Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 239 Guests

Just back.

This thread currently has 9,089 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
BIGChris
November 11, 2014, 11:00pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from LondonMariner43
I wasn't at the game but frankly I don't care if it wasn't a great performance.  We have won four league games in a row, haven't conceded in three, haven't lost in the league since October and 2nd in the table, now only 6 points behind Barnet.  It may all go pear shaped from here, but what's not to like about the current state of affairs.  Oh and did I mention that we have a near fully fit squad, a couple of promising loan signings and we have been able to send a couple of promising youngsters out on loan to gain experience.  I was calling for PH to go after the Southport game but really can't argue with the results since.

Five league wins on the bounce but agree, cannot be anything other than positive
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 62
Mighty_Mariner
November 11, 2014, 11:05pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from LondonMariner43
I wasn't at the game but frankly I don't care if it wasn't a great performance.  We have won four league games in a row, haven't conceded in three, haven't lost in the league since October and 2nd in the table, now only 6 points behind Barnet.  It may all go pear shaped from here, but what's not to like about the current state of affairs.  Oh and did I mention that we have a near fully fit squad, a couple of promising loan signings and we have been able to send a couple of promising youngsters out on loan to gain experience.  I was calling for PH to go after the Southport game but really can't argue with the results since.

That's 5 league wins in a row mate not 4

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 62
Garth
November 11, 2014, 11:06pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Fantastic win against an agriculture outfit, our keeper could have got his pipe and slippers out for most of the game. whereas their keeper performed heroics to keep the score to one.

Poor following from them showing just how tin pot they are
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 62
jimgtfc
November 11, 2014, 11:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,094
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from BIGChris
Loved it.
The sort of game that asks questions of attitude and application and all the players stood up to be counted. Silky smooth tippy tappy football? Certainly not, but a full blooded game which I thoroughly enjoyed. Even more so with the other results.

Toto & Shaun were solid, and needed to be, and Arnold pinned them back with excellent running off the ball.

As above McKeown hardly had a save to make.

UTM

That's how I saw it, really good game. We were the better team first half and could have been 2 or 3 up at the break. They came out a bit more second half but we defended well, Pearson in particular was outstanding and my motm.

Disagree with you though Chris about Toto, he worries me. He gets sucked out of position far too often challenging for balls he shouldn't be, leaving big gaps in behind him. Pearson is constantly shouting and pointing to him. Makes me wonder if this is why Hurst is so keen to have a holding midfielder in front of them, to try stop Toto coming out of position. He just looks like an accident waiting to happen to me.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 62
moosey_club
November 11, 2014, 11:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Totally dominant 44 mins first half, midfield shape and workrate forced Halifax into a very low standard of hoofball, some neat interplay but LJL wasting 2/3 opportunities. Thank god for a decent corner.......at last!!!!  
Once we scored Halifax stepped up and looked more threatening up until the break. Fantastic defensive block at the death by Disley to preserve our deserved lead at H.T.  I did feel at half time we may rue the missed opportunities come full time.
After the break Halifax continued where they left off, much brighter although very rigid route one approach, they looked to have countered and got to grips with our shape with their half time shuffle. We on the other hand didnt react at all and as narrow as we were gave up plenty of space for them to exploit and bomb balls in. Some very determined blocks and tackles....nervy times.
To me i thought it was their second substitution that actually gave us a bit of momentum back and we settled, playing some tidy triangle football but without creating too much of note. The midfield noticeably not getting up and around LJL as much as the first half.
While at 1-0 with such a big and direct side and a gradually retreating back line i think most of us were nervy and sweating.....ultimately.held on without too many real scares, a couple of excellent of free kicks which flew past the post and a couple of aeriel scrambles.
Would have liked to have seen us make a tactical switch when the momentum was turning against us but another clean sheet from a very physical test, how LJL got booked for that perfect tackle i dont know and how they finished with 11 men i dont know as some very cynical and physical fouls for them.
UTM

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 62
LondonMariner43
November 11, 2014, 11:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,942
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from BIGChris

Five league wins on the bounce but agree, cannot be anything other than positive

I can't count!  Five is even better.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 62
Maringer
November 11, 2014, 11:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,491
Gold Stars: 185
I thought Toto did well but for the two free-kicks he sloppily gave away at the start of the second half. Pearson a definite Man of the Match both for his goal and the number of times he got his head on the ball in both boxes. Neilson did some good stuff in the first half but was generally not involved in the second half so I was amazed that he was given the MotM award and people are wondering why he was eventually subbed!

Great defensive work against a gigantic team who chucked the kitchen sink at us throughout the second half but I'm pleased that they got nothing out of the game as being big, aggressive and direct shouldn't be enough to win points, however well you do it. I thought Parslow did well in the defensive midfield role and covered adequately at full-back after Magnay's departure. Hopefully Magnay's injury isn't bad as he was excellent again tonight until he had to go off and we look much better with him in the team.

I'd also say that tonight did show why we need to strengthen our forward options to some degree. LJL did well pretty much on his own up front for most of the game but was so knackered for the last 20 or so minutes that he barely won a header. Pittman is no weakling but I think we could do with another 'big' striker to give us another option in games. Hopefully we will be near the top of the table when the transfer window re-opens to help Hurst to sign another decent striker (or two).  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 62
TownSNAFU5
November 12, 2014, 12:05am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
A deserved 3 points in a key game against promotion rivals. A very good performance and result that was similar to wins over Wrexham and Forest Green a couple of seasons ago.

Onwards and upwards.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 62
MyDogsThoughts
November 12, 2014, 12:15am

Woof Woof!!!
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +43 / -12
Approval: +38
Just Back from a local CAMRA Meeting: chuffed to bits with the result. Onwards and hopefully upwards.

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0viO-Dm52sM/Rz9JfAGEp6I/AAAAAAAAD8Y/QB-YolLcMJ8/s320/big%2Bbones.jpg[/img]

"I Love Bones, But I Think I'll Lick My Balls Now"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 62
Kymariner12
November 12, 2014, 12:20am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: +102
5 league wins in a row and 4 clean sheets in those games, roll on Alty where I will be in attendance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.