see this write up..

A fair enough assessment from their perspective imho

http://www.westerndailypress.c.....74-detail/story.html

can't argue with that. first i heard about taylor and pearson - what was the story there?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 27
RoboCod
May 18, 2015, 1:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
From what I saw Pearson did not touch Taylor. Watched the replay a few times. Taylor should get some kind of combined acting and poor sportsmanship award however, with a simple tap in to an empty goal he chose to fling himself to the floor, after taking an extra step or two, as he preferred a penalty and the opposition keeper off.  What's almost comical is that he makes such a balls-up of it and he hits the floor with a THUD!  If you've not seen it then check it out, that bounce of the head off the floor is similar to a good old haymaker, with the bruise to match.
He then nearly folds himself in two with the impact, it all looks very painful but idiotic, then he finds he has a yellow for his pains.  

That swollen eye came from the impact of his dive, I'm sure. Be interested in anyone else's video analysis

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 27
Bee Army
May 18, 2015, 1:54pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +29
Nice comments from the Rovers fan. Sorry to say I disagree with some of it, I came away feeling very confident we (Barnet) would have beaten both of you yesterday. You guys could not finish at all! And we all have ifs and buts, so no need for that about Dover game! Anyway....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 27
blasty
May 18, 2015, 2:00pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +227
Quoted from Bee Army
Nice comments from the Rovers fan. Sorry to say I disagree with some of it, I came away feeling very confident we (Barnet) would have beaten both of you yesterday. You guys could not finish at all! And we all have ifs and buts, so no need for that about Dover game! Anyway....

Yeah, we probably should ignore the fact we turned you over twice quite comfortably during the season, which meant we came away from both of those games pretty confident we wouldve beaten you in another one off game. Add to that the fact you dont have a clue how your players would've handled playing in front of 30k (I presume you might just have rustled up 7 or 8k there). Thanks for the input though....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 27
LH
May 18, 2015, 2:04pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,457
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from blasty

Yeah, we probably should ignore the fact we turned you over twice quite comfortably during the season, which meant we came away from both of those games pretty confident we wouldve beaten you in another one off game. Add to that the fact you dont have a clue how your players would've handled playing in front of 30k (I presume you might just have rustled up 7 or 8k there). Thanks for the input though....

Yeah just the six goals past the champions this season. One of the highlights of the weekend for me was my Mrs looking out the tube window and seeing The Hive and jokingly saying "Is that Wembley?". How depressing that a team that plays in a bus shelter can finish two places higher than us and win the league  
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 27
FishOutOfWater
May 18, 2015, 2:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from LH

Yeah just the six goals past the champions this season. One of the highlights of the weekend for me was my Mrs looking out the tube window and seeing The Hive and jokingly saying "Is that Wembley?". How depressing that a team that plays in a bus shelter can finish two places higher than us and win the league  

What's done is done mate - Barnet finished top and us beating them changed nothing. I can't begrudge them too much even though to us they might have seemed like a "one man team"

Maybe us shipping six goals and six points to a poor Lincoln outfit might have done more to stop us going up than we realised at the time
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 27
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › More Rovers Feedback

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.