2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
davmariner
December 28, 2014, 8:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,924
Gold Stars: 79
Why can no one in our team take a decent corner or free kick? Particularly corners, we've been sh1te at them for the best part of a year. I guess we mustn't practise in training ?

At this level it can make all the difference.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mariner Ronnie
December 28, 2014, 8:28pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from davmariner
Why can no one in our team take a decent corner or free kick? Particularly corners, we've been sh1te at them for the best part of a year. I guess we mustn't practise in training ?

Colbeck was good at taking corners, just a shame about other things lol

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
DocTower
December 28, 2014, 9:22pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie

Colbeck was good at taking corners, just a shame about other things lol

And he defended too .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
Maringer
December 28, 2014, 10:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
Colbeck wasn't actually that good at taking corners. If you remember, when he was in the team, we hardly tore up any trees in the set piece stakes even in comparison to now.

A bit of revisionist history here?

However, I don't disagree that we are (still) pretty poor at set pieces. That said, it's not too surprising that we are often unable to create too many chances as a number of the clubs we've played this season have been much taller throughout their teams. Lincoln a case in point today as they had a few very tall players in comparison to us.

Another area where we are lacking this season is somebody with a long throw. A good asset to use at times when attacking and we just don't have anybody capable of chucking the ball any real distance since Hatton's departure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
SamTheMariner
December 29, 2014, 11:29am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: -101
It must be a tactic hitting the near the post.

[img]http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/275785/Article/images/18946866/4836403.jpg[/img]

Diz, a leader, a goal scorer, a true pro

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
oldun
December 29, 2014, 11:41am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Agree we must do better at this. It has been a problem for a long time and I cannot understand why we cannot get it right. No accuracy or variety, surely PH has a coaching book on corner taking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
Fcukthescunts
December 29, 2014, 12:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +776
A sensible opening post when all other recent one offer nothing constructive! Agree set pieces should be a lot better
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
Codswede
December 29, 2014, 12:18pm

Upper Findus
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +300
Quoted from davmariner

It is really strange, when I played Sunday League every team had a couple of players who could put a really good ball into the box, yet at professional level its lacking. I'm not comparing the entire set piece set-up, because of course professional and sunday league are worlds apart, but whipping a decent ball into the box is the same at any level!

Wonder if it was because our pre-match warm ups consisted of nothing more than one lad on each corner flag whipping balls in until the ref was ready...  

ATAW
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
FishOutOfWater
December 29, 2014, 12:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
I wasn't surprised in the slightest that we had all those corners in the first half and we didn't really do anything with them yet Lincoln get their first corner right at the end of the half and lo and behold a few short seconds later they score with the game changing goal
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 15
Garth
December 29, 2014, 12:27pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Fair points, corners and set pieces this season leave a lot to be desired
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Set pieces

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.