4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Maringer
February 16, 2015, 1:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
When you hear what the likes of FGR and Eastleigh are paying to some of their signings, you can see why we are struggling to compete for the better players at this level...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 33
BIGChris
February 16, 2015, 2:17pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
I dont disagree that some of the wages being paid to some conference footballers is ridiculous and i wouldnt want us to be paying anyone the sums FGR are reportably dishing out (£3k pw +).

I have said in the past that i think a greater portion of the budget should go on the strikers who can fire us to promotion. Of course there are no guarantees but paying over the odds on the right striker and reducing the sums paid to say a full back could ultimately be the difference without increasing the budget.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 33
Garth
February 17, 2015, 6:48pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26

I think we have to face facts Vicar in relation to your final sentence. Good players (strikers especially) cost a lot in wages, more so when they are in demand. Other clubs will offer more than us, in the main due to them having very wealthy owners who can afford to be more speculative.

A further complication is there isn't a lot of players (again especially down here) that maintain form over several seasons so you have to sign them when they are on the UP; we sign what we think are good players (for example Brodie and Jolley) who are on the way DOWN when they are no longer in such demand.

The budget might be "competitive" but not so where it really matters. What infuriates me is that it wouldn't take a lot more to invest in quality players which we would have much more chance in selling on for a profit.

All easy to say from afar I know, but what other explanation can there be?

I hope Jolley makes me eat my words and fires us to promotion, but it looks a long shot.    

Like 20 goal Dale at Boston you mean, frigging disgrace
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 33
KingstonMariner
February 17, 2015, 10:10pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from bostonian

Boston is where the goals have gone ,   Dayle was nursing a minor injury so was subbed after 60mins today having achieved his 20 goals target for the season .

Good for him. Glad he's getting the chance. Some of us said it was short-sighted releasing him at the time.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › missing ......... goals

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.