Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › It's not the same........
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 364 Guests

It's not the same........

This thread currently has 3,947 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Grantham_Mariner
January 13, 2015, 10:29am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,152
Gold Stars: 49
It’s not the same……………….
Nearly fifty years watching the once Mighty Mariners through thick and thin, but now there is something very different.
I have supported Town through the good years, the bad years and the indifferent years. Bill Harvey, applying for re-election, McMemeny, promotions, relegations, Wembley, Chasetown, Futcher, Tees & Green, Cummings, Lyons, Buckley, Buckley again, IVT Sport, Barratt Stand, standing in the Pontoon, Buckley again, Newell, Tuesday night at Carlisle, freezing in open stands in winter, sunstroke (at Portsmouth), visiting Anfield, Carrow Road, playing West Ham, Everton, Workington and Bradford Park Avenue, the win at WBA, defeat at the Millenium. Beating Hull, losing to Hull, The fleet of buses waiting outside Blundel Park after the match, the long walk home if I had no bus fare, the British Rail Football Specials, and the first time I drove to a match. I could go on.
But through all that I believed, I worshiped, I followed without any doubt, I looked forward to the next match be it League, Cup or friendly. If I could make it I was there if I couldn’t I would do whatever I could to keep track of the score or find the result.
It’s not the same any more. I remember turning up at Blundel Park for a game and there would be a new player I did not recognise who we had signed the previous day, sometimes you did not know his name until you read the Evening Telegraph as there was no Radio Humberside, internet or social media. So he was given every chance to show what he could do. But now his name and full stats are on The Fishy and other sites sometimes before the club officially announce it. Then he is dissected, put down, even given abuse before he have put the shirt on. In the past you went to the match hoping that Town would improve from their last match if they had been poor, but now you can read online that we are doomed and are expected to play even worse.
I used to believe in everything Grimsby Town. But now I am told player X isn’t as good as a previous player, the Manager cannot or will not change, we will not get promoted, we cannot or will not sign the players we need, the burgers are crap, the ticket prices are wrong, I can’t take a flask in (or McDonalds) and so on………….
I can honestly say that for the first time I am not looking forward to the next game (Gateshead) and even thinking of not being at Blundel Park on Saturday (Barnet). Is it just me or do other feel the same, you younger ones with no history to fall back on must find it difficult to believe? Has the internet and social media made my beloved Grimsby Town more negative, has it made my cup half empty instead of half full, what is the pivotal point? What is your pivotal point?
Not throwing the Season Ticket away yet, but it is getting close! HELP!

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Biccys
January 13, 2015, 10:38am
Posts Per Day: 2.05
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
I thought you could take a flask in?

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 31
Maringer
January 13, 2015, 10:39am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,142
Gold Stars: 180
I've said in the past, things were different before the days of the internet.

Back then, after a bad result, you'd go to the pub and urine and moan about it with your mates for half an hour over a pint or two before getting on with doing something more interesting instead and then wouldn't really think about it too much until the next game.

In the modern era, people get back home and spend hours on the message boards over the next few days dissecting the performance/criticising the players/manager/whoever and sometimes picking arguments with those who disagree with them.

I'm sure things were much better (not to mention less time-consuming) back then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 31
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 13, 2015, 10:41am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Biccys
I thought you could take a flask in?

Only if it's half full.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 31
ginnywings
January 13, 2015, 10:53am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538

Only if it's half full.

Or half empty, depending on your viewpoint.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 31
Doctor Sanchez
January 13, 2015, 11:14am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +19 / -6
Approval: +638
Gold Stars: 1
There's probably only a couple of dozen very regular posters on this forum, that's hardly representative of the 5000+ town fans (that's including those who'll reappear at the ground if we get back into the league).  I think it's also down to anybody reading the stuff on here to keep it in perspective, especially any players or Paul Hursts or John Fentys that may be reading it.

Serial thread killer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 31
arryarryarry
January 13, 2015, 11:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
Whilst I understand your frustration and I have been to all those games you mention, there are at least two factors that are different to those times.

One is the social media side of things and it just isn't football that this applies to and secondly I believe that the last 10 years or so of sad decline and the way this club has been run has taken it's toll with many fans, even in the dark days of the old Division 4 we had never sunk as far as we are now, and many on here don't see the situation improving after spending 5 seasons down here.

I still go to just about every game and will continue to do so but many times it feels more like a chore than as you mentioned a thrill of travelling to and arriving at Blundell Park.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 31
jonnyboy82
January 13, 2015, 12:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
We have no drive in the whole club..

And I don't care what anyone says paul hurst is not a manager who leads the team from the front  with belief in himself or the team , I gave up a few months back as I have no confidence that paul really knows himself what he is doing.

Everyone has a difference in opinion and rightly so but you know it is bad when you would rather save the £18 towards anything but going to Blundell park on a Saturday to see the same old stuff.

The even crazier thing is we are 4th somehow.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 31
MarinerWY
January 13, 2015, 12:21pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,943
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Doctor Sanchez
There's probably only a couple of dozen very regular posters on this forum, that's hardly representative of the 5000+ town fans (that's including those who'll reappear at the ground if we get back into the league).  I think it's also down to anybody reading the stuff on here to keep it in perspective, especially any players or Paul Hursts or John Fentys that may be reading it.

This. I wouldn't want Fenty, Hurst or the players taking what is said on The Fishy as any way representative.

Especailly as now we have a group of 6-7 posters who hijack every thread with the most doom and gloom negativity possible. We get it, you don't like Hurst, you want him sacked. Can we talk about some constructive things without you repeating the same thing every thread? I'm not sure why some of them bother writing different posts, they can just copy and paste each (in some cases abusive) tirade into each new thread.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 31
Maringer
January 13, 2015, 12:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,142
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from jonnyboy82
The even crazier thing is we are 4th somehow.

Not crazy at all. So far this season, we've been the 4th best team in the division.

If we're the 4th best so far despite some poor runs of form with a number of dodgy performances, it wouldn't take much of an improvement to drag us up the table further, though I do think top spot is likely to remain beyond us even with a big improvement.

The indifferent/inconsistent form of too many of the players in our squad leads me to think that we still need one or two decent signings so it will be interesting to see if anything does happen in the transfer market or not and whether Palmer can rediscover the sort of form which earned him a move to Mansfield.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 31
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › It's not the same........

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.