chaos33
January 4, 2015, 2:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from moosey_club
Help for Hurst ....simpler idea which may may assist him during him home games...have Doig sat in the upper tier of the Findus relaying information to him about the shape of our team and the shape of the opposition. You can see fvck all from the sidelines of the wider picture and when you are small as Hurst and stood below pitch level you see even less.

That's an exceptionally good point and it should be acted upon immediately.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 62
DocTower
January 5, 2015, 11:59am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from Tom13

According to what we hear? From who exactly?

And he had a long run in the team last season with Neilson in it as well and it didn't work then so I don't see why it would now.

And another option would be what .  What we are watching now isn't  setting the world alight . People are bored with what we are given to watch , there's  enough posts on here reflecting the fact .  Emisar  worded it well .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 62
Tom13
January 5, 2015, 2:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Quoted from DocTower

And another option would be what .  What we are watching now isn't  setting the world alight . People are bored with what we are given to watch , there's  enough posts on here reflecting the fact .  Emisar  worded it well .

Either play the team (excluding Boyce) that destroyed Alfreton and Gateshead, or play 4-2-3-1 with the 3 consisting of Mackreth on the right, Neilson in the middle and Arnold or Pittman on the left, because a lot of the goals would come from this advanced 3 therefore less pressure on the lone striker. I appreciate building the team around a goalscorer is the best idea but I don't think Hannah is a good enough goalscorer, I've seen him miss far too many chances and only score penalties to convince me that he's got enough of a cutting edge as Hearn did to be the striker to lead us to promotion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 62
rancido
January 5, 2015, 7:32pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from moosey_club
Help for Hurst ....simpler idea which may may assist him during him home games...have Doig sat in the upper tier of the Findus relaying information to him about the shape of our team and the shape of the opposition. You can see fvck all from the sidelines of the wider picture and when you are small as Hurst and stood below pitch level you see even less.

I've thought this for some time. I know we record every game from up there and PH can appraise the game afterwards but that is no good during the game. You can see a different perspective from up there and the " live " view is a lot different to the " recorded " view. I seem to recall when The Dynamic Duo first came here they said they would do something on these lines but nothing was done.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 62
Tom13
January 5, 2015, 8:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Quoted from rancido

I've thought this for some time. I know we record every game from up there and PH can appraise the game afterwards but that is no good during the game. You can see a different perspective from up there and the " live " view is a lot different to the " recorded " view. I seem to recall when The Dynamic Duo first came here they said they would do something on these lines but nothing was done.

Scott sat in the UF or the press box in the Main Stand for a few games didn't he?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 62
Maringer
January 5, 2015, 8:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
Probably when he was banned from the touchline!

I'm in agreement that having an observer up in the Upper Findus is a good idea. You can see so much more of the game there than down by the touchline. Even if the manager isn't up there himself, surely a trusted member of the coaching staff could spend the first half watching with an elevated view and report as required?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 62
KingstonMariner
January 6, 2015, 6:38pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from DocTower

He's the quickest player we have according to what we hear , give him the chance of an extended run with Neilson , who was used with great effect on his arrival . Far more effective and exciting than lumping the ball into the oppositions box hoping we get lucky .

Exactly. Remember when they first arrived on loan.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 62
KingstonMariner
January 6, 2015, 6:40pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from DocTower

Like what was said , the team isn't  built , designed or played to Hannahs   style . Opinions . Not his job to hold ball , got to be given ball to create , too quick for our pedestrian midfield .

Which possibly accounts for him being offside so often. Mind you he does need to learn to wait a bit for that pass!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 62
KingstonMariner
January 6, 2015, 6:45pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19
Did the team change its way of playing between December 2012 (when Hannah's loan finished and when he was good) and January 2013 (when he signed permanently and since has largely been disappointing)?

Obviously we signed LJL as Kingston said, but he only started 6 games in his first half season.

Hannah definitely dropped out of contention as a first choice striker. I wouldn't say the way of playing changed over night but it certainly evolved over the next several months. The team was certainly disrupted (in my view unnecessarily), added to fixture congestion etc, all momentum for automatic promotion was lost.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 62
Garth
January 6, 2015, 6:57pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
We have been a one style team for a long while now, before the shop it was a find Cooks head competition
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Help for Hursty

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.