Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How do you do it?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 285 Guests

How do you do it?

This thread currently has 4,708 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
March 4, 2015, 8:24am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,693
Gold Stars: 174
One of the games that really sticks in my memory is when we beat Wolves 5-1 in 1984 when Tommy Docherty was their manager.

Tim Flowers was in goal for them and he was beaten by a cracking own goal from one of their players (Barnes I think his name was) who lobbed him from about 35 yards out with Fordy breathing down his neck. Fordy was superb that day and deserved the 5th and final goal.

The game was shown on The Big Match the following day and I remember John Helm interviewing Docherty after the match and him describing Town as "Very, very ordinary".

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 31
arryarryarry
March 4, 2015, 9:25am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Always remember the great results and the crap ones as well.

It helps having the old highlight VHS videos and DVDs
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
grimsby pete
March 4, 2015, 11:30am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Les Brechin
One of the games that really sticks in my memory is when we beat Wolves 5-1 in 1984 when Tommy Docherty was their manager.

Tim Flowers was in goal for them and he was beaten by a cracking own goal from one of their players (Barnes I think his name was) who lobbed him from about 35 yards out with Fordy breathing down his neck. Fordy was superb that day and deserved the 5th and final goal.

The game was shown on The Big Match the following day and I remember John Helm interviewing Docherty after the match and him describing Town as "Very, very ordinary".

Yes I remember that game like it was yesterday,I was in the Ponny and it was rocking,

We had Wilkinson and Lund starting up front,

Drinkell had an injury and missed a couple of games could only start on the bench,

He came on in the 2nd half and scored,

We had the best strikers in the league ( now championship ) that season.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 31
KingstonMariner
March 4, 2015, 1:23pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I remember that Wolves game. Missed the first goal as I was late getting in the ground. And remember the sour grapes from Doherty.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
Les Brechin
March 4, 2015, 4:03pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,693
Gold Stars: 174
The own goal was closer than I thought it was.

[youtube]iMeBuyGYKAs[/youtube]

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 31
arryarryarry
March 4, 2015, 5:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from arryarryarry
Usually under the covers with the light off.

I see the wife has red crossed me.

Private Message
Reply: 25 - 31
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 4, 2015, 10:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from lobsterpot
It's weird that 1 of the stand out memories with alot of town fans from the last 20 years is Chima's goal at Tranmere. I have never seen it since and only ever seen photos of him banging it in. Let's face it, on the night, we were $hite, Chima was $hite, and we got hammered in the mickey mouse cup so why oh why do we think back to these nights? I bought a signed diadora footy last week and the attraction was Chima's autograph!

And you got the match ball for your 40th. Well, that's the match I was told it was from

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 31
GYinScuntland
March 5, 2015, 12:15am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from Les Brechin

That own goal and final score has stayed with me for years. I very nearly didn't go as worked on the Scunt steelworks and was in the middle of a load of double shifts.
Those were the days when we actually said things like "Don't know if I'm off, it's only Wolves anyhow"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 31
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 5, 2015, 5:56am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
I think everyone remembers the bigger games, the cup matches etc but there's certain games remembered for certain reasons I guess. I remember a game at home v Peterborough when we drew 0-0 on a Tuesday night (circa April 1990). Probably the loudest I remember the pontoon singing when it was standing. Was also my first Tuesday night game so that might have had something to do with it

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 31
Freemoash88
March 5, 2015, 6:46am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +893
Gold Stars: 2
I'm only 26 and been following Mariners since the age of 6. But I can remember all the inns and outs and not just our team but majority of others too. i'd say tho it all started when I started taking football and Grimsby serious from 1998.

I would also like to add that Championship Manager and Football Manager have helped at times lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How do you do it?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.