5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
April 12, 2015, 11:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Despite being 25 points ahead of them, our home form (37 points from 22 games) is identical to Lincoln City. Why?
Private Message
Marinerz93
April 12, 2015, 11:40am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
To defensive at home and that leads to a lack of atmosphere that the away teams latch onto.

Go hell for leather at home, and teams would fear coming here. As it is they don't, they walk all over the park and do what they want, which invariably means they take either 3 points or 1 point home most of the time.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 47
barralad
April 12, 2015, 1:00pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,268
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Despite being 25 points ahead of them, our home form (37 points from 22 games) is identical to Lincoln City. Why?

Nice to see you back....

Because we are 25 points ahead of them our away form is 25 points better than theirs.

This fact comes to you by courtesy of #statingthebleedingobvious

I guess what I'm trying to say is whilst our home form is more than a tad disappointing and personally I much prefer away games we still have the points on the board. It is only relevant in the context of how much home gates may well have been affected by the poor home form. Not too sure there is much evidence of that

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 47
MuddyWaters
April 12, 2015, 1:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

Nice to see you back....

Because we are 25 points ahead of them our away form is 25 points better than theirs.

This fact comes to you by courtesy of #statingthebleedingobvious

I guess what I'm trying to say is whilst our home form is more than a tad disappointing and personally I much prefer away games we still have the points on the board. It is only relevant in the context of how much home gates may well have been affected by the poor home form. Not too sure there is much evidence of that

Thanks for that. Been on holiday, glad you missed me.

I did ask why, not state the bleeding obvious!
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 47
grimsby pete
April 12, 2015, 1:13pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
The reason we are better away is because teams attack us and we play better against teams that do that,

At home a lot of teams come for a point or if they do score first they try and hang on to the 3 points,

Most of the time they have managed that because we do not know how to break them down,

We do not have wingers that can beat a man and put the ball on the head or feet of a goal scorer,

Even if we did have those wingers we do not have a goal scorer who can put those chances away.

I hope we win the away leg in the play offs then the team will have to attack us at Blundell Park,

If we lose the away leg then I can not see us getting to Wembley,

However if we do manage to get to Wembley it will be 50/50 whoever we play,

As long as they do not score first and shut up shop.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 47
Maringer
April 12, 2015, 1:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,393
Gold Stars: 184
Of course, it hasn't helped that we have conceded a goal from practically the opposition's first chance in plenty of home games this season! We're not great at breaking teams down when they sit back so falling behind at home in this manner has really cost us. Frustrating that we've conceded lots of goals at BP without the opposition having to work particularly hard for them at all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 47
BIGChris
April 12, 2015, 2:22pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Maringer
Of course, it hasn't helped that we have conceded a goal from practically the opposition's first chance in plenty of home games this season! We're not great at breaking teams down when they sit back so falling behind at home in this manner has really cost us. Frustrating that we've conceded lots of goals at BP without the opposition having to work particularly hard for them at all.

and many of them from distance!
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 47
grimps
April 12, 2015, 2:32pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 46
I think the strikers have taken a lot of stick this season when really it's the lack of support from midfield that has cost us , we seem so slow to break and get a final ball into the box
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 47
Garth
April 12, 2015, 2:34pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from BIGChris

and many of them from distance!

Keeper?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 47
LH
April 12, 2015, 2:49pm

Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,462
Gold Stars: 172
Mostly from distance and all of those from a very similar spot.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 47
chaos33
April 12, 2015, 2:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from grimps
I think the strikers have taken a lot of stick this season when really it's the lack of support from midfield that has cost us , we seem so slow to break and get a final ball into the box

Here we go again....it's the players! I thought I read that we had the best squad in the conference on here in the last week or so, and certainly the best we've had since we were relegated. Surely not?! Have we changed our minds? How fickle are we and how deceitful are they!

There was a thread on here the other day that basically proposed that Brown and Clay were L2 standard and should be retained if we are promoted, and that Disley should get another season. Paddy, of course, should be dispatched (too attack minded). Is our midfield not 'the best in the division' then? Surely it can't be their fault?
It must be the strikers? This natural goalscorer Palmer that was lauded on here 3 weeks ago as being the goalscoring answer to our prayers. Perhaps it's the keeper? Mckeown often seems to concede shots from distance or from the opposition's first shot.

Come on, stop kidding yourselves.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 47
ackomariner
April 12, 2015, 3:02pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from chaos33

Here we go again....it's the players! I thought I read that we had the best squad in the conference on here in the last week or so, and certainly the best we've had since we were relegated. Surely not?! Have we changed our minds? How fickle are we and how deceitful are they!

There was a thread on here the other day that basically proposed that Brown and Clay were L2 standards and should be retained if we are promoted, and that Disley should get another season. Paddy, of course, should be dispatched (too attack minded). Is our midfield not 'the best in the division' then? Surely it can't be their fault?
It must be the strikers? This natural goalscorer Palmer that was lauded on here 3 weeks ago as being the goalscoring answer to our prayers. Perhaps it's the keeper. Mckeown often seems to concede shots from distance or from the opposition's first shot.

Come on, stop kidding yourselves.

Will you please stop writing very good posts chaos.....it won't be tolerated because the truth hurts  

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 47
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 12, 2015, 3:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,631
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from Garth

Keeper?

Well certainly plays a part, has great reactions but as I said last week he regularly gets beat from outside the box which is a concern and maybe explains why he is still at this level.

Regarding home form, I think the heart seems to have drained out of BP and maybe too many of us older ones go out of habit rather than desire. Think we are resigned to most games lacking quality, poor refereeing and a lack of entertaining football. Thus we have over the years become increasingly quiet and never shown more than last week when Osmond was open and I never heard any noise from town fans allowed in.

Agree with Pete that we have wingers who, apart from Rodman occasionally last year, have never been keen to try and beat their full back and if they do get space the quality of crosses is pretty dire and this is exemplified bu our inability to deliver decent crosses from corners and free kicks. The final element for me is that for years our midfield has lacked creativity nor is it an area where we dominate the opposition. Thought Brown may have been the answer but unfortunately not the case.

Hurst has us sorted defensively but the attacking side has been his downfall and the resulting lack of entertainment is reflected in how quickly our floating fans disappear and we are back to the hard core 3000 plus.

The play offs may turn out differently but somehow I think a lot of us just cannot see it and feel our stay in this league will be much longer than any of us ever believed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 47
fishheadphil
April 12, 2015, 5:52pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: -9
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Haven't you heard? Its our fault we the fans are the reason the team is shite at home. Nothing to do with the fact the players choke and bottle it in front of a crowd of more than 1500 people, this is what you get with a manager used to the conference north and players that are only fit for reserve team football anywhere decent. But hey I'm sure the usaul goons on here will blame the the fans for the negative defensive tactics of the great one whom must not be criticised.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 47
MuddyWaters
April 12, 2015, 5:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from fishheadphil

Haven't you heard? Its our fault we the fans are the reason the team is shite at home. Nothing to do with the fact the players choke and bottle it in front of a crowd of more than 1500 people, this is what you get with a manager used to the conference north and players that are only fit for reserve team football anywhere decent. But hey I'm sure the usaul goons on here will blame the the fans for the negative defensive tactics of the great one whom must not be criticised.

Thanks! Couldn't have been more eloquently put!  
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 47
mariner91
April 12, 2015, 6:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,568
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from fishheadphil

I don't think I've ever read such a crock of shite on here and that is saying something. They're conference players, they're not perfect but they're usually better than average (to understate it a bit) for this league, hence why we will finish third. Either they're not good enough and we've got a fantastic manager who gets more out of team than the sum of it's part or they are good enough, either way you're wrong on at least one account. What do you mean by anywhere "decent"? A L1 team? A championship team? Of course they'd only make the reserves there, that's why they're playing in non league football. How many players in this league would regularly start "anywhere decent"? A handful at best.

As for the manager being used to the conference north, I'd say he's done pretty well to finish 4th, 4th and 3rd in the last three seasons if conference north is the full extent of his ability and ambition. He is a decent manager for this level. He has his faults and unfortunately his faults manifest at home in front of the majority of our supporters. Were it the other way round and we were fantastic at home and a bit shite away, I doubt people would be so bothered about it. That isn't an excuse, it's an opinion as either way our home form is unacceptable.

However, we've just come off the back of a terrific run which gave us a shot at the title and how many people on here would have predicted that at the start of the February. Credit must go to both the players and the manager for that, and the fans played their part as well. We've still got a shot at the play offs and I doubt any of the teams below us are relishing playing us in the semi-final. If we don't go up then perhaps it is time to have a new manager as he's had quite a while now but until we know how this season concludes there is no point being so negative and talking utter crap (in some instances). Yes, the result and particularly the performance yesterday was very poor but provided it does not happen again this season then it is just a small blip in the final months of this season. You'd be forgiven for thinking we'd played like that for every game this year the way some are going on about it on here. Let's get behind the team, the season isn't over.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 47
fishheadphil
April 12, 2015, 6:20pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: -9
Quoted from mariner91

I don't think I've ever read such a crock of shite on here and that is saying something. They're conference players, they're not perfect but they're usually better than average (to understate it a bit) for this league, hence why we will finish third. Either they're not good enough and we've got a fantastic manager who gets more out of team than the sum of it's part or they are good enough, either way you're wrong on at least one account. What do you mean by anywhere "decent"? A L1 team? A championship team? Of course they'd only make the reserves there, that's why they're playing in non league football. How many players in this league would regularly start "anywhere decent"? A handful at best.

As for the manager being used to the conference north, I'd say he's done pretty well to finish 4th, 4th and 3rd in the last three seasons if conference north is the full extent of his ability and ambition. He is a decent manager for this level. He has his faults and unfortunately his faults manifest at home in front of the majority of our supporters. Were it the other way round and we were fantastic at home and a bit shite away, I doubt people would be so bothered about it. That isn't an excuse, it's an opinion as either way our home form is unacceptable.

However, we've just come off the back of a terrific run which gave us a shot at the title and how many people on here would have predicted that at the start of the February. Credit must go to both the players and the manager for that, and the fans played their part as well. We've still got a shot at the play offs and I doubt any of the teams below us are relishing playing us in the semi-final. If we don't go up then perhaps it is time to have a new manager as he's had quite a while now but until we know how this season concludes there is no point being so negative and talking utter crap (in some instances). Yes, the result and particularly the performance yesterday was very poor but provided it does not happen again this season then it is just a small blip in the final months of this season. You'd be forgiven for thinking we'd played like that for every game this year the way some are going on about it on here. Let's get behind the team, the season isn't over.

Whilst you keep believing he's the right man to take the club back where it should be the longer you will be watching non league football, come back and speak to me in a few weeks time when the fixture list for the conference comes out and our name is still on it, I hope to hell I'm wrong and we go up nothing would be better for the club but you just don't get it do you? The managers tactics are too negative and defensive, he would rather drawxa game than take a few risks and win more games, if you are a winner at anything in life you are also a risk taker.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 47
mariner91
April 12, 2015, 6:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from fishheadphil

Whilst you keep believing he's the right man to take the club back where it should be the longer you will be watching non league football, come back and speak to me in a few weeks time when the fixture list for the conference comes out and our name is still on it, I hope to hell I'm wrong and we go up nothing would be better for the club but you just don't get it do you? The managers tactics are too negative and defensive, he would rather drawxa game than take a few risks and win more games, if you are a winner at anything in life you are also a risk taker.

You clearly don't read posts. I didn't say I think he's the right man, I said he still has a chance of doing this season which he does. And if he doesn't this season then perhaps it's time for a change.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 47
forza ivano
April 12, 2015, 6:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,127
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from fishheadphil

Unfortunately mourinho proves you wrong! Lol. I agree he is a percentage manager, but it gets results most of the time and as I've said before he's got his future to think about. He would probably claim with some justification that the team has progressed again this year and that. We are getting there. I think he's probably correct and that there is a case that the grass is not necessarily greener on the other side. However I can understand people's frustration. How long has he been doing this job and he is still moaning about teams setting up defensively. You might think that after 3 years of seeing this he might have devised a plan to counteract this ploy. But maybe I'm expecting too much.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 47
MuddyWaters
April 12, 2015, 6:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

How long has he been doing this job and he is still moaning about teams setting up defensively. You might think that after 3 years of seeing this he might have devised a plan to counteract this ploy. But maybe I'm expecting too much.....

So he stumbles across a formation that stuffs Gateshead away, Alfreton at home and then looked impressive at Aldershot (till LJL got sent off) and then never uses it again.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 47
BIGChris
April 12, 2015, 6:52pm
Season Ticket Holder
I know nobody, that I am aware of, has said Wrexham parked the bus but they certainly didn't. When they attacked they got plenty of men forward and worked hard to get behind the ball and to press us when they didn't.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 47
KingstonMariner
April 12, 2015, 7:32pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Maybe we could sabotage the pitch at BP so we can play both legs away. Kingfield or Kingsmeadow would be good for the "home" legs  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 47
oldun
April 12, 2015, 8:14pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from grimsby pete
The reason we are better away is because teams attack us and we play better against teams that do that,

At home a lot of teams come for a point or if they do score first they try and hang on to the 3 points,

Most of the time they have managed that because we do not know how to break them down,

We do not have wingers that can beat a man and put the ball on the head or feet of a goal scorer,

Even if we did have those wingers we do not have a goal scorer who can put those chances away.

I hope we win the away leg in the play offs then the team will have to attack us at Blundell Park,

If we lose the away leg then I can not see us getting to Wembley,

However if we do manage to get to Wembley it will be 50/50 whoever we play,

As long as they do not score first and shut up shop.

Do these teams not try to park the bus at Barnet and Bristol then?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 47
ginnywings
April 12, 2015, 8:23pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,097
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from oldun

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 47
forza ivano
April 12, 2015, 9:05pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,127
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from BIGChris
I know nobody, that I am aware of, has said Wrexham parked the bus but they certainly didn't. When they attacked they got plenty of men forward and worked hard to get behind the ball and to press us when they didn't.

He was moaning that our home record was poor because teams repeatedly parked the bus. Sorry but teams from barca, psg, Chelsea, Sheffield u mk Dons, Luton face the same problem. And they seem to find a way round it,yet he seems no further on after three years as to solving the problem
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 47
ginnywings
April 12, 2015, 9:48pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from forza ivano

He was moaning that our home record was poor because teams repeatedly parked the bus. Sorry but teams from barca, psg, Chelsea, Sheffield u mk Dons, Luton face the same problem. And they seem to find a way round it,yet he seems no further on after three years as to solving the problem

Sign better strikers. There you go, easy wasn't it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 47
grimsby pete
April 13, 2015, 11:15am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from oldun

Yes but those teams are better than breaking them down than we are,

Look at their home form.

They are not as good as us away though,

Maybe we should play all our games away.

Should we ground share with the scunts ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 47
oldun
April 14, 2015, 4:33pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from grimsby pete

Yes but those teams are better than breaking them down than we are,

Look at their home form.

They are not as good as us away though,

Maybe we should play all our games away.

Should we ground share with the scunts ?

Clearly they are better at breaking them down. The question is, how do they do that? With the exception of Akinde it is not about strikers, it is more about the midfield in my view and the pace of attacks. It takes us far too long to get the ball into the danger area and we struggle to turn teams round so it is easy for them to defend as the ball is always in front of them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 47
TownSNAFU5
April 14, 2015, 5:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,843
Gold Stars: 42
Hearn usually found ways to score in his good season.

At home, it is about midfielders creating more chances and the strikers then taking them. (And/or the midfielders scoring more goals).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 47
SamTheMariner
April 14, 2015, 5:40pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: -101
A combination of a pacey winger, who can put a cross in. MacKreth. A creative midfielder, someone who can pick a pass. We don't have one of those. A natural born goal scorer. We don't have one of those. Akinde and Lenny upfront would cause teams all sorts of problems. Particularly if we have Mackreth and that illusive midfielder, who can create something out of nothing. Any ideas?

[img]http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/275785/Article/images/18946866/4836403.jpg[/img]

Diz, a leader, a goal scorer, a true pro

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 47
ginnywings
April 14, 2015, 5:52pm

Recovering Alcoholic
The stats say we have had more shots than any other side, so clearly we are getting in the right positions. I just think our strikers should be better, it's that simple. Their shots to goal ratio isn't as good as the other contenders and we also have no-one at the club who can take consistently good set pieces. I'm sure we also lead the league in the amount of corners won but very rarely does anything come of them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 47
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 14, 2015, 9:19pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Yes a decent striker signed last summer would have helped enormously but, a BIG but, even a Hearn would struggle to find too many chances with the midfield Town have. Very rarely the centre of midfield has come together and that's when there have been good team performances like Barnet. Most often centre midfield has been short of ideas, failed to demand the ball from defenders and so failed to make things happen. It doesn't help that the wingers tend to position themselves as auxiliary full backs first and attackers second but there is still not enough creativity in the centre of the park. It is fair to point out that Disley has scored important goals. My answer to that would be that a decent midfield and a good striker would have made his goals a bonus not an essential.

Centre midfield is also one reason why McKeown has been beaten from distance several times. Look at the highlights videos and anyone can see how much space the opposition are given to run at the back four and how slow centre midfield is at getting out of the area when we defend corners. In the games where they have been quick to close down we have looked a decent side but it does not happen often enough.

I'm not picking on individuals because it applies to all the players who have been signed and used there. I don't know what the manager tells them but to me there is no consistent  production line operating in midfield to use the ball when we have it and to block the ball when we don't. His preference to use Parslow in that position as sub even when midfielders were fit and on the bench maybe says something about what the manager wants from his midfield. Wherever we are next season this weakness has to be dealt with by at least two quality signings.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 47
Abdul19
April 14, 2015, 9:25pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,511
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from ginnywings
I'm sure we also lead the league in the amount of corners won but very rarely does anything come of them.

That's not true, I remember Kidderminster scoring from one

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 47
ginnywings
April 14, 2015, 9:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
I don't think the midfield is too much to blame if we are creating more opportunities than any other team. That tells me that our strikers just don't convert enough chances and the stats bear that out. Our main striker has about a dozen goals from open play. It simply isn't enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 47
mariner91
April 14, 2015, 9:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
I don't think the midfield is too much to blame if we are creating more opportunities than any other team. That tells me that our strikers just don't convert enough chances and the stats bear that out. Our main striker has about a dozen goals from open play. It simply isn't enough.

Chances vary though. You can have a relatively easy chance or a half chance, the stats don't show that. Our strikers might be getting lots of half chances and not scoring as opposed to others who may get less but they're easier.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 47
Mrs Doyle
April 14, 2015, 9:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
The set pieces and corners ARE a real concern to me and should be to Hurst I have become used to the fact a corner means very little to us ?? Why should this be don't they practice any routines?

I also think we give player's to much time outside the box to measure up a shot invariably this results in Macca left struggling to deal with it.

I don't like pointing fingers but if a striker needs half a dozen chances before he even gets a effort on goal........................

Say no more.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 47
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 14, 2015, 9:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from ginnywings

I definitely go along with you about the striker business but midfield is where the pace, the creativity and the passion of the game happen. That's what people have been saying is so lacking especially in home games.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 47
Maringer
April 14, 2015, 9:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,393
Gold Stars: 184
I'm always amazed that we don't have a player standing on the edge of the 'D' whenever we are defending corners. Just have a man sitting there and, if it is half-cleared out the middle (as it often is), there's surely a good chance the ball can be further cleared or at the very least any shot from the centre blocked?

As for attacking corners, our delivery tends to be average at very best and too often we fail to beat the first man. Should certainly do a bit better in this respect.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 47
ackomariner
April 14, 2015, 10:53pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
The striker situation was known by hurst in pre season but failed to strike and get one in, so put all his eggs in one basket with LJL and I would say it's not back fired on him but it's not worked out as he might have hoped.

As Ginny said in his post, 12 goals from open play is not good enough for our main striker that's played nearly every minute of every game .

It just makes you wonder what could've been had we had a better main forward that can convert some of the chances that's been created again this season. It's got to be said that we have missed some sitters again this year which has cost us a fair few points again too

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 47
Abdul19
April 14, 2015, 11:02pm

Season Ticket Holder
Bristol Rovers' main striker's got 12 goals in open play this season (although this too, could not be enough)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 47
LH
April 14, 2015, 11:04pm

Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,462
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from Abdul19
Bristol Rovers' main striker's got 12 goals in open play this season (although this too, could not be enough)

Bet he hasn't missed any chances though. Other teams don't miss chances nor do they draw when they should have won etc etc.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 47
ginnywings
April 14, 2015, 11:16pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Abdul19

They've only lost 5 games all season though, so they obviously compensate in other areas, which is why they lead us by 5 points.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 47
chaos33
April 14, 2015, 11:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
They took 52 points from their home games (we acquired 37), whilst gaining only 6 fewer than us away.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 47
Abdul19
April 14, 2015, 11:45pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from ginnywings

They've only lost 5 games all season though, so they obviously compensate in other areas, which is why they lead us by 5 points.

Yes that's what I was getting at.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 47
BIGChris
April 15, 2015, 7:18am
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from chaos33
They took 52 points from their home games (we acquired 37), whilst gaining only 6 fewer than us away.

Wouldn't that put them 9 points clear of us?
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 47
mariner91
April 15, 2015, 7:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

That would put them 9 ahead of us so that isn't correct.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 47
rancido
April 15, 2015, 7:36pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96
Our home form has been our " Achilles Heel " this season. We started the season with 3 draws , 6 points dropped , so we were already playing catch-up on the top spot. Those 6 points alone would have made a world of difference to our position now. Barnet have lost the same number of games as us , 10 , which is a lot for a team that could finish Champions. Unfortunately most of our losses have been at home and that is what has really hurt us in the final reckoning. Even if 3 of those losses could have been converted to draws then things would have looked a lot better. What is really hard to swallow is that some of those home losses were against teams that we should have beaten.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 47
chaos33
April 15, 2015, 7:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

That would put them 9 ahead of us so that isn't correct.

Apologies, 10 points fewer than us on the road.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 47
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Home form

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.