Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 4-3-3. Is it working?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 247 Guests

4-3-3. Is it working?

This thread currently has 4,105 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Tangerine Chris
November 23, 2014, 9:10am
Old git with a sense of humour
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: -24
I dont think it matters what formation we play, Plan A will always be hoof the ball up to Lenny, and there is never a Plan B

IF YOU PLAY FOR THE BADGE ON THE FRONT OF YOUR SHIRT
THEY WILL REMEMBER THE NAME ON THE BACK OF IT

You can change your wife, your house, your car, but you can never change your team.
Chairmen come and go, boards come and go, but the fans remain.
They are the one true constant

Eddie Thompson OBE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 33
oldun
November 23, 2014, 10:26am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Up until yesterday the formation, whatever it is had gained 16 points from 18. Yesterday the wheels came off and we could not recover. Having said that, at home something is not right, and I feel we can manage without anyone in the holding role at least to start with as we should always look to take the game to the opposition. By all means put one on later to help see the game out. At home if want to play 3 in midfield they should all be more attack minded  to get forward and support the front three and at least 1 should break into the box. Currently my  front 3 would be Brown, Clay and Disley and Ihope they start onTues.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 33
jimgtfc
November 23, 2014, 10:32am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,012
Gold Stars: 40
Away from home a 451 can be very effective as it's built for the counter attack against home teams who are supposed to be pushing on.

At home it doesn't work because the emphasis is on us to attack. We don't play the system right. You must play it as a 433 with the 2 wide players playing high up looking to get into the space behind their full back and centre half which pulls there defence apart. You also need to get midfielders making runs past your centre forward, not all at once and needs to be recognised by the midfielder when to go.

Yesterday Nielson kept drifting inside with and without the ball, he may look effective going past players that way but he's not hurting anyone and kiddi knew that and where quite prepared to let him do it. Arnold plays the system well at times but not often enough.

I can't remember Pell or Brown getting anywhere near John Lewis yesterday never mind beyond him. Not good enough on their part? Or tactical instructions? Not sure.

433 could work at this level, but we clearly don't know how to play it when the emphasis is on us to attack. Therefore it has to be 442 on Tuesday.  

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 33
grimsby pete
November 23, 2014, 11:24am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from ginnywings
All down to Hurst. Formations mean intercourse all if the players have a negative mindset ingrained by the boring negative manager.

Hurst's mantra is "defence is the best form of defence"

He has the charisma of a plank of wood.

Bring on the red crosses. I'll be so hurt by them.

Nail on head,

We will never see an attacking Town while Hurst is in charge,

I made the long trip up from Suffolk yesterday,

It will be a long time before I make that trip again,

BUT

I will always love my club and pop up the road to see them when they are down south,

Hurst will you please tell me why I should spend 13 hours away from home to watch that rubbish ?

Its not the players its the way you have got them playing.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 33
headingly_mariner
November 23, 2014, 11:46am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from grimsby pete

Nail on head,

BUT

I will always love my club and pop up the road to see them when they are down south,

Hurst will you please tell me why I should spend 13 hours away from home to watch that rubbish ?

Oh dear, I honestly think he got the selection wrong yesterday, but that happens, the fact you had a 13hr round trip to witness our worst performance of the season doesn't make the situation more serious, it just means you've been unlucky. We are 2nd in the league and still in with a shout. Couple of wins and you'll be banging on about how we will win the league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 33
Garth
November 23, 2014, 11:55am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Oh dear, I honestly think he got the selection wrong yesterday, but that happens, the fact you had a 13hr round trip to witness our worst performance of the season doesn't make the situation more serious, it just means you've been unlucky. We are 2nd in the league and still in with a shout. Couple of wins and you'll be banging on about how we will win the league.

God I hope you are right, Tuesday will be a real test if we perform like yesterday, I really can`t see the advantage of Pell and Parsley over Paddy and Clay as midfield players
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 33
rancido
November 23, 2014, 12:17pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,447
Gold Stars: 91
What I didn't understand about yesterdays setup was if Parslow was the holding mid-fielder then he should have been the link between the two centre-backs and the mid-field. Not once did I see him make himself available when either of our two centre-backs was in possession. More often than not it was Brown coming back so Parslow in effect had no role to play.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 33
cmackenzie4
November 23, 2014, 12:26pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from grimsby pete

Nail on head,

BUT

That question is easy to answer Pete...Steels fish and chips!  

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 33
brad_gtfc
November 23, 2014, 1:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
Yes and no, personally I'd like to see us go back 4-4-2

Nielson   Clay   Brown   Arnold

LJL   Pittman
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 33
ginnywings
November 23, 2014, 2:13pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Was it our worst performance though? Apart from the result, the Halifax game wasn't great. Oxford murdered us. I also give you Southport and Altrincham in the recent past and another couple of bore draws at the start of the season. We had a holding midfielder whose natural inclination is as a defender, yet they had unmarked players in forward positions on a few occasions, two of which led to goals for them.

Fair enough playing that away from home but we should be  more attacking at home, especially against a side in recent turmoil like Kiddy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 4-3-3. Is it working?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.