Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Put up or shut up !!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 220 Guests

Put up or shut up !!

This thread currently has 5,030 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Garth
January 23, 2015, 12:43pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26

We have been over this many times, why are we not signing players capable of making the first team better?  We know all the reasons about geography but that cannot explain all of the refusals. So we are left with players like Palmer who is a risk and only on loan anyway. He might turn out to be a match winner but we need to see several games to know for sure. With so many games to come over a short time it is pretty obvious we do need reinforcements and/or we need to find a way for players we have like Neilson to be effective. Either way at some stage before April there will be injuries, loss of form and suspensions and players will have to be replaced.

Seems that a lot of the speculation and anticipation is hyped by both the club and the media. Trouble is, the GT and the club need each other, not least because the club has to keep the GT onside over the new stadium. Whether the speculation about Jolley alerted other clubs we will never know but it probably wouldn't be the first time and the way things are going it won't be the last.

I reached the conclusion some time back that if a player needs more than a couple of days to think about coming to Grimsby then he probably isn't going to and he isn't worth the effort. No speculation then is there? If as a manager you are going to persuade someone to Grimsby then you need to do it fast and to have some personal qualities and reputation that makes the player feel honoured to be asked. Then be ruthless if he doesn't agree inside your timescale because it is time and effort wasted.

Agree, I don`t think PH is persuasive enough when a certain player requires it, and tough enough when the player is hesitant
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 34
GrimRob
January 23, 2015, 12:51pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from jonnyboy82
This in NOT a dig at paul but please can he and the club just stop going on about these "irons in the fire" we have gone from the hairs on the back our necks to Hamish Watson.

newports Christian jolley (sounds like a welsh religious walk) has vanished and the imminent signing of the league 2 player last week has obviously done the same , just sign your target or leave it.

[url]http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/Boss-targets-new-signings/story-25912079-detail/story.html[/url]

If you don't get your hopes up about these signings until it actually happens, it is not an issue. Like any employer they are always looking for new staff, quite often your targets get a job elsewhere, or want more money, that's life. I am happy that they are looking to strengthen the squad, it might give some of the existing players a kick up the backside if the manager is rumoured to be looking in his position.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 34
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 23, 2015, 12:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
Have York actually got any players left for us to pinch!?!??

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 34
Freemoash88
January 23, 2015, 12:59pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +893
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from GrimRob

If you don't get your hopes up about these signings until it actually happens, it is not an issue. Like any employer they are always looking for new staff, quite often your targets get a job elsewhere, or want more money, that's life. I am happy that they are looking to strengthen the squad, it might give some of the existing players a kick up the backside if the manager is rumoured to be looking in his position.

That could we'll be his plan constantly looking for players to scare our fringe players to give them
the kick up the bum they need.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 34
ginnywings
January 23, 2015, 1:15pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Freemoash88

That could we'll be his plan constantly looking for players to scare our fringe players to give them
the kick up the bum they need.

That only works up to a point and i think we are past that point.We are about at the same level as we were last year at this stage of the season, so we have not actually progressed in the last year, in fact the last two years.

What we need now to go to the next level, is players that come in and demote some of the regulars to fringe status and the fringe players that are here now to be told thanks but you can move on. We are not getting better, just shuffling the pack we have.

We need a new and better pack, which just aint happening.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 34
Les Brechin
January 23, 2015, 1:22pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,701
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from ginnywings

That only works up to a point and i think we are past that point.We are about at the same level as we were last year at this stage of the season, so we have not actually progressed in the last year, in fact the last two years.

What we need now to go to the next level, is players that come in and demote some of the regulars to fringe status and the fringe players that are here now to be told thanks but you can move on. We are not getting better, just shuffling the pack we have.

We need a new and better pack, which just aint happening.

Do we though?

It's only last week that we comfortably saw off what is supposedly the best team in this division. The players have shown that they can play to the necessary standard. If we produce the performance that we did against Barnet every week, then I have no doubt that we will get out of this division.

Consistency is the key, the players need to be producing that sort of performance week in week out but they have proved last Saturday that they can do it, although I doubt very much if that consistency will be achieved.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 34
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 23, 2015, 1:23pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from GrimRob

If that was true then wouldn't Hannah be in the side now with a dozen goals to his credit and Neilson be playing out of his skin every week?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 34
GrimRob
January 23, 2015, 2:13pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113

If that was true then wouldn't Hannah be in the side now with a dozen goals to his credit and Neilson be playing out of his skin every week?

Give em chance!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 34
ginnywings
January 23, 2015, 2:20pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Les Brechin

Do we though?

It's only last week that we comfortably saw off what is supposedly the best team in this division. The players have shown that they can play to the necessary standard. If we produce the performance that we did against Barnet every week, then I have no doubt that we will get out of this division.

Consistency is the key, the players need to be producing that sort of performance week in week out but they have proved last Saturday that they can do it, although I doubt very much if that consistency will be achieved.

As we so often do against sides that come out to play. On the other hand, teams that come and defend can quite easily keep us at arms length because we haven't got the right tools for this scenario.

Facts are facts. The last three seasons has seen us get to a certain point, yet not exceed it. We are a play off side and admittedly there is some way to go in the season but i think we are already too far off the pace to be anything other than that, unless we get players in who are noticeably better than what we currently have. Hurst keeps saying he will only bring in players that are an improvement on what we have, yet he very rarely does that. I think he has reached his limit and can't take us to the next level but i remain hopeful than i am wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 34
ginnywings
January 23, 2015, 2:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Just to add, then when i say a new pack, i don't mean a completely new team, just 2 or 3 players that will go straight into the side and improve it. I'm not talking wholesale change here, just a bit of a shuffle. If you stand still, you are going backwards because others will be looking to better themselves.

As the original post alluded to, we keep hearing about these new and exciting signings, but they don't materialise.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Put up or shut up !!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.