3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
March 24, 2015, 12:19pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
A win tonight puts us three points behind Barnet, but with their goal difference that's effectively four points.

So even if we win tonight, we'll still need to make ground on them in two of the six remaining matches.

Given that, would a draw tonight be a bad result? That'd put us five points behind - but we'd still need to make ground on them in two of the six remaining matches. That much doesn't change.

A win = *effectively* 4 pts behind
A draw = 5 pts behind

So, put simply, whether we win or draw tonight, we still need to win two games that Barnet either draw or lose.

We'd all prefer a win tonight, obviously (form, confidence and the outside chance of overturning that 13-goal difference), but the one thing we can't afford is a defeat.

That's probably not very clear, and I'm sure there's a hole or two in the argument, but hopefully you understand what I'm getting at!!

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
cmackenzie4
March 24, 2015, 12:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
Keep the winning streak going it puts more pressure on Barnet, yes a draw wouldn't be the end of the world but let's fight them all the way!

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
big al
March 24, 2015, 12:25pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +740
Quoted from RichMariner
A win tonight puts us three points behind Barnet, but with their goal difference that's effectively four points.

So even if we win tonight, we'll still need to make ground on them in two of the six remaining matches.

Given that, would a draw tonight be a bad result? That'd put us five points behind - but we'd still need to make ground on them in two of the six remaining matches. That much doesn't change.

A win = *effectively* 4 pts behind
A draw = 5 pts behind

So, put simply, whether we win or draw tonight, we still need to win two games that Barnet either draw or lose.

We'd all prefer a win tonight, obviously (form, confidence and the outside chance of overturning that 13-goal difference), but the one thing we can't afford is a defeat.

That's probably not very clear, and I'm sure there's a hole or two in the argument, but hopefully you understand what I'm getting at!!

I think you're right. I think there are a few more twists and turns left in this story - hopefully ones that favour us. We keep on making the assumption that Barnet are unlikely to mess up in any of their games, especially as they have a relatively easy run in but we all know stranger things have happened in football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 24, 2015, 12:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
I think the pressure is on Barnet if we win tonight.

Very good post

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
ginnywings
March 24, 2015, 12:50pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Play offs almost guaranteed IMO, so may as well go for it and see what happens.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
TownSNAFU5
March 24, 2015, 1:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
We really need 3 points tonight.  We did our "2 points dropped" error at Chester.

We also need 3 points to keep the psychological pressure on the top 2 .  They have more to lose than we do as they both have an excellent chance of finishing in top spot.  We still have the cushion of the play-offs.

The top 2 could have unexpected (poor) results of this pressure.

The top 2 could drop points in a way that a draw tonight is not good enough to overall them.

All to play for.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
Caesar
March 24, 2015, 1:12pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,794
Logic is sound but think the psychological pressure is on Barnet that much more if we get the 3 points tonight.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
moosey_club
March 24, 2015, 1:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Sounds like a Paul Hurst viewpoint to me...not a disaster if we draw....to stand a good chance of the title we need to win every remaining game, end of.
Its ok looking up but a draw keeps teams below us in touching distance also, we need to maintain the pressure not only on Barnet but on the BRovers and Macc too, get them to concede they are only playing for the play off's.
As you say...while mathematically a draw makes little difference over a win on the future results needed to catch Barnet it just gives others something to fight for.

We need to send out a strong message this evening that we are title contenders and try to dent the hopes of the rest of the top 5 while doing so.

UTM.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
Abdul19
March 24, 2015, 1:31pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
A draw is nearer a loss than a win.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
LH
March 24, 2015, 1:32pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
Win every game until the end of the season and we will be promoted whether we win the title or not. Both options are very doable this season in comparison to the last two IMO.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Making up the difference

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.