Mrs Doyle
February 14, 2015, 9:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from grimsby pete

It's a good job we are better away,

Otherwise we would be getting relegation blues.

Spot on Pete I just can not understand why we are so rubbish  at home we are perceived as a big club in this league with a large home crowd yet teams come here fearless???

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 33
ginnywings
February 14, 2015, 10:21pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,119
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Spot on Pete I just can not understand why we are so rubbish  at home we are perceived as a big club in this league with a large home crowd yet teams come here fearless???

Because they size us up for 20 mins, then realise we have nothing to scare them. The old mantra of away performances, keep it tight for 20 mins, silence the crowd (not difficult) then go to work. Seen it time and again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
February 14, 2015, 10:59pm
Guest User
The annoying thing is that everyone at the club could see that the problem was scoring goals last season.  Hurst has had time to address this and had the majority of pre season to find his man which he clearly didn't do.  He then fed us this b0llocks about that we have to be patient and wait for the right man to come along but sadly we decided to wait till January when the title was all but over. Centre midfield is too static when Disley and Clay are in there and we have to have Brown in there for his energy. To many basic problems for me which should have been addressed in pre season. After looking certainties for the play-offs I am starting to look behind us and starting to get worried that we wont even enter the lottery.
Reply: 22 - 33
promotion plaice
February 14, 2015, 11:08pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,049
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from 1739
The annoying thing is that everyone at the club could see that the problem was scoring goals last season.  Hurst has had time to address this and had the majority of pre season to find his man which he clearly didn't do.  He then fed us this b0llocks about that we have to be patient and wait for the right man to come along but sadly we decided to wait till January when the title was all but over. Centre midfield is too static when Disley and Clay are in there and we have to have Brown in there for his energy. To many basic problems for me which should have been addressed in pre season. After looking certainties for the play-offs I am starting to look behind us and starting to get worried that we wont even enter the lottery.

Best post for me for months

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
February 14, 2015, 11:44pm
Guest User
Quoted from grimsby pete
Hurst said Hamish has goals in him,

So why not start with him and give him a chance to prove it.

Because he's fatter than me?
Reply: 24 - 33
February 14, 2015, 11:49pm
Guest User
Quoted from ackomariner

Bang on the money for me

Whatever crap he comes out with, he hasn't been able to sign a striker of the required quality. Allegedly, the money is there. Didn' he say he'd had about 20 targets that he hasn't been able to land? Is he having a laugh? This is a big club in this league and we should be at the very top of the tree when it comes to signing any conference level player. Unless he's been making enquiries for Wayne Rooney then questions have to be asked? Is it crap, is the money there or not? Or can't he sell this great club to a below average footballer?
Reply: 25 - 33
RichMariner
February 15, 2015, 1:26am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Scott and Hurst's policy was to sign strikers/players who knew how to get out of this division.

That's why we signed a lot of York players. And Greg Pearson.

Fat load of good that's done us.

I understand that signing strikers who have promotion on their CV shows certain character traits, like a winning mentality, but frankly I'm fed up of signing players who've done it for other teams but never look like doing it for us.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
ackomariner
February 15, 2015, 6:46am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from 75

Whatever crap he comes out with, he hasn't been able to sign a striker of the required quality. Allegedly, the money is there. Didn' he say he'd had about 20 targets that he hasn't been able to land? Is he having a laugh? This is a big club in this league and we should be at the very top of the tree when it comes to signing any conference level player. Unless he's been making enquiries for Wayne Rooney then questions have to be asked? Is it crap, is the money there or not? Or can't he sell this great club to a below average footballer?

I think the number of targets that he went for BP and turned us down was 28

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 33
Madeleymariner
February 15, 2015, 1:03pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from 75

Because he's fatter than me?

So is Jon Parkin but he just won player of the month didn't he!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 33
lew chaterleys lover
February 16, 2015, 1:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from 75

I think we have to face facts Vicar in relation to your final sentence. Good players (strikers especially) cost a lot in wages, more so when they are in demand. Other clubs will offer more than us, in the main due to them having very wealthy owners who can afford to be more speculative.

A further complication is there isn't a lot of players (again especially down here) that maintain form over several seasons so you have to sign them when they are on the UP; we sign what we think are good players (for example Brodie and Jolley) who are on the way DOWN when they are no longer in such demand.

The budget might be "competitive" but not so where it really matters. What infuriates me is that it wouldn't take a lot more to invest in quality players which we would have much more chance in selling on for a profit.

All easy to say from afar I know, but what other explanation can there be?

I hope Jolley makes me eat my words and fires us to promotion, but it looks a long shot.    
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › missing ......... goals

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.