Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 11, 2015, 11:28am
Torquay seem to be in serious trouble. Their Chair(wo)man and major backer who has almost single-handedly funded the club for the past few seasons (a bit like John Fenty here I suppose) is due to step down at the end of the season with no new financial backer currently lined up, although they are in talks with a couple of parties, including the Torquay United Supporters Trust.

It just goes to show how quickly things can change. When they won here in September they were in the play-off places and 6 points ahead of us. Now they lie in the bottom half of the table 22 point adrift of us.

I hope they get something sorted out for the fans sake but also because Torquay is a fantastic away trip, although hopefully we won't be playing them next season.

http://www.torquayunited.com/news/article/torquay-united-chairman-to-resign-2327425.aspx
Posted by: acko338, March 11, 2015, 11:44am; Reply: 1
How fragile the one owner regime could be !

Has JF had a full medical lately? - hope he's fit, healthy and wealthy himself for the run in!!

Surely he would want League status before trying to sell up / move on?

The league payment scheme would take some pressure off both team and youth teams - with this current squad and recent results, it's our absolute best chance fo going up this season !
Posted by: psgmariner, March 11, 2015, 11:45am; Reply: 2
Nice timing for a tactical admin. Can't go up and a 10 point deduction won't be enough to see them relegated. Debt free and still in the same league next season.

Surprised Lincoln are not doing it to be honest.
Posted by: Maringer, March 11, 2015, 11:53am; Reply: 3
Don't the Conference usually chuck bankrupt clubs out unceremoniously?
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 11, 2015, 12:54pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Maringer
Don't the Conference usually chuck bankrupt clubs out unceremoniously?

Yeah, The Conference are far, far stricter than the FL when it comes to clubs going into admin. I can't see them going down that route to be fair.
Posted by: psgmariner, March 11, 2015, 1:06pm; Reply: 5
Fair point, they don't seem to put up with proper basket cases (Darlo, Salisbury, Hereford) but if this thing about LCFC owning some properties is true they could enter admin, write off the Co-Op debt, flog the houses, playzone thing and then carry on minus 10 points. Probably easier said than done to be fair!  
Posted by: SamTheMariner, March 11, 2015, 1:11pm; Reply: 6
Lets hope we can sign their best player. Young and Ajala spring to mind.
Posted by: BIGChris, March 11, 2015, 3:36pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from psgmariner
Fair point, they don't seem to put up with proper basket cases (Darlo, Salisbury, Hereford) but if this thing about LCFC owning some properties is true they could enter admin, write off the Co-Op debt, flog the houses, playzone thing and then carry on minus 10 points. Probably easier said than done to be fair!  

Not sure the administrators would let them sell the houses/assets unless that money was used for debt payment (and of course the administrators fees which seem to come first!)
Posted by: jock dock tower, March 11, 2015, 4:39pm; Reply: 8
Maybe they could get Basil Fawlty to sponsor them? "If you don't get promotion I'll thrash you to within an inch of your life!"
Posted by: Cod Cheeks, March 11, 2015, 4:50pm; Reply: 9
[quote=3172]How fragile the one owner regime could be !

Has JF had a full medical lately? - hope he's fit, healthy and wealthy himself for the run in!!

Surely he would want League status before trying to sell up / move on?

Or dare I say it, a sign up of 250 new homes? Quids in, good night Vienna!!
Posted by: horsforthmariner, March 11, 2015, 5:34pm; Reply: 10
This is sad to see.
Torquay are a nice little club with good traditions it would be sad to see then go under, hopefully they can't sort themselves - suspect they will go part time, restructure and move forward.

But it does bring into sharp focus the failure of the conference. They don't make decisions to help with the viabilty of professional clubs. Maybe they could split the league into north and south divisions so to save clubs travelling expenses and this would increase the number of local derbies.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, March 11, 2015, 11:33pm; Reply: 11
Talking about fans traveling costs

I have often thought one reason we get such good traveling army is due to the amount of exiles living away from GY. Lack of any decent employment has had a major impact here.
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 12, 2015, 12:20am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Talking about fans traveling costs

I have often thought one reason we get such good traveling army is due to the amount of exiles living away from GY. Lack of any decent employment has had a major impact here.

Is Grimsby much different to anywhere else.

Try visiting other clubs forums, all clubs have so called exiles.  I wasn't born in Grimsby but brought up there and as such my father took me to a game many moons ago and I have missed a handful of home matches since and once I learned to drive go to many of the away games.

I have moved away but only because I was offered a job elsewhere, it had nothing to do with a lack of jobs in Grimsby.

I sometimes think some people are too quick to put a downer on the Town, you want to try living where I live, it is nowhere near as good as Grimsby.

Posted by: rancido, March 12, 2015, 11:38am; Reply: 13
Quoted from arryarryarry

Try visiting other clubs forums, all clubs have so called exiles.  I wasn't born in Grimsby but brought up there and as such my father took me to a game many moons ago and I have missed a handful of home matches since and once I learned to drive go to many of the away games.

I have moved away but only because I was offered a job elsewhere, it had nothing to do with a lack of jobs in Grimsby.

I sometimes think some people are too quick to put a downer on the Town, you want to try living where I live, it is nowhere near as good as Grimsby.

I know what you mean but we don't see much evidence of other clubs exiles at BP. Admittedly a lot of these clubs represent smaller towns than Grimsby but even so the away support we see at BP is very low.
Posted by: lukeo, March 13, 2015, 8:33am; Reply: 14
Grimsby is a tougher place to find a job then alot of places due to the amount of people per job available.

On subject though I hope Torquay sort themselves out, nice club and good set of fans
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 13, 2015, 12:56pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from arryarryarry

Seconded!  ;)
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 13, 2015, 1:20pm; Reply: 16
I love Grimsby,

BUT

I love living in Suffolk too.
Posted by: forza ivano, March 13, 2015, 4:03pm; Reply: 17
the view from my local. think i'll stick with this rather than meggies if you don't mind!

http://www.thepilgrimpub.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Beer-garden_Background_Optimised.png
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 13, 2015, 4:49pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from forza ivano
the view from my local. think i'll stick with this rather than meggies if you don't mind!

http://www.thepilgrimpub.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Beer-garden_Background_Optimised.png

Not bad, but I think that view could be improved, a few hundred wind turbines on that hill would look great, should I have a word with the FGR chairman.
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 18, 2015, 4:39pm; Reply: 19
Not very happy fans after last nights 5-1 home defeat to Braintree.

http://www.offtheoche.blogspot.co.uk/
Posted by: cmackenzie4, March 18, 2015, 5:15pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from jock dock tower
Maybe they could get Basil Fawlty to sponsor them? "If you don't get promotion I'll thrash you to within an inch of your life!"

And what happens if you don't like duck?  ;D
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 18, 2015, 5:19pm; Reply: 21
I would not be happy if Braintree had scored 5 against us,

Oh!  just a minute .
Posted by: barralad, March 18, 2015, 7:24pm; Reply: 22

Quoted from arryarryarry

I don't think it was putting a downer on the Town. I think a lot of our exiles just don't come back after their terms at university or college because there are no jobs in the areas they are qualified in. That is probably the same for a lot of clubs in similar geographic positions. Like you I go to a lot of away games and, the supporters buses aside (with the regular car travellers) I don't often see people I remember seeing regularly at home games. It has always struck me that out of a large away following that is a lot of exiles. I have at least a dozen mates who live in the South East who go to games within a 50 mile radius of London.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 18, 2015, 9:36pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from barralad

I don't think it was putting a downer on the Town. I think a lot of our exiles just don't come back after their terms at university or college because there are no jobs in the areas they are qualified in. That is probably the same for a lot of clubs in similar geographic positions. Like you I go to a lot of away games and, the supporters buses aside (with the regular car travellers) I don't often see people I remember seeing regularly at home games. It has always struck me that out of a large away following that is a lot of exiles. I have at least a dozen mates who live in the South East who go to games within a 50 mile radius of London.

There is the reverse to that too. Partners daughter moved to Lincoln to do her degree, got a first class honours and decided to stay there but couldn't get a decent job with all the graduates there are to choose from. She moved back here 6 months ago and employers were falling over themselves to acquire her services after registering with some employment agencies.
Posted by: barralad, March 19, 2015, 8:38am; Reply: 24
Quoted from ginnywings

There is the reverse to that too. Partners daughter moved to Lincoln to do her degree, got a first class honours and decided to stay there but couldn't get a decent job with all the graduates there are to choose from. She moved back here 6 months ago and employers were falling over themselves to acquire her services after registering with some employment agencies.

Hopefully that is part of a trend-for the good of the area
Posted by: diehardmariner, March 19, 2015, 9:06am; Reply: 25
Too much blame is put on lack of jobs element for the brain drain from the area.

I returned and stayed in NE Lincs as a post-graduate because of my own personal circumstances.  Had they been different, I'm not sure that in my early 20's that the biggest concern of my next location would be the jobs market.  At that age most are concerned with their lifestyle, quite rightly too.  The majority end up staying in the city they studied.

People leave NE Lincs and don't return because there is far more happening and going on in bigger towns and cities.  Sure there will be a few people who've gone away and decided to not return because they fancy their chances of getting a job in a city.

Way too much negativity about this area when it comes to employment.  There are jobs out there, it's just people aren't prepared to graft for them.  Too many graduates do their three-year course and think they're entitled to walk into a £40k a year salary with benefits.    It doesn't work like that.  My experience was that the degree did you no favours straight off, it was once you had a bit of experience, gained a bit of real knowledge and proved you can actually do the job it was an advantage.

Yes, Grimsby isn't as vibrant as bigger cities with brighter lights.  Yes, there are more jobs in these cities, but there are also more people going for them.  Grimsby is what it is, a medium sized Town at a geographical disadvantage but I can't stand the constant focus on the negatives.  It's also got a hell of a lot going for it.

I hope Torquay get sorted.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 19, 2015, 9:19am; Reply: 26
Quoted from diehardmariner
Too much blame is put on lack of jobs element for the brain drain from the area.

I returned and stayed in NE Lincs as a post-graduate because of my own personal circumstances.  Had they been different, I'm not sure that in my early 20's that the biggest concern of my next location would be the jobs market.  At that age most are concerned with their lifestyle, quite rightly too.  The majority end up staying in the city they studied.

People leave NE Lincs and don't return because there is far more happening and going on in bigger towns and cities.  Sure there will be a few people who've gone away and decided to not return because they fancy their chances of getting a job in a city.

Way too much negativity about this area when it comes to employment.  There are jobs out there, it's just people aren't prepared to graft for them.  Too many graduates do their three-year course and think they're entitled to walk into a £40k a year salary with benefits.    It doesn't work like that.  My experience was that the degree did you no favours straight off, it was once you had a bit of experience, gained a bit of real knowledge and proved you can actually do the job it was an advantage.

Yes, Grimsby isn't as vibrant as bigger cities with brighter lights.  Yes, there are more jobs in these cities, but there are also more people going for them.  Grimsby is what it is, a medium sized Town at a geographical disadvantage but I can't stand the constant focus on the negatives.  It's also got a hell of a lot going for it.

I hope Torquay get sorted.

Yeah, agreed. Partners daughter struggled to get her first job in Lincoln because of a lack of experience, so she took something well below her capability for a year and has now moved back here, where she again took a job below her capabilities for 6 months. She starts her dream job next month and is loving it in Clee.

I think Torquay, despite being one of the prime UK holiday destinations, suffers the same problems we do. There is a lack of good jobs for the young and the house prices are high too.

People get attracted to the South East for the high wages and lifestyle but i think once they settle down with someone and think about starting a family, their priorities change and a move back North looks more appealing.
Posted by: Maringer, March 19, 2015, 9:46am; Reply: 27
Quoted from ginnywings

People get attracted to the South East for the high wages and lifestyle but i think once they settle down with someone and think about starting a family, their priorities change and a move back North looks more appealing.

Yep, quite a lot of my friends moved away and lived down in/near that there London after graduation, but lots of them have since drifted back to the area (or to more northern cities for some of them) to settle down and start a family.

That said, Cleethorpes was a cracking good night out back when I was in my twenties and me and my mates often visited friends for weekends in Nottingham, Leeds and Manchester back then as well, so we didn't miss out much on too many of the 'amenities' cities can provide! Not sure it is the same for youngsters these days, not least because they don't have as much disposable income as us due to the ridiculous situation in the housing market.

It's not very exciting in NE Lincs, but you are next to the sea so the air is clear and house prices (though enormously inflated) are cheap compared to many areas of the country. Just a pity that we're on the end of the line a bit and don't have any really booming industry to bring a lot more money and better jobs into the region.
Posted by: supertown, March 19, 2015, 10:22am; Reply: 28
Quoted from forza ivano

I can see room for a stadium there  ;)
Posted by: BIGChris, March 19, 2015, 11:15am; Reply: 29
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah, agreed. Partners daughter struggled to get her first job in Lincoln because of a lack of experience, so she took something well below her capability for a year and has now moved back here, where she again took a job below her capabilities for 6 months. She starts her dream job next month and is loving it in Clee.

I think Torquay, despite being one of the prime UK holiday destinations, suffers the same problems we do. There is a lack of good jobs for the young and the house prices are high too.

I spent the best part of 20 years in the South East but once the kids came along it became more difficult to get decent housing which in turn meant moving further away with a long commute. I have now been back 20 years and the eldest is now in London. Even harder to see how he can get on the property ladder despite a salary in excess of  £60kpa
Posted by: forza ivano, March 19, 2015, 9:07pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from supertown

I can see room for a stadium there  ;)

Nooooooo! I like my peace and quiet. The only traffic jam we get here is when the sheep are herded through the village up to the summer pasture
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 11:14pm