Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 294 Guests

Just back.

This thread currently has 9,070 views. Print
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
November 11, 2014, 9:58pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Better team in the first half and deserved our lead. Second half was a struggle and we just can't seem to get a comfortable lead in a game.

Why was Neilson subbed again?

3 points but not convincing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
WOZOFGRIMSBY
November 11, 2014, 10:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,795
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from ginnywings
Better team in the first half and deserved our lead. Second half was a struggle and we just can't seem to get a comfortable lead in a game.

I felt when 5th went in at Gateshead and the 6th v alfreton

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 62
Hagrid
November 11, 2014, 10:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,390
Gold Stars: 529
They didnt threaten for me, apart from long throws and crosses, did macca have a shot to save.......? I thought we were better 1st half and. Deserved lead, pearson and dis very good tonight, lets go again on saturday!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 62
November 11, 2014, 10:12pm
Guest User
To be fair to our lads, these are the kind of games that champions come through and somehow get the points. I don't think we ever looked at our fluent best but it's hard to play football against sides like Halifax. They have no intention of getting involved in a football match, they sling the ball in from almost any angle and put you under pressure. I thought we stood up to their aerial onslaught magnificently. Dizza won more than his fair share of headers against lads twice his size. John Lewis worked hard, it was tough for him playing with his back to goal, he didn't get a lot of help and looked isolated, we really do need to get the wide players closer to him and the midfield needs to break beyond the defence as we are often 2 against 5 or 1 against 4. Special mention to Shaun Pearson who grabbed his second goal in as many games with a powerful header from our only decent corner of the half. Not a classic game but a vital three points.

UTM!
Reply: 3 - 62
Meza
November 11, 2014, 10:16pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from ginnywings

Not sure why Ginny but it was the 85th min he was subbed, maybe to give them something to think about with Mackreth's pace.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 62
HackneyHaddock
November 11, 2014, 10:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
"Bit quite."

And long may it remain so.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 62
barralad
November 11, 2014, 10:21pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
Quite an interesting game to watch. Not really the sort of game you are going to see silky smooth skilful football. Agree we were definitely the best team first half. Their keepers save from I think Neilson was world class. He followed it up with tipping Arnold's dipping effort over in the second half.
Second half you'd have expected them to come at us but we dealt well with everything they could throw at us-even if some of the blocks smacked of desperate defending. Plenty of effort and application and you can't really ask for much more.
No-one stood out for me really. Neilson very good in parts but faded second half. Toto and Pearson bossed our penalty area.

On to Alty now-we owe them one.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 62
highcliff mariner
November 11, 2014, 10:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
Quoted from Meza

Not sure why Ginny but it was the 85th min he was subbed, maybe to give them something to think about with Mackreth's pace.

Ah the mythical pace , perhaps he left it in the dressing room

Private Message
Reply: 7 - 62
forza ivano
November 11, 2014, 10:27pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,135
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from barralad
Quite an interesting game to watch. Not really the sort of game you are going to see silky smooth skilful football. Agree we were definitely the best team first half. Their keepers save from I think Neilson was world class. He followed it up with tipping Arnold's dipping effort over in the second half.
Second half you'd have expected them to come at us but we dealt well with everything they could throw at us-even if some of the blocks smacked of desperate defending. Plenty of effort and application and you can't really ask for much more.
No-one stood out for me really. Neilson very good in parts but faded second half. Toto and Pearson bossed our penalty area.

On to Alty now-we owe them one.

Another bogey team for us.lets hope they go the same way as halifax and braintree
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 62
WappingMariner
November 11, 2014, 10:27pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +125
We now officially have the best defensive record in the league. Conceded only 14 goals in 20 matches. Barnet have conceded 17 in the same number of games.

We've got Jason Pearcey, number one, we've got the best team in the land...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 62
Meza
November 11, 2014, 10:28pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
I do have one thing to say about Halifax

You have been WEIGHED.......you have been MEASURED.....and you have been found WANTING

We are Town...we are town..we are town...we are town..we are town we are townnnnn...we are town

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 62
WappingMariner
November 11, 2014, 10:28pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from WappingMariner
We now officially have the best defensive record in the league. Conceded only 14 goals in 20 matches. Barnet have conceded 17 in the same number of games.

Bristol Rovers have conceded 16 in 19 games.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 62
DocTower
November 11, 2014, 10:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from ginnywings

Thats the way I saw it . 3 points gained , forgettable game .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 62
oldun
November 11, 2014, 10:40pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Deservedly in front at half time. Halifax  put us under pressure during the second half, not by playing good football just by launching the ball forward, hitting free kicks and corners into our box and launching long throws. Not pretty but could have led to them nicking something, but our defence stood firm and we had chances and near misses at the other end. Arnold had an excellent 90 mins, worked hard and showed great skill at times. Pearson was immense and scored with an excellent header. How Neilson got man of the match ?I just don't know. He had a good first half but disappeared after the break. hurst was right to bring him off. A great 3 points from a good team effort.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 62
BIGChris
November 11, 2014, 10:41pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Loved it.
The sort of game that asks questions of attitude and application and all the players stood up to be counted. Silky smooth tippy tappy football? Certainly not, but a full blooded game which I thoroughly enjoyed. Even more so with the other results.

Toto & Shaun were solid, and needed to be, and Arnold pinned them back with excellent running off the ball.

As above McKeown hardly had a save to make.

UTM
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 62
forza ivano
November 11, 2014, 10:42pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,135
Gold Stars: 265
Just beginning to wonder if Arnold is going to be a very significant addition.seen him 2 or 3 times and he's made a difference every time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 62
mariner91
November 11, 2014, 10:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,580
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from forza ivano
Just beginning to wonder if Arnold is going to be a very significant addition.seen him 2 or 3 times and he's made a difference every time

Nah he's shite, ask Tagg.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 62
BIGChris
November 11, 2014, 10:50pm
Season Ticket Holder
I always think that the strength of a club is summed up by who is on the bench. The 5 sat in the dug out PLUS Paddy and Biggie couldn't even get in the squad. that says a lot as I would expect them to get in virtually every other team in the league.

Not getting carried away but 5 consecutive wins in the league is a huge positive.

When, and I am sure it will happen, we lose we need to bounce back straight away and start another run.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 62
LondonMariner43
November 11, 2014, 10:50pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,935
Gold Stars: 64
I wasn't at the game but frankly I don't care if it wasn't a great performance.  We have won four league games in a row, haven't conceded in three, haven't lost in the league since October and 2nd in the table, now only 6 points behind Barnet.  It may all go pear shaped from here, but what's not to like about the current state of affairs.  Oh and did I mention that we have a near fully fit squad, a couple of promising loan signings and we have been able to send a couple of promising youngsters out on loan to gain experience.  I was calling for PH to go after the Southport game but really can't argue with the results since.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 62
headingly_mariner
November 11, 2014, 11:00pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from mariner91

Nah he's shite, ask Tagg.

I am told he's homesick  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 62
BIGChris
November 11, 2014, 11:00pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from LondonMariner43
I wasn't at the game but frankly I don't care if it wasn't a great performance.  We have won four league games in a row, haven't conceded in three, haven't lost in the league since October and 2nd in the table, now only 6 points behind Barnet.  It may all go pear shaped from here, but what's not to like about the current state of affairs.  Oh and did I mention that we have a near fully fit squad, a couple of promising loan signings and we have been able to send a couple of promising youngsters out on loan to gain experience.  I was calling for PH to go after the Southport game but really can't argue with the results since.

Five league wins on the bounce but agree, cannot be anything other than positive
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 62
Mighty_Mariner
November 11, 2014, 11:05pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from LondonMariner43

That's 5 league wins in a row mate not 4

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 62
Garth
November 11, 2014, 11:06pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Fantastic win against an agriculture outfit, our keeper could have got his pipe and slippers out for most of the game. whereas their keeper performed heroics to keep the score to one.

Poor following from them showing just how tin pot they are
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 62
jimgtfc
November 11, 2014, 11:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,066
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from BIGChris
Loved it.
The sort of game that asks questions of attitude and application and all the players stood up to be counted. Silky smooth tippy tappy football? Certainly not, but a full blooded game which I thoroughly enjoyed. Even more so with the other results.

Toto & Shaun were solid, and needed to be, and Arnold pinned them back with excellent running off the ball.

As above McKeown hardly had a save to make.

UTM

That's how I saw it, really good game. We were the better team first half and could have been 2 or 3 up at the break. They came out a bit more second half but we defended well, Pearson in particular was outstanding and my motm.

Disagree with you though Chris about Toto, he worries me. He gets sucked out of position far too often challenging for balls he shouldn't be, leaving big gaps in behind him. Pearson is constantly shouting and pointing to him. Makes me wonder if this is why Hurst is so keen to have a holding midfielder in front of them, to try stop Toto coming out of position. He just looks like an accident waiting to happen to me.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 62
moosey_club
November 11, 2014, 11:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,213
Gold Stars: 226
Totally dominant 44 mins first half, midfield shape and workrate forced Halifax into a very low standard of hoofball, some neat interplay but LJL wasting 2/3 opportunities. Thank god for a decent corner.......at last!!!!  
Once we scored Halifax stepped up and looked more threatening up until the break. Fantastic defensive block at the death by Disley to preserve our deserved lead at H.T.  I did feel at half time we may rue the missed opportunities come full time.
After the break Halifax continued where they left off, much brighter although very rigid route one approach, they looked to have countered and got to grips with our shape with their half time shuffle. We on the other hand didnt react at all and as narrow as we were gave up plenty of space for them to exploit and bomb balls in. Some very determined blocks and tackles....nervy times.
To me i thought it was their second substitution that actually gave us a bit of momentum back and we settled, playing some tidy triangle football but without creating too much of note. The midfield noticeably not getting up and around LJL as much as the first half.
While at 1-0 with such a big and direct side and a gradually retreating back line i think most of us were nervy and sweating.....ultimately.held on without too many real scares, a couple of excellent of free kicks which flew past the post and a couple of aeriel scrambles.
Would have liked to have seen us make a tactical switch when the momentum was turning against us but another clean sheet from a very physical test, how LJL got booked for that perfect tackle i dont know and how they finished with 11 men i dont know as some very cynical and physical fouls for them.
UTM

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 62
LondonMariner43
November 11, 2014, 11:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,935
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from BIGChris

Five league wins on the bounce but agree, cannot be anything other than positive

I can't count!  Five is even better.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 62
Maringer
November 11, 2014, 11:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
I thought Toto did well but for the two free-kicks he sloppily gave away at the start of the second half. Pearson a definite Man of the Match both for his goal and the number of times he got his head on the ball in both boxes. Neilson did some good stuff in the first half but was generally not involved in the second half so I was amazed that he was given the MotM award and people are wondering why he was eventually subbed!

Great defensive work against a gigantic team who chucked the kitchen sink at us throughout the second half but I'm pleased that they got nothing out of the game as being big, aggressive and direct shouldn't be enough to win points, however well you do it. I thought Parslow did well in the defensive midfield role and covered adequately at full-back after Magnay's departure. Hopefully Magnay's injury isn't bad as he was excellent again tonight until he had to go off and we look much better with him in the team.

I'd also say that tonight did show why we need to strengthen our forward options to some degree. LJL did well pretty much on his own up front for most of the game but was so knackered for the last 20 or so minutes that he barely won a header. Pittman is no weakling but I think we could do with another 'big' striker to give us another option in games. Hopefully we will be near the top of the table when the transfer window re-opens to help Hurst to sign another decent striker (or two).  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 62
TownSNAFU5
November 12, 2014, 12:05am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,863
Gold Stars: 42
A deserved 3 points in a key game against promotion rivals. A very good performance and result that was similar to wins over Wrexham and Forest Green a couple of seasons ago.

Onwards and upwards.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 62
MyDogsThoughts
November 12, 2014, 12:15am

Woof Woof!!!
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +43 / -12
Approval: +38
Just Back from a local CAMRA Meeting: chuffed to bits with the result. Onwards and hopefully upwards.

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0viO-Dm52sM/Rz9JfAGEp6I/AAAAAAAAD8Y/QB-YolLcMJ8/s320/big%2Bbones.jpg[/img]

"I Love Bones, But I Think I'll Lick My Balls Now"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 62
Kymariner12
November 12, 2014, 12:20am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: +102
5 league wins in a row and 4 clean sheets in those games, roll on Alty where I will be in attendance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 62
horsforthmariner
November 12, 2014, 12:32am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,588
Gold Stars: 9
I think I must have been watching another game to everyone else. We stopped a team in fourth place from pretty much creating anything all night. Arnold and Thomas worked so hard and our centres halves completely bossed halifax's frontline.

It was never going to be pretty it's Halifax we were playing.o be honest 3-0 wouldn't have flattered us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 62
chaos33
November 12, 2014, 12:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,871
Gold Stars: 353
Just back. Quick beer and bed. Agree with lots of points made by BC, Moosey, Barra, Maringer, BP Vicar etc. I enjoyed the game and thought we were comfortably the better side. We totally controlled the first 45, and were much better than them tactically and technically. I thought it was imperative that we scored in the first half so we had something to show for the pressure and chances we created. Thankfully we did get a goal from a rare good corner.

Overall an excellent, hardworking display if a bit lacking in finesse at times, especially in the later stages. We didn't manage to put them under too much pressure second half, but they changed their system to nullify us at least twice, without ever looking like scoring themselves I didn't think. In fact, I was very unimpressed with them and thought they looked short on skill and lacking much of a method. Their team is essentially built around their centre-midfield, and we totally dominated that area for most of the game, making them look very much second best.

Everybody turned in a decent performance - Neilson was superb in the first half, picking the ball up in all sorts of places, pulling their shape apart and making things happen. His effort from outside the box was brilliant and brought an equally magnificent save. Pell did really well first half and Disley and Nathan Arnold were superb throughout I thought, hardly putting a foot wrong. They were involved in all of our best bits of play. Pearson impressive as everyone has said.

We did more than enough to win, and even though we weren't able to score the second goal I never really worried about the outcome - which is rare at BP. A very good night's work, and a great Barnet result to cap it off.  

UTM

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 62
Abdul19
November 12, 2014, 12:53am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
Pearson and Arnold superb, Nsiala good apart from those 2 daft fouls at the start of the 2nd half, everyone else decent. Halifax put us under pressure without creating anything - if they're one of the best sides in the league it says a lot about the quality (but if they'd had that extra day they'd have been ace, obviously).

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 62
Youngy
November 12, 2014, 7:13am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,667
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from ginnywings

He was subbed with 5 minutes to go FFS. It was clearly a move to waste time and bring on somebody who was going to chase the ball into corners. Neilson did very well first 45 but faded second half. Didn't deserve man of the match over Pearson, Disley or Arnold.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 62
gobby
November 12, 2014, 7:18am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +772
Gold Stars: 7
Deserved hard fought  win, and a mention must go to Ross Joyce as this was an excellent display from the man in the middle.
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 62
Les Brechin
November 12, 2014, 7:25am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,693
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from gobby
Deserved hard fought  win, and a mention must go to Ross Joyce as this was an excellent display from the man in the middle.
UTMM

Apart from his stupid booking of LJL early on.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 62
gobby
November 12, 2014, 7:35am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +772
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Les Brechin

Apart from his stupid booking of LJL early on.

Did not see what happened there Les, just see the Findus up in arms.
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 62
Maringer
November 12, 2014, 7:42am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
LJL went in for a tackle, challenging two players, but won the tackle even though it appear he was getting shoved by one of the two. Because of the shove there was a collision between the three and one of their players rolled around on the floor holding his shin until the yellow card was brandished, at which point he made a miraculous recovery and jogged off without a hint of a limp.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 62
fleabag1970
November 12, 2014, 8:08am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
With out doubt the sort of performance that gets you out of this league ! Totally dictated the first half , i assume Halifax had come for a Tuesday night point ?? Could have been 2/3 in the end ! Thought Arnold and Nielson were superb , Pell looked very good and Magnay as always was Fantastic .......................This is it people we have the players , attitude and Tactics now we just need a little bit of luck and we will win this League !!!!

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 62
Les Brechin
November 12, 2014, 9:02am

Quoted from fleabag1970
With out doubt the sort of performance that gets you out of this league ! Totally dictated the first half , i assume Halifax had come for a Tuesday night point ?? Could have been 2/3 in the end ! Thought Arnold and Nielson were superb , Pell looked very good and Magnay as always was Fantastic .......................This is it people we have the players , attitude and Tactics now we just need a little bit of luck and we will win this League !!!!

Well, their keeper was definitely playing for the draw from minute one.

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 62
jock dock tower
November 12, 2014, 9:31am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
"Watched" the game on here and the BBC Football section, and some interesting statistics cropped up. We now seem to be bossing teams in terms of percentage possession - 58% to 42% last night, and this is starting to become the norm in the last few games with some possession as high as 67% - against Dartford. So much different to when teams like Southport dominated at BP.

Also, and I don't think I've ever come across this at any football match, ever, there were no corners for either team last night according to the BBC? Have certainly been to games where one team haven't won a corner, but both teams?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 62
Garth
November 12, 2014, 9:33am

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Les Brechin

Well, their keeper was definitely playing for the draw from minute one.

Sure was some fantastic saves, and he was great at finding touch from goal kicks
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 62
The_Laughing_Mariner
November 12, 2014, 9:40am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,041
Gold Stars: 10
If you believe the BBC stats there are no corners in any match

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 62
Rodley Mariner
November 12, 2014, 9:46am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
There were lots of corners. If you want more reliable stats you're better following it on a bookies website in play section. Bet365 is good.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 62
Les Brechin
November 12, 2014, 9:47am

If you believe the BBC stats there are no corners in any match

BBC don't give corner stats for any Conference game for some reason.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 62
WappingMariner
November 12, 2014, 9:51am
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from jock dock tower
"Watched" the game on here and the BBC Football section, and some interesting statistics cropped up. We now seem to be bossing teams in terms of percentage possession - 58% to 42% last night, and this is starting to become the norm in the last few games with some possession as high as 67% - against Dartford. So much different to when teams like Southport dominated at BP.

Also, and I don't think I've ever come across this at any football match, ever, there were no corners for either team last night according to the BBC? Have certainly been to games where one team haven't won a corner, but both teams?

BBC's stats man must've fallen asleep. We scored from a corner.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 62
fiveallive
November 12, 2014, 10:14am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
Really happy with the performance last night, i thought Arnold or Pearson where man of the match, we could have won a lot easier John-Lewis had a good chance with a free header, the best i have seen Pearson play in a few games won everything with Disley in the box, PH has done really good so far this season with Loan players Nathan Arnold, Harry Pell, Andrew Boyce did a good job when he was here and Danny Parslow who i always forget he's on the pitch because he's so solid and good player to have in different positions i hope we can sign him in January, I would like us to keep Harry Pell for the season aswell.

Nathan Arnold's direct running and ability to play on both sides is a great asset to us, i wish Mackreth would do what Arnold does but he seems to lack the pace he's meant to have.

Halifax where nothing great we played them at the right time, all they had where throw in and Corners, you can see why there up there because they came close to scoring the corners and throw ins can go anywhere, we have done great against teams around us just gonna have to put Altincham away on Saturday and keep the run going.

I just think where we would be if we had a full squad start of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 62
oldun
November 12, 2014, 12:20pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I have just remembered the great block on the line by Diz from a corner. He was covering the near post and took a powerful effort in his midrif or privates which doubled him up for a while. Well done that man.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 62
chaos33
November 12, 2014, 12:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,871
Gold Stars: 353
I thought it had hit him in the face but didn't have the best view from the main stand and the ball was travelling!

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 62
Garth
November 12, 2014, 12:43pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from chaos33
I thought it had hit him in the face but didn't have the best view from the main stand and the ball was travelling!

Deserved MOM IMO for putting his family jewels on the line for the team, great block
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 62
Tommy
November 12, 2014, 1:32pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Did anyone get a programme last night?

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 62
BIGChris
November 12, 2014, 1:37pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Tommy

Yes, why?
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 62
November 12, 2014, 1:56pm
Guest User
Quoted from 75
I thought we stood up to their aerial onslaught magnificently.

You can imagine what it looked like in the Pontoon !  

The only impression I can really offer is we looked a bit paniccy and nervy at 1-0.
Completely understandable to a certain degree.

Reply: 52 - 62
Jarmo.Is.God
November 12, 2014, 2:02pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from fiveallive
Really happy with the performance last night, i thought Arnold or Pearson where man of the match, we could have won a lot easier John-Lewis had a good chance with a free header, the best i have seen Pearson play in a few games won everything with Disley in the box, PH has done really good so far this season with Loan players Nathan Arnold, Harry Pell, Andrew Boyce did a good job when he was here and Danny Parslow who i always forget he's on the pitch because he's so solid and good player to have in different positions i hope we can sign him in January, I would like us to keep Harry Pell for the season aswell.

Nathan Arnold's direct running and ability to play on both sides is a great asset to us, i wish Mackreth would do what Arnold does but he seems to lack the pace he's meant to have.

Halifax where nothing great we played them at the right time, all they had where throw in and Corners, you can see why there up there because they came close to scoring the corners and throw ins can go anywhere, we have done great against teams around us just gonna have to put Altincham away on Saturday and keep the run going.

I just think where we would be if we had a full squad start of the season.

agree apart from Arnolds pace.

when he gets going he is bloody fast !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 62
Tommy
November 12, 2014, 2:04pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from BIGChris

Yes, why?

I've sent you a PM Chris.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 62
Les Brechin
November 12, 2014, 2:14pm

Quoted from Tommy

Do you want to know what stickers were in there?  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 62
November 12, 2014, 2:22pm
Guest User
If you could Les ?
I didn't get one myself last night
Seriously though, what were they ?
Reply: 56 - 62
Tommy
November 12, 2014, 2:22pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Les Brechin

Do you want to know what stickers were in there?  

Haha. No, although I am collecting them  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 62
Les Brechin
November 12, 2014, 2:31pm

Quoted from 120797
If you could Les ?
I didn't get one myself last night
Seriously though, what were they ?

I assume it's the same 4 in every programme.

09 - Matt Tees
40 - Nathan Arnold
47 - Jackie Bestall
51 - Caine Winfarrah

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 62
PrestwichMariner
November 12, 2014, 2:35pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +281
Gold Stars: 5

09 - Matt Tees
40 - Nathan Arnold
47 - Jackie Bestall
51 - Caine Winfarrah

That goes from the sublime to the ridiculous!!

Wearing badges is not enough in days like these!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 62
November 12, 2014, 2:38pm
Guest User
Got, got, got, got.
Thanks guys.
Reply: 60 - 62
November 13, 2014, 6:22pm
Guest User
Quoted from moosey_club
Totally dominant 44 mins first half

Well not sure I'd go that far after seeing a near sitter flash past the post.
From watching and reading everyone's comments still think we deserved to win though and agree with Chris about the bench and those players in the stand.
Quoted from moosey_club
nervy times.

Along with dropping deep we've seen it before.
Not that you can ever blame them too much for having one eye on the lead.

But said myself at H/T:
"Hope we don't drop too deep at half time. If we get the 2nd the floodgates could open."

Not saying we sat back or didn't try to increase the lead.
But have seen a lack of "composure" in previous games too and think it needs working on IMO.
Quoted from moosey_club
playing some tidy triangle football but without creating too much of note.

That's the impression I got at times in the Ponny 2nd half too.

Looked to me like we passed quite well round the box at certain times.
But did we overdo the "pass pass pass" ?
If we could throw in the odd bit of skill or creativity (you don't always need to run) it helps make you less predictable.

From the little I saw I'd say with Halfax's packed defence, we weren't always exactly sure what to do.
Now not knocking the tactics or team selection here at all...
But maybe the truth is it's easier to "link up" with 2 up front (course it leaves you more exposed in other areas !...)
Most have said Neilson faded 2nd half so can only guess this maybe didn't help either.
Quoted from jock dock tower
So much different to when teams like Southport dominated at BP.

True though Southport were a very good side on the night (very good results since !)
Still, my slight concern about "unlocking" teams who come to defend in numbers in open play remains.

Like all these things, not saying it's easy to improve and get even better...
Reply: 61 - 62
moosey_club
November 14, 2014, 4:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,213
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from 120797

Well not sure I'd go that far after seeing a near sitter flash past the post.
From watching and reading everyone's comments still think we deserved to win though and agree with Chris about the bench and those players in the stand.

That was in the 1 minute we werent dominant, as i identified,  do pay attention 80's.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 62
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.