Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Put up or shut up !!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 113 Guests

Put up or shut up !!

This thread currently has 5,010 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
jonnyboy82
January 23, 2015, 10:09am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
This in NOT a dig at paul but please can he and the club just stop going on about these "irons in the fire" we have gone from the hairs on the back our necks to Hamish Watson.

newports Christian jolley (sounds like a welsh religious walk) has vanished and the imminent signing of the league 2 player last week has obviously done the same , just sign your target or leave it.

[url]http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Boss-targets-new-signings/story-25912079-detail/story.html[/url]

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
fishheadphil
January 23, 2015, 10:16am

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: -9
Quoted from jonnyboy82
This in NOT a dig at paul but please can he and the club just stop going on about these "irons in the fire" we have gone from the hairs on the back our necks to Hamish Watson.

newports Christian jolley (sounds like a welsh religious walk) has vanished and the imminent signing of the league 2 player last week has obviously done the same , just sign your target or leave it.

[url]http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Boss-targets-new-signings/story-25912079-detail/story.html[/url]

The telegraph has a lot to answer for on a lot of this mate, its a paper that should be published once a week looking desperately for a story, the quality of the paper has gone downhill fast since that ginger minger took over.🙊
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 34
ackomariner
January 23, 2015, 10:18am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
I give up with the lot of it.

Shows just how amateurish  gtfc has become,, we call this league " tin pot" , but that's exactly what we've become

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 34
fishheadphil
January 23, 2015, 10:22am

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: -9
Quoted from ackomariner
I give up with the lot of it.

Shows just how amateurish  gtfc has become,, we call this league " tin pot" , but that's exactly what we've become

I was watching us on that estuary TV the other day ripping Burnley apart back in the day! We are a million miles from that level now and its embarrassing!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 34
DocTower
January 23, 2015, 10:44am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Yes , the Exeter and Westbrom game ,  What we had and what we have now . How is it II get more excited about a game 12 years old and I know the result  , than I do now ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 34
acko338
January 23, 2015, 10:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
The Barnet game should be a benchmark of playing style - that's what the fans want to see - it proves the players have the ability to go out and take a game by the scruff of the neck against good opposition teams.

The problem is consistency !

Every game is different and not enough of Town believing they can win by attacking play, rather setting off at slower pace in most games allowing teams to get at them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 34
AlanPoutonsTackle
January 23, 2015, 11:07am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +57
I often get the impression that PH isn't quite that figure in football that players particularly gravitate too and when it comes to signing players I just think he has many targets that just don't fancy it. Might be PH himself, might be the aspirations of the player ie his targets are too high a level. Or it might be the club/location just can't really decide.

"With a minute to go Buckley said keep it in the corner, I thought he meant the top corner." - Jim Dobbin
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 34
moosey_club
January 23, 2015, 11:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,180
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from jonnyboy82

I actually have some sympathy (not much ..but a smidge) for PH on this one, it is obvious that we were in for Jolley and that expectations may have been high regards sussessfully acquiring him....stalling any other attempts or negotiations for a similar player, this is now not looking likely so PH has to start the process again.
Also throw in the Aswad wobbler, does he or doesnt he now need to replace Aswad? What if Aswad sorts himself out and comes back.. would we have wasted a player budget?  
What if Mansfield recall Palmer at the end of his loan spell, would we be left with no other potential striking options, especially if Hamish and Hannah go out on loan?

Myself i would....
Get a left back in as priority for the remainder of the season, i am not a fan of Parslow in any position,  enabling Magnay to get back to right back. Put either Bignot or Walker up for loan as soon as we have a left back in. If Aswad returns then its a bonus, if not hold onto his registration and force someone to bid for him.

Sign a striker on loan for the remainder of the season, easier said than done i know but as i think we can discount Hamish or Hannah ever getting a run in the squad if Palmer gets recalled then we are basically down to LJL and the Pope. If we can extend Palmer , providing he continues ala Barnet then do that also.

Cover for either wing, there are four Neilson's in the squad this season...one is either injured, out of favour, red hot or anonymous all of which equals cannot be relied upon, Arnold is pretty much the same except in favour more and Makreth tries but has not had the impact we maybe had hoped for so again a big priority for me....pacey winger.

Sounds easy but as time runs out it becomes harder and harder....only problem for me is that with the exception of the Aswad situation the rest has been obvious for ages and should have been in place already.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 34
MuddyWaters
January 23, 2015, 12:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,174
Gold Stars: 233
Other than not having much empathy for his boss, I have little sympathy for Paul Hurst, he's had time, a decent budget etc. He needs to deliver now - there are no further distractions and the powers that be need to ensure that the players have some kind of incentive in place for promotion because anything less jeopardises their future, the managers future and potentially dictates the future of a new stadium.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 34
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 23, 2015, 12:31pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23

We have been over this many times, why are we not signing players capable of making the first team better?  We know all the reasons about geography but that cannot explain all of the refusals. So we are left with players like Palmer who is a risk and only on loan anyway. He might turn out to be a match winner but we need to see several games to know for sure. With so many games to come over a short time it is pretty obvious we do need reinforcements and/or we need to find a way for players we have like Neilson to be effective. Either way at some stage before April there will be injuries, loss of form and suspensions and players will have to be replaced.

Seems that a lot of the speculation and anticipation is hyped by both the club and the media. Trouble is, the GT and the club need each other, not least because the club has to keep the GT onside over the new stadium. Whether the speculation about Jolley alerted other clubs we will never know but it probably wouldn't be the first time and the way things are going it won't be the last.

I reached the conclusion some time back that if a player needs more than a couple of days to think about coming to Grimsby then he probably isn't going to and he isn't worth the effort. No speculation then is there? If as a manager you are going to persuade someone to Grimsby then you need to do it fast and to have some personal qualities and reputation that makes the player feel honoured to be asked. Then be ruthless if he doesn't agree inside your timescale because it is time and effort wasted.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 34
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Put up or shut up !!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.