horsforthmariner
March 11, 2015, 5:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,616
Gold Stars: 9
This is sad to see.
Torquay are a nice little club with good traditions it would be sad to see then go under, hopefully they can't sort themselves - suspect they will go part time, restructure and move forward.

But it does bring into sharp focus the failure of the conference. They don't make decisions to help with the viabilty of professional clubs. Maybe they could split the league into north and south divisions so to save clubs travelling expenses and this would increase the number of local derbies.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 30
Mrs Doyle
March 11, 2015, 11:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Talking about fans traveling costs

I have often thought one reason we get such good traveling army is due to the amount of exiles living away from GY. Lack of any decent employment has had a major impact here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
arryarryarry
March 12, 2015, 12:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Talking about fans traveling costs

I have often thought one reason we get such good traveling army is due to the amount of exiles living away from GY. Lack of any decent employment has had a major impact here.

Is Grimsby much different to anywhere else.

Try visiting other clubs forums, all clubs have so called exiles.  I wasn't born in Grimsby but brought up there and as such my father took me to a game many moons ago and I have missed a handful of home matches since and once I learned to drive go to many of the away games.

I have moved away but only because I was offered a job elsewhere, it had nothing to do with a lack of jobs in Grimsby.

I sometimes think some people are too quick to put a downer on the Town, you want to try living where I live, it is nowhere near as good as Grimsby.

Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
rancido
March 12, 2015, 11:38am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from arryarryarry

Try visiting other clubs forums, all clubs have so called exiles.  I wasn't born in Grimsby but brought up there and as such my father took me to a game many moons ago and I have missed a handful of home matches since and once I learned to drive go to many of the away games.

I have moved away but only because I was offered a job elsewhere, it had nothing to do with a lack of jobs in Grimsby.

I sometimes think some people are too quick to put a downer on the Town, you want to try living where I live, it is nowhere near as good as Grimsby.

I know what you mean but we don't see much evidence of other clubs exiles at BP. Admittedly a lot of these clubs represent smaller towns than Grimsby but even so the away support we see at BP is very low.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 30
lukeo
March 13, 2015, 8:33am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Grimsby is a tougher place to find a job then alot of places due to the amount of people per job available.

On subject though I hope Torquay sort themselves out, nice club and good set of fans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
FishOutOfWater
March 13, 2015, 12:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from arryarryarry

Seconded!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 15 - 30
grimsby pete
March 13, 2015, 1:20pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
I love Grimsby,

BUT

I love living in Suffolk too.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
forza ivano
March 13, 2015, 4:03pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,172
Gold Stars: 265
the view from my local. think i'll stick with this rather than meggies if you don't mind!

http://www.thepilgrimpub.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Beer-garden_Background_Optimised.png
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
arryarryarry
March 13, 2015, 4:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from forza ivano
the view from my local. think i'll stick with this rather than meggies if you don't mind!

http://www.thepilgrimpub.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Beer-garden_Background_Optimised.png

Not bad, but I think that view could be improved, a few hundred wind turbines on that hill would look great, should I have a word with the FGR chairman.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 30
Les Brechin
March 18, 2015, 4:39pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,709
Gold Stars: 174
Not very happy fans after last nights 5-1 home defeat to Braintree.

http://www.offtheoche.blogspot.co.uk/

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Torquay in trouble

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.