Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How do you do it?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 273 Guests

How do you do it?

This thread currently has 4,709 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
oldun
March 3, 2015, 3:27pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I am constantly amazed at the details of games which some on here seem to remember. Me, I have great difficulty remembering who scored a couple of home games ago. Some of you folks can remember facts and incidents from obscure games from way back. What is the secret, how do you do that?
Logged Offline
Private Message
arryarryarry
March 3, 2015, 3:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Usually under the covers with the light off.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 31
grimsby pete
March 3, 2015, 3:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
I can not remember a few games ago either,

BUT

Ask me what happened in the 60's and Its right there,

There is a word for this,

BUT

I can not remember what it is.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 31
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 3, 2015, 3:39pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from oldun
I am constantly amazed at the details of games which some on here seem to remember. Me, I have great difficulty remembering who scored a couple of home games ago. Some of you folks can remember facts and incidents from obscure games from way back. What is the secret, how do you do that?

I have that problem too!

I think if we are realistic about looking back, for me anyway, there are scores of incidents and goals that stuck in my mind in vivid detail but they took place in hundreds of games that I watched in different places. So as a percentage, the actual memories I can bring to mind from all those games is quite small. That means there's not a lot going to stick in the memory from the past few seasons and if it does it won't be a particularly happy memory in any case! That's my theory anyway.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 31
pizzzza
March 3, 2015, 3:56pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from oldun

No doubt there are some which look it up on the internet before they post and then claim they are some sort of statto when they do.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 31
excusebeef
March 3, 2015, 4:01pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +296
I remember all of the 98/99 season, it was my first year as a town fan and loved every match. I guess when you enjoy it and the team are doing well then it sticks. Funny I remember the first half of the opening Mike Newell season against Cheltenham. The second half of that game and subsequently the rest of that season have been eradicated from my mind
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 31
Les Brechin
March 3, 2015, 4:36pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,693
Gold Stars: 174
There are certain things that just stick in the mind but I must admit that Google and The Fishy results database are very handy tools.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 31
TownSNAFU5
March 3, 2015, 4:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,860
Gold Stars: 42
Memory comes with interest. Key Town games are etched into the memory.

I am sure that most footy fans can remember many of the football scores on a Sat night (after hearing the results once).  

On the other hand, what man can remember what his wife or girlfriend asked him to do 5 mins before?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 31
gaz57
March 3, 2015, 4:48pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +993
Gold Stars: 3
I went to a lot of away games in days gone by and had many great memories. It seemed to be easy to remember those more than the home games because an away day was a big event.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 31
diehardmariner
March 3, 2015, 5:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,428
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from excusebeef
I remember all of the 98/99 season, it was my first year as a town fan and loved every match. I guess when you enjoy it and the team are doing well then it sticks. Funny I remember the first half of the opening Mike Newell season against Cheltenham. The second half of that game and subsequently the rest of that season have been eradicated from my mind

This.

The benefit of supporting Town over the last couple of decades is that with so many lows you wish to forget, you free up so much memory space to remember the sparse good times.  

Bar Slade's second season, I've a really poor memory of anything Town related since about 2001.   Groves scored against Fulham on the final day....Jevons against Barnsley.....Reddy....Connell....Hearn......few Lincoln wins....nah, that's it.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 31
FishOutOfWater
March 3, 2015, 5:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Yeah agree to some extent about away games staying with you gaz57, but some things just stick with me because it was all about that one moment in time that had some special significance

I can remember things with games I never even went to ( a result on News at Ten, Ceefax / Teletext etc) but as a kid I soaked up anything and everything Town like a sponge, so once it went in, all that's needed is some kind of trigger to recall it in later life
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 31
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 3, 2015, 5:14pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from gaz57
I went to a lot of away games in days gone by and had many great memories. It seemed to be easy to remember those more than the home games because an away day was a big event.

Agree with that. It's the occasion as much if not more than the game itself. I remember a great day out at Maine Road even though it was a crap game and we lost. Another one that sticks is Rotherham at Millmoor. Haven't a clue about the game but can remember every brick I dodged on the way out!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 31
grimsby pete
March 3, 2015, 5:29pm

Exile
I can remember when the football scores for that evening,

Were always read on News At Ten.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 31
Garth
March 3, 2015, 5:40pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from oldun

Same here, although I remember the great moments Wilkies goal at Everton,  Jevons at Liverpool, Newell`s explanation of his black eye at a forum one night as being the result of running into a piece of farm machinery whilst chasing his kid I think

These days I go to the garage to fetch something and when I get there I`ve forgot what I was going for
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 31
lobsterpot
March 3, 2015, 6:23pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +18 / -2
Approval: +742
Gold Stars: 15
It's weird that 1 of the stand out memories with alot of town fans from the last 20 years is Chima's goal at Tranmere. I have never seen it since and only ever seen photos of him banging it in. Let's face it, on the night, we were $hite, Chima was $hite, and we got hammered in the mickey mouse cup so why oh why do we think back to these nights? I bought a signed diadora footy last week and the attraction was Chima's autograph!

" YOU ALWAYS SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS, SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS........"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 31
cmackenzie4
March 3, 2015, 6:29pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
I can't even remember last Saturday's game! . Seriously though I'm the same as I can only remember a handful of games I remember the Wembley games,  the Liverpool away game and another couple of games that stick in my memory are the West Ham game in 1981 & Plymouth away game I went to in the early 90s when I was in the Royal Navy.

The rest is a blare!  

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 31
Marinerz93
March 3, 2015, 6:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
I used to buy the video's, some of which I still have!

Remembering Town games from yesteryear is mainly due to us beating big clubs or giving anyone who came to BP a torrid time.

A small collection of Town books also goes some way to bring back the good old days.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 31
KingstonMariner
March 3, 2015, 8:07pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from lobsterpot
It's weird that 1 of the stand out memories with alot of town fans from the last 20 years is Chima's goal at Tranmere. I have never seen it since and only ever seen photos of him banging it in. Let's face it, on the night, we were $hite, Chima was $hite, and we got hammered in the mickey mouse cup so why oh why do we think back to these nights? I bought a signed diadora footy last week and the attraction was Chima's autograph!

I remember reading the results in the papers next morning (pre-internet days) and wondering who this Irish lad was we'd signed:

Tranmere R 4 (Nevin, Nevin, Aldridge, Nevin*) Grimsby T 1 (O'Korie)

* probably those two bagged a couple or more

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 31
Tinymariner
March 4, 2015, 12:07am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
I remember certain games too, and specific moments from games dating back to the late 70's even the likes of the guy who use to act like Norman Wisdom up and down the front of the Ponny and Osmand when we were housed in there for a while.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 31
grimps
March 4, 2015, 8:07am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,096
Gold Stars: 46
A couple that stand out for me that I believe set up the success of the Buckley era was the Cockerill goal from a corner against Wolves in the cup 1988 and the next round when a Rotherham defender , Russel I think ?? Scroed a fantastic lob own goal to set us on are way on one of our most famous cup runs.
That cup run really kick started Buckleys team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 31
Les Brechin
March 4, 2015, 8:24am

One of the games that really sticks in my memory is when we beat Wolves 5-1 in 1984 when Tommy Docherty was their manager.

Tim Flowers was in goal for them and he was beaten by a cracking own goal from one of their players (Barnes I think his name was) who lobbed him from about 35 yards out with Fordy breathing down his neck. Fordy was superb that day and deserved the 5th and final goal.

The game was shown on The Big Match the following day and I remember John Helm interviewing Docherty after the match and him describing Town as "Very, very ordinary".

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 31
arryarryarry
March 4, 2015, 9:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Always remember the great results and the crap ones as well.

It helps having the old highlight VHS videos and DVDs
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
grimsby pete
March 4, 2015, 11:30am

Exile
Quoted from Les Brechin
One of the games that really sticks in my memory is when we beat Wolves 5-1 in 1984 when Tommy Docherty was their manager.

Tim Flowers was in goal for them and he was beaten by a cracking own goal from one of their players (Barnes I think his name was) who lobbed him from about 35 yards out with Fordy breathing down his neck. Fordy was superb that day and deserved the 5th and final goal.

The game was shown on The Big Match the following day and I remember John Helm interviewing Docherty after the match and him describing Town as "Very, very ordinary".

Yes I remember that game like it was yesterday,I was in the Ponny and it was rocking,

We had Wilkinson and Lund starting up front,

Drinkell had an injury and missed a couple of games could only start on the bench,

He came on in the 2nd half and scored,

We had the best strikers in the league ( now championship ) that season.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 31
KingstonMariner
March 4, 2015, 1:23pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I remember that Wolves game. Missed the first goal as I was late getting in the ground. And remember the sour grapes from Doherty.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
Les Brechin
March 4, 2015, 4:03pm

The own goal was closer than I thought it was.

[youtube]iMeBuyGYKAs[/youtube]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 31
arryarryarry
March 4, 2015, 5:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry
Usually under the covers with the light off.

I see the wife has red crossed me.

Private Message
Reply: 25 - 31
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 4, 2015, 10:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from lobsterpot

And you got the match ball for your 40th. Well, that's the match I was told it was from

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 31
GYinScuntland
March 5, 2015, 12:15am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from Les Brechin

That own goal and final score has stayed with me for years. I very nearly didn't go as worked on the Scunt steelworks and was in the middle of a load of double shifts.
Those were the days when we actually said things like "Don't know if I'm off, it's only Wolves anyhow"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 31
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 5, 2015, 5:56am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
I think everyone remembers the bigger games, the cup matches etc but there's certain games remembered for certain reasons I guess. I remember a game at home v Peterborough when we drew 0-0 on a Tuesday night (circa April 1990). Probably the loudest I remember the pontoon singing when it was standing. Was also my first Tuesday night game so that might have had something to do with it

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 31
Freemoash88
March 5, 2015, 6:46am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +893
Gold Stars: 2
I'm only 26 and been following Mariners since the age of 6. But I can remember all the inns and outs and not just our team but majority of others too. i'd say tho it all started when I started taking football and Grimsby serious from 1998.

I would also like to add that Championship Manager and Football Manager have helped at times lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 31
barralad
March 5, 2015, 8:18am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Les Brechin
The own goal was closer than I thought it was.

[youtube]iMeBuyGYKAs[/youtube]

Two things struck me about that:-
The seeming lack of Wolves fans at the game-penned in the corner of the Osmond.
The number of Town fans who used to stand in the open corners.

Re the former-Does seating make it look as though there are loads more there?

As far as memory goes I remember reading something which said that schooldays are the most important because that is the age when the human mind is most receptive to taking in large amounts of information. As a regular listener to "Pick of the Pops" with Fluff Freeman on a Sunday night I can find myself singing(?) along on the radio-word perfect to songs from the 70s (yesterday it was Bowie's "Drive-in Saturday" from 1973) but struggle with words from much more recent songs. On a football basis I seem to be able to remember games from my first few seasons yet couldn't remember us even playing Havant and Waterlooville a couple of seasons ago.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 31
Les Brechin
March 5, 2015, 9:19am

Quoted from barralad

Two things struck me about that:-
The seeming lack of Wolves fans at the game-penned in the corner of the Osmond.
The number of Town fans who used to stand in the open corners.

Re the former-Does seating make it look as though there are loads more there?

As far as memory goes I remember reading something which said that schooldays are the most important because that is the age when the human mind is most receptive to taking in large amounts of information. As a regular listener to "Pick of the Pops" with Fluff Freeman on a Sunday night I can find myself singing(?) along on the radio-word perfect to songs from the 70s (yesterday it was Bowie's "Drive-in Saturday" from 1973) but struggle with words from much more recent songs. On a football basis I seem to be able to remember games from my first few seasons yet couldn't remember us even playing Havant and Waterlooville a couple of seasons ago.

The lack of Wolves fans was probably due to the fact that they were going through some serious problems and they were relegated from Division One to Division Four in consecutive seasons. I think Bristol City had done something similar a couple of seasons earlier.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 31
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How do you do it?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.