This thread currently has 6,879 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
May 18, 2015, 1:25pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
I know that some of you may view this message with some scepticism, however I just wanted to take a moment to congratulate you on what was a fantastic performance today, speaking as a Bristol Rovers fan. I've attended almost every home game this season, and most of our away games. I've seen three of our five league defeats 'in the flesh' as it were, and today has been the most bittersweet day of them all. I cannot fathom how we won, I spent a good proportion of today's final simultaneously confused and embarrassed by how you played us off the park (both on and off the, err.. park) and I want to, in the least patronising way, pass along both congratulations and commiserations.

Speaking as the 'victor' this is a relatively easy message to write. I've had a brief scan of your forum and the way with which the vast majority of you have reacted has been amazing (I cannot see that I would have been nearly so level-headed). You were the better team today, let us not fool ourselves, you were the better fans, louder and less stifled by the occasion, and you were the most deserving, on the day, of promotion to the Football League.

I sincerely hope that your graciousness in defeat is not a result of a reluctant resignation to conference obscurity (I don't think it is, actually) because Grimsby Town have a place in League football, and higher than League Two. You are a "proper" side, as much as that is a horrid cliche, and you proved that so well today and if I was a Grimsby Town fan I would be more proud today than I can express because you were fantastic.

I hope I've not laid it on too thick, I've had a few celebratory drinks because my team won today and I take solace in the fact that they've been fantastic all season, but I will always wish that we had held on at Dover, not just so that we would have been crowned champions but also because I truly believe you would have beaten Barnet or Forest Green comfortably, and that would have been just.

I know it will hurt for a long time and I know this won't necessarily mean a lot, and even less to some, but I almost never take the time to post to my own club's forum, let alone one of another's. And I will definitely, one-hundred percent be rooting for you next season.

Good luck.

Tim BRFC.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
MuddyWaters
May 18, 2015, 1:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,175
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from GrimRob
I know that some of you may view this message with some scepticism, however I just wanted to take a moment to congratulate you on what was a fantastic performance today, speaking as a Bristol Rovers fan. I've attended almost every home game this season, and most of our away games. I've seen three of our five league defeats 'in the flesh' as it were, and today has been the most bittersweet day of them all. I cannot fathom how we won, I spent a good proportion of today's final simultaneously confused and embarrassed by how you played us off the park (both on and off the, err.. park) and I want to, in the least patronising way, pass along both congratulations and commiserations.

Speaking as the 'victor' this is a relatively easy message to write. I've had a brief scan of your forum and the way with which the vast majority of you have reacted has been amazing (I cannot see that I would have been nearly so level-headed). You were the better team today, let us not fool ourselves, you were the better fans, louder and less stifled by the occasion, and you were the most deserving, on the day, of promotion to the Football League.

I sincerely hope that your graciousness in defeat is not a result of a reluctant resignation to conference obscurity (I don't think it is, actually) because Grimsby Town have a place in League football, and higher than League Two. You are a "proper" side, as much as that is a horrid cliche, and you proved that so well today and if I was a Grimsby Town fan I would be more proud today than I can express because you were fantastic.

I hope I've not laid it on too thick, I've had a few celebratory drinks because my team won today and I take solace in the fact that they've been fantastic all season, but I will always wish that we had held on at Dover, not just so that we would have been crowned champions but also because I truly believe you would have beaten Barnet or Forest Green comfortably, and that would have been just.

I know it will hurt for a long time and I know this won't necessarily mean a lot, and even less to some, but I almost never take the time to post to my own club's forum, let alone one of another's. And I will definitely, one-hundred percent be rooting for you next season.

Good luck.

Tim BRFC.

Yeh thanks...for nothing,
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 27
FishOutOfWater
May 18, 2015, 1:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Anyone else see this write up..

A fair enough assessment from their perspective imho

http://www.westerndailypress.c.....74-detail/story.html
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 2 - 27
LH
May 18, 2015, 1:30pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,459
Gold Stars: 172
I'd be gracious in victory if we'd been outplayed for most of the game and won on a penalty shootout. Bore off with how nice their fans are ffs.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 27
forza ivano
May 18, 2015, 1:40pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,126
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
Anyone else see this write up..

A fair enough assessment from their perspective imho

http://www.westerndailypress.c.....74-detail/story.html

can't argue with that. first i heard about taylor and pearson - what was the story there?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 27
RoboCod
May 18, 2015, 1:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
From what I saw Pearson did not touch Taylor. Watched the replay a few times. Taylor should get some kind of combined acting and poor sportsmanship award however, with a simple tap in to an empty goal he chose to fling himself to the floor, after taking an extra step or two, as he preferred a penalty and the opposition keeper off.  What's almost comical is that he makes such a balls-up of it and he hits the floor with a THUD!  If you've not seen it then check it out, that bounce of the head off the floor is similar to a good old haymaker, with the bruise to match.
He then nearly folds himself in two with the impact, it all looks very painful but idiotic, then he finds he has a yellow for his pains.  

That swollen eye came from the impact of his dive, I'm sure. Be interested in anyone else's video analysis

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 27
Bee Army
May 18, 2015, 1:54pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +29
Nice comments from the Rovers fan. Sorry to say I disagree with some of it, I came away feeling very confident we (Barnet) would have beaten both of you yesterday. You guys could not finish at all! And we all have ifs and buts, so no need for that about Dover game! Anyway....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 27
blasty
May 18, 2015, 2:00pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +227
Quoted from Bee Army
Nice comments from the Rovers fan. Sorry to say I disagree with some of it, I came away feeling very confident we (Barnet) would have beaten both of you yesterday. You guys could not finish at all! And we all have ifs and buts, so no need for that about Dover game! Anyway....

Yeah, we probably should ignore the fact we turned you over twice quite comfortably during the season, which meant we came away from both of those games pretty confident we wouldve beaten you in another one off game. Add to that the fact you dont have a clue how your players would've handled playing in front of 30k (I presume you might just have rustled up 7 or 8k there). Thanks for the input though....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 27
LH
May 18, 2015, 2:04pm

Quoted from blasty

Yeah, we probably should ignore the fact we turned you over twice quite comfortably during the season, which meant we came away from both of those games pretty confident we wouldve beaten you in another one off game. Add to that the fact you dont have a clue how your players would've handled playing in front of 30k (I presume you might just have rustled up 7 or 8k there). Thanks for the input though....

Yeah just the six goals past the champions this season. One of the highlights of the weekend for me was my Mrs looking out the tube window and seeing The Hive and jokingly saying "Is that Wembley?". How depressing that a team that plays in a bus shelter can finish two places higher than us and win the league  
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 27
FishOutOfWater
May 18, 2015, 2:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from LH

Yeah just the six goals past the champions this season. One of the highlights of the weekend for me was my Mrs looking out the tube window and seeing The Hive and jokingly saying "Is that Wembley?". How depressing that a team that plays in a bus shelter can finish two places higher than us and win the league  

What's done is done mate - Barnet finished top and us beating them changed nothing. I can't begrudge them too much even though to us they might have seemed like a "one man team"

Maybe us shipping six goals and six points to a poor Lincoln outfit might have done more to stop us going up than we realised at the time
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 27
chicaneuk
May 18, 2015, 2:12pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,467
Gold Stars: 5

Maybe us shipping six goals and six points to a poor Lincoln outfit might have done more to stop us going up than we realised at the time

We really need to right that wrong, this coming season. Of all the results last season, they were some of the hardest to stomach!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 27
LH
May 18, 2015, 2:20pm

I went through where I think we didn't get promoted with a few mates last night. They blame the first few games of the season when we drew three which we should have won. Fair enough we'd have finished level on points with Barnet but the problem lies with a general lack of goals throughout the season for me as we might have been level on points but not on GD. If we had John Akinde and his half brother John Akinde-Pen we might have had a chance. We also might have had a chance had Pittman not been injured when he was etc etc.

We can cherry pick results all day but leagues are decided over 46 games. You need at least 90pts from them games to have a chance of winning the league and that's what we've to go out and do next year.

I do think it's a fair point that we didn't look like scoring yesterday but I didn't think Palmer was with it yesterday. When Pittman came on we looked a bit more dangerous but didn't create much even then. To come on and gloat that Barnet would have beaten us is laughable though given the two games they played against us. I admit a bit childish to talk about bus shelters from me.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 27
ginnywings
May 18, 2015, 2:31pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,086
Gold Stars: 548
Christ, i hate the plucky loser tag.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 27
Bee Army
May 18, 2015, 2:39pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +29
Oh come on, not gloating just was responding to the Rovers fan and only commenting on what I saw yesterday, that’s all. I found his comments slightly disrespectful to Barnet although am sure that wasn’t the intention. Check out my previous posts, I have acknowledged you did the double over us. That shows you were not consistent enough to win it. But yes, we all know Champions get there on crowds/stadiums and strikers that do it all themselves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 27
LH
May 18, 2015, 2:43pm

Quoted from Bee Army
Oh come on, not gloating just was responding to the Rovers fan and only commenting on what I saw yesterday, that’s all. I found his comments slightly disrespectful to Barnet although am sure that wasn’t the intention. Check out my previous posts, I have acknowledged you did the double over us. That shows you were not consistent enough to win it. But yes, we all know Champions get there on crowds/stadiums and strikers that do it all themselves.

I think you've misinterpreted my point about Akinde. You scored 20 more goals than us this season. Yes John-Lewis got a few but a general lack of goals was the difference between us and you and BR. I know crowds etc don't win leagues and hence why I said the comment was childish above.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 27
ginnywings
May 18, 2015, 2:46pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,086
Gold Stars: 548
Fook me, a Barnet fan lording it over us. You'll soon be back among the minnows.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 27
Caesar
May 18, 2015, 2:54pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,794
I quite like hearing feedback from other fans as long as its fair.  However I think the very raw nature of yesterday is making people react quickly and snap a little on here.  I don't think Bee Army is lording it over us, he is offering a free programme for anyone for example.  But under a percieved attack of his club lept to defence, something we would normally engage in some good hearted banter with but find hard to cope with atm.  

Perhaps it will be easier to cope with nice platitudes about our fans and efforts yesterday once time has passed and I enjoy hearing positive things about us but agree with ginny when he says I am already getting sick of the plucky loser tag.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 27
rancido
May 18, 2015, 3:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,517
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from LH
I went through where I think we didn't get promoted with a few mates last night. They blame the first few games of the season when we drew three which we should have won. Fair enough we'd have finished level on points with Barnet but the problem lies with a general lack of goals throughout the season for me as we might have been level on points but not on GD. If we had John Akinde and his half brother John Akinde-Pen we might have had a chance. We also might have had a chance had Pittman not been injured when he was etc etc.

We can cherry pick results all day but leagues are decided over 46 games. You need at least 90pts from them games to have a chance of winning the league and that's what we've to go out and do next year.

I do think it's a fair point that we didn't look like scoring yesterday but I didn't think Palmer was with it yesterday. When Pittman came on we looked a bit more dangerous but didn't create much even then. To come on and gloat that Barnet would have beaten us is laughable though given the two games they played against us. I admit a bit childish to talk about bus shelters from me.

Admittedly a lack of goals hurt us but the start to the season ( or lack of it !) is a valid point. We only took 13 points out of a possible 30 in the first ten games. That meant we were always playing catch up. To eventually finish 3rd - 6 points behind the eventual champions is no mean feat.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 27
FishOutOfWater
May 18, 2015, 3:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Caesar
I quite like hearing feedback from other fans as long as its fair.  However I think the very raw nature of yesterday is making people react quickly and snap a little on here.  I don't think Bee Army is lording it over us, he is offering a free programme for anyone for example.  But under a percieved attack of his club lept to defence, something we would normally engage in some good hearted banter with but find hard to cope with atm.  

Perhaps it will be easier to cope with nice platitudes about our fans and efforts yesterday once time has passed and I enjoy hearing positive things about us but agree with ginny when he says I am already getting sick of the plucky loser tag.  

Agree Caesar...I give him the benefit of the doubt as he's clearly not coming over on here as the BIG I AM.

Just trying to extend some sympathy maybe but when all's said and done, maybe we're like that proverbial wounded animal and no medicine will help right now
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 27
Lincoln Mariner 56
May 18, 2015, 3:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,599
Gold Stars: 64
Plucky loser is a very English thing and goes back to the days of great sportsmanship I suspect. Of course being English we have had to put up with this at all World and Euro Cups, when we have qualified, for the last 50 years. Losing on penalties seems anational pastime and unfortunately we as a club suffered in the same manner.

I am actually more upset & down about the outcom etoday then I was yesterday. As Big Chris said the realism of away trips to Dover Borehamwood etc are not as attractive as Portsmouth & Notts County.

Think we need a great start to keep the fans momentum as I believe yesterday has about finished us older ones off, depression is really kicking in & at times like this I wish I never got interested in football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 27
FishOutOfWater
May 18, 2015, 4:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Plucky loser is a very English thing and goes back to the days of great sportsmanship I suspect. Of course being English we have had to put up with this at all World and Euro Cups, when we have qualified, for the last 50 years. Losing on penalties seems anational pastime and unfortunately we as a club suffered in the same manner.

I am actually more upset & down about the outcom etoday then I was yesterday. As Big Chris said the realism of away trips to Dover Borehamwood etc are not as attractive as Portsmouth & Notts County.

Think we need a great start to keep the fans momentum as I believe yesterday has about finished us older ones off, depression is really kicking in & at times like this I wish I never got interested in football.

I agree to some extent LM56

Last night on the way home it was the ifs and buts reflection and how it could have been us

Today though it's the reality of thinking will I make it to Guiseley (my nearest fixture) when I would have so wanted it to have been York

The positivity does get sucked out of you on occasions like this but we've been round the block a few times and should know by now

We get knocked down, but we get up again...

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 20 - 27
Caesar
May 18, 2015, 5:26pm

Fine Wine Drinker

I agree to some extent LM56

Last night on the way home it was the ifs and buts reflection and how it could have been us

Today though it's the reality of thinking will I make it to Guiseley (my nearest fixture) when I would have so wanted it to have been York
The positivity does get sucked out of you on occasions like this but we've been round the block a few times and should know by now

We get knocked down, but we get up again...

UTM

Got to admit for all the pride I felt yesterday, it was the reminder of fixtures we have to play now that really got to me too.  Parents have a Caravan in South Shields so Gateshead is a very easy trip for me.  When trying to cheer me up my mother sent me a text saying at least I have a nice place to stay it really brought the despair back again.  I absolutely f***ing loathe Gateshead!  Can understand fans who are sick of getting knocked around.  But this season has had some real highs in it and that is football, it gives you moments of ecstacy and moments where it drags your soul through the sewer.  But we will get up again, and somehow I am sure we will find a way to make a fun day out of going to places like Boreham Wood.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
KK_DOG
May 18, 2015, 5:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +472
Quoted from Caesar

Got to admit for all the pride I felt yesterday, it was the reminder of fixtures we have to play now that really got to me too.  Parents have a Caravan in South Shields so Gateshead is a very easy trip for me.  When trying to cheer me up my mother sent me a text saying at least I have a nice place to stay it really brought the despair back again.  I absolutely f***ing loathe Gateshead!  Can understand fans who are sick of getting knocked around.  But this season has had some real highs in it and that is football, it gives you moments of ecstacy and moments where it drags your soul through the sewer. But we will get up again, and somehow I am sure we will find a way to make a fun day out of going to places like Boreham Wood.

Wow, "Drags your soul through the sewer." That's a very descriptive way of putting it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
Caesar
May 18, 2015, 6:38pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from KK_DOG

Wow, "Drags your soul through the sewer." That's a very descriptive way of putting it.

Ha ha, yeah was desperately trying to come up with some way of describing it and that was the only thing taht came to my mind.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 27
GrimRob
May 18, 2015, 11:04pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Some more feedback:

Rovers were the poorer side today at Wembley.I thought I goalkeeper should have been sent off,I said so at the time our defence were the most nervous I've seen all season but we gradually grew into the game,we always start like this ,fair play to Grimsby they put every thing into the game.And I really hope they do it next season.All the very best.PS having said that what a relief to get back in the league.Dont listen to the media we knew it wasn't goin to be easy ,and we were proved right.

Brian

Well done Grimsby.  I thought your team and fans were first class yesterday.  We were very lucky, something that rovers are not generally!  I will be a closet Mariner next season and sincerely hope you are promoted

David

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 27
louth_in_the_south
May 19, 2015, 12:19am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,639
Gold Stars: 94
Quoted from Caesar

.... and somehow I am sure we will find a way to make a fun day out of going to places like Boreham Wood.

As long as boreham wood has pubs most of us will be ok

Lower F5
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
Spidey
May 19, 2015, 2:44am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +372
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

As long as boreham wood has pubs most of us will be ok

I stayed there the night before the match, not a very exciting place, did have a Nandos and Starbucks though. The high street seemed like Freemo. Train station into Kings Cross St Pancras, if so desired.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 27
forza ivano
May 19, 2015, 7:24am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,126
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Spidey

I stayed there the night before the match, not a very exciting place, did have a Nandos and Starbucks though. The high street seemed like Freemo. Train station into Kings Cross St Pancras, if so desired.

As I've said before it's an absolute shiitehole full of London overspill chavs and low life's. Plenty of nice little villages around and about with decent boozers though and easy to get to.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › More Rovers Feedback

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.