mariner91
December 1, 2014, 1:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,249
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from arryarryarry

Well I was there and whilst not currently shouting "Hurst out" I'm still not a fan of his and despite reaching 2nd in the table I still feel we are still not either good enough or not reaching our best potential to get promoted which is down to the manager.

And as regards Saturday's game his substitutions buggered us up in my opnion, yes Mackreth was woeful but after he scored he looked a changed man.  

I accept that though, I'm not fully convinced that Hurst is capable of delivering promotion either. He's put a good squad together and like you say, I think that sometimes he doesn't utilise the potential of the squad with his formations and substitutions. However, we are currently second in the table and on the back of a decent stretch of results. If, admittedly a big if, Hurst learns from mistakes he has made then I think it is possible for us to be in L2 this time next year. At the very least I think we'll make the play offs and we have a better starting eleven than previous years so the chances of us winning those are slightly greater in my opinion.

What frustrates me is the way so many Town fans are quick to jump down the manager's throat after a disappointing result which they haven't even witnessed. It was a fairly good display which Town dominated for most of the game. On one hand you can argue that Hurst hindered the chances of a win with his substitutions but equally if the players put away the chances presented and McKeown doesn't member up for the goal (you have to be saving one down the middle of your goal from 40 yards out) then the game would have been won by half time. Hurst is not responsible for individual errors. He put a team out that dominated the game and on another day would have comfortably won. Yet almost immediately after the final whistle we get people on here calling for his head and bizarrely the loudest ones tend to be the ones who have seen the least amount of games/have stated they're not currently attending games.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 29
arryarryarry
December 1, 2014, 1:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from mariner91

I accept that though, I'm not fully convinced that Hurst is capable of delivering promotion either. He's put a good squad together and like you say, I think that sometimes he doesn't utilise the potential of the squad with his formations and substitutions. However, we are currently second in the table and on the back of a decent stretch of results. If, admittedly a big if, Hurst learns from mistakes he has made then I think it is possible for us to be in L2 this time next year. At the very least I think we'll make the play offs and we have a better starting eleven than previous years so the chances of us winning those are slightly greater in my opinion.

What frustrates me is the way so many Town fans are quick to jump down the manager's throat after a disappointing result which they haven't even witnessed. It was a fairly good display which Town dominated for most of the game. On one hand you can argue that Hurst hindered the chances of a win with his substitutions but equally if the players put away the chances presented and McKeown doesn't member up for the goal (you have to be saving one down the middle of your goal from 40 yards out) then the game would have been won by half time. Hurst is not responsible for individual errors. He put a team out that dominated the game and on another day would have comfortably won. Yet almost immediately after the final whistle we get people on here calling for his head and bizarrely the loudest ones tend to be the ones who have seen the least amount of games/have stated they're not currently attending games.

Whilst I wouldn't really disagree with what you say I think one of the biggest frustrations amongst the fans is our continual inability to beat some of the poorer teams in this league which may ultimately cost us promotion.

Private Message
Reply: 21 - 29
barralad
December 1, 2014, 1:58pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from mariner91

Well said.....

My New Year's resolution will be not to reply to threads from people who haven't been to the game. I've missed more games this season than in the whole of the last three seasons put together but I wouldn't dream on commenting about actual games I hadn't been to.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 29
mariner91
December 1, 2014, 2:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,249
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from arryarryarry

Whilst I wouldn't really disagree with what you say I think one of the biggest frustrations amongst the fans is our continual inability to beat some of the poorer teams in this league which may ultimately cost us promotion.

Absolutely, which is understandable as it's been our Achilles heel for a while now and if we sorted it out we'd be flying. However, the promising aspect from Saturday is that we should have won it, it wasn't one of those games where we didn't play well or create chances. If we keep performing like that against teams lower in the table then we'll beat more teams than we fail to.

My gripes come from those who haven't seen the game who start spouting off on here despite not knowing that it was a disappointing result but with a decent performance. They just have their own agendas which they fail to see past.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 29
arryarryarry
December 1, 2014, 3:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from mariner91

Absolutely, which is understandable as it's been our Achilles heel for a while now and if we sorted it out we'd be flying. However, the promising aspect from Saturday is that we should have won it, it wasn't one of those games where we didn't play well or create chances. If we keep performing like that against teams lower in the table then we'll beat more teams than we fail to.

My gripes come from those who haven't seen the game who start spouting off on here despite not knowing that it was a disappointing result but with a decent performance. They just have their own agendas which they fail to see past.

Again, can't disagree with that, however the most balmy thing I ever read was someone on the official  forum giving a man of the match by just listening to JT.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 29
Mrs Doyle
December 1, 2014, 4:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Mc Kewon should never have been beaten from there that was a howler by any decent keepers standard. Their keeper on the other hand had a blinder and kept them in it. How the feck anyone can blame Hurst for that is beyond me, That just reinforces my earlier post about the knee jerking goons on here. Manager of the month.only lost one match in ages, most in form team not so long ago, second in the league. WTF IS UP WITH SOME OF YOU? The strikers missed some sitters how can HURST do more? they made chances it's not his fault if the strikers he has at is disposal can't put the thing in the fecking net.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 29
RichMariner
December 1, 2014, 4:19pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
John Still and Richard Money had their critics last season. I think every fan of a side that is a 'traditional' league club has a shorter fuse the longer we remain in the Conference, so one defeat - or two dropped points, as was the case at the weekend - is amplified and feels much worse than it actually is.

Since returning to 4-4-2 we've played better attacking football. Let's hope Hurst saw enough in that draw at Telford to persist with 4-4-2 over Christmas and New Year because I'm convinced we can win those games and continue to challenge Barnet.

I also hope that we'll see more from Mackreth now that he's got his debut goal. Don't think it was the cleverest move by Hurst to sub him afterwards, but then I've said on more than one occasion that Hurst's weakest area is his inability to manage his attacking players effectively.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 26 - 29
grimsby pete
December 1, 2014, 4:33pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
How is it the best keeper in this league keeps been beaten from shots that are 25 to 35 yds away,

If that player hit the ball from inside the penalty box,

Macca would have saved it.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 29
Paul62
December 1, 2014, 5:18pm

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +9
I was at the game, but for those that weren't I personally think those highlights don't give a true reflection on towns style of play which is frustrating so many fans. Apart from the opening 20 mins we played hoof ball bypassing the midfield. All the best chances and goal came from playing the ball through on the deck. What is apparent from this game is a complete lack of sharpness in front of goal. Once their keeper made a couple of decent saves our confidence waned and we didn't take chances any team in form would have.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 29
forza ivano
December 1, 2014, 5:26pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
bizarrely telford have taken 9 of their 14 points against the top teams - beaten welling and torquay, drawn with us barnet and kiddy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 29
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Telford Highlights

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.