Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 14, 2015, 7:48pm
Does anyone have any idea where our goals have gone? They were missing then they reappeared the other week when Barnet came but now they've gone again. We even needed the other side to score for us last week. If the manager can't find them this week we can start planning for another year in this crappy league. But where to look.... ?
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 14, 2015, 7:58pm; Reply: 1
It will cost Hurst his job in a few weeks.
Posted by: H19P1, February 14, 2015, 7:59pm; Reply: 2
Give Hamish some game time I'd day
Posted by: ackomariner, February 14, 2015, 8:20pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from H19P1

He did more in ten mins than LJL did all game.

Why he keeps persisting with him I'll never know.

Johnnyboy your @rse will be safe from the hotdog mate......nothing to worry about
Posted by: ginnywings, February 14, 2015, 8:21pm; Reply: 4
Does anyone have any idea where our goals have gone? They were missing then they reappeared the other week when Barnet came but now they've gone again. We even needed the other side to score for us last week. If the manager can't find them this week we can start planning for another year in this crappy league. But where to look.... ?

I thought Barnet were very poor defensively and Martin Allen admitted he got his tactics wrong based on our formation against Gateshead, which he witnessed.

We've looked bereft of goals in many games this season and i think Hurst has never got to grips with our attacking play. It's what's needed to take us to the next level and he can't provide it, hence why i think he had taken us as far as he could by the end of last season and should have been replaced. We've finished 4th the last 2 seasons and will be lucky to finish 4th this season the way it's going. To my mind he has made no progress since he took sole charge. He's very competent but lacks that something that winners have.

I would even go as far to say that if their was an outstanding candidate available right now, i'd roll the dice because we are in danger of tailing off to a damp squib. This is the business end of the season and we need to have some impetus. Bristol are timing it to perfection, which given the usual struggles of teams in their first Conference season is no mean feat by their manager.

At what point do you admit that he just hasn't got that little extra that turns good teams into promotion candidates?
Posted by: chaos33, February 14, 2015, 8:42pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from H19P1

You might say that but there's just no chance - Hurst will stick with his favourites however they're playing.
Posted by: chaos33, February 14, 2015, 8:42pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from H19P1

You might say that but there's just no chance - Hurst will stick with his favourites however they're playing.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 14, 2015, 8:47pm; Reply: 7
Hurst said Hamish has goals in him,

So why not start with him and give him a chance to prove it.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, February 14, 2015, 8:47pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from chaos33
I heard someone mumble to themselves, I reckon Arnold must be bumming Hurst or something, because he never gets subbed, only thing that made me laugh all game.
Posted by: chaos33, February 14, 2015, 8:50pm; Reply: 9
Arnold has done pretty much F@ck all after his little spell much earlier in the season, but he gets in and stays on every week.
Posted by: ackomariner, February 14, 2015, 8:52pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from grimsby pete

Because as hurst always spouts..." Ask any player and they all want Lenny in the team"

Posted by: grimsby pete, February 14, 2015, 8:58pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from ackomariner

Because as hurst always spouts..." Ask any player and they all want Lenny in the team"

If Palmer is still injured next week,

Hamish could start alongside Hurst's lovechild.
Posted by: ackomariner, February 14, 2015, 9:01pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from grimsby pete

If Palmer is still injured next week,

Hamish could start alongside Hurst's lovechild.

Doubt it Pete.......he will go 451 but will say it's a 433  ;)
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 14, 2015, 9:02pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from ackomariner

Another thing,

Who picks the team Hurst or the players ?

That's 6 league defeats at home this season,

Rubbish Hurst out !!!!!!! ;)

Only kidding,

He can keep his job if we get promoted,

If not there must be a more positive person out there who wants the job.
Posted by: chaos33, February 14, 2015, 9:06pm; Reply: 14
Losing 6 at home is appalling.

Bristol Rovers have lost 4 games in total, all season.
Posted by: ackomariner, February 14, 2015, 9:08pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from grimsby pete

Another thing,

Who picks the team Hurst or the players ?

That's 6 league defeats at home this season,

Rubbish Hurst out !!!!!!! ;)

Only kidding,

He can keep his job if we get promoted,

If not there must be a more positive person out there who wants the job.

And six home league defeats isn't good enough Pete for a team with promotion in mind
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 14, 2015, 9:12pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from ackomariner

And six home league defeats isn't good enough Pete for a team with promotion in mind

It's a good job we are better away,

Otherwise we would be getting relegation blues.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 14, 2015, 9:14pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from ackomariner

That's because if he wasn't there they would have to do a lot more running about.  ;D

The truth is that Hurst is desperately waiting for LJL to have another little scoring burst but the longer he waits the worse things get. Promotion isn't won just by running your spherical objects off, it needs something extra. It needs chances creating and finishing. We haven't signed a finisher and we used to have someone who was reasonably good at creating chances. Manager's choices. It's up to him now to justify the money he's had and the actions he's taken.

To me the omens don't look good, it is a bad sign when you slide in February. Too late for a loan signing to get the goals to force us through the playoffs so we have to go with what's we have. Is there anyone who can do it? Is there anyone who can make the chances for a striker to do it? I think these are known as rhetorical questions.
Posted by: bostonian, February 14, 2015, 9:14pm; Reply: 18

Boston is where the goals have gone ,   Dayle was nursing a minor injury so was subbed after 60mins today having achieved his 20 goals target for the season .
Posted by: ackomariner, February 14, 2015, 9:25pm; Reply: 19

That's because if he wasn't there they would have to do a lot more running about.  ;D

The truth is that Hurst is desperately waiting for LJL to have another little scoring burst but the longer he waits the worse things get. Promotion isn't won just by running your spherical objects off, it needs something extra. It needs chances creating and finishing. We haven't signed a finisher and we used to have someone who was reasonably good at creating chances. Manager's choices. It's up to him now to justify the money he's had and the actions he's taken.

To me the omens don't look good, it is a bad sign when you slide in February. Too late for a loan signing to get the goals to force us through the playoffs so we have to go with what's we have. Is there anyone who can do it? Is there anyone who can make the chances for a striker to do it? I think these are known as rhetorical questions.

Bang on the money for me
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, February 14, 2015, 9:33pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from grimsby pete

It's a good job we are better away,

Otherwise we would be getting relegation blues.

Spot on Pete I just can not understand why we are so rubbish  at home we are perceived as a big club in this league with a large home crowd yet teams come here fearless???

Posted by: ginnywings, February 14, 2015, 10:21pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Spot on Pete I just can not understand why we are so rubbish  at home we are perceived as a big club in this league with a large home crowd yet teams come here fearless???

Because they size us up for 20 mins, then realise we have nothing to scare them. The old mantra of away performances, keep it tight for 20 mins, silence the crowd (not difficult) then go to work. Seen it time and again.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), February 14, 2015, 10:59pm; Reply: 22
The annoying thing is that everyone at the club could see that the problem was scoring goals last season.  Hurst has had time to address this and had the majority of pre season to find his man which he clearly didn't do.  He then fed us this b0llocks about that we have to be patient and wait for the right man to come along but sadly we decided to wait till January when the title was all but over. Centre midfield is too static when Disley and Clay are in there and we have to have Brown in there for his energy. To many basic problems for me which should have been addressed in pre season. After looking certainties for the play-offs I am starting to look behind us and starting to get worried that we wont even enter the lottery.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 14, 2015, 11:08pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from 1739
The annoying thing is that everyone at the club could see that the problem was scoring goals last season.  Hurst has had time to address this and had the majority of pre season to find his man which he clearly didn't do.  He then fed us this b0llocks about that we have to be patient and wait for the right man to come along but sadly we decided to wait till January when the title was all but over. Centre midfield is too static when Disley and Clay are in there and we have to have Brown in there for his energy. To many basic problems for me which should have been addressed in pre season. After looking certainties for the play-offs I am starting to look behind us and starting to get worried that we wont even enter the lottery.

Best post for me for months

Posted by: 75 (Guest), February 14, 2015, 11:44pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from grimsby pete

Because he's fatter than me?
Posted by: 75 (Guest), February 14, 2015, 11:49pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from ackomariner

Bang on the money for me

Whatever crap he comes out with, he hasn't been able to sign a striker of the required quality. Allegedly, the money is there. Didn' he say he'd had about 20 targets that he hasn't been able to land? Is he having a laugh? This is a big club in this league and we should be at the very top of the tree when it comes to signing any conference level player. Unless he's been making enquiries for Wayne Rooney then questions have to be asked? Is it crap, is the money there or not? Or can't he sell this great club to a below average footballer?
Posted by: RichMariner, February 15, 2015, 1:26am; Reply: 26
Scott and Hurst's policy was to sign strikers/players who knew how to get out of this division.

That's why we signed a lot of York players. And Greg Pearson.

Fat load of good that's done us.

I understand that signing strikers who have promotion on their CV shows certain character traits, like a winning mentality, but frankly I'm fed up of signing players who've done it for other teams but never look like doing it for us.
Posted by: ackomariner, February 15, 2015, 6:46am; Reply: 27
Quoted from 75

Whatever crap he comes out with, he hasn't been able to sign a striker of the required quality. Allegedly, the money is there. Didn' he say he'd had about 20 targets that he hasn't been able to land? Is he having a laugh? This is a big club in this league and we should be at the very top of the tree when it comes to signing any conference level player. Unless he's been making enquiries for Wayne Rooney then questions have to be asked? Is it crap, is the money there or not? Or can't he sell this great club to a below average footballer?

I think the number of targets that he went for BP and turned us down was 28
Posted by: Madeleymariner, February 15, 2015, 1:03pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from 75

Because he's fatter than me?

So is Jon Parkin but he just won player of the month didn't he!
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 16, 2015, 1:20pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from 75

I think we have to face facts Vicar in relation to your final sentence. Good players (strikers especially) cost a lot in wages, more so when they are in demand. Other clubs will offer more than us, in the main due to them having very wealthy owners who can afford to be more speculative.

A further complication is there isn't a lot of players (again especially down here) that maintain form over several seasons so you have to sign them when they are on the UP; we sign what we think are good players (for example Brodie and Jolley) who are on the way DOWN when they are no longer in such demand.

The budget might be "competitive" but not so where it really matters. What infuriates me is that it wouldn't take a lot more to invest in quality players which we would have much more chance in selling on for a profit.

All easy to say from afar I know, but what other explanation can there be?

I hope Jolley makes me eat my words and fires us to promotion, but it looks a long shot.    
Posted by: Maringer, February 16, 2015, 1:33pm; Reply: 30
When you hear what the likes of FGR and Eastleigh are paying to some of their signings, you can see why we are struggling to compete for the better players at this level...
Posted by: BIGChris, February 16, 2015, 2:17pm; Reply: 31
I dont disagree that some of the wages being paid to some conference footballers is ridiculous and i wouldnt want us to be paying anyone the sums FGR are reportably dishing out (£3k pw +).

I have said in the past that i think a greater portion of the budget should go on the strikers who can fire us to promotion. Of course there are no guarantees but paying over the odds on the right striker and reducing the sums paid to say a full back could ultimately be the difference without increasing the budget.
Posted by: Garth, February 17, 2015, 6:48pm; Reply: 32

I think we have to face facts Vicar in relation to your final sentence. Good players (strikers especially) cost a lot in wages, more so when they are in demand. Other clubs will offer more than us, in the main due to them having very wealthy owners who can afford to be more speculative.

A further complication is there isn't a lot of players (again especially down here) that maintain form over several seasons so you have to sign them when they are on the UP; we sign what we think are good players (for example Brodie and Jolley) who are on the way DOWN when they are no longer in such demand.

The budget might be "competitive" but not so where it really matters. What infuriates me is that it wouldn't take a lot more to invest in quality players which we would have much more chance in selling on for a profit.

All easy to say from afar I know, but what other explanation can there be?

I hope Jolley makes me eat my words and fires us to promotion, but it looks a long shot.    

Like 20 goal Dale at Boston you mean, frigging disgrace
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 17, 2015, 10:10pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from bostonian

Boston is where the goals have gone ,   Dayle was nursing a minor injury so was subbed after 60mins today having achieved his 20 goals target for the season .

Good for him. Glad he's getting the chance. Some of us said it was short-sighted releasing him at the time.
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 7:03am