Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 4-3-3. Is it working?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 353 Guests

4-3-3. Is it working?

This thread currently has 4,102 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
November 23, 2014, 2:20pm
Guest User
Quoted from GrimRob

If they are better then us how come we are second and most of them are in the bottom half?

how did we do against them????? good point dock tower.
Reply: 20 - 33
Abdul19
November 23, 2014, 2:29pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Quoted from GrimRob

If they are better then us how come we are second and most of them are in the bottom half?

Using the league table as a guide? Ridiculous idea!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
headingly_mariner
November 23, 2014, 4:58pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from ginnywings

Was it our worst performance though? Apart from the result, the Halifax game wasn't great. Oxford murdered us. I also give you Southport and Altrincham in the recent past and another couple of bore draws at the start of the season. We had a holding midfielder whose natural inclination is as a defender, yet they had unmarked players in forward positions on a few occasions, two of which led to goals for them.

Fair enough playing that away from home but we should be  more attacking at home, especially against a side in recent turmoil like Kiddy.

Yes I really think it was, we had so many attacking options but were set up too conservatively, we played really well 1st half against Halifax and we were unlucky against Altrincham I thought. We've struggled at home but our away form has been amazing, I do think he has to differ in his approach at home but I reckon he will figure that out. Defensively we are usually sound and tough to beat, I'd like to see clay, Disley and brown as the midfield when we are at home and Pittman added to a front three. The problem with Oxford was that he went for a line up that was too attacking, it's about finding that balance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
Madeleymariner
November 23, 2014, 5:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Yes I really think it was, we had so many attacking options but were set up too conservatively, we played really well 1st half against Halifax and we were unlucky against Altrincham I thought. We've struggled at home but our away form has been amazing, I do think he has to differ in his approach at home but I reckon he will figure that out. Defensively we are usually sound and tough to beat, I'd like to see clay, Disley and brown as the midfield when we are at home and Pittman added to a front three. The problem with Oxford was that he went for a line up that was too attacking, it's about finding that balance.

Defensively we are not that good, all these 1-0 wins have come from opposing teams missing a sitter against us week in and week out, eg Halifax, Kiddy away, Wrexham away, draws that would of been defeats eg last min pen for Dover, then Altrincham and Dartford away.
Dont expect us to to outplay any team much this season with negative tactics and hope the other team dont score.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
grimsby pete
November 23, 2014, 7:01pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221

Oh dear, I honestly think he got the selection wrong yesterday, but that happens, the fact you had a 13hr round trip to witness our worst performance of the season doesn't make the situation more serious, it just means you've been unlucky. We are 2nd in the league and still in with a shout. Couple of wins and you'll be banging on about how we will win the league.

We were not very good at Dartford or Braintree either,

I think it will take more than a couple of wins to change my mind now,

Too many disappointments.

I have said before we have the players but not the right system,

Only one man can put that right,

But will he ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
headingly_mariner
November 23, 2014, 7:28pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Madeleymariner

Defensively we are not that good, all these 1-0 wins have come from opposing teams missing a sitter against us week in and week out, eg Halifax, Kiddy away, Wrexham away, draws that would of been defeats eg last min pen for Dover, then Altrincham and Dartford away.
Dont expect us to to outplay any team much this season with negative tactics and hope the other team dont score.

Do we not have the best defence in the league???
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
Garth
November 23, 2014, 7:47pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25

Do we not have the best defence in the league???

Can`t argue with that although a neutral would find it hard to believe watching their first goal  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
BIGChris
November 23, 2014, 7:49pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from jimgtfc
Away from home a 451 can be very effective as it's built for the counter attack against home teams who are supposed to be pushing on.

At home it doesn't work because the emphasis is on us to attack. We don't play the system right. You must play it as a 433 with the 2 wide players playing high up looking to get into the space behind their full back and centre half which pulls there defence apart. You also need to get midfielders making runs past your centre forward, not all at once and needs to be recognised by the midfielder when to go.

Yesterday Nielson kept drifting inside with and without the ball, he may look effective going past players that way but he's not hurting anyone and kiddi knew that and where quite prepared to let him do it. Arnold plays the system well at times but not often enough.

I can't remember Pell or Brown getting anywhere near John Lewis yesterday never mind beyond him. Not good enough on their part? Or tactical instructions? Not sure.

433 could work at this level, but we clearly don't know how to play it when the emphasis is on us to attack. Therefore it has to be 442 on Tuesday.  

Jim, I may have disagreed with you over Thomas last night but this post is spot on IMO.
The bit about getting midfielders beyond strikers is the key.
I know Alfreton were poor but Craig clay made some great runs from deep getting beyond the front men AND their defence as did Nielson in that game.

No idea why we haven't done it much since or, if I am honest, why Clay has found himself on the bench?
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 33
denni266
November 23, 2014, 8:24pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +634
Gold Stars: 128
Someone should point out to hurst that we are not playing away when we are at blundell park just because it is in cleethorpes and not in grimsby
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 33
headingly_mariner
November 23, 2014, 8:25pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from BIGChris

Jim, I may have disagreed with you over Thomas last night but this post is spot on IMO.
The bit about getting midfielders beyond strikers is the key.
I know Alfreton were poor but Craig clay made some great runs from deep getting beyond the front men AND their defence as did Nielson in that game.

No idea why we haven't done it much since or, if I am honest, why Clay has found himself on the bench?

Completely agree with this, I think for a spell before he got injured he really made us tick and drove us forward from the middle of the park. I have a feeling that Hurst likes his loan players to play but I think Pell has really let us down last two games and that Clay is the better player.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 4-3-3. Is it working?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.