5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
April 14, 2015, 5:52pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
The stats say we have had more shots than any other side, so clearly we are getting in the right positions. I just think our strikers should be better, it's that simple. Their shots to goal ratio isn't as good as the other contenders and we also have no-one at the club who can take consistently good set pieces. I'm sure we also lead the league in the amount of corners won but very rarely does anything come of them.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 47
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 14, 2015, 9:19pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Yes a decent striker signed last summer would have helped enormously but, a BIG but, even a Hearn would struggle to find too many chances with the midfield Town have. Very rarely the centre of midfield has come together and that's when there have been good team performances like Barnet. Most often centre midfield has been short of ideas, failed to demand the ball from defenders and so failed to make things happen. It doesn't help that the wingers tend to position themselves as auxiliary full backs first and attackers second but there is still not enough creativity in the centre of the park. It is fair to point out that Disley has scored important goals. My answer to that would be that a decent midfield and a good striker would have made his goals a bonus not an essential.

Centre midfield is also one reason why McKeown has been beaten from distance several times. Look at the highlights videos and anyone can see how much space the opposition are given to run at the back four and how slow centre midfield is at getting out of the area when we defend corners. In the games where they have been quick to close down we have looked a decent side but it does not happen often enough.

I'm not picking on individuals because it applies to all the players who have been signed and used there. I don't know what the manager tells them but to me there is no consistent  production line operating in midfield to use the ball when we have it and to block the ball when we don't. His preference to use Parslow in that position as sub even when midfielders were fit and on the bench maybe says something about what the manager wants from his midfield. Wherever we are next season this weakness has to be dealt with by at least two quality signings.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 47
Abdul19
April 14, 2015, 9:25pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from ginnywings
I'm sure we also lead the league in the amount of corners won but very rarely does anything come of them.

That's not true, I remember Kidderminster scoring from one

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 47
ginnywings
April 14, 2015, 9:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
I don't think the midfield is too much to blame if we are creating more opportunities than any other team. That tells me that our strikers just don't convert enough chances and the stats bear that out. Our main striker has about a dozen goals from open play. It simply isn't enough.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 47
mariner91
April 14, 2015, 9:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,637
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from ginnywings
I don't think the midfield is too much to blame if we are creating more opportunities than any other team. That tells me that our strikers just don't convert enough chances and the stats bear that out. Our main striker has about a dozen goals from open play. It simply isn't enough.

Chances vary though. You can have a relatively easy chance or a half chance, the stats don't show that. Our strikers might be getting lots of half chances and not scoring as opposed to others who may get less but they're easier.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 47
Mrs Doyle
April 14, 2015, 9:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
The set pieces and corners ARE a real concern to me and should be to Hurst I have become used to the fact a corner means very little to us ?? Why should this be don't they practice any routines?

I also think we give player's to much time outside the box to measure up a shot invariably this results in Macca left struggling to deal with it.

I don't like pointing fingers but if a striker needs half a dozen chances before he even gets a effort on goal........................

Say no more.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 47
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 14, 2015, 9:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from ginnywings

I definitely go along with you about the striker business but midfield is where the pace, the creativity and the passion of the game happen. That's what people have been saying is so lacking especially in home games.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 47
Maringer
April 14, 2015, 9:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,493
Gold Stars: 185
I'm always amazed that we don't have a player standing on the edge of the 'D' whenever we are defending corners. Just have a man sitting there and, if it is half-cleared out the middle (as it often is), there's surely a good chance the ball can be further cleared or at the very least any shot from the centre blocked?

As for attacking corners, our delivery tends to be average at very best and too often we fail to beat the first man. Should certainly do a bit better in this respect.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 47
ackomariner
April 14, 2015, 10:53pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
The striker situation was known by hurst in pre season but failed to strike and get one in, so put all his eggs in one basket with LJL and I would say it's not back fired on him but it's not worked out as he might have hoped.

As Ginny said in his post, 12 goals from open play is not good enough for our main striker that's played nearly every minute of every game .

It just makes you wonder what could've been had we had a better main forward that can convert some of the chances that's been created again this season. It's got to be said that we have missed some sitters again this year which has cost us a fair few points again too

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 47
Abdul19
April 14, 2015, 11:02pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
Bristol Rovers' main striker's got 12 goals in open play this season (although this too, could not be enough)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Home form

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.