9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Rodley Mariner
February 19, 2015, 8:42am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
I'd guess the vast majority who oppose a new ground don't support the club so are unlikely to care what our esteemed non-chairman does. Absolutely agree with Ska Face that we should be trying to paint positives for the community. It's very easy to argue why the Town doesn't need a new football ground but it would be a lot harder to argue that it doesn't need jobs creating, new leisure facilities, improved infra-structure.

What's absolutely certain is that labelling objections 'poppycock' and making this a battle between two sides will win nobody over. In fact it'll have the opposite effect and entrench views further. I suspect in Mr. Fenty's business that threats and ultimatums could be issued and minions would have to fall in line but that isn't going to work with this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 87
cleethorpes_mariner
February 19, 2015, 9:22am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +313
Quoted from horsforthmariner
Fenty needs to frame the stadium in terms of:

Jobs
Economic boost to the town
Tourism
Putting Grimsby on the map
Proving excellent facilities for the next generation

Not his bank balance

This has been done and got us nowhere
De Freitas  says the new ground will have such an impact on both leisure centres, Bradley and King George that they will all go bust.( latest leaflet he is putting out)
I don't disagree we need to shout about all the positives the new COMUNITY stadium will bring but we do also need to say what the impact will be if we don't as well.
It pisses me off that allot on here are quicker to pull JF down for his efforts than they are to offer their help in getting it right.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 87
grimsby pete
February 19, 2015, 9:55am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Agree the club has to get the point across that the new stadium will benefit the club ,

BUT

Will also benefit the Peaks Parkway residents by supplying new jobs , new shopping outlets and new sport facilities for them and the town.

Lets start talking about the other things the stadium will bring to the area apart from the much needed ground.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 87
MuddyWaters
February 19, 2015, 9:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235

It pisses me off that allot on here are quicker to pull JF down for his efforts than they are to offer their help in getting it right.

That might be a little easier if his other efforts (relegations, debt, Mike Parker, Radio Humberside etc) hadn't been quite so calamitous.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 87
lew chaterleys lover
February 19, 2015, 10:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ska face
This bloke is absolutely killing me, I can't take it anymore.

I don't want to be overly critical, but this post might sound like I am being - so if you're one of those who won't hear a bad word said against him, then just stop reading now.

The problem here, and pretty much throughout this entire process, is that I'm yet to hear a single, quality, succinct statement on how this development will benefit the community. That's coming from someone who is on this board almost daily, follows the club religiously, reads & listens to almost everything that comes out of the club - so how the frig is Joe Bloggs going to know why they should support a new development? I know the club haven't decided on specifics yet, but again we keep hearing this "community" term bandied about without any explanation on how this will benefit the community. It's pretty basic.

The Look North piece was probably the biggest & best opportunity the club had to showcase the benefits of the development to hundreds of thousands of people. What happened? Fenty allowed, and pretty much encouraged, it to become a "discussion" (read "massive whinge") about his funding of the club and the possible negative implications of the development not going ahead. This bloke's supposed to be a politician, is he not? How the intercourse has he allowed that to happen? Now, I don't think anyone's expecting him to have delivered a performance straight from the Alastair Campbell school of spin, but Peter Levy is hardly Jeremy Paxman - would it really have been so difficult to...I dunno.... not let an interview designed to promote a development descend into a argument about how copulated we're going to be if/when everything goes to excrement and he is forced to leave?

The whole campaign is being run from the wrong angle, seemingly. Almost everything I've seen has been Fenty/the club pitting objectors / complainers / NIMBYs / etc. against the club's supporters, in some kind of fire-fighting excercise where people are expected pick through objections point-by-point and argue the case for the club. The YouTube video posted above demonstrates this perfectly. The entire issue is being framed as a problem, and the club are allowing this to continue by engaging objectors on their terms. There is a real need to reframe the issue as a positive for the community (by demonstrating some benefit, as mentioned above) and engage with people through a more positive context. Again, it's fairly basic stuff that anyone who works in PR/Comms would be able to help with & make a positive impact with in a matter of minutes, but we're content in sending out a man whose name is mud even with the people who have the most reason to like him!

There's a popular phrase used throughout politics - "if you're explaining, you're losing". That's what the club doing at the minute, and they're losing badly. You know why De Freitas and others are able to get away with the statements they're putting out in leaflets & promo material? It's because they've been able to build on the strength of (certain) public opinion & tap into the fears and concerns of the local population using a small number of statements and comments that, though not 100% accurate, mean a lot to people. It's all well & good saying that the development will be 850m away from the hospice, or 400m from the crem, but people would be less arsed about that if they had some sort of idea about how the stadium would benefit them directly. Change the general view of the development and you'll not only spend less time fighting a battle in enemy territory, you'll also put more strength behind the statements that you do make when addressing specific issues (such as transporting fans from the station).

I do agree with you, but I get the feeling we haven't heard anything positive is because he doesn't really know himself! I think he thought the word "community" should do the trick and then, well nothing. It is obvious to everyone surely that this is the chance for getting his loans back, and the lack of conviction implies that to me.

Private Message
Reply: 34 - 87
MuddyWaters
February 19, 2015, 10:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235

I do agree with you, but I get the feeling we haven't heard anything positive is because he doesn't really know himself! I think he thought the word "community" should do the trick and then, well nothing. It is obvious to everyone surely that this is the chance for getting his loans back, and the lack of conviction implies that to me.

Would love to see us in a newer, better, more appropriate stadium but would be far happier watch league football at Blundell Park this August. Sadly, I don't expect either.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 87
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 19, 2015, 10:59am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from ska face
This bloke is absolutely killing me, I can't take it anymore.

I don't want to be overly critical, but this post might sound like I am being - so if you're one of those who won't hear a bad word said against him, then just stop reading now.

The problem here, and pretty much throughout this entire process, is that I'm yet to hear a single, quality, succinct statement on how this development will benefit the community. That's coming from someone who is on this board almost daily, follows the club religiously, reads & listens to almost everything that comes out of the club - so how the frig is Joe Bloggs going to know why they should support a new development? I know the club haven't decided on specifics yet, but again we keep hearing this "community" term bandied about without any explanation on how this will benefit the community. It's pretty basic.

The Look North piece was probably the biggest & best opportunity the club had to showcase the benefits of the development to hundreds of thousands of people. What happened? Fenty allowed, and pretty much encouraged, it to become a "discussion" (read "massive whinge") about his funding of the club and the possible negative implications of the development not going ahead. This bloke's supposed to be a politician, is he not? How the intercourse has he allowed that to happen? Now, I don't think anyone's expecting him to have delivered a performance straight from the Alastair Campbell school of spin, but Peter Levy is hardly Jeremy Paxman - would it really have been so difficult to...I dunno.... not let an interview designed to promote a development descend into a argument about how copulated we're going to be if/when everything goes to excrement and he is forced to leave?

The whole campaign is being run from the wrong angle, seemingly. Almost everything I've seen has been Fenty/the club pitting objectors / complainers / NIMBYs / etc. against the club's supporters, in some kind of fire-fighting excercise where people are expected pick through objections point-by-point and argue the case for the club. The YouTube video posted above demonstrates this perfectly. The entire issue is being framed as a problem, and the club are allowing this to continue by engaging objectors on their terms. There is a real need to reframe the issue as a positive for the community (by demonstrating some benefit, as mentioned above) and engage with people through a more positive context. Again, it's fairly basic stuff that anyone who works in PR/Comms would be able to help with & make a positive impact with in a matter of minutes, but we're content in sending out a man whose name is mud even with the people who have the most reason to like him!

There's a popular phrase used throughout politics - "if you're explaining, you're losing". That's what the club doing at the minute, and they're losing badly. You know why De Freitas and others are able to get away with the statements they're putting out in leaflets & promo material? It's because they've been able to build on the strength of (certain) public opinion & tap into the fears and concerns of the local population using a small number of statements and comments that, though not 100% accurate, mean a lot to people. It's all well & good saying that the development will be 850m away from the hospice, or 400m from the crem, but people would be less arsed about that if they had some sort of idea about how the stadium would benefit them directly. Change the general view of the development and you'll not only spend less time fighting a battle in enemy territory, you'll also put more strength behind the statements that you do make when addressing specific issues (such as transporting fans from the station).

Come on, let's be honest. The stadium benefits the club. All else is eyewash. Community? There's loads of community facilities in this town and everyone with half a brain realises you don't actually need a bloody big stadium if you want some more community facilities. That's why he's struggling. There is nothing in this for the locals and very little in it for the town as a whole. The only plus point that makes sense is that symbolic 'shows the town is in the 21st century and forward looking' mantra. But again, there is massively more benefit for the town as a whole in us getting promotion and doing a surge up the leagues than building a stadium. Look how Cambridge will have benefitted this year.

Now, I am very much in favour of a new ground but I'm also old enough to know that politicians don't pick a fight for the sake of it. JF is not lying but he is not telling the whole truth about the links with property developers and that is really what is getting people opposed to him. The objections in the GT are real but they are minor. The major objection is that the new ground will be eventually sit like BP in the middle of a residential area in another five or ten years time. It will be surrounded by houses and if the aim of league status is achieved and gates go to 5/6/7000 then congestion will be terrible and the allocated parking overrun. Apart from being concrete it will be as bad as BP.

So in a way you could say JF is being subtle or at least politically savvy, concentrating on the mini-problems and keeping quiet on the real issue which remains under wraps until the council unveils the contracts for the hundreds and thousands of houses. He hopes to get the support in place for the stadium before that happens because he knows what a controversy that will be.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 87
psgmariner
February 19, 2015, 11:12am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
I still don't understand the maths.

We sell Blundell Park and get what £500k or £1 million at best.

The new Rotherham stadium cost £20 million (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Stadium). Surely ours will cost less than this so let's be generous and say £10 million.

How does this result in Fenty getting his money back and GTFC cementing its long term financial future.

Before anyone says it you don't make a million quid a year out of a couple of conference rooms.

Private Message
Reply: 37 - 87
horsforthmariner
February 19, 2015, 11:23am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,610
Gold Stars: 9

This has been done and got us nowhere
De Freitas  says the new ground will have such an impact on both leisure centres, Bradley and King George that they will all go bust.( latest leaflet he is putting out)
I don't disagree we need to shout about all the positives the new COMUNITY stadium will bring but we do also need to say what the impact will be if we don't as well.

I'm not a fenty hater but he is bloomin terrible at PR and for  politician he isn't very politically  savvy. My point is businesses don't win planning consent by saying there company will suffer if they don't get it. If for example Youngs wanted to build a new fish factory they wouldn't sell the scheme by telling everyone that Youngs was in financial danger they would talk about the benefits brought to the town in terms of  jobs and new business. Why should GTFC be any different?

The interview was poor because he concentrated on the negatives rather than selling a positive vision. I know John must be incredibly frustrated because most councils go out of there way to help their football clubs but he just needs to get over that take a deep breath and concentrating on selling the scheme in a positive way.

I don't have a problem with the youtube video pointing out inaccuracies of the Defreitas leaflets. But he then made a party political point scoring point which undermined his case. There does need to be a dedicated website for the new ground which has case studies about how new stadiums have helped local towns, rebuts the sillyness and has news about how people can get involved.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 87
MeanwoodMariner
February 19, 2015, 11:30am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from psgmariner
I still don't understand the maths.

We sell Blundell Park and get what £500k or £1 million at best.

The new Rotherham stadium cost £20 million (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Stadium). Surely ours will cost less than this so let's be generous and say £10 million.

How does this result in Fenty getting his money back and GTFC cementing its long term financial future.

Before anyone says it you don't make a million quid a year out of a couple of conference rooms.

I think there will be at least 4 conference rooms.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 87
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mr Fenty on Look North

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.