Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back..
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 355 Guests

Just back..

This thread currently has 9,095 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
mrsd
March 1, 2015, 12:19am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +144
Highlights from the game Shaun's surging run and the Magnay/Disley combination for the goal, other than that it was pretty poor. 3 points though so I am not complaining....well only about that clown with the whistle!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 47
Jaws
March 1, 2015, 12:19am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Regarding the referee (John Brooks). I was surprised to see he's more commonly a linesman and has officiated in the Premier League - it was him who told Lescott to thank the fans who had paid £62 and got suspended. He's just qualified to be a lino in the Champions League - but made the step-up to being a ref in the Conference this season. Seems odd how he can be a lino at the top of the club game but be a ref down here, and a poor one at that.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 47
moosey_club
March 1, 2015, 9:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Jaws
Regarding the referee (John Brooks). I was surprised to see he's more commonly a linesman and has officiated in the Premier League - it was him who told Lescott to thank the fans who had paid £62 and got suspended. He's just qualified to be a lino in the Champions League - but made the step-up to being a ref in the Conference this season. Seems odd how he can be a lino at the top of the club game but be a ref down here, and a poor one at that.

I thought the ref as poor but inconsistently poor, not sure if he has a disability of some sort but it appeared to me that he could only point one way and most of the free kicks he gave were for the team attacking the pontoon, first half they got the majority second half we did.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 47
bradzmilne
March 1, 2015, 9:30am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,359
Gold Stars: 29
First half was crying out for one of our CMs to grab the game by the scruff of its neck. Absolutely crying out for one, for the positives of Disley and Clay neither are players that will almost pull the whole team forward. For that reason, for me Brown has to come back into the team for the Woking game.
It was quite odd, in the sense that Braintree never really had a go at us especially considering we scored relatively early in the second half you'd expect that the game would open up but Braintree never really had a go at us. Totally not the case, which if i was a Braintree fan i'd be absolutely fuming about because I thought we looked really up for the taking yesterday.
One bit of class from Magnay and Disley won us the game today, doesn't matter if you win 1-0 or 10-0. 3 Points on the board and potentially 3 points closer to getting out of this league.
UTM

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 47
MeanwoodMariner
March 1, 2015, 9:41am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from bradzmilne

It was quite odd, in the sense that Braintree never really had a go at us especially considering we scored relatively early in the second half you'd expect that the game would open up but Braintree never really had a go at us. Totally not the case, which if i was a Braintree fan i'd be absolutely fuming about

I had to rely on commentary but this was very much the sense I got, similarly with the Telford game. It sounded like a pretty poor Town display but I think the opponents lack of interest in having a go themselves must surely play a part in that. Any team can make it tough if their only aim is to not concede, even when 1-0 down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 47
BIGChris
March 1, 2015, 10:01am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from bradzmilne
First half was crying out for one of our CMs to grab the game by the scruff of its neck. Absolutely crying out for one, for the positives of Disley and Clay neither are players that will almost pull the whole team forward. For that reason, for me Brown has to come back into the team for the Woking game.

UTM

The issue was they had 3 central midfielders up against Disley & Clay. We often struggle when a team plays 4-5-1 against our 4-4-2. Movement and width especially from our full backs can nullify it but our full backs are not really attacking ones who get up and stretch the game.

Some say we shouldn't worry about what the opposition do and just play our own game, I agree we shouldn't worry & we need to adapt but in the modern game attacking full backs are key. We have two of the strongest defenders but we do lack when teams set up 4-5-1.

For most of the game we had 4 defenders against their one striker, therefore were outnumbered in midfield
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 47
Maringer
March 1, 2015, 10:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
We were truly dismal yesterday and just sneaked the win but played some pretty good stuff at times against Telford (mostly in the first half) without tearing up any trees and should have won much more comfortably. If the radio commentary indicated we were poor throughout the game on Tuesday, then you've been given the wrong impression.

Braintree were a much, much better team than Telford. Which wouldn't be hard, admittedly.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 47
rancido
March 1, 2015, 11:33am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,447
Gold Stars: 91
For what it's worth, considering we had 3 of the forward line ( Pitman , Arnold and Makreth ) very much underperforming , then it was a decent result. Pitman should have been replaced after 60 mins but PH decided to stick with him which is typical of his cautious approach. I don't disagree with his decision to bring on Parslow to shore up the mid-field in the closing stages but if you are going to lay a lone striker to hold up the ball then I would rather it was LJL than Pitman. Pitman was static for most of the game and although LJL didn't play at his best he was well controlled by their centre-backs. At least it's another 3 points and that is the priority at this stage of the season.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back..

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.