Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: davmariner, December 28, 2014, 8:24pm
Why can no one in our team take a decent corner or free kick? Particularly corners, we've been sh1te at them for the best part of a year. I guess we mustn't practise in training ?

At this level it can make all the difference.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, December 28, 2014, 8:28pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from davmariner
Why can no one in our team take a decent corner or free kick? Particularly corners, we've been sh1te at them for the best part of a year. I guess we mustn't practise in training ?

Colbeck was good at taking corners, just a shame about other things lol
Posted by: DocTower, December 28, 2014, 9:22pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie

Colbeck was good at taking corners, just a shame about other things lol

And he defended too .
Posted by: Maringer, December 28, 2014, 10:36pm; Reply: 3
Colbeck wasn't actually that good at taking corners. If you remember, when he was in the team, we hardly tore up any trees in the set piece stakes even in comparison to now.

A bit of revisionist history here?

However, I don't disagree that we are (still) pretty poor at set pieces. That said, it's not too surprising that we are often unable to create too many chances as a number of the clubs we've played this season have been much taller throughout their teams. Lincoln a case in point today as they had a few very tall players in comparison to us.

Another area where we are lacking this season is somebody with a long throw. A good asset to use at times when attacking and we just don't have anybody capable of chucking the ball any real distance since Hatton's departure.
Posted by: SamTheMariner, December 29, 2014, 11:29am; Reply: 4
It must be a tactic hitting the near the post.
Posted by: oldun, December 29, 2014, 11:41am; Reply: 5
Agree we must do better at this. It has been a problem for a long time and I cannot understand why we cannot get it right. No accuracy or variety, surely PH has a coaching book on corner taking.
Posted by: Fcukthescunts, December 29, 2014, 12:13pm; Reply: 6
A sensible opening post when all other recent one offer nothing constructive! Agree set pieces should be a lot better
Posted by: Codswede, December 29, 2014, 12:18pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from davmariner

It is really strange, when I played Sunday League every team had a couple of players who could put a really good ball into the box, yet at professional level its lacking. I'm not comparing the entire set piece set-up, because of course professional and sunday league are worlds apart, but whipping a decent ball into the box is the same at any level!

Wonder if it was because our pre-match warm ups consisted of nothing more than one lad on each corner flag whipping balls in until the ref was ready...  ;D
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, December 29, 2014, 12:21pm; Reply: 8
I wasn't surprised in the slightest that we had all those corners in the first half and we didn't really do anything with them yet Lincoln get their first corner right at the end of the half and lo and behold a few short seconds later they score with the game changing goal
Posted by: Garth, December 29, 2014, 12:27pm; Reply: 9
Fair points, corners and set pieces this season leave a lot to be desired
Posted by: DocTower, December 29, 2014, 12:31pm; Reply: 10
Lets face it you could copy and paste all our corners and throw ins . We just are not dangerous , only to ourselves .
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, December 29, 2014, 12:39pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from DocTower
Lets face it you could copy and paste all our corners and throw ins . We just are not dangerous , only to ourselves .

As evidenced by the sloppy throw in right at the end of the half that led to them taking the lead....

If we'd gone in level at half time then it's my belief we'd have still got something other than an embarrassing defeat to a team who had not won on their travels since the first weeks of the season

Why is it time after time teams come here and end their disappointing runs. It's not just about them getting the rub of the green for once - it's equally about us giving them a helping hand
Posted by: moosey_club, December 29, 2014, 12:51pm; Reply: 12
I thought that corners actually improved yesterday apart from the first couple...a fair few went far post instead of the usual not beating the first man....crossing in general has been poor or non existent most of the season, Magnay has slung some nice balls over, Bignot put a couple of half decent balls in not long after entering the fray yesterday and probably top of the pile has been Pitman...just a shame its a striker putting the balls into where he should be receiving them.

Posted by: Madeleymariner, December 29, 2014, 5:22pm; Reply: 13
Near post corners are great but only if you get your player in front of theirs (ala Kidderminster?) which we never do.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, December 29, 2014, 6:45pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from oldun
Agree we must do better at this. It has been a problem for a long time and I cannot understand why we cannot get it right. No accuracy or variety, surely PH has a coaching book on corner taking.

It must be on the same page has the piece on changing your attacking options
Posted by: LH, December 29, 2014, 8:05pm; Reply: 15
It doesn't matter how many Town games I go to I always give it a big MARINERS! for the first corner before remembering we haven't taken a good one in years and save my breath for the rest of the game.
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 3:20pm